Unable to Re-Root Droid 2 after Gingerbread OTA

Search This thread

halfs13

Mar 2, 2011
Working for Droid R2-D2

Just got the gingerbread OTA today and thanks to this thread got my root back.

Thanks to drumster's post I used Psouza's 1-cick root and got it to work without any deleting of old su or busybox or anything such. Running the phone in charge only with debugging enabled, I ran the "root my phone" option. I let the program do it's thing, with the exception of when it rebooted my phone. When rebooting it would boot into the bootloader and stop, causing Psouza's program to fail. To fix, as soon as the phone would shut off I would pull the usb and start it back up myself as to force it to start normally. Once the red Motorola logo appeared I replaced the usb and the program ran perfectly.

Then again, Im not sure if anyone else has the issue with the boot loader as it may have been from the original rooting. Hrrmm... can't remember. None the less, thank you to drumster and Psouza.

----Just re-rooted my girl's R2-D2 with the same method without any issue with the bootloader issue, so I guess it was something I did on the first go round. Worked one click with psouza's program, so again thanks to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: philliyxx

xm0067

Aug 19, 2011
Z4root only works for froyo, not gingerbread. There are various 1 click options out there, and I believe there is a one click app in the works (I know there is a phone only method, though it involves some command lines)

Sent from my ApeX-ed, Overclocked, and Automated Droid 2.

csjg525

Sep 17, 2011
Outstanding, I tried a few different rooting methods. This worked first time. Even though the phone updated while it was rooted. Thank you psousa4!!!

lqube2000

Apr 29, 2011
Bonaire
Android R2D2

I had the OTA Root problem as well. Theupgrade worked fine, but I had to go the the su prompt to remove some files. Once I did that the process work correctly. It was a shock to find that my phone was nolongr rooted...

Tracker557

Jan 22, 2009
OP here....

Hello, OP here. Wanted to let everyone know that I've had success with my reroot.

At the time of the first post I was using Petesmotorolaroottools V1.03 without success.

Since then, V1.06 has been release and worked without issue. I unrooted with it and then ran the root. Worked fine.

Now I need to get past the wireless teather issues that are being covered in other posts.

Thanks all!

draftmaster01

Oct 16, 2011
Droid 2 Wireless tether (not usb tether)

I was wanting to know if the problem you are having is related to the Droid 2 (after rooting since the verizon update in Sept 2011) not being able to connect via wifi to a static IP router with a fixed IP. I need this for a special connection that revolves around a shared computer network that is in not connected to internet. I have tried everything in this thread I found and even got my droid rooted where the USB tether works and I appear to have SU rights now. However, I know nothing about the programing language of smart phones and I rooted with a one click root from Pete Souza. THANKS PETE!!! but just got to get this thing to connect to a static IP without going through this "obtaining IP" "Connected", "Disconnecting" loop problem. If I enable the DHCP on the linksys router, it will connect. However, the particular PLC type network will only function on a static IP system for all of it's clients. The stupid Ipods and Ipads we have will connect to static. Why wont Android??? I am just trying to be able to view and interface the view on the desktop computers on this system so I can operate industrial equipment from remote locations throughout a factory without having to use the Ipads and Ipods.

BigNateG

Oct 27, 2011
Denver
Hi There!
Like others on this thread, I have D2G that was rooted with z4root. I allowed the OTA upgrade without un-rooting. It came back up but I am unable to re-root using Pete's Motorola Root Tools. The app finds the phone, runs the exploit, then attempts to reboot the phone, but never succeeds. The phone powers off and then comes back up to the bootloader screen. I unplug it and restart, plug it back in and attempt the steps listed in this thread:
Open a command prompt in the support_files folder where adb is located.

Get into the shell by typing: "adb shell"

type "/system/xbin/su"

This will pop-up a prompt on your phone to allow Superuser access - just click Okay.
but I get the message that says '/system/xbin/su: not found'

Please help!

dnilsen

Sep 22, 2010
I'm feeling dumber than usual so hopefully my issue is easier to fix.
My phone was rooted until the last upgrade.

I downloaded the drivers (Win 7/64) and connected my phone.
I ran Pete's Motorola root program (as root).

It found my phone. It said rebooted my phone. then nothing.
I've run it connected for power only and as PC. No difference.
The phone is fine. The rooting process just stops after the phone gets rebootted.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong so that it stops where it does?

gzusphish

Nov 27, 2011
Thanks for this post

I have a D2G and I had the exact same problem.

[Contents removed for brevity]

After this just exit out of everything and run the 1-click root again. It should work now.

======================
All credits to psouza [Redacted since forum didn't want me to post links yet]
======================

Rooted Froyo R2D2 with Z4Root. Gingerbread stomped my root. Tried rerooting with SuperOneClick, but failed. Followed Pete Souza's step-by-step instructions in this post by drumster and got a freshly rooted astromech...mmmm...golden, brown, and delicious.

So a hearty and resounding thank you to drumster for posting the instructions. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. Unless you're not a sir. In which case, you ma'am are a scholar and a lady.

Also, I tip my hat...wait...not wearing it...lemme put it on...there...

I tip my hat to Pete Souza; the gentleman who had the answer to my question. As a token of my gratitude, I give you this comma "," to do with as you please. Feel free to use it the next time you read a list that omits the comma before the 'and', or find independent clauses that are incorrectly joined. You may find it helpful to print your new comma on a transparency and hold it over the screen as you read; that way you can repair sentences as you find them. More than likely you'll find a use for your comma somewhere in this post.

Last edited:

orcson

Feb 1, 2009
Utrecht
Hi There!
Like others on this thread, I have D2G that was rooted with z4root. I allowed the OTA upgrade without un-rooting. It came back up but I am unable to re-root using Pete's Motorola Root Tools. The app finds the phone, runs the exploit, then attempts to reboot the phone, but never succeeds. The phone powers off and then comes back up to the bootloader screen. I unplug it and restart, plug it back in and attempt the steps listed in this thread:
but I get the message that says '/system/xbin/su: not found'

Please help!

I have exactly the same problem BigNateG. Has anyone found a solution to the problem???

I have a milestone 2 on android 2.3.4; Build MILS2_U6_4.1-22

Last edited:

aod420247

May 11, 2010
Aurora
I have exactly the same problem BigNateG. Has anyone found a solution to the problem???

I have a milestone 2 on android 2.3.4; Build MILS2_U6_4.1-22

third this problem. anything in a way of a response to this would be awesome!

my issue is that i sbfed the phone, but there is still AFTER the sbf, the apex boot screen and also i think remnats of the root left behind. if an sbf flash wont kill this stuff then what will? how do it get it to flash back to froyo? i had to use a gingerbread sbf to even get it to flash, all the other sbf files were saying chipset type 50 not supported??? will the latest version of rsd lite flash the very first sbf to this phone?

Chuck4197

Jul 18, 2012
I know this is a bit of an old thread but im going to fourth this problem.... same exact thing where the droid 3 one click root (now V 1.8) goes through everything but fails at the final step and throws an error about not being able to add superuser and busybox. Though when i go to the shell in the command prompt it says /system/xbin/su: not found.... i have 2.3.4 and recently just sbf'ed to fresh to that from a previous failed rom attempt (was rooted prior to that too)

not sure what to do to get my droid 2 rooted again...

thanks

I know this is a bit of an old thread but im going to fourth this problem.... same exact thing where the droid 3 one click root (now V 1.8) goes through everything but fails at the final step and throws an error about not being able to add superuser and busybox. Though when i go to the shell in the command prompt it says /system/xbin/su: not found.... i have 2.3.4 and recently just sbf'ed to fresh to that from a previous failed rom attempt (was rooted prior to that too)

not sure what to do to get my droid 2 rooted again...

thanks

It's amazing what you find when you actually look http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/ ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a D2G and I had the exact same problem. I did an OTA upgrade without un-rooting (I was earlier rooted using z4root). I had a long discussion with Pete Souza, the guy who created 1-Click root. And he agreed to help me out. He did a remote to my computer and rooted my D2G. I am going to try to reproduce all the steps here.

Situation: Was rooted using z4root. Had Superuser and su binary both on my phone but root was not recognized by titanium Backup, SetCPU, etc.

Resolution:

Run Psouza's 1-cick root http://www.psouza4.com/droid3 (ensure u have motorola drivers)

First try the Root, and if that does not work only then continue with the following steps. I got an error after step 3 which said the phone cannot be rooted (or something like that). The first two steps were a success.

Now that the root is not working, run the Temp ADB Root from the same app. In my case even that failed - but Pete said that ignore the failure message.

Now, I need to delete the su and busybox which are leftovers from the earlier root.

type "/system/xbin/su"

This will pop-up a prompt on your phone to allow Superuser access - just click Okay.

The $ sign will change to #

Now type "busybox mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"

now type "cd /system/bin" This is where your su and busybox are.

Type "rm su"
    Type "rm busybox"

After this just exit out of everything and run the 1-click root again. It should work now.

======================
    All credits to psouza www.psouza4.com
    ======================
    I have a D2G and I had the exact same problem. I did an OTA upgrade without un-rooting (I was earlier rooted using z4root). I had a long discussion with Pete Souza, the guy who created 1-Click root. And he agreed to help me out. He did a remote to my computer and rooted my D2G. I am going to try to reproduce all the steps here.

Situation: Was rooted using z4root. Had Superuser and su binary both on my phone but root was not recognized by titanium Backup, SetCPU, etc.

Resolution:

Run Psouza's 1-cick root http://www.psouza4.com/droid3 (ensure u have motorola drivers)

First try the Root, and if that does not work only then continue with the following steps. I got an error after step 3 which said the phone cannot be rooted (or something like that). The first two steps were a success.

Now that the root is not working, run the Temp ADB Root from the same app. In my case even that failed - but Pete said that ignore the failure message.

Now, I need to delete the su and busybox which are leftovers from the earlier root.

type "/system/xbin/su"

The $ sign will change to #

Now type "busybox mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"

now type "cd /system/bin" This is where your su and busybox are.

Type "rm su"
    Type "rm busybox"

======================
    All credits to psouza www.psouza4.com
    ======================

IMO this instruction should be stickied.
    Working for Droid R2-D2

Just got the gingerbread OTA today and thanks to this thread got my root back.

Thanks to drumster's post I used Psouza's 1-cick root and got it to work without any deleting of old su or busybox or anything such. Running the phone in charge only with debugging enabled, I ran the "root my phone" option. I let the program do it's thing, with the exception of when it rebooted my phone. When rebooting it would boot into the bootloader and stop, causing Psouza's program to fail. To fix, as soon as the phone would shut off I would pull the usb and start it back up myself as to force it to start normally. Once the red Motorola logo appeared I replaced the usb and the program ran perfectly.

Then again, Im not sure if anyone else has the issue with the boot loader as it may have been from the original rooting. Hrrmm... can't remember. None the less, thank you to drumster and Psouza.

----Just re-rooted my girl's R2-D2 with the same method without any issue with the bootloader issue, so I guess it was something I did on the first go round. Worked one click with psouza's program, so again thanks to all.