Enough negativity, let's share the positives!!

Search This thread

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
I'm sad for those who are thinking of buying this tablet or those who just recently have and read all the negative things about this amazing tablet. Let's all share the things you love most about this awesome device.

I for one haven't had nearly as many issues as some have posted on xda or here. I think most are too picky or just don't know how to use it.

I love my tablet because it has one of the best screens available, it's snappy, I haven't experience lag with the right settings. I love the spen features, the size is perfect, the over all build is good to me.

With everything this device has to offer and how customizable it can be and even more so if you root or find the right apps the options are almost endless.

I look forward to reading what you all love most about your experience. Let's let's those on the edge about buying or keeping the Note 10.1 2014 edition know its a great buy worth the money!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stocklone

Aug 18, 2010
The S Pen is a god. I haven't used a piece of paper at work since August 2012. I am entirely digital with my notes and diagrams. This is something that just seemed impossible before the S Pen hit the tablet scene regardless of how much I wanted to get away from paper. That combination of a light portable 10" 16:10 Note tablet series with the S Pen is nearly unbeatable at the moment. It is the sweet spot for me.

How's that for positive?

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
My point being is with out knowledge of what your options are your going to be dissatisfied. Read up before complaining or ask us :)

ElectronKing

Dec 2, 2013
The S Pen is a god. I haven't used a piece of paper at work since August 2012. I am entirely digital with my notes and diagrams. This is something that just seemed impossible before the S Pen hit the tablet scene regardless of how much I wanted to get away from paper. That combination of a light portable 10" 16:10 Note tablet series with the S Pen is nearly unbeatable at the moment. It is the sweet spot for me.

How's that for positive?

Stocklone:

Care to shed any light on your workflow. I'm interested in what apps you use to take your notes, how you archive them, how you search for info at a later date, are they in a format where you can access them across platforms (PC, etc).

I've been wanting to go completely digital with my notes but still haven't been able to come up with a truly workable system.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Stocklone

Aug 18, 2010
Stocklone:

Care to shed any light on your workflow. I'm interested in what apps you use to take your notes, how you archive them, how you search for info at a later date, are they in a format where you can access them across platforms (PC, etc).

I've been wanting to go completely digital with my notes but still haven't been able to come up with a truly workable system.

I do everything through Lecture Notes currently. I used to do everything through Quill but I found Lecture Notes to be perfect for note taking since it allows for folders as well as notebooks. So I can jump very quickly to the notes I need for the current project I'm working on where everything is organized at the location I'm working at for a given project and the year and month if it was something very regular like weekly team meetings. That structure is good enough for me for retrieving whatever I'm looking for. I know Quill has tags if you want to filter individual pages in a given book but the GUI is incredibly slow once you have a lot of notebooks.

My folder hierarchy is typically Location\Building\Project\(Year\Month) for Lecture Notes. That allows me to split things up enough that I'm okay with combing through my notes from that point out. I do date each entry in my notes than highlight it in yellow so I can quickly find notes for a given day. I'm pretty sure LN offers some kind of tagging system if you wanted to make things searchable.

With Quill I backed up old notes to PDF and made a copy on my microSD and my notebook. I actually haven't archived anything yet with Lecture Notes but I know it can export to PDF so I will probably do that. Quill actually offers syncing notes between devices but I never used it. Quill also had automatic backing up to the microSD card.

I don't ever really access my notes on a PC. Due to computer restrictions where I work, my tablet pretty much has to remain an island unto its self while I am at work. If I wanted to make them accessible I would probably sync the PDF files with Dropbox I imagine.

I think Quill has the prettiest writing but Lecture Notes once you set it up is far more functional.

My system would probably fall apart if I wasn't working in an environment of multiple unrelated ever changing projects. If I only worked one project as my entire job, tagging pages would probably be much more important.

For future reference, a setup where you really don't have to think about anything for syncing between devices and backing up, OneNote with Office 2013 on a Surface Pro 2 is probably as simple as you are going to get. That's what my wife uses.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

My point being is with out knowledge of what your options are your going to be dissatisfied. Read up before complaining or ask us :)

I personally hate this tablet without root. Once I had root, this tablet became an absolute joy to use. I think rooting would be the best advice I could give to a new user that might be frustrated with their Note. Then nearly anything that pisses you off can be fixed in way or another.

Finding the right 3rd party apps is also crucial. I think that if you assume what Samsung provides is the end all of what works with the S Pen, you are really limiting yourself. Once you start branching out you see all the possibilities of the S Pen you can have a much better idea of how useful it is. Also, many times you have to turn on S Pen support for an app such as drawing and note taking apps. Until then it treats the pen like a finger. And sometimes some random 3rd party app may actually do something better than all the big companies with similar apps. Research seriously pays off with this tablet.

A not so super obvious benefit of the S Pen is gaming. I don't know how anybody plays R-Type with their finger when you have all those little enemies flying around the screen from every angle. The S Pen is a huge advantage there. Even casual games like Fruit Ninja, I can play way better with an S Pen because of the higher accuracy and less obstructed vision.

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
I do everything through Lecture Notes currently. I used to do everything through Quill but I found Lecture Notes to be perfect for note taking since it allows for folders as well as notebooks. So I can jump very quickly to the notes I need for the current project I'm working on where everything is organized at the location I'm working at for a given project and the year and month if it was something very regular like weekly team meetings. That structure is good enough for me for retrieving whatever I'm looking for. I know Quill has tags if you want to filter individual pages in a given book but the GUI is incredibly slow once you have a lot of notebooks.

My folder hierarchy is typically Location\Building\Project\(Year\Month) for Lecture Notes. That allows me to split things up enough that I'm okay with combing through my notes from that point out. I do date each entry in my notes than highlight it in yellow so I can quickly find notes for a given day. I'm pretty sure LN offers some kind of tagging system if you wanted to make things searchable.

With Quill I backed up old notes to PDF and made a copy on my microSD and my notebook. I actually haven't archived anything yet with Lecture Notes but I know it can export to PDF so I will probably do that. Quill actually offers syncing notes between devices but I never used it. Quill also had automatic backing up to the microSD card.

I don't ever really access my notes on a PC. Due to computer restrictions where I work, my tablet pretty much has to remain an island unto its self while I am at work. If I wanted to make them accessible I would probably sync the PDF files with Dropbox I imagine.

I think Quill has the prettiest writing but Lecture Notes once you set it up is far more functional.

My system would probably fall apart if I wasn't working in an environment of multiple unrelated ever changing projects. If I only worked one project as my entire job, tagging pages would probably be much more important.

For future reference, a setup where you really don't have to think about anything for syncing between devices and backing up, OneNote with Office 2013 on a Surface Pro 2 is probably as simple as you are going to get. That's what my wife uses.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I personally hate this tablet without root. Once I had root, this tablet became an absolute joy to use. I think rooting would be the best advice I could give to a new user that might be frustrated with their Note. Then nearly anything that pisses you off can be fixed in way or another.

Finding the right 3rd party apps is also crucial. I think that if you assume what Samsung provides is the end all of what works with the S Pen, you are really limiting yourself. Once you start branching out you see all the possibilities of the S Pen you can have a much better idea of how useful it is. Also, many times you have to turn on S Pen support for an app such as drawing and note taking apps. Until then it treats the pen like a finger. And sometimes some random 3rd party app may actually do something better than all the big companies with similar apps. Research seriously pays off with this tablet.

A not so super obvious benefit of the S Pen is gaming. I don't know how anybody plays R-Type with their finger when you have all those little enemies flying around the screen from every angle. The S Pen is a huge advantage there. Even casual games like Fruit Ninja, I can play way better with an S Pen because of the higher accuracy and less obstructed vision.

Thanks for the input. Care to share what apps you downloaded for the spen and how you turned on spen instead of having it act as a finger? Very interesting.

wk123

Oct 22, 2010
Great point about using the pen for gaming!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

kisrita

I also use Lecture Notes for work. Besides the notebooks and folders, you can use the index page function to easily find a particular part of a notebook later. I typically index more important meetings within a project notebook to easily reference later. For me this has worked so much better than the many separate paper project notebooks I used to have. I often remember a reference mentioned in a meeting but not the exact value. With my old paper system i would rarely find it. With the indexing in Lecture Notes, it's no trouble at all.

I prefer the Note 8 at work, because the size makes it easier to keep with me all the time. So far I use the Note 10 at home only, but I do backup my Note 8 notes to Dropbox and sync them to my Note 10 with Dropsync so I can pick up the bigger tablet if I ever needed to with all my notes in it already. I used to take notes on an Ipad. The Spen+Lecture Notes combination is a million times better.

I also use the widget or shortcut function of Lecture Notes to place 3 shortcuts on my main screen;
The main notebook of the project I work on for quick access, a notebook I call "to do list", and a blank new notebook in case of an unexpected new topic which I can later rename and organize as needed. All other notebooks and folders I access the normal way. But these shortcuts make it easy to jump between my most used notebooks, and I'm always ready for new topics with an empty notebook.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

jherring002

Nov 7, 2013
l haven't rooted yet. What are the 3rd party apps you use after root. Also how hard is it to Unroot, say when an update Comes out.
l'm just curious how others use their tablets. I use S note. I have purchased lecture notes, but I haunt figured out how to set it up to a way I'm satisfied with. So what are some advantages to rooting?

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
l haven't rooted yet. What are the 3rd party apps you use after root. Also how hard is it to Unroot, say when an update Comes out.
l'm just curious how others use their tablets. I use S note. I have purchased lecture notes, but I haunt figured out how to set it up to a way I'm satisfied with. So what are some advantages to rooting?

turn on the filter (sativ something filter, can't quite remember. I use it at 7), that is the key to a good writing. Lecturenotes is good, but complicated.

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch

Ad away='s no more ads. Titanium back up to get rid of bloat ware or freeze apps. Wanam xposed apps to change the framework and completely customize it. Custom recovery to be able to back up and restore. I just use kies or Odin to manually update. Works perfectly.

Reactions: mustbepbs

BclingergFJ

Sep 28, 2008
I also have the Note 8 & 10.1. The Note 8 is my main tablet, especially for work, due to its size. The Note 10.1 is mainly used for inventory, the larger screen.

Via my Note 3

skyhigh73

Jan 5, 2014
Cairo
S-Pen is a great tool. I use it frequently in almost everything (except games). Also there is plenty of useful applications that is specific to Samsung like S-Note, Ez-pdf reader, Moon reader, Office suite Pro, Digital Calculator (I don`t remember the exact name) and a lot of apps. Another feature which is useful to me which is Multi window apps (requires a rooted device).

But there is performance difference between LTE and 3G devices due to processor difference.

But finally I`m happy with this tablet.

Since I have gotten my Note 10.1, I rarely now use my Nexus 7 2013. I like the screen real estate and as crazy as it sounds, I like the TWZ apps (calendar, S Note, to name a few). I take sermon notes while in church and compared to my iPad 3, it's a gem. I use OfficeSuite 7 with the keyboard to keep up, but for everything else, normal speed writing, I use the S Pen. It's the biggest reason I got the tablet to start with. I played with the Tab Pro 10.1 in BB this weekend and it flies with KK, but I need my S-Pen, so hopefully we get KK soon.

Reactions: Stocklone

dmly

Oct 6, 2009
Turn Off Wifi During Sleep -> Better Battery than iPad

Hi,
For those who complains about battery life sucks, here is one tip: turn off wifi during sleep.
I just went to the Settings -> Connection -> Wifi and enable that. Now my tablet battery is a lot longer than my iPad 2.
Not that I use my Note 10.1 for game or any CPU hungry tasks.

soys4uc3

Sep 21, 2010
Positives of this tablets...

I love it!

Best for remote services like Splashtop. This tab had saved my butt many days at work where my laptop cannot handle certain files. I would use my powerful desktop at home to pull through the loading, then work from there.

This is also a really light weight tablet. Easily one of the more comfortable ones to use, thought it could be a little more balanced like the tablet Z from Sony.

It is impressive in a business scenario. When I use it to show or modify data with the S Pen, I get many Ooouu and Ahhh from older folks. It is a great thing, if you do any of that sort of business. These impressions stick to people, especially if it's their first time seeing a Note product.

Im also in love with how familiar it is to many people. This is debatable, but my family members, friends, and sometimes strangers could pick this tab up, and know how to use it right off the bat. (especially people with samsung phones) Something Android tabs are lacking just a few years ago. Nowadays, the Nexus 7 is the only other friendly tablet I could think of, though it lacks many many out of the box features like the Note.

Reactions: RussellEstridge25

fantasmanegro

Apr 27, 2012
mmmmm positive things

glad to have s-pen....

high resolution, maybe not for video but for drawing it fits

what else?... ok let's see... with this device you:

can download torrents with aTorrent...
can edit pictures with Adobe PS Touch...
can draw with Autodesk Sketchbook
can take notes with Lecture Notes (even record video)
can draw vectors with Infinite Design
can make animations with Animation Studio or FlipaClap (i really like the last one)
can add effects to pictures with Handy Photo, SnapSeed, Pixlr Express or Repix
can view Full HD videos with MX Player (they look really small with this screen resolution)
can edit PDF files with PDF Max
can scan documents to PDF with CamScanner
can edit office documents with Kingsoft Office or OfficeSuite
can create diagrams with TouchDraw
can switch from one app to another with Switchr
can decompress or compress files with ZArchiver
can edit videos or adding effects with VideoPad
can create isometric pixel art with IsoPix
can view Flash videos with internet browser
can create pixel like 3d images with Fumotrim
can share video or audio content and sync with TV
can connect to remote desktop with RD Client, SplashTop ot Team Viewer
can control tv through wifi with Unified Remote Control
can transfer content with SuperBeam or WifiDirect
can connect to TV with MHL adapter
can use multiwindow feature (with root you can run 4 "popup window" apps)

even better, you can encode video but believe me, i will take forever and you will burn your note...:eek:

and many things i can't remember right now... :D

Last edited:

ziotom2

Jul 22, 2008
Milano
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
mmmmm positive things

glad to have s-pen....

can make animations with Animation Studio or FlipaClap (i really like the last one)
can view Full HD videos with MX Player (they look really small with this screen resolution)

even better, you can encode video but believe me, i will take forever and you will burn your note...:eek:

....and now hancom office!!!!!!!!! :)))))

Inviato dal mio SM-P905 utilizzando Tapatalk

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
mmmmm positive things

glad to have s-pen....

Any full hd video should scale to the screen very well I have no idea why they would look small.....but yes to all of the above

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Elim

Feb 17, 2008
Antwerpen
I love this tablet too

I'm sad for those who are thinking of buying this tablet or those who just recently have and read all the negative things about this amazing tablet. Let's all share the things you love most about this awesome device.
You will never win this war against the doomsayer. They will find always something to blame this great tablet.

I for one haven't had nearly as many issues as some have posted on xda or here.
Same for me. And you can came with the argument and the doomsayer still exists that their problem is a general problem of the tablet.

I love my tablet because [...]
+1

I look forward to reading what you all love most about your experience.
Everything. Not only it replace my other (older) tablets but also my gsm for my daily use. I use my HTC One (so you see how high the level staff is) now only for phone calls and text messaging. All the rest I do now with my Note.

So, what I love? Touchwiz *g* Yes, I love it. And if we got the Magazine UX and other changes from the Pro, I will love it more. Because Samsung made a tablet interface out of it. Google has here still to learn that tablets are not bigger phones.

I also love the default apps from Samsung. They have many add-ons which the replacements are still missing. So, I use the default browser, the default launcher and so on.

What I do at the end with this great tablet:

- internet surfing
- social virtual life (facebook, twitter, linkedIn, Google+, Skype...)
- drawing and painting (and I didn't switch any longer to my desktop to finish it)
- taking notes
- prepare shopping
- listen music
- watch full HD films (on the Note or from the intranet or internet)
- software development
- remove to desktop pc (for small tasks)
- project films, photos to TV
- reading books
- reading comics
- use this forum ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellEstridge25

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How's that for positive?

I for one haven't had nearly as many issues as some have posted on xda or here. I think most are too picky or just don't know how to use it.

I love my tablet because it has one of the best screens available, it's snappy, I haven't experience lag with the right settings. I love the spen features, the size is perfect, the over all build is good to me.

With everything this device has to offer and how customizable it can be and even more so if you root or find the right apps the options are almost endless.

I look forward to reading what you all love most about your experience. Let's let's those on the edge about buying or keeping the Note 10.1 2014 edition know its a great buy worth the money!

mmmmm positive things

glad to have s-pen....

Stocklone:

In the last couple off days I've spent a fair amount of time "helping" others work on an issue. As to how much help?? But I've learned a lot and that's when I get the most out of my tablet.
    I could have gotten the new version of old tablet, and at these prices i could have bought the new version of any other tablet. But with the note and its pen, a whole new world opens to me. All the Samsung "junk" is a new frontier for me. I don't need nor even use some of the features but they are there for a slow monday afternoon.
    Tablet runs great even in power saving mode whithout problems others report. With nova launcher and thumbs keyboard, tablet is smooth and familiar. The 3 gig memory and cpu speed allows tablet to have a lot loaded and still run great. No matter how many apps loaded i still have more available mem than on my one gig tablets.
    I have been f airly active, over the last four years, in 4 different tablet forums and in all the "bi***" postings read almost the same. Too slow, unresponsive, build quality, junk ware, customer service, why didnt they, and a few more. Sometimes i think a person reads a review or post headline and just repeats what was said. I wish there was some way to verify if person owns the tablet.
    Dont get me wrong there can be legitimate problems, some self inflicted, that can be helped. But do we really need a new "slow, unresponsive, piece of junk, that they have or are going to return for x computer, where x's spelling starts with an a.
    Woody