[Q] Having a problem I never encountered before

Search This thread

bobolinko

Nov 5, 2010
Everett WA
I have used Clockworkmod to backup and restore my Samsung GS4 Many, Many times. I have never had any problems restoring any previous backup before. Today after my phone updated an app from the play store, it started acting funny, so I made a backup, (like I have many times before) and after it was completed (no error messages) I proceeded to recover a previous backup that I restored a few times before, and it ended in a "Error while restoring /system!

I tried rebooting the phone and it just hung in the boot animation so I booted back into the recovery mode and again tried the same restore image, but same error. I then tried one that was done before the one I was having problems with, and got the same error. I have a hard time believing that all these backups have suddenly become bad! They ALL PASS THE MD5 CHECKSUM so they must be good!

UPDATE:
I failed to mention, that the phone was UNLOCKED when I made the backup and tried to restore it...
Not sure if that has any bearing on the result. I can restore an older version that was not unlocked when I made the backup, but it's waaaaay back and I lose so much of my data if I have to use that.

I'm not so sure what to do now. My phone is not too useful if it cannot be restored.....

Any help on what I can do to recover would be much appreciated.

Mahalo! (Thanks!)

Running stock 4.2.2 - Rooted Running another restore again. I wiped all the stuff I dare do and re-running the recovery (it takes a while to do)
Will post results after this one succeeds or bombs. :<(

Last edited:

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
I had this problem once with my s3.. I couldn't figure out now to fix it but what I ended up doing was reflashing my ROM from a clean state and then just restored the data from the backups in recovery.. All your apps and data will be restored except your system apps or mods

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk