[INFO][HOWTO][ROOT] Motochopper by Dan Rosenberg

Search This thread

k0nane

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
Note: The UVUAMDL update includes Samsung's silly root-restricting kernel. You'll need to downgrade it or use a custom one to avoid that.

All you need to know, folks. To get the dev options menu, and enable USB Debugging, tap the build number in About Phone until it tells you it's been enabled. You'll need the drivers. Unlike on AT&T devices, we do have a return to stock option, though it is not "virgin" as a Samsung-sourced TAR would be.

A recent root exploit I published for Motorola devices, Motochopper, should do the trick for rooting the Qualcomm-based variants of the Samsung Galaxy S4, including the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile branded models.

Download the exploit here:
http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
  2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
  3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
  4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
  5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
  6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

Warning:
At this point, since there are no custom recoveries or stock images available, it may not be possible to repair your device should you accidentally break it. Please be aware of this before performing any modifications to your phone.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Paypal:
http://goo.gl/zBGb0

Motochopper is the work of Dan Rosenberg, @djrbliss. If you wish to donate, use the "Paypal" link above, as that leads to him. Do not donate to me for this package.

Do not PM Dan (or me for that matter) for any reason whatsoever. Any Q&A about Motochopper and acheiving root should be posted here or in the Q&A section.

Last edited:

k0nane

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D

AAvvp.png

Original artwork by Pendulum via Gasolin3.

...for future use.

Follow me on Twitter @k0nane and @publik0!
Join the OUDHS and I on IRC at irc.freenode.net #oudhitsquad, or via the webchat link in my signature.

spankerer

Mar 27, 2010
My run.bat stops at * daemon started successfully *.

usb debugging is enabled and galaxy s 4 drivers are installed.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Nevermind. I've downloaded the Galaxy S 4G drivers. However I can't find the S4 drivers for my T-Mobile version on samsung's website. Does anyone have direct link?

Last edited:

spankerer

Mar 27, 2010
Use the drivers linked in the OP.

Odd, it's still not working. It's stuck on the * daemon started successfully *

Edit: I figured it out. I actually have to use the usb cable that came with the phone.. I would've thought any micro USB cable would've worked...

Last edited:

SBERG117

Mar 28, 2010
Hi..I just needed some clarification on something before i try to root..
I bought my phone doing the payment method from tmo and have read that my phone isnt unlocked till i pay it off and get a unlock code...Is this correct or can i use this tool with no issue? Thnx....Just trying to avoid a un-needed mistake...:laugh:

SBERG117

Mar 28, 2010
Root and SIM unlock are two very different things. This gives you root.

Ty for the quick response ... As I stated I just wanted to make sure i was ok to go...Again Thnx for clearing that up...

Edit - That was the simplest way i ever rooted a phone...Thnx to everyone involved in getting this done so fast.....Looking forward to all the goodies to come....:good::good::good::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

adventure_of_link

Aug 23, 2012
Edit: I figured it out. I actually have to use the usb cable that came with the phone.. I would've thought any micro USB cable would've worked...

Actually, when I rooted mine I used the cable from my Nexus 7 and it worked just fine.

Edit - That was the simplest way i ever rooted a phone...Thnx to everyone involved in getting this done so fast.....Looking forward to all the goodies to come....:good::good::good::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Compared to the N7 root/unlock this was like cakewalk :D and yes. thanks for the AWESOME work!

adventure_of_link

Aug 23, 2012
Be sure to go to the original post and hit the thanks (or donate) button for the author of this exploit.

Will do :good: and a quick question: the Superuser app... is this the ChainsDD one or SuperSU? Personally I like the latter better, but otoh I'm not doing much complaining, just glad we have a root method.

skygear

Apr 7, 2006
Will do :good: and a quick question: the Superuser app... is this the ChainsDD one or SuperSU? Personally I like the latter better, but otoh I'm not doing much complaining, just glad we have a root method.

So which one do you like better? Isnt there a CM version now too?

Someone needs to do a comparisson on all the SUPER USER versions !

aLdaRiS

Jun 2, 2007
Well, I'm about to try this method! I just received my Sammy last night :} Wish me luck!

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Wow, after having about 6 or 7 android devices I can only say, WOW... how easy that was... Thanks for the post OP !

Reactions: johnnylightning041

peccadillo

Oct 28, 2010
Odd, it's still not working. It's stuck on the * daemon started successfully *

hi,
Did you have to do anything else other than switching the cable? I am using the s4 cable but I am it is stuck at * daemon started successfully *. Any pointers?

I have installed the drivers in the OP and enabled USB debugging.

SBERG117

Mar 28, 2010
hi,
Did you have to do anything else other than switching the cable? I am using the s4 cable but I am it is stuck at * daemon started successfully *. Any pointers?

I have installed the drivers in the OP and enabled USB debugging.

Turn on your phone and click the dialog box that appears and tool should continue working....

Reactions: peccadillo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: The UVUAMDL update includes Samsung's silly root-restricting kernel. You'll need to downgrade it or use a custom one to avoid that.

All you need to know, folks. To get the dev options menu, and enable USB Debugging, tap the build number in About Phone until it tells you it's been enabled. You'll need the drivers. Unlike on AT&T devices, we do have a return to stock option, though it is not "virgin" as a Samsung-sourced TAR would be.

A recent root exploit I published for Motorola devices, Motochopper, should do the trick for rooting the Qualcomm-based variants of the Samsung Galaxy S4, including the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile branded models.

Download the exploit here:
    http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
    2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
    3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
    4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
    5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
    6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

Warning:
    At this point, since there are no custom recoveries or stock images available, it may not be possible to repair your device should you accidentally break it. Please be aware of this before performing any modifications to your phone.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0

Motochopper is the work of Dan Rosenberg, @djrbliss. If you wish to donate, use the "Paypal" link above, as that leads to him. Do not donate to me for this package.

Do not PM Dan (or me for that matter) for any reason whatsoever. Any Q&A about Motochopper and acheiving root should be posted here or in the Q&A section.
    I bought my phone doing the payment method from tmo and have read that my phone isnt unlocked till i pay it off and get a unlock code...
    Root and SIM unlock are two very different things. This gives you root.
    1. Will updating Samsung Kies on the desktop incorporate the up to date drivers for the phone.
    2. Will the Motochopper rooting method by Dan Rosenberg work on the s4 on T-Mobile Uk?
    3. Does the CWM method work or any other method, if so are there any links to this, thanks.
    1. No idea. Probably.
    2. Probably not. Completely different chipset.
    3. You're in the entirely wrong place. Don't flash ANYTHING FROM THIS SECTION on your non-US Galaxy S4. You will F it up.
    It worked perfectly! Thanks.
    Root 4,42 may update

hERE YOU GO DONT FORGET THANKS TO HIM.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2294005