Official Stupid Questions Thread - No Question too Stupid

Search This thread

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
Here you can post any questions you think you will get yelled at or criticized for because you don't know the answer or you didn't search hard enough. xBeerdroiDx had a great idea when he posted this over in the S4 forums.

Ask any question you wish, the only stupid question is the one that's been answered 150,000 times. Just kidding, ask whatever you want as long as it's Note 3 or AT&T related. I'll even go with Samsung related.

Forum Rules: MUST BE FOLLOWED

If somebody helped you don't be afraid to hit the "Thanks" button.
Don't forget to rate the thread if you found it helpful!

Any flaming will be reported!

I'm going to add a spot on the OP for helpful members so they can be recognized in someway for helping other members, and give them a spot for credit in the future if they want to become a recognized contributor or anything like that. If you think you should be recognized in the OP then PM me. As the thread gets bigger I won't be able to find all the post by people just by reading page by page. I'll add people as they continually help on this thread as well.

Update: If you feel that you are a contributor on this thread, please PM me and I will review your post and add you here.

Contributors:
Solarenemy68
ajster1989
jerrycoffman45

Last edited:

TJCacher

Jul 11, 2006
Springfield, MO
I'll give it a shot...

Coming from a Note 2, and I rely a lot on Google Now (aka Voice Search).

I was able to set up my Note 2 to launch Google Now by long pressing the menu key.

If there's a way to do this on the Note 3, I haven't found it yet. Anyone know a way? (For now, my workaround is to long press the home key to bring up task switcher and press the globe icon to launch Google Now.)

Question 2:

I used Internet Browser (had manually installed flash) on my Note 2. The version on my Note 2 had a "Labs" menu where you could turn on a circular floating menu feature to operate most browser functions by just sliding your thumb in from a screen edge. I got really fast with that and feel very inefficient in the browser without it.

My Note 3's Internet Browser app doesn't appear to have a "Labs" menu at all. Any secret way anyone knows to get that menu (or the floating circular thumb menu feature) back on this apparently newer version of the app? I know loading an older version of the app is probably out of the question without root.

Thanks for reading my stupid questions.

Despite these minor quibbles, I'm really loving this faster, brighter phone and its (in my opinion) vastly better camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2

Bataga

Jan 2, 2012
Georgia
When will we have root?
Do you think the bootloader will get unlocked?
What's a bootloader?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sir_Zuul

Oct 5, 2013
I'm relatively new to Android. I had a few Kindle Fires and an S2 Skyrocket but didn't do anything much with either. After having an iPhone 5s and being underwhelmed, I switched to the Note 3 and love it. My problem is my battery life has been poor. The battery life was supposed to be awesome and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's what I do now.

-Keep screen as dim as it will go
-Have Juice Defender that switches WiFi and data off/on depending on what's being used
-Bluetooth & GPS off unless I need them
-Auto-Sync is off and I have data restriction on
-I periodically go into the running apps and stop what's useless to me (Games, Samsung Apps etc.)

I may be overreacting, but I heard this battery is great and it's going down fast by just web browsing. Is there anything I'm missing being new to Android and all? Thanks.

seanu13

Mar 29, 2013
Have the pen button gestures from the note 2 been removed from the note 3? I miss the one for going home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

inmotion

Feb 14, 2008
I'm relatively new to Android. I had a few Kindle Fires and an S2 Skyrocket but didn't do anything much with either. After having an iPhone 5s and being underwhelmed, I switched to the Note 3 and love it. My problem is my battery life has been poor. The battery life was supposed to be awesome and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's what I do now.

-Keep screen as dim as it will go
-Have Juice Defender that switches WiFi and data off/on depending on what's being used
-Bluetooth & GPS off unless I need them
-Auto-Sync is off and I have data restriction on
-I periodically go into the running apps and stop what's useless to me (Games, Samsung Apps etc.)

I may be overreacting, but I heard this battery is great and it's going down fast by just web browsing. Is there anything I'm missing being new to Android and all? Thanks.

Check and make sure the wifi scanning for apps is off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ekerbuddyeker

I'll give it a shot...

Coming from a Note 2, and I rely a lot on Google Now (aka Voice Search).

I was able to set up my Note 2 to launch Google Now by long pressing the menu key.

If there's a way to do this on the Note 3, I haven't found it yet. Anyone know a way? (For now, my workaround is to long press the home key to bring up task switcher and press the globe icon to launch Google Now.)

Question 2:

I used Internet Browser (had manually installed flash) on my Note 2. The version on my Note 2 had a "Labs" menu where you could turn on a circular floating menu feature to operate most browser functions by just sliding your thumb in from a screen edge. I got really fast with that and feel very inefficient in the browser without it.

My Note 3's Internet Browser app doesn't appear to have a "Labs" menu at all. Any secret way anyone knows to get that menu (or the floating circular thumb menu feature) back on this apparently newer version of the app? I know loading an older version of the app is probably out of the question without root.

Thanks for reading my stupid questions.

Despite these minor quibbles, I'm really loving this faster, brighter phone and its (in my opinion) vastly better camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2

On Q3. Google updated maps and removed labs. Really pissed me off becuase I used the labs stuff. I actually think the newest version is worse than the desert version. Does that seem to be a way to add it back.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

PROFESSOR25

Oct 1, 2013
Dallas
Scrapbooker

Is anyone having issues using scrapbooker? I'm not able to actually save Youtube videos as promised. I would attempt to save a video as you would do any content using scrapbooker and when i go into scrapbooker, it only seems to save as a photo.

Using ATT SM-N900A version.

akak1997

Apr 25, 2009
I'm currently with Sprint and thinking of switching over to AT&T (Sprint 4G/LTE signal sucks at my work location) and get a Note 3 (or MotoX, but most likely Note 3). I'm new to the whole GSM smartphone in US so I'm unclear on a few things, especially regarding Sim Lock and Bootloader lock on AT&T

Here's my questions:
  1. Why bother locking Bootloader? The official words seem to be that the Carriers are worried about untested software running on their networks and could cause problems. However, people are mentioning that they can pay full retail price for a T-Mobile phone which is not bootloader locked and sim unlock it and use it on AT&T. If anyone can do that (if they want to pay for the phone in full) there WILL be untested software running on their network anyways.
  2. Why bother locking the sim card? It's not like I can unlock my phone and cancel my contract and move to T-Mobile, I'll still get slap by a Early Termination Fee to pay off the subsidized portion of the phone and then some.
  3. If I want to use my phone elsewhere in the world, I heard that the phone is Region Locked as well, and if I don't unlock the sim or use the region unlock apk, I can't use it outside of US. Are there any issue if I pay to remove the sim lock? e.g. will AT&T fine me or something if they finds out? (I currently don't have to deal w/ this problem because no one else in the world use CDMA, and I just get a cheapo dumb phone when I travel).

thanks

918273645ams

Jun 13, 2010
I'm currently with Sprint and thinking of switching over to AT&T (Sprint 4G/LTE signal sucks at my work location) and get a Note 3 (or MotoX, but most likely Note 3). I'm new to the whole GSM smartphone in US so I'm unclear on a few things, especially regarding Sim Lock and Bootloader lock on AT&T

Here's my questions:
  1. Why bother locking Bootloader? The official words seem to be that the Carriers are worried about untested software running on their networks and could cause problems. However, people are mentioning that they can pay full retail price for a T-Mobile phone which is not bootloader locked and sim unlock it and use it on AT&T. If anyone can do that (if they want to pay for the phone in full) there WILL be untested software running on their network anyways.
  2. Why bother locking the sim card? It's not like I can unlock my phone and cancel my contract and move to T-Mobile, I'll still get slap by a Early Termination Fee to pay off the subsidized portion of the phone and then some.
  3. If I want to use my phone elsewhere in the world, I heard that the phone is Region Locked as well, and if I don't unlock the sim or use the region unlock apk, I can't use it outside of US. Are there any issue if I pay to remove the sim lock? e.g. will AT&T fine me or something if they finds out? (I currently don't have to deal w/ this problem because no one else in the world use CDMA, and I just get a cheapo dumb phone when I travel).

thanks

AT&T won't fine you if you unlock your device.. I'm pretty sure they would do it for you for a fee.

Rippley05

May 11, 2010
Ok, under s pen option. It says turning off pen detection when the pen is attached can save battery. What does that mean? What are they calling pen detection?

Also, I can not get burst mode to work while taking pictures. I assume it is press and hold like any other phone right?

sEnt from thE noTe 3

Reactions: wkbattis

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
Ok, under s pen option. It says turning off pen detection when the pen is attached can save battery. What does that mean? What are they calling pen detection?

Also, I can not get burst mode to work while taking pictures. I assume it is press and hold like any other phone right?

sEnt from thE noTe 3

To answer your first question your phone is always making sure (yes here come the jokes) you got the pen in it. But turning that off will save battery life. It will still detect when you take it out.

I can't answer your second question

runtohell121

Oct 3, 2011
What kind of system language is available on this device? As in, menus, apps, etc. (not keyboard since keyboard can be downloaded through play store, etc.), all in a certain language. From my past experience with AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3 phone, there is no Chinese as a system language if I remember correctly and wondering if this still the same.

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
What kind of system language is available on this device? As in, menus, apps, etc. (not keyboard since keyboard can be downloaded through play store, etc.), all in a certain language. From my past experience with AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3 phone, there is no Chinese as a system language if I remember correctly and wondering if this still the same.

Screenshot_2013-10-06-15-45-14.png

This is what's currently avaliable

Reactions: runtohell121

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here you can post any questions you think you will get yelled at or criticized for because you don't know the answer or you didn't search hard enough. xBeerdroiDx had a great idea when he posted this over in the S4 forums.

Ask any question you wish, the only stupid question is the one that's been answered 150,000 times. Just kidding, ask whatever you want as long as it's Note 3 or AT&T related. I'll even go with Samsung related.

Forum Rules: MUST BE FOLLOWED

If somebody helped you don't be afraid to hit the "Thanks" button.
    Don't forget to rate the thread if you found it helpful!

Any flaming will be reported!

I'm going to add a spot on the OP for helpful members so they can be recognized in someway for helping other members, and give them a spot for credit in the future if they want to become a recognized contributor or anything like that. If you think you should be recognized in the OP then PM me. As the thread gets bigger I won't be able to find all the post by people just by reading page by page. I'll add people as they continually help on this thread as well.

Update: If you feel that you are a contributor on this thread, please PM me and I will review your post and add you here.

Contributors:
    Solarenemy68
    ajster1989
    jerrycoffman45
    I am running stock 4.4.2. tw and want to flash cyanogenmod, the version of cm11 I want to flash is 4.4.4 or maybe cm12 if it is stable enough. The real question that I have to ask is do I really have to be running stock 4.4.4 to flash cm11 or cm12 to my note 3?
    A better question is:

If you're in AT&T Galaxy Note 3 ... how are you planning on flashing anything cm to your phone?

Cowboy from Hell on a twisted trail.
    Koffed From my Big Ass Outlaw Phone.
    Apparently my searching skills are no good today.

I just rooted, I am looking for a guide or list of apps that are safe to remove after rooting. I don't really want to mess with flashing custom ROMs yet, I will be happy without some of this AT&T bloatware. I found a list of stuff *not* to remove but it was huge and was on a site I am not familiar with.

Thanks in advance :)

Remove_KNOX_Galaxy_Note-3_AT_T.zip
    Removes:

KNOXStub.apk
    KNOXAgent.apk
    KNOXStore.apk
    KnoxAttestationAgent.apk
    KLMSAgent.apk
    ContainerAgent.apk
    KNOXStub.odex
    KNOXAgent.odex
    KNOXStore.odex
    KnoxAttestationAgent.odex
    KLMSAgent.odex
    ContainerAgent.odex
    Folder secure_storage/com.sec.knox.store

Galaxy_Note_3_KitKat_AT_T_App_Remover_Recovery_Installer.zip

Removes:

APO_ATT.apk
    attMessages_vpl_ATT.apk
    myATT_ATT.apk
    skyfireToolbar_ATT.apk
    YPMobile_ATT.apk
    SmartWifi_vpl_ATT.apk
    BeatsMusic_vpl_ATT.apk
    WISPr_Android22_postpaid_ATT.apk
    attCodeScanner_vpl_ATT.apk
    FamilyMap_vpl_ATT.apk
    Lookout_ATT.apk
    digitalLocker_ATT.apk
    ready2Go_ATT.apk
    Telenav_ATT.apk
    WildTangent_ATT.apk
    DriveMode_ATT.apk
    com.mobitv.client.tv.apk
    com.att.android.attsmartwifi-1.apk
    com.att.android.attsmartwifi-2.apk
    com.att.android.digitallocker-1.apk
    com.att.android.digitallocker-2.apk
    com.att.android.mobile.attmessages-1.apk
    com.att.android.mobile.attmessages-2.apk
    com.drivemode-1.apk
    com.drivemode-2.apk
    com.mtag.att.codescanner-1.apk
    com.mtag.att.codescanner-2.apk
    com.telenav.app.android.cingular-1.apk
    com.telenav.app.android.cingular-2.apk
    com.wavemarket.waplauncher-1.apk
    com.wavemarket.waplauncher-2.apk
    com.mobitv.client.tv-1.apk
    com.mobitv.client.tv-2.apk

Galaxy_Note_3_AT&T_KitKat_MobilePrintSvc_App_Remover_Recovery_Installer.zip

Removes:

MobilePrintSvc_CUPS.apk
    MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend.apk
    MobilePrintSvc_Epson.apk
    MobilePrintSvc_HP.apk
    MobilePrintSvc_Samsung.apk
    MobilePrintSvc_WFDS.apk
    com.sec.app.samsungprintservice-1.apk
    com.sec.app.samsungprintservice-2.apk
    com.hp.android.printservice-1.apk
    com.hp.android.printservice-2.apk
    AT&T Note 3.
    I was rooted using Kingo.
    I UN-rooted my phone, and deleted the safestrap app.
    However, When I reboot my phone, it is STILL bringing up safestrap boot menu.
    I need to get safestrap completely off and go back to my original stock rom.
    How do I get safestrap completely removed and to stop coming up when I reboot my device?

Please help.
    Thanks.

(Please keep the fix simple, as I have very basic knowledge.)

Reroot and reinstall bootstrap open bootstrap click uninstall recovery then uninstall bootstrap then unroot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk