Working: Tethering with Dell Venue Pro

Search This thread

xthing

May 13, 2007
Disclaimer:
I got most of this from wmpoweruser.com, see the original article here. Thanks a lot to Kuo who figured this out!
The only addition for me was figuring out the initialization command as the one that was originally mentioned didn't work for me on TMobile USA.

Instructions:
1)
Download HTC Sync for Android from HTC for USB Modem driver for 32bit Windows from HTC’s site (the whole package) or for 64bit systems just the driver here.
I just used the driver (second link) on my Windows 7 x64 and bbowman confirmed the full package from HTC's site working for x86.

2)
Unpack the driver and edit both HtcUsbMdmV64.inf and HtcVComV64.inf. Replace the HTC device IDs with VID_05c6&PID_3199. Leave the &MI_00.

3)
Start the EM diagnostic app on your Dell Venue Pro (##634#), and go to Service Center. Switch to composite mode – password is *#301#

4)
After rebooting the phone, open device manager. Select the first unknown device (USB\VID_05C6&PID_3199&REV_0000&MI_00). Select update driver and point to the root of the two folders (it looks like it’s using HtcUsbMdmV64).

5)
Connect device to PC, open "HTC USB Modem" in Device Manager and select "Advance" section and under "Extra Initialization Command" add the following:
Code:
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","epc.tmobile.com"

6)
Create a new dial-up connection with HTC USB Modem, dial-up phone number is *99# .Just connect without user name and password.

Hope that helps, the above procedure worked fine for me :)

Last edited:

bbowman

Dec 27, 2010
Orange
I was able to download the chinese driver no problem (just click on the American flag on the top-right so the language is switched). I got through step 3 in your instructions but step 4 didn't work. I connected my DVP to my Win7 laptop and the device manager showed 4 unknown devices, none of which stated USB\VID_05C6&PID_3199&REV_0000&MI_00 in the description. I tried applying the driver to each of the 4 unknown devices and none of them worked.

Perhaps you could be more specific in how those .inf file should be edited? The info I edited were under the setting [Models.NTamd64] in both files because that was the only heading which contained the "&MI-00" that you said to leave alone.

Here is the original info under the Models.NTamd64 section in the HtcUsbMdmV64.inf file:
[Models.NTamd64]
%OEM00% = Modem0, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFC&MI_00
%OEM01% = Modem0, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFF

Here is what I changed it to:
%OEM00% = Modem0, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199&MI_00
%OEM01% = Modem0, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199

Here's the original info under the Models.NTamd64 section in the HtcVComV64.inf file:
[Models.NTamd64]
%OEMDevice00% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFE
%OEMDevice01% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0E01&MI_00
%OEMDevice02% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0E02&MI_00

Here's what I changed it to:
%OEMDevice00% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199
%OEMDevice01% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199&MI_00
%OEMDevice02% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199&MI_00

is this correct?

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
I was able to download the chinese driver no problem (just click on the American flag on the top-right so the language is switched). I got through step 3 in your instructions but step 4 didn't work. I connected my DVP to my Win7 laptop and the device manager showed 4 unknown devices, none of which stated USB\VID_05C6&PID_3199&REV_0000&MI_00 in the description. I tried applying the driver to each of the 4 unknown devices and none of them worked.

Perhaps you could be more specific in how those .inf file should be edited? The info I edited were under the setting [Models.NTamd64] in both files because that was the only heading which contained the "&MI-00" that you said to leave alone.

Here is the original info under the Models.NTamd64 section in the HtcUsbMdmV64.inf file:
[Models.NTamd64]
%OEM00% = Modem0, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFC&MI_00
%OEM01% = Modem0, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFF

Here is what I changed it to:
%OEM00% = Modem0, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199&MI_00
%OEM01% = Modem0, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199

Here's the original info under the Models.NTamd64 section in the HtcVComV64.inf file:
[Models.NTamd64]
%OEMDevice00% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFE
%OEMDevice01% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0E01&MI_00
%OEMDevice02% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0E02&MI_00

Here's what I changed it to:
%OEMDevice00% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199
%OEMDevice01% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199&MI_00
%OEMDevice02% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_05c6&PID_3199&MI_00

is this correct?
Double click the device, then go to the Details tab. The dropdown menu should indicate "Hardware Ids" - take a look at the first value returned.

And yes, that's how the INF should be edited.

bbowman

Dec 27, 2010
Orange
now i only have two unknown devices and the Hardware ID values are:
USB\VID_045E&PID_04EC&REV_0000&MI_00
and
USB\VID_045E&PID_04EC&REV_0000&MI_01

neither one of these can be updated to the HTD driver with the modified .inf files.

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
and

neither one of these can be updated to the HTD driver with the modified .inf files.
That's fine - those aren't Qualcomm devices (sounds like some other Microsoft hardware you have on your PC). Under Modems, you should see HTC USB Modem. Open the Properties of that, go to Diagnostics, then Query Modem. If you see results, then you're good to go.

xthing

May 13, 2007
and

So it went from 4 to 2 unknown devices? That actually sounds like the drivers were installed :)
Do you have now a HTC USB Modem device under "Modems" in Device Manager when you connect the phone via USB to the PC?

bbowman

Dec 27, 2010
Orange
yes I'm in Composite Mode. for kicks I went back to Zune mode then back to Composite mode again and now I'm back to the 4 Unknown Devices when I connect the DVP to the laptop, the first of which now shows the correct Hardware ID value shown in the original post. Still can't update it to the modified HTC driver though :|

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
yes I'm in Composite Mode. for kicks I went back to Zune mode then back to Composite mode again and now I'm back to the 4 Unknown Devices when I connect the DVP to the laptop, the first of which now shows the correct Hardware ID value shown in the original post. Still can't update it to the modified HTC driver though :|
Would you mind detailing the exact steps you did you update the driver? Since modifying the INF breaks the driver signature, you might have to jump through some hoops to get it working.

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
I did this in post #4 http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10912890&postcount=4

is there any other info you are looking for?
Yeah, I was looking for how you actually updated the drivers...

Double click the first unknown device, hit Update Driver... Then "Browse my computer for driver software". Point the search path to the root of the two folders, and check "Include subfolders". Hit next. A warning will come up saying Windows can't verify the driver signature, blah blah. Hit "Install anyway". After that you'll be good to go, hopefully.

bbowman

Dec 27, 2010
Orange
oh right. yes i did it using that exact same procedure (i even tried pointing to each of the subfolders) and each time it said it couldn't find a driver for the device. i'll try starting from scratch again, maybe i typo'd somewhere

EDIT: started from the beginning again, still no go. hopefully someone might be able to determine what i did wrong.

Last edited:

xthing

May 13, 2007
Can you try uninstalling all HTC drivers from your PC and try the procedure again and use the driver attached (it's my modified package i used during install).

Attachments

• DVP_USB_Driver.zip
    127.1 KB · Views: 204

bbowman

Dec 27, 2010
Orange
thanks for posting your copy of the driver. unfortunately it didn't work either. I tried again on a second spare Win7 laptop and had the same results.

are you able to tether successfully? what version of Windows are you running?

kltye

Mar 22, 2006
Chicago
thanks for posting your copy of the driver. unfortunately it didn't work either. I tried again on a second spare Win7 laptop and had the same results.

are you able to tether successfully? what version of Windows are you running?
I'm wondering if these are 64-bit drivers only - I'm running Win7 x64.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tethering Dell Venue Pro Window Phone 7 on AT&T

First see this thread to get phone into composite mode – password is still *#301#

"Folks, the hidden menu under the Dell EM app has been cracked open. Here is how to get to it. Its still stupid of Dell to have a convoluted way to get get to it.

1. GO to EM app on your DVP (dial ##634# - if u haven't done so to make the app appear under apps)
    2. Open physical keypad
    3. Double tap the blank dark area of the screen (below the MMS settings)
    4. On the physical keyboard, press each of the first row buttons (qwertyuiop)
    5. This should open up the advanced menu."

Then-
    instead of using [at+cgdcont=1,"IP","epc.tmobile.com"] in the extra initialization command use [at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"]

Also make sure to use previous reply's directions to turn off data connection.

Everything else is the same.
    yes. unfortunately i don't have a 64bit version nearby to test

For the x86 version try the full package from the HTC site:
    http://www.htc.com/europe/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=1073&news_id=856
    Got the DVP 2 days ago and this morning after I got the phone on mobilicity (unlimited data!!) I had to use the ##634# command but all i get (besides a dog picture) are three options.

Phone Information

System information

MMS Settings

Unfortunately I don't have anything else or a "composite" settings to access. Did I miss something or is my version of the DVP unable to do this and or eventually tether?

Refer to my earlier post - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1025341