7840 just got update?

Search This thread

Leader2light

Jul 23, 2010
From xBIGREDDx

• Lollipop 5.1.0
• Enhanced access via Quick settings for Wifi and Bluetooth.
• UI enhancements - Volume slider.
• New animations on the Clock app.
• Improved SD Card support (Fixed bug that prevented some apps from being moved to SD Card)
• Updated localization, Four additional languages added - Danish (Denmark), Finnish (Finland/Sweden), Norwegian, Swedish (Finland & Sweden).
• Depth processing improvements for Dell Gallery
• Added two new Dell Live wallpapers
• Miscellaneous bug fixes

MAKE SURE TO HAVE ENOUGH FREE SPACE or update fails.

OTA process failed, I think I also had an out of space issue?

Code:
I/SystemUpdateOTA(16111): Copy file from /storage/emulated/0/update.zip to /data/data/com.dell.systemupdateota/update.zip
I/SystemUpdateOTA(16111): Fail to copy package to /data/data/com.dell.systemupdateota/update.zip
EDIT: OTA is 1GB and I only had 750MB free. Trying again.

EDIT2: Update successful on tablet that was rooted. Lost root though. First boot took maybe 10 minutes sitting at the "intel inside" screen.
Also, Developer Options now has an "OEM unlocking" option, but 'fastboot oem unlock' doesn't seem to work. Not sure if this is normal or a side-effect of having been rooted and/or having the developer firmware previously installed. I won't have much time today to mess with it but I can maybe upload the update.zip in a few hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chyrio

xBIGREDDx

Apr 29, 2011
Got the release notes from logcat:
• Lollipop 5.1.0
• Improved SD Card support (Fixed bug that prevented some apps from being moved to SD Card)
• Updated localization, Four additional languages added - Danish (Denmark), Finnish (Finland/Sweden), Norwegian, Swedish (Finland & Sweden).

Code:
I/SystemUpdateOTA(16111): Copy file from /storage/emulated/0/update.zip to /data/data/com.dell.systemupdateota/update.zip
I/SystemUpdateOTA(16111): Fail to copy package to /data/data/com.dell.systemupdateota/update.zip

EDIT2: Update successful on tablet that was rooted. Lost root though. First boot took maybe 10 minutes sitting at the "intel inside" screen.
Also, Developer Options now has an "OEM unlocking" option, but 'fastboot oem unlock' doesn't seem to work. Not sure if this is normal or a side-effect of having been rooted and/or having the developer firmware previously installed. I won't have much time today to mess with it but I can maybe upload the update.zip in a few hours.

Last edited:

Leader2light

Jul 23, 2010
I think the gyro seems somewhat better. Screen rotates faster than before and consistently. Still could be improved though. I hope the swipe down menu glitch is fixed as well. It would vanish for me sometimes.

OVERALL a great update and I hope to see more support in the future. Good work dell!!!!

social-design-concepts

Aug 30, 2012
Cincinnati
From xBIGREDDx

• Lollipop 5.1.0

MAKE SURE TO HAVE ENOUGH FREE SPACE or update fails.

Code:

Does enabling the OEM unlocking change the device state from locked to unlocked in droidboot?

Reactions: Chyrio

social-design-concepts

Aug 30, 2012
Cincinnati
I'm thinking that both the 7840 and 7040 will have to use the bootloader unlock and a built recovery.

Just like the 3830 they should only need the unlocked firmware files the rest of the dev rom wouldn't be needed. Someone would just need to be brave and test and modify the instructions to only cover the bootloader unlock.

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
I'm thinking that both the 7840 and 7040 will have to use the bootloader unlock and a built recovery.

Just like the 3830 they should only need the unlocked firmware files the rest of the dev rom wouldn't be needed. Someone would just need to be brave and test and modify the instructions to only cover the bootloader unlock.

I am curios to see if the droidboot itself is locked several droidboots, I have tried are locked, eg they can't flash anything.

@xBIGREDDx has uploaded the update.

Yep their droidboot is locked.

Code:
vampirefo@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:~/Desktop/untitled2$ '/home/vampirefo/Desktop/untitled2/trigger' 4
Using Trigger 4
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending '/tmp/recovery.zip' (7154 KB)...
OKAY [  0.284s]
writing '/tmp/recovery.zip'...
FAILED (remote: Bootloader must not be locked)
finished. total time: 0.318s
sending '/tmp/recovery.launcher' (704 KB)...
OKAY [  0.061s]
writing '/tmp/recovery.launcher'...
finished. total time: 0.095s
FAILED (remote: command not allowed in this device state)
finished. total time: 0.035s
sending '/system/bin/logcat' (349 KB)...
OKAY [  0.055s]
writing '/system/bin/logcat'...
finished. total time: 0.096s
FAILED (remote: command not allowed in this device state)
finished. total time: 0.035s
vampirefo@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:~/Desktop/untitled2$

Last edited:

wonglynn2004

Aug 16, 2011
Thank god I disabled the system update app. Otherwise, I had been forced to update 5.1.0 and lost root.

It seems rooting the latest 5.1.0 is a little tricky? or using oem unlock in developer menu will work with previous method?

xBIGREDDx

Apr 29, 2011
Look at this users output :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=61983870

I read it wrong man i really need to get glasses

Did the ota include any full kernel images that could be repacked for custom recovery?

Thanks, based on those shots I apparently had a messed up droidboot. I reflashed it using the dev tools, now I have "Device State - locked" and if I run 'fastboot oem unlock' it asks me if I want to unlock, but it's Google/Nexus style so I will have to data wipe before it lets me unlock. Looks like we won't have to wait for unlocked "developer" firmware anymore. Once I back up some stuff I'll run the unlock and then try the tethered recovery. I think at this point if we could get a flashable recovery that would work fine too.

The OTA includes a full boot.img, if that's what you're asking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooted. Just had to install the old droidboot, which also requires installing the old developer firmware if you haven't done the OEM Unlock. I've created a Flash zip to load into Phone Flash Tool Lite which has 3 parts. Flash file 1 flashes the old developer firmware and droidboot. After this completes, run the T4 tethered recovery from @social-design-concepts package and root like normal. At this point get yourself booted into Android and make sure you're rooted etc. Then (optional but highly recommended), you can run Flash files 2 and 3 (in order!) to put back the new droidboot and new firmware. This will make sure you don't have any compatibility issues with video codecs or hardware interfaces or future OTAs or anything. Then, if you want, do the standard Nexus-style OEM Unlock, which will wipe data but leave you with the option of flashing a custom recovery once somebody develops one.

(Standard disclaimer that I take no responsibility for your use of these files, use at your own risk, etc.)

Updated successful but haven't noticed any difference thus far.
    Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with root access since there is no custom ROMs available?
    AdAway, mostly.
    Do you follow this step when you have "fasboot cmd waiting" ?

I tried to install the latest (unofficial) version v67 of xposed, but it's not working. Instead I ended up in a boot loop which will only show the intel logo. I have already posted it in the related thread.

Does anybody have a 5.0 rom I can use to reset my tablet?

I assume you can just go back to the 5.0 system img that xBIGREDDx posted here and using that to follow my steps here.

It relies on you having access to a recovery, from what I'm reading you'll probably have to flash the older droidboot if you want to use the tethered one.
    Look at this users output :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=61983870

I read it wrong man i really need to get glasses

Did the ota include any full kernel images that could be repacked for custom recovery?

Thanks, based on those shots I apparently had a messed up droidboot. I reflashed it using the dev tools, now I have "Device State - locked" and if I run 'fastboot oem unlock' it asks me if I want to unlock, but it's Google/Nexus style so I will have to data wipe before it lets me unlock. Looks like we won't have to wait for unlocked "developer" firmware anymore. Once I back up some stuff I'll run the unlock and then try the tethered recovery. I think at this point if we could get a flashable recovery that would work fine too.

The OTA includes a full boot.img, if that's what you're asking.