[Q] LCD screen cracked, need to run backup or extract /data from rooted phone

Search This thread

Launchpad McQuack

Apr 30, 2012
Smog Lake ****ty
My S4 LCD screen cracked and went dead. I have root access and can adb in see it as an adb device. I also have titanium backup as an app but I hadn't run a backup in a while. I want to be able to either run a titanium backup from adb and pull the backup to a PC (to do so right now requires unlocking screen which i can't do), or extract the /data directory to a PC. I've already pulled the SIM card and put it in a new phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have some data in certain apps that I want to recover badly.

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
You should be able to pull up a terminal or cmd prompt and simply type something like adb pull storage/sdcard0/Android/data or adb pull /data/data

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Or get an MHL OTG cable and plug your phone to your tv.

Reactions: Launchpad McQuack

Launchpad McQuack

Apr 30, 2012
Smog Lake ****ty
You should be able to pull up a terminal or cmd prompt and simply type something like adb pull storage/sdcard0/Android/data or adb pull /data/data

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice. I can get storage/sdcard0/Android/data but this does not pull the same as an adb pull /data/data would. i was also able to pull /system. adb pull /data is not working for some reason, no thoughts why (i.e., it shows 0 files pulled).

Last edited:
re: Android Commander

My S4 LCD screen cracked and went dead. I have root access and can adb in see it as an adb device. I also have titanium backup as an app but I hadn't run a backup in a while. I want to be able to either run a titanium backup from adb and pull the backup to a PC (to do so right now requires unlocking screen which i can't do), or extract the /data directory to a PC. I've already pulled the SIM card and put it in a new phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have some data in certain apps that I want to recover badly.

Just download and install "Android Commander" which is a windows utility.
Here is the direct download link for it:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B44Nx1hrRITWOVczc0FzZEt6OFk&export=download

It works just like any other windows explorer but it's made for android and
it has all the adb commands built-in so you won't need to type anything at all.

With that you will be able to access ROOT and copy any files and folders to
an empty folder on your desktop.

The screen does not need to be on in the phone, but if you want root files your
phone needs to be rooted.

It's really excellent and is one of a kind android utility, you
won't need to install anything at all in the phone itself.

Good luck!

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I can get storage/sdcard0/Android/data but this does not pull the same as an adb pull /data/data would. i was also able to pull /system. adb pull /data is not working for some reason, no thoughts why (i.e., it shows 0 files pulled).

Sounds like it's not mounted. I would recommend using the too Misterjunky mentioned.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Launchpad McQuack

Apr 30, 2012
Smog Lake ****ty

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion. I installed Android Commander but it is unable to connect. It says "Connected device has status offline and can not be used. Please reboot your device". I did a reboot and it says the same thing. It also has a loading bar that continues to say loading no matter how long I let it run. I don't know if this is because the device connects only as a digital camera (it was the only way to get it to connect to a PC in the beginning) - I can see any image file in windows explorer, including in the root directories. I can see the data/ directories I want in explorer, but I can't see/access the actual files in them via explorer. In explorer, the empty directories are listed under device/Phone/. Is there a way to mount the /Phone directory and then access it, with adb maybe? I've been trying lots of adb protocols and no luck on /data - adb shell ls -R /data gives "opendir failed, Permission denied" and adb root gives "error: device offline". Is there a way to gain permission to this dir (mount?)? Is this because I can't accept the RSA key through the touchscreen? Thanks in advance, I'm a bit clunky with adb.

Last edited:

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
Thank you for the suggestion. I installed Android Commander but it is unable to connect. It says "Connected device has status offline and can not be used. Please reboot your device". I did a reboot and it says the same thing. It also has a loading bar that continues to say loading no matter how long I let it run. I don't know if this is because the device connects only as a digital camera (it was the only way to get it to connect to a PC in the beginning) - I can see any image file in windows explorer, including in the root directories. I can see the data/ directories I want in explorer, but I can't see/access the actual files in them via explorer. In explorer, the empty directories are listed under device/Phone/. Is there a way to mount the /Phone directory and then access it, with adb maybe? I've been trying lots of adb protocols and no luck on /data - adb shell ls -R /data gives "opendir failed, Permission denied" and adb root gives "error: device offline". Is there a way to gain permission to this dir (mount?)? Is this because I can't accept the RSA key through the touchscreen? Thanks in advance, I'm a bit clunky with adb.

Ahhh, yeah, you need to be able to accept the connection. I'd get a cable to hook it up to my TV and transfer over all the important files. This way you can run a full nandroid backup of your phone and restore it afterwards.

Launchpad McQuack

Apr 30, 2012
Smog Lake ****ty
Ahhh, yeah, you need to be able to accept the connection. I'd get a cable to hook it up to my TV and transfer over all the important files. This way you can run a full nandroid backup of your phone and restore it afterwards.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an MHL cable that goes micro-USB to USB (and then I can get USB Male-Male), but how do I hook it up to a TV, run a nandroid, and then pull the nandroid to PC?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

re: Android Commander

Good luck!

Sounds like it's not mounted. I would recommend using the too Misterjunky mentioned.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk