[IDE][3.x] APK Studio - IDE for Reverse Engineering Android APKs

Search This thread

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
[IDE][5.x] APK Studio - IDE for Reverse Engineering Android APKs

APK Studio is a cross-platform IDE for reverse-engineering (decompiling/editing) & recompiling of android application binaries within a single user-interface. It features a friendly IDE like layout, with a code editor which support syntax highlighting for Android SMALI (*.smali) code files.

screenshot.png

Details & Download:
Github

Links:
Homepage
Download
Source
Issue Tracker

Last edited:

Westnile

Jul 1, 2012
I look forward to trying this out I am to the point when I use command line stuff I start to fall asleep lol.

Sent from my immorality and my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2 sponsored by the letter mmm donuts... DOH!

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
Please brief about the problem?

Great one http://xdaforums.com/images/smilies/good.gif
but it lags during compiling
any help ??

Can you provide me with some sort of brief with what you meant with "it lags during compiling"?
Did it recompile or not?
What you were recompiling (if that ain't confidential)?

That would help me recreating the issue so that I can check with it & fix the issue when I get back at home!

Lastly, thanks for your feedback! :cyclops:

Last edited:

XxTeXx07xX

Account currently disabled
Nov 22, 2013
Usa
meettomy.site
THANK YOU

This is a great TOOL! I tried this out and it works great. I didnt experience any LAG what so ever... Love the features! Been looking for a apktool like this forever. Cant stand typing all the freaking cmds... NICE JOB!!!! and for the negative feed back about the lag..... I think its your lame computer thats lagging not the app:good:

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
Thanks man!

This is a great TOOL! I tried this out and it works great. I didnt experience any LAG what so ever... Love the features! Been looking for a apktool like this forever. Cant stand typing all the freaking cmds... NICE JOB!!!! and for the negative feed back about the lag..... I think its your lame computer thats lagging not the app:good:

Actually you know what, I's waiting for such response! :D

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
Easy man!

can someone give a little how to use guide? I'm a noobie

Hey harveyr4! It's quit easy & self-explanatory! You go to File > Open APK > browse to your APK file & select it..., wait & watch the status bar! You will then be presented with the real thing inside :D You can double click any smali file from package (use package explorer :D on the left), edit it then you can recompile it from the Build menu! :)

lahmizzar

Dec 25, 2013
Error during decompile process

Is it possible to log the decompile process, so that we know where possible errors occur?

I've tried some apk's from the CM10.1 ROM (Settings, SystemUI) and some others like Apollo, Effem and it hang on "Unexpected error occured when extracting"

EDIT: It seem that there is a problem with backing up the original apk, because there is no dist folder in Settings-apkstudio folder

Attachments

• apkstudio-err001.JPG
    apkstudio-err001.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 4,395
Last edited:

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
Hmm hmm! I will add it...

Is it possible to log the decompile process, so that we know where possible errors occur?

I've tried some apk's from the CM10.1 ROM (Settings, SystemUI) and some others like Apollo, Effem and it hang on "Unexpected error occured when extracting"

EDIT: It seem that there is a problem with backing up the original apk, because there is no dist folder in Settings-apkstudio folder

Hmm, I see! maybe some wrong permissions or something is there. I'll try to reproduce it on an XP machine & will check on it. Also, thanks for the suggest. I'll implement a debug console in upcoming Java/SWT version for logging batch output.

Reactions: HighlanderZA

Ricky Divjakovski

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Feb 4, 2013
Sydney
APK Studio is the first IDE (don't know If I should call it like that :p) that allows out of the box decompiling, editing & then recompiling of android binaries easily (editing of .smali files with Syntax Highlighting). No need to configure Notepad++ for bit of changes.
You can use it for editing ,decompiling, recompiling, rebuilding APKs or just have a look at How Did They Do It? :D. I tried to make it as promising as it could be in 4 days of design & development.
So that every piece of code is visible and a well developed editor which allows editing of codes. It comes with more than bunch of features in it.

If you are tired of using command line tools (still appreciate them APKOneClick, APKTOOL & DCompiler as they form the foundation of this one too), this is the tool for you.

11882023955_2bc07bfc6c_b.jpg

This software will ease the way of reverse engineering APKs from now.

:D Download it & post your suggestions.

great work mate, looking forward to trying it! does it also allow you to decompile .jar files?
also feel free to check out my qiuckmodtool for features!

any help ??

whats the specs of your pc?
apktool needs to parse all the lines in the smali code, then needs to convert it, then convert the XML files, then build resources.arsc then pack..
on a pc like mine(1.8GHZ 512MB ram) takes atleast a 2 minutes to compile anything, to compile setings.apk takes 12 minutes.

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
Working on it, under development.

great work mate, looking forward to trying it! does it also allow you to decompile .jar files?
also feel free to check out my qiuckmodtool for features!

whats the specs of your pc?
apktool needs to parse all the lines in the smali code, then needs to convert it, then convert the XML files, then build resources.arsc then pack..
on a pc like mine(1.8GHZ 512MB ram) takes atleast a 2 minutes to compile anything, to compile setings.apk takes 12 minutes.

I am working on an SWT/JFace cross-platform version (especially crafted because no GUI tool for the purpose on linux). I already added the functionality of decompiling from APK/JAR. You can even open individual .smali files in it's syntax highlighted editor. It will be announced soon right here.

As for the specs, I develop on AMD 64-Bit machine 3.6 GHz, 8GB Corsair XMS3, WD Green 1TB 6GBPs SATA-3. Everything just goes fine with it. :) But I don't think waiting time is an issue we should bother about. I needed a GUI & made one. Didn't care about that. When I use APK_OneClick, it takes almost same. Mine just takes some extra time to decompile the JAR into individual Java source files while jDecompile (APK_OneClick uses) reads from JAR directly. So it might be faster. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Chad The Pathfinder

Jarmezrocks

Mar 25, 2011
Gold Coast
tinyurl.com
Hey man,

Just decided to give your app a go. A couple of things that I would like to bring up (and these may or may not be unique to me?
some back ground info on my rig. Windows 7 64Bit release, I am running 8GB of HyperX RAM, Core Duo Quad OC 3.8Ghz installed on Intel 3 gen 180GB SSD and running as fast as lightning! Java version is 1.8.0 64Bit. Windows env is set correctly also. Latest SDK. I am running apktool version apktool_2.0.0b9.jar

1). Man talk about lag!!! It took more than 10min (close to 15 actually) to decompile a simple app like PasswordSafe? Any clues or indications as to why?

2).Does not inform the user if it is still decompiling or not? i.e no progress bar? Yes it lists the files in the GUI in the bottom bar, but when an app is pause

3) Now that it's decompiled....now what? This application does seem to do anything more after it has completed decompiling? It cannot detect any valid apk in any directory I pointed it at, source code or no source cute?

4.) What is the idea/ place behind it? I see both APKTool and dex2jar decompilers.....output is in java class files (suggesting only dex2jar was executed?)...no smali files?

5).If the results ARE only meant to produce the java class output, then has this been tested with the Android IDE development environment?
No manifest has been produced? To date I have yet to find any application that can decompile to java and recompile the application either as a standalone or inside of Android Studio /Eclipse IDE's? So if your claim is correct that you can indeed recompile from decompiled java resources then I EAGERLY WAIT FOR YOU TO RESPOND :D

Man I have tried EVERYTHING, and I mean everything with exception of JEB noteably because of its heft $1000 price tag and nothing has been able to do this successfully has been able to do this :-|

Last edited:

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
Hmm

Hey man,

Just decided to give your app a go. A couple of things that I would like to bring up (and these may or may not be unique to me?
some back ground info on my rig. Windows 7 64Bit release, I am running 8GB of HyperX RAM, Core Duo Quad OC 3.8Ghz installed on Intel 3 gen 180GB SSD and running as fast as lightning! Java version is 1.8.0 64Bit. Windows env is set correctly also. Latest SDK. I am running apktool version apktool_2.0.0b9.jar

1). Man talk about lag!!! It took more than 10min (close to 15 actually) to decompile a simple app like PasswordSafe? Any clues or indications as to why?

2).Does not inform the user if it is still decompiling or not? i.e no progress bar? Yes it lists the files in the GUI in the bottom bar, but when an app is pause

3) Now that it's decompiled....now what? This application does seem to do anything more after it has completed decompiling? It cannot detect any valid apk in any directory I pointed it at, source code or no source cute?

4.) What is the idea/ place behind it? I see both APKTool and dex2jar decompilers.....output is in java class files (suggesting only dex2jar was executed?)...no smali files?

5).If the results ARE only meant to produce the java class output, then has this been tested with the Android IDE development environment?
No manifest has been produced? To date I have yet to find any application that can decompile to java and recompile the application either as a standalone or inside of Android Studio /Eclipse IDE's? So if your claim is correct that you can indeed recompile from decompiled java resources then I EAGERLY WAIT FOR YOU TO RESPOND :D

Man I have tried EVERYTHING, and I mean everything with exception of JEB noteably because of its heft $1000 price tag and nothing has been able to do this successfully has been able to do this :-|

Greetings!

1) The long decompilation time is because of the decompilation of JAR produced by dex2jar to individual .java files. Unlike others, I didn't want to just fire up jDecompile with the JAR path to browse sources. I wanted individual files so that I (atleast) could open & compare smali & java files for same class in two tabs while editing smali code.

2) There is a progress bar at bottom with current file status being updated each time on the label (in status bar) to keep the user informed.

3) After SUCCESSFUL decompilation, loads up the tree on left with apk-directory structure & opens up found AndroidManifest.xml. Then you can browse smali code from the tree edit & recompile.

4) There MUST NOT be any class files at all. Procyon decompiler directly outputs .java files from the .jar. It should not spit out the OP code.

5) The java source output IS NOT MEANT from recompiling from it. It is just to COMPARE & CHECK what we are editing in SMALI code.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chad The Pathfinder

rbnkho

Nov 17, 2013
i tried to run your apkstudio to decompile apk, but it always stuck at this stage, do you know why?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,434
Last edited:

vaibhavpandeyvpz

Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2013
New Delhi
www.vaibhavpandey.com
I Am Working On It

i tried to run your apkstudio to decompile apk, but it always stuck at this stage, do you know why?

I've been getting a lot of messages saying people stuck at decompilation. I've decided to discontinue Procyon's decompile as at most times, it fails to decompile obfuscated code.

If editing the application & recompiling is your intention, then you can restart APK studio, and this time choose Open Directory from File menu. Navigate the browser to the extracted folder location & it will show up the files, and yes..., you can recompile back after edits from there.

The decompiler is producing errors when converting from OP to Java code from JAR produced by dex2jar. :(

Sorry for it is taking long, but this time in new version..., I'm developing it precisely taking care of each 'n every bug reported yet.

Jarmezrocks

Mar 25, 2011
Gold Coast
tinyurl.com
Thanks mate. I am looking forward to it :) I like the concept of this.

I didn't see any real clear step by step instructions on how to use it correctly but for now I will just hold off till you have something a bit more concrete.

Also I don't mean to burst your bubble hear where I say this but you do realise that Dex2JAR is extremely limited in its functionality! You won't get even half the classes that are needed. I have proven this many times.

I am looking to port across Android DARE. If you haven't checked it out already maybe you should take a look at it? :cool: it Does heaps more classes, almost to the point where I can set up a project in Eclipse, but not quite.

There are two other applications that do similar things to yours on XDA. One by broodplank called APKtoJava and another is a very popular studio called VirtuousTen Studio. APKtoJava is really focussed on Decompiling and setting up an apk project ready for eclipse whilst also allowing the user to edit smali code. VirtuousTen is aimed at a similar approach to yours and looking at the code side by side next Java classes and smali.
All use Dex2JAR so all are very very limited in their methodology. The best I have found so far is to decompile in Linux using Android DARE and then bring the results back into Windows and decompile again in VirtuousTen, then delete the Java results only keeping the directory structure and then dumping the Android DARE Java files in the directory. Side by side it is perfect.
Only problem is I absolutely hate the Windows 8 interface force fed to us. I don't have Windows 8 and the version I do have in a VM I have made it look like 7 cause I hate the look so much lol!
So if you can withstand that about VirtuousTen then it pretty much does what yours does.

Have a look and check them out ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [IDE][5.x] APK Studio - IDE for Reverse Engineering Android APKs

APK Studio is a cross-platform IDE for reverse-engineering (decompiling/editing) & recompiling of android application binaries within a single user-interface. It features a friendly IDE like layout, with a code editor which support syntax highlighting for Android SMALI (*.smali) code files.

screenshot.png

Details & Download:
    Github

Links:
    Homepage
    Download
    Source
    Issue Tracker
    Thanks man!

Actually you know what, I's waiting for such response! :D
    Thanks Praetoriani, but this doesn't seem to be the reason. I checked the Environment variables and I read this
    (sorry I'm not allowed to post images yet)

C:\Programs\JavaFX\javafx-sdk1.2\bin;C:\Programs\JavaFX\javafx-sdk1.2\emulator\bin;

I really don't understand what's happening! :confused:

JavaFX is your web based Java development platform. It does stuff like netbeans and so forth. You need to download the Java JDK. You need to also set JAVA_HOME variable to the root of the SDK folder and you need to have the Java/SDK/bin directory as the only Java reference loaded on your path.

Essentially Windows will load the first Environment reference first and ignore the rest there after, so even if you had JDK bin directory tacked on the end apktool would probably return a fault before Windows would get around to loading the right binaries. What I mean is, leave Java FX installed (you may require if for something else?) and just delete their references from the Windows path and make sure the JAVA JDK is the only referenced or you can if you like make it referenced first and put the JavaFX after it. Essentially Apktool will find the reference for the JDK and then stop looking there after.

Once you have done that then you have to set the Java classpath. Google is your friend for all of the things I have mentioned above.

Enjoy:good:

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Here is the documentation you will need to have a read of to learn about setting up your Java environment successfully.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/windows/jdk-installation-windows.html

Seeing that you are on dying operating system you will need the JavaSE SDK win32 binaries. available here as a direct download:
    http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7u51-b13/jdk-7u51-windows-i586.exe

However you need to have clicked and accepted the Oracle TOU's before that link becomes live so go to hear, check the little radio button accept and bobs ya aunty you got Java.....the proper one as well.

Just a word of warning and it is none of my business in anyway but I would suggest that you upgrade Windows 7 or 8 in the coming months. You have a little over a month before all support for Windows XP ceases from Microsoft. That may not come as a concern to you right now, but it will be when you realise that every patch and update that goes out for Windows 7 there after is basically a road map for hackers and virus makers to completely destroy your XP machine!! Combined that with Java and you have the biggest recipe for disaster just waiting to happen.
    Please brief about the problem?

any help ??

Can you provide me with some sort of brief with what you meant with "it lags during compiling"?
    Did it recompile or not?
    What you were recompiling (if that ain't confidential)?

That would help me recreating the issue so that I can check with it & fix the issue when I get back at home!

Lastly, thanks for your feedback! :cyclops:
    THANK YOU