[Official] Note 4 Verizon Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
Enjoy. Don't forget to thank @beaups too, he discovered the eMMC backdoor and exploited it!

UPDATE: [8/2/16] I have recompiled the binary to fix issues with older ROMs like 4.4. This should fix all the issues with "This is for samsung device only" errors.

THIS WILL NOT WORK ON GALAXY S3/GALAXY S4/GALAXY S6|e/Galaxy S7|e. It will NOT work on AT&T

More info on doing this: here

DON'T UPDATE YOUR BOOTLOADER TO ANYTHING AFTER THE LATEST BUILD AS OF 4/19/16

Disclosure: I do not own a Note 4. The exploit happened to be applicable to the Note 4, and we compiled it for your devices rather than not release it at all. This seems like a reasonable and friendly thing to do for the community. I can't help you root or teach you how to use ADB. It's important you have the ability to do these things or research them a bit before blindly using this. I am very familiar with Samsung however, and time permitting, will do my best to help anyone having issues.

You should not run this if you don't understand it. For those who are capable but need some help go here

ROOT REQUIRED, we aren't responsible for anything you do with this.
You NEED a MicroSD, and it WILL be formatted during this process.

YOU MUST DISABLE REACTIVATION LOCK OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES!!!!!!!!!
You can download the eMMC brick bug check app on the Play Store to verify your CID starts with 15. If it does, you are good. If not, it will not work.

UPDATE: Anyone having issues with the "this is for samsung devices only error, please the fix attached to this post

Download

The code below is NOT a script, you must enter the commands manually.
First you must unzip the file.
Code:
adb push unlock_n4 /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
su
cd /data/local/tmp/
chmod 777 unlock_n4
chown root.root unlock_n4
./unlock_n4
Allow device to reboot. After full reboot, power down and pull battery. May need to run it twice if it doesn't work after the battery pull.

Paypal: attestation28@gmail.com [COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY AND OPTIONAL]

Last edited:

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
okay then can you please provide step by step instructions on how to do this? I can manage to temp root my device

once you are comfortable with adb, the instructions in OP are a walk in the park. Read the other thread I linked to and try some adb commands like

adb reboot bootloader

it's easy , just give it a try first.

DrSeussFreak

Enjoy. Don't forget to thank @beaups too

Download

Code:
adb push samsung_unlock_n4-2 /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
su
cd /data/local/tmp/
chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-2
chown root.root samsung_unlock_n4-2
./samsung_unlock_n4-2
Allow device to reboot. After full reboot, power down and pull battery. May need to run it twice if it doesn't work after the battery pull.

How does one obtain root for this though?

Reactions: PapaDocta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enjoy. Don't forget to thank @beaups too, he discovered the eMMC backdoor and exploited it!

UPDATE: [8/2/16] I have recompiled the binary to fix issues with older ROMs like 4.4. This should fix all the issues with "This is for samsung device only" errors.

THIS WILL NOT WORK ON GALAXY S3/GALAXY S4/GALAXY S6|e/Galaxy S7|e. It will NOT work on AT&T

More info on doing this: here

DON'T UPDATE YOUR BOOTLOADER TO ANYTHING AFTER THE LATEST BUILD AS OF 4/19/16

Disclosure: I do not own a Note 4. The exploit happened to be applicable to the Note 4, and we compiled it for your devices rather than not release it at all. This seems like a reasonable and friendly thing to do for the community. I can't help you root or teach you how to use ADB. It's important you have the ability to do these things or research them a bit before blindly using this. I am very familiar with Samsung however, and time permitting, will do my best to help anyone having issues.

You should not run this if you don't understand it. For those who are capable but need some help go here

YOU MUST DISABLE REACTIVATION LOCK OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES!!!!!!!!!
    You can download the eMMC brick bug check app on the Play Store to verify your CID starts with 15. If it does, you are good. If not, it will not work.

UPDATE: Anyone having issues with the "this is for samsung devices only error, please the fix attached to this post

Download

The code below is NOT a script, you must enter the commands manually.
    First you must unzip the file.
    Code:
    adb push unlock_n4 /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local/tmp/
    chmod 777 unlock_n4
    chown root.root unlock_n4
    ./unlock_n4

Revised full instructions with links.

Download and install Kingroot 4.8.5 : Google it on your device
    Download Root Checker from play store
    Install ADB minimal onto a Windows PC : From here
    Download and install drivers for N4 : From here
    Download TWRP: From here
    Download Odin 3.09 use google to find it
    Download SuperSU.zip: From here
    Download samsung_unlock_n4-fix.zip: From here

Setup your environment.
    A. Install the drivers and Minimal ADB on your Windows PC
    B. Extract samsung_unlock_n4-fix.zip and place file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\

On your device:
    1. Make sure developer options and USB debugging is enabled on your device. Disable Reactivation lock. Also allow unknown sources.
    2. Install Kingroot 4.8.5 (phone will reboot)
    3. Verify root with root checker
    4. Run the commands in the OP from the minimal ADB command prompt window

adb push samsung_unlock_n4-fix /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local/tmp/
    chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-fix
    chown root.root samsung_unlock_n4-fix
    ./samsung_unlock_n4-fix

5. Wait for phone to reboot. Shut down and battery pull.
    6. Repeat steps 2 through 4. WAIT for phone to restart. Pull battery and SDCARD
    7. Start phone in download mode (volume down, home and power) and check for Mode: Developer. If you have reached this point you are good.
    8. Flash TWRP 2.8.5 via Odin 3.09 (put file in the AP slot)
    9. Boot the device up, and copy SuperSU to internal storage.
    10. Flash supersu from TWRP (reboot phone and enter recovery mode. hold power, vol up and home)

Enjoy root.

Follow up
    Format your SDCARD on your computer before you put it back in your device. This will correct the size issues and any bootlooping you may experience.

I did not create this method, only grouped together and cleaned up the instructions. Thanks again to all the Developers hard work.
    The instruction are vague at best. A file to download with no instruction.

Step 1.
    Step 2.
    Step 3.

I see the PayPal link but first things first.

I don't seem to be the only one that is confused.
    Download and install Kingroot 4.8.5
    Download Root Checker from play store
    Install ADB minimal onto a Windows PC
    Download and install drivers for N4
    Download TWRP: https://dl.twrp.me/trltevzw/
    Download Odin

Install Kingroot 4.8.5 (phone will reboot)
    Verify root with root checker

Run the commands in the OP from the minimal ADB command prompt window

Wait for phone to reboot.

Re run the each command in the OP and WAIT for phone to restart.

Pull battery and SDCARD. Leave the sdcard out.

Start phone in download mode (volume down, home and power) and check for Mode: Developer. If you have reached this point you are good.

Flash TWRP 2.8.5 via Odin (put file in the AP slot)

Flash supersu from TWRP (reboot phone and enter recovery mode. hold power, vol up and home)

Enjoy root.
    Since you guys are literally turning your device into mine (that's my aboot and CID from my DevEd you guys are using), I'll share a few insights I've found about how to get and preserve root on Samsung Android 5.1.1 builds.

I run my DevEd with stock Touchwiz 5.1.1 BPA1, rooted with TWRP. It took me some trial and error to make this work, because Touchwiz (and by that I mean Knox) gets mad if it notices you have root access.

(1) Install TWRP

(2) Use TWRP to flash SuperSU from the zip, you'll give yourself bootloops if you don't flash the zip

(3) Use TWRP to flash a custom kernel which is SEAndroid Permissive, on my device I use Emotion Kernel, you'll give yourself bootloops if you attempt to boot up with the stock Samsung kernel which is SEAndroid Enforcing
    http://xdaforums.com/note-4/orig-development/tw-kernel-emotroid-team-t2990557
    I use the SM-N910P 5.1.1 kernel, this is the one for Sprint Note 4s but it works fine on SM-N910V

(4) Boot device, Knox will throw a bunch of errors

(5) Go into Settings, Applications, Application Manager, All then disable all the Knox packages
    If you can't see the Knox packages because Samsung hid them from the list, use Titanium Backup to Freeze all the Knox components
    I do not advise irreversibly uninstalling them because you can break important functions of the Touchwiz framework!

(6) Enjoy root!

NOTE: You *will* trip Knox by doing this conversion from retail to DevEd. There is no way to unlock the bootloader using this method without tripping Knox, because you are turning your device into mine and my device tripped it's Knox a long time ago now lol. The Note 4 is almost 3 years old people, your warranty is long gone anyways so just do it!
    please post a video on how to do this because I don't know squat about adb. I have the Verizon note 4 with unlimited data. I know ill have to back up all of my data to my pc but I haven't even used the temp root and don't know how to do that either

right to learn adb bro ...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2266638