My next phone is very likely to be an S7 Edge

Search This thread

running water

Mar 18, 2017
Good evening you good people of XDA land! :highfive:

I am looking for a new phone to replace my now very broken and almost dead iPhone 6 plus for a S7 Edge. When I get the new handset I will need a new case for it, but here is my dilemma! what case to go for?

I have read a lot of reviews that say the battery live isn't as good as other handsets win this size, so I'm not sure as weather to try a batter case. I've never used one and I'm a bit concerned that it will add too much bulk to the handset or worst case damage it in some way. for my old Iphone I had a Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Cover Case and really like it but felt that the metal in places was very thin, and eventually it did break. I was thinking of getting the same for the S7 and getting an external battery charger thing.

I would be grateful for any advise and opinions form you chaps and chapets!

Ta muchly

Running

Mengx

Oct 16, 2016
I'm now using led cover, and work really well, but I don't recommend it for you... because it will open and let your phone face down when fall..... And an battery case can work well and more useful... because my S7E won't last whole day gaming...... ,start at 10 AM and battery dead at 9 PM(which is very good, but not enough for me D:) so get battery case if you need do fit or game..... if not get other case...... you can last one day without charge if you don't game....
Used since October and no once fall.(sorry if my English not so good)

Reactions: running water

running water

Mar 18, 2017
I'm now using led cover, and work really well, but I don't recommend it for you... because it will open and let your phone face down when fall..... And an battery case can work well and more useful... because my S7E won't last whole day gaming...... ,start at 10 AM and battery dead at 9 PM(which is very good, but not enough for me D:) so get battery case if you need do fit or game..... if not get other case...... you can last one day without charge if you don't game....

Thanks,

I do a bit of gaming, but not massive amounts and not really anything to intense. FM16 was as far a I went in my iPhone.

Running

RileyIssKing

Jul 26, 2016
I have the UAG, Spigen Neo Hybrid, Poetic Affinity, and Tech21 Evo frame and so far the Tech21 is my favorite. I do really like the other case and the UAG is my second favorite but it is just a little too busy on back for my taste. All the cases I named are very good though. Hope this helps

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Why get an S7 edge when s8 is just around the corner?

1) $100 discount
2) It still has a headphone jack
3) It still has the fingerprint scanner on the front, where it belongs.
4) If required, there is a working root solution today. There are no guarantees an engineering root (or any root) will ever work on the S8.

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
1. I'd pay $100 to have such a big difference. It's not like an iPhone that's virtually the same every year.
2.S8 has a headphone jack. Again, it's not an iPhone
3.Finger scanner on back isn't bad. Think about where you place your fingers on back when holding. It's not unergonomic. Plus, bigger screen so...
4. What is root really worth anymore? It's NOTHING like it used to be unless you want broken apps and $hit battery life

smeddy

Apr 1, 2009
London, UK
1. I'd pay $100 to have such a big difference. It's not like an iPhone that's virtually the same every year.
3.Finger scanner on back isn't bad. Think about where you place your fingers on back when holding. It's not unergonomic. Plus, bigger screen so...
4. What is root really worth anymore? It's NOTHING like it used to be unless you want broken apps and $hit battery life

Thanks Joe, I've been bouncing back on forth on whether to root - mainly out of nostalgia for the fun of ROM swapping and eaking out more life from the phone.

But you've helped convince me there's very little I miss about rooting, nothing that isn't outweighed by stability.

Reactions: jpcdeux

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
Thanks Joe, I've been bouncing back on forth on whether to root - mainly out of nostalgia for the fun of ROM swapping and eaking out more life from the phone.

But you've helped convince me there's very little I miss about rooting, nothing that isn't outweighed by stability.

I used to root/jailbreak EVERYTHING. I wouldn't buy a phone I couldn't root. I even still have a Note tablet running a CM Nougat. I wouldn't get a phone I couldn't root, I've built several stable af and reputable ROMs. Now days, especially with Package Disabler I haven't rooted in a long time. Xposed, everything is so problematic. Root cloaks don't hide root from most apps, and MANY apps are broken or simply state they won't work with root. Not to mention you run a kernel meant to be flashed, the phones problem fixed, then flashed stock. It's NOT for daily use. Instability, excessive battery drain, there's nothing enticing about root anymore.

running water

Mar 18, 2017
Why get an S7 edge when s8 is just around the corner?

It's a cost cutting exercise. I need a new phone and I want one that is as up to date as possible. I've got a iPhone 6 Plus but to upgrade to the 7 plus will set me back around £100 upfront and then £30-40 more a month than the s7.

I'm going to guess that the s8 will cost the same!

Barkleyfan

Mar 1, 2009

I am looking for a new phone to replace my now very broken and almost dead iPhone 6 plus for a S7 Edge. When I get the new handset I will need a new case for it, but here is my dilemma! what case to go for?

I have read a lot of reviews that say the battery live isn't as good as other handsets win this size, so I'm not sure as weather to try a batter case. I've never used one and I'm a bit concerned that it will add too much bulk to the handset or worst case damage it in some way. for my old Iphone I had a Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Cover Case and really like it but felt that the metal in places was very thin, and eventually it did break. I was thinking of getting the same for the S7 and getting an external battery charger thing.

Ta muchly

Running

IMO, your best bet is to invest in wireless charging and not worry so much about battery. I have a dock for work and one for home. When I'm not using it, it's on the dock charging. Really changes how you use it over time. Case is really a personal choice. I'm happy as can be with Spigen Rugged Armor. Doesn't affect wireless rapid charge at all.

On another note, play with one at the store. The edge can be kind of frustrating. Case reduces ghost touches, but it's still there. There are also other little annoying things like the placement of the attachment button in messages. I use that several times a day, and it is annoyingly right on that edge. If you watch a lot of video tho, it really looks great on this screen.

Reactions: running water

kevinjessy

Jul 6, 2011
****ty battery life with root? And then you say that you have built stable af roms? Dude come on. Im using echoe rom with a sound mod en safetynet passed and root amd everything else. And ill bet your ass you dont have an excperience on your phone like i have on mine. My battery life is freaking awesome. Havemt charged my s7e since yesterday and im still on 35 %

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
****ty battery life with root? And then you say that you have built stable af roms? Dude come on. Im using echoe rom with a sound mod en safetynet passed and root amd everything else. And ill bet your ass you dont have an excperience on your phone like i have on mine. My battery life is freaking awesome. Havemt charged my s7e since yesterday and im still on 35 %

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Everyone's use is different. No 2 people will have the same results so...

running water

Mar 18, 2017
IMO, your best bet is to invest in wireless charging and not worry so much about battery. I have a dock for work and one for home. When I'm not using it, it's on the dock charging. Really changes how you use it over time. Case is really a personal choice. I'm happy as can be with Spigen Rugged Armor. Doesn't affect wireless rapid charge at all.

On another note, play with one at the store. The edge can be kind of frustrating. Case reduces ghost touches, but it's still there. There are also other little annoying things like the placement of the attachment button in messages. I use that several times a day, and it is annoyingly right on that edge. If you watch a lot of video tho, it really looks great on this screen.

I'm not sure wireless will work for me at work as I don't have anywhere other than my pocket to leave the phone!

That's one reason why I was lookin at battery cases. I'm having trouble picking a case as I can really tell from pics online what they are like. And I'm not sure if any local shops have a decent range of cases to browse!

Barkleyfan

Mar 1, 2009
I'm not sure wireless will work for me at work as I don't have anywhere other than my pocket to leave the phone!

That's one reason why I was lookin at battery cases. I'm having trouble picking a case as I can really tell from pics online what they are like. And I'm not sure if any local shops have a decent range of cases to browse!

Right on. I'd grab the phone first, see how it meets your needs. Accessories don't resell well, if at all. Power banks are cheap enough, altho I'll skip. I'd rather have an ugly case than 2 bricks tethered together. Good luck with your purchases.

ETA:

If you use power save mode on these, you can literally get days of use from a charge. With everything set to performance, I still get through a full day on it.

Last edited:

chaimss

Feb 14, 2010

If you're leaving your phone in your pocket, then (depending on how tight your pockets are) you really have a choice between a case or a power bank. Personally I'd choose a bank because you can charge anything with it and they're insanely cheaper (US $15 vs. US$85 for a charging case). If you do get a case, I'd recommend spending a little extra (especially if you're getting the S7 on sale) and getting one from a solid company with a good manufacturer's warranty so that, if it breaks, you can get it fixed.

Another reason to get the S7E is that is still uses MicroUSB and not USB-C, so it'll be easier getting accessories for it.

running water

Mar 18, 2017

I'm really considering a power bank. I have a Microsoft surface 3 that I can't plug in anywhere at college so could do with having something for that. Any suggestions on what power bank to look at?

Cheers

godpowerrr

Jun 9, 2016
If you're getting an S7 Edge, which i don't recommend, please don't get it through sprint. This phone is so packed with bs and everything else wrong with it, go to verizon if you still want this phone.

kangtastic

Jan 15, 2013
If you're getting an S7 Edge, which i don't recommend, please don't get it through sprint. This phone is so packed with bs and everything else wrong with it, go to verizon if you still want this phone.

eh dont deal with any carrier - tmo seems to be the least intrusive
if you really want it - get the 935F (exanos, international version). you'll get the latest updates from samsung and then also have the capability to load ROMs, etc if you want to. battery lasts longer too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ta muchly

Running