For those with 'partial' root after JB update - regain root!

Search This thread

ReasonablyRooted

Mar 22, 2011
I have busybox, I have su (3.0.3.2), I have a we-need-root voodoo backup, I DO NOT have Superuser.apk in /system/app. I can't push anything (always permission denied). I had partial root on 10.4.2.17 (even though I didn't know it was partial). Any way to get that .apk in there so I can get my root back?

I was ready to try unlocking also, but I can't access the second accept button (the page is cut off and doesn't scroll). I can't go any further with it.

I've been reading for two days, and I think I might be stuck waiting for JB root/unlock unless someone out there has something for me to try.

Maverick07r6

Dec 20, 2012
Syracuse
I just figured something out. I found a su-backup in /system/usr/we-need-root . I have lost root again since making this guide. My permissions were screwed up on su. I was able to restore root by doing the following:

Code:
adb shell:
$ cd /system/usr/we-need-root
$./su-backup; su  (that is a semicolon immediately after the ./su-backup)
# mount -o remount,rw /system
(do what needs to be done)
#exit

su-backup must have permissions as such: (get permissions by typing this into adb shell: ls -l /system/usr/we-need-root ) If you get an error, than this specifically won't work for you.

Code:
Required su-backup permissions for manual root restore
$ ls -l /system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup
-rwsr-sr-x  root  ...

basically, if you can find a su-backup with proper permissions (and cannot restore root with voodoo or supersu), you can manually use that to repair your root access configuration. Maybe this is well known... but to those who don't this could be useful.

--After 3 hours of studying your guide on here, and with a bit of ingenuity (never used commands before) I FINALLY got my Atrix HD on 4.1.1 re-rooted with a voodoo su-backup in storage. Thank you SO MUCH!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The_Stranger

Nov 17, 2006
So you aren't getting a permission denied error? If you navigate to /system/usr/ do you have a we-need-root folder? Use the command 'ls -l /system/usr' (both lowercase Ls) Basically, I am trying to find your su-backup (if you have one) I was able to re-obtain root using this idea.

I am also trying to get my root beck, but also unable to. I have the superuser app installed (can't delete it anyway from my prime) and I do have a we-need-root folder.
I tried following the posts from page six, since I can't get root prompt from adb shell.

But when I reboot the prime, it still says all apps denied root access...

The su in the we-need-root folder has the permissions from the post above me.

Last edited:

Zaiden

May 9, 2011
Omg...please help!

I have done every step with no errors. However, after rebooting and running Root Checker it states I am improperly rooted. I go to Voodoo and everything is checked except for "Root permission granted". It shows that my device is rooted though. I run SuperUser and it can't update the binary. I can go into ADB and it shows "#", meaning I have root. Where do I go from here????

F308

Feb 25, 2013
EU
Is this problem resolved ?

I can go into ADB and it shows "#", meaning I have root. Where do I go from here????

My answer is late but I joined XDA recently.
I have some hints but want to know it they are needed.

BTW:
To see # prompt DOESN'T mean you have root.
NOT to see # may mean you still have root. (I do however I dont see # running su).
More explanations on request.

abczhou

Apr 9, 2011
I have done every step with no errors. However, after rebooting and running Root Checker it states I am improperly rooted. I go to Voodoo and everything is checked except for "Root permission granted". It shows that my device is rooted though. I run SuperUser and it can't update the binary. I can go into ADB and it shows "#", meaning I have root. Where do I go from here????

I have the same problem as yours, did you find solution ?

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
I have the same problem as yours, did you find solution ?

I tried the techniques in this thread with less than complete results. Try here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1642694 If you need a recovery, the first video is what you want. If you just want root, there's a video a little further down for that. It worked flawless for me, and it's super simple. Dude just posted a couple days ago that he's keeping an eye out for the 4.2 to drop for our tab, and as soon as it does he'll add a video for that. Hope that helps.

JGattonii

Apr 21, 2013
Just in Case You Haven't Heard...

Just in case you haven't heard, DJRBliss has published an exploit to root Bionic XT910 Jelly Bean Build - available from DroidRzr:

[ROOT] Motoshare 2: Old Bug, New Exploit

I had partial root going in but full root now!

ArcAiN6

Apr 13, 2014
THANK YOU!!

OMG!! Thank you SO MUCH for this..

For the past week i have been trying to root this cheap chinese android i got off of ebay for 30$

The thing came partially rooted, and using apps like superoneclick, and srsroot wasn't working AT ALL..

Using this method, i have ROOT!!

YAY!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will only work if you can access a root prompt (#) in adb shell! THIS WAS DONE AFTER DOING A WIPE FROM THE VOLUME DOWN MENU WHEN BOOTING THE PRIME! I do not know if this will work without the wipe, but it very well may. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in here.

It may be possible to restore from a su-backup if you have a su binary still in /system/bin or xbin. Even if you can't access a root prompt (#) by just typing su, read starting at page 6. Places to look for a su-backup include /system/ /system/usr/we-need-root/ and /system/bin/

I have a batch script in the works that will determine if you can re-root and take the appropriate steps to do so if possible.

I had to do a voldown wipe after my update to JB. My prime would reboot after 5-10 seconds into the homescreen after boot. After wiping, I thought for sure my root was screwed until a new exploit was found.

I accessed my device through adb, and realized that I could invoke a root prompt using the su command at the $ prompt. Using ES file explorer, I could see su in /system/bin/ but no su-backup or superuser.apk in /system/app/.

I tried simply installing superuser from the market, but it did not work. The busybox installer would not work, either.

ATTACHED ARE THE EXACT THREE FILES I USED. I do not know if using different version will affect the process!

Here is what worked for me:

1. adb shell
    2. su
    (# - you should see this now! This will not work without this specific prompt!)
    3. type 'exit' press enter, and then 'exit' again. You will now be back at the regular command prompt.
    4. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\superuser.apk /data/local/tmp
    5. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\su /data/local/tmp
    6. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\busybox /data/local/tmp
    7. Access the adb shell again, and type su
    8. chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/superuser.apk
    9. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
    10. chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su
    11. mount -o remount,rw /system
    12. dd if=/data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk of=/system/app/Superuser.apk
    13. dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/bin/busybox
    14. dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox
    14a. Chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
    14b. Chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
    15. Reserved
    16. busybox rm /system/bin/su
    17. busybox cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
    18. type su once again to assure you still have access to the # prompt
    18a. Chmod 644 /system/app/superuser.apk
    18b. mount -o remount,ro /system
    19. type exit, and exit again, returning to the regular windows command prompt.
    20. type 'adb reboot' (without quotes)
    NOTE - you will not need to install the superuser.apk app in the normal sense. It will be installed upon the reboot as a system app automatically!
    21. Once your prime has rebooted, go download root checker basic or the like from the play store. Open it, and wait for your superuser prompt! :)
    22. Get the busybox installer from the play store as well, and use that to get the newest version of busybox.
    23. Get SuperSU from the market. It seems to be the safest method to keep root with JB...

ALSO! Make sure to keep a backup root with voodoo or super su after completing this guide! I have lost root (VERY WELL may have been my own fault... too much poking around) Anyway, better safe than sorry!!!

Thanks to daymz from the debugfs thread in development for the basic instructions of what needed to be done!! And also thanks to all before me who got us root in the first place!

I will answer questions to the best of my ability. I am not a developer and do not try to present myself as so... I can tinker with the best, and after losing root, I set out to see if I could figure it out!

Changes made as per tsmt971
    I have fellow this method and it was failed at step 16 in my case because of the permission issue but I managed to make it move and regained the root. The details of the issue as below.

Step 16 failed because step 13, 14 which will copy busybox to /system/bin and /system/xbin with a wrong executive permission.
    To correct in my case: after step 13, 14 follow those steps below:
    - chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
    - chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
    - skip step 15
    - continue steps 16, 17, 18
    - chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    - continue step 19, 20, 21, 22

Then you will get your root back, it worked in my case. Good luck guys.
    To the OP, please verify and update those steps if necessary.
    I just figured something out. I found a su-backup in /system/usr/we-need-root . I have lost root again since making this guide. My permissions were screwed up on su. I was able to restore root by doing the following:

Code:
    adb shell:
    $ cd /system/usr/we-need-root
    $./su-backup; su  (that is a semicolon immediately after the ./su-backup)
    # mount -o remount,rw /system
    (do what needs to be done)
    #exit

su-backup must have permissions as such: (get permissions by typing this into adb shell: ls -l /system/usr/we-need-root ) If you get an error, than this specifically won't work for you.

Code:
    Required su-backup permissions for manual root restore
    $ ls -l /system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup
    -rwsr-sr-x  root  ...

basically, if you can find a su-backup with proper permissions (and cannot restore root with voodoo or supersu), you can manually use that to repair your root access configuration. Maybe this is well known... but to those who don't this could be useful.
    Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying right now there's no way for many of us to get a root access to our devices if the abovementioned method is not working, right?

As far as I know, unless someone is keeping a HUGE secret.

I should mention the unlocker from ASUS but i don't know if anyone has tried it on JellyBean
    Same Boat:
    shell@android:/system/xbin $ ls -l
    ls -l
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 497964 2012-09-26 21:25 busybox
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 59760 2012-09-27 11:18 dexdump
    -rwx------ root root 5380 2012-09-27 11:18 ps3bttest
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 23592 2012-09-27 11:18 rfcomm
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 380532 2012-09-26 21:04 su

This is my output when I type SU

shell@android:/system/xbin $ su
    su
    1|shell@android:/system/xbin $