Google play services crashing

Search This thread

fireme

Feb 26, 2015
I have been happily running google services on my phone (fireos 3.6.8). However, Google released an update to Play Services (version 7.3) yesterday (4/15/2015), which crashes. Has anyone else started getting popups saying "Google Play Services has stopped" constantly? Does anyone have a workaround or does anyone know of a way to keep Play Services from updating automatically? I am able to reinstall 7.0.99, which works, but the app immediately downloads the update and installs itself automatically.

sean6574

Jan 13, 2011
I am having the same problem. Installed the previous version but was automatically updated.

hoanphu

Apr 18, 2015
I'm also having the same problem and would like to find a workaround or a temp stop too keep these messages from popping up. It makes the phone nearly unusable.

apo383

Jan 16, 2015
works okay on 4.6.1

I had the same problem, suddenly play services was crashing continually. Just updated to FireOS 4.6.1, and google play services is no longer causing trouble. On the other hand, Google Play Store just hangs. I can downgrade to an older version that works, but it keeps automatically updating. So pick your poison: On 3.6.8 the services will crash, and on 4.6.1 the store will crash. I think the services crash was worse.

kieranc88

Oct 1, 2012
manchester
I had the same problem, suddenly play services was crashing continually. Just updated to FireOS 4.6.1, and google play services is no longer causing trouble. On the other hand, Google Play Store just hangs. I can downgrade to an older version that works, but it keeps automatically updating. So pick your poison: On 3.6.8 the services will crash, and on 4.6.1 the store will crash. I think the services crash was worse.

Try deleting all Google services,play store,account manager and framework and reinstall

rich8511

Jan 29, 2015
Also noticed google play store wont load after update

Also Clash of Clans refused to open. Uninstalled everything google, and now clash opens but wont sync to my google+ account because I cant get google services to actually open, so I've lost all my progress.

All in all, happy its not giving me the stopped working message but irritated google services is acting so crazy. Also cant get gmail to open because of all this.

ractar28

Dec 18, 2014
Also noticed google play store wont load after update

Also Clash of Clans refused to open. Uninstalled everything google, and now clash opens but wont sync to my google+ account because I cant get google services to actually open, so I've lost all my progress.

All in all, happy its not giving me the stopped working message but irritated google services is acting so crazy. Also cant get gmail to open because of all this.

If you uninstall and go back to the older version of google play services, none of the google apps will run. They REQUIRE the danged update.

Xyth

Sep 20, 2012
Lots of folks using many different phones are having issues with the latest version of Google Services. Might not just be the Fire phone having issues then. My services is still 7.0.99 even after updating the OS. Play store still reports that's the latest version for me so maybe they froze the update. I think I may set that file to read only until this is sorted out.

Reactions: theprov

hoanphu

Apr 18, 2015
after using my phone with the updated OS for a few days now, I've also experienced some more issues. some apps don't open or stall on opening such as Redfin and some open, but don't seem to work such as Pandora (opens, but music won't load).

anyone else?

Xyth

Sep 20, 2012
Downloaded and installed this,
Google Play Store 5.4.12
still not working acts like it can't see phone
installed tab and if you try to install just spins.
worked yesterday made the mistake or resetting and trying again.

Same thing here. I uninstalled play store and installed older version 4.1.10. I can then open up the store and update applications, but the next time I open Google auto updates (despite settings not to) it to the latest version that just spins on a white screen. At least this is a work around to keep other apps updated while we wait for a fix.

fireme

Feb 26, 2015
It looks like Google Play Services 7.3.29 was just released this morning. I have fireos 4.6.1 installed, my play services auto updated, and Play Store and Gmail now appear to work without hanging! Google hangouts still does not let me send messages.

fireme

Feb 26, 2015
Well, I spoke too soon. Play Store and Gmail open, but they don't refresh properly. That's frustrating.

mjp123

Apr 21, 2015
I am not very technical, I did manage to sideload the play store with someone from this forum's easy to follow directions a few months back. That being said today I am having the issue with google services crashing non stop, can't load gmail and this phone is virtually useless because I have to keep replying 'ok' to the crash...

I'm on 3.6.8 and it says I'm up to date, no new updates to download ... how can I get the newer version of 4.6.1 so I can solve this crashing issue? I'd appreciate it if someone has easy to follow directions for the somewhat technically challenged... (me!)
I'm running it with T-Mobile's network and I'm in the USA.

I don't know what version google play services I use (or how to check for that matter).

Thanks!!

I am not very technical, I did manage to sideload the play store with someone from this forum's easy to follow directions a few months back. That being said today I am having the issue with google services crashing non stop, can't load gmail and this phone is virtually useless because I have to keep replying 'ok' to the crash...

I'm on 3.6.8 and it says I'm up to date, no new updates to download ... how can I get the newer version of 4.6.1 so I can solve this crashing issue? I'd appreciate it if someone has easy to follow directions for the somewhat technically challenged... (me!)
I'm running it with T-Mobile's network and I'm in the USA.

I don't know what version google play services I use (or how to check for that matter).

Thanks!!

Updating wont help the google play store not working at lest for long.

srismart

Jul 8, 2009
same issue. don't see fire os update

Google play services crashing even after multiple uninstalls and updates. I don't see the fire OS update available for me yet, still showing 3.6.8 as the latest. Any ideas to try?

mjp123

Apr 21, 2015
Updating wont help the google play store not working at lest for long.

thanks! Are you saying that even if I updated to the latest Fire OS I'd still get these 'Google play services has stopped' errors constantly? Also do you know if Google play store is having issues with other phones and OS's and if they are working on a fix? (it's so annoying.. can't get to gmail and the error is constant)... thanks everyone!

ss4adam

Jan 13, 2013
not just us

thanks! Are you saying that even if I updated to the latest Fire OS I'd still get these 'Google play services has stopped' errors constantly? Also do you know if Google play store is having issues with other phones and OS's and if they are working on a fix? (it's so annoying.. can't get to gmail and the error is constant)... thanks everyone!

go look at google play services on the google play store. Everyone is having problems and giving it 1 star (including me). Multiple phones are having the issue:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en

Reactions: gale2000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated Google Play Store App

I had again Reset my Fire Phone.
    After working few hours, trying different play store versions, I got play store working again.
    First, remove all components of Google Play. Then copy these contents to your phone:
    1) Google Play Store Components:-
    dropbox.com/sh/jmnpbpos00sa53s/AACH8ga7MigSwo7cNA_-PKSDa
    2) Updated Google Play Store v5.2.13:-
    apkmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/uploaded/54dd7979177e8/com.android.vending-5.2.13-80321300-minAPI9.apk

Now, first install all google play store components downloaded in step-1.
    Then open "Google Play Store", DO NOT sign-in & exit the app.
    Now install the updated Play Store app downloaded in step-2.
    Open & login to your account, it wasn't showing "My Apps -> Installed" screen but it'll take a while to connect.
    In a few minutes, it'll be good to go... :D
    Lots of folks using many different phones are having issues with the latest version of Google Services. Might not just be the Fire phone having issues then. My services is still 7.0.99 even after updating the OS. Play store still reports that's the latest version for me so maybe they froze the update. I think I may set that file to read only until this is sorted out.
    not just us

go look at google play services on the google play store. Everyone is having problems and giving it 1 star (including me). Multiple phones are having the issue:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en
    Is anyone else getting this message. It makes me nervous that Google may be cracking down on unsupported devices.

I got that when I installed the play services without installing the play store and panicked a little, too. But, I installed the play store apk and it went away. I think it's just a message that they put there in case some other app forces play services to install, but the device didn't have the play store installed (i.e. wasn't meant to run google stuff). I don't think it's calling back to Google. Installing the play store apk fixed it, but I just made sure not to open the play store so it wouldn't continually update the play services to 7.3.

Actually, what I ended up having to do to get all of my Google apps working is install a Google app, like Gmail or Hangouts, manually from apkmirror and then the first time it would run it would update from play services 7.0 to 7.3 for some reason. Then I would uninstall 7.3 and re-install 7.0 manually. Then the app would work. I did that for each app in turn and now they all work. Not sure if I'll have to keep uninstalling and re-installing going forward, but it's working for the moment.
    D
    Deleted member 6500647
    I did the same and clear data of play store additionally. It worked. Just make sure you don't install any google company issued apps from the google play store until they sort this out.

Sigh... I have to use all kinds of google apps.... I'll just wait for it to be solved officially.