[APP] BLN control - the official BLN settings app by neldar

Search This thread

Rebel2k

May 19, 2007
Bug in the last version

EDIT: after the night, I woke up leds were on. I tested many things since then and everything seems to work fine now. Sorry for the useless post, I don't know what happened after the update...

Hi neldar and thank you for this great app. However since the last update many things are not working anymore...

In the version 0.10.24 of BLN Control Pro the Blinking feature is broken and SMS notifications with BLN too (whatever I choose I can't turn the led on anymore ; for test within the app or with SMS... Nothing is working!).
I am using a Samsung galaxy S phone with FuguMod 4.0 Ultra #371 kernel and Darky 10.1 rom (JVH 2.3.3).
(Last version 0.10.22 of BLN Control Pro was working fine.)

Just for your information: I restarted the phone to check if it could help and it doesn't. A few minutes ago, just before the upgrade, everything was working perfectly so there is absolutely no doubt about the fact that the last update is the culprit (and maybe it would help you to know that now if I want to do a test led within the app, when I turn off the screen, nothing happens AND the notification of BLN is not anymore in the notify bar when I turn on the screen). Hope you will solve it soon and the bug report is detailed enough. I am ready to do some test and debug if you need.

Last edited:

madd0g

May 8, 2010
You're right, im quite sure it happens because the stock SMS app turns on the screen when SMS is received. Already asked the modders in the development thread, if that's possible :] Thanks.

[edit] But on the other hand, when there's a missed call, the screen is also on. How do you manage to enable the bln then ? :]

Last edited:

Rebel2k

May 19, 2007
For SMS, it is not a matter of screen to my mind, if you don't touch anything when the screen turns off notify led should work after (at least that's the case for me).

Last edited:

Brynn85

Sep 23, 2010
Have a pretty serious issue :-/

I last flashed my phone with a custom Gingerbread rom, and at the time, bln wasn't supported, but I had restored the BLN app from the market anyhow before being aware of that. A little bit ago, I opened up BLN from my app drawer, and a notification popped up that I didn't have the kernel needed, but that my phone was supported. It redirected me here to a thread on xda to download/flash the kernel. The post said if I have a rooted phone, I could use a new app in the market to flash a zip or tar file I had chosen. I chose the zip file listed in that post, and went to flash it with the SG flasher app. It went thru it, then my phone froze up. Now it's just constantly rebooting... It gets to my homescreen and shows "scanning media files," etc, but then just reboots and does it all over. :(

I would name the exact thread/post and such, but I had it open on my phone and am having trouble locating it again here on the computer, and obviously can't open it on my phone now :-/

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Ah, the issue is only with the stock SMS app, GO SMS has an option to turn off the screen, so it works there. But I like the stock one :]

dancsi44

Jan 21, 2011
LED is always on after checking the missed calls

I recieve a missed call, LED is on, which is great. But when i check the missed calls, and turn off the screen again, the LED is still ON. SMS / GMAIL BLN is OK.

SGS with Darkys rom 10.1EE on JVH.

Thanks for advice.

NunxPT

Jul 18, 2010
Lisbon
www.cubocreation.net
I'm with XWJVH custom rom + semaphore kernel + BLN pro app and it works for me on all scenarios (sms with stock app, mail, missed calls).

I had to use this services.jar for BLN to work with sms. Give it a try, install via CWM.

Attachments

• Services_BLN.zip
    940.8 KB · Views: 262

dancsi44

Jan 21, 2011
I'm with XWJVH custom rom + semaphore kernel + BLN pro app and it works for me on all scenarios (sms with stock app, mail, missed calls).

I had to use this services.jar for BLN to work with sms. Give it a try, install via CWM.

Thanks, but not worked for me. LED is still on after checking missed calls.

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
For BLN Control pro, is there a way to add apps to "BLN for stock apps"? All I have listed is "call notification" and I'd like to add things like Tapatalk, Google Voice, etc.

zs0mby

Jan 22, 2011
Targu Mures
I recieve a missed call, LED is on, which is great. But when i check the missed calls, and turn off the screen again, the LED is still ON. SMS / GMAIL BLN is OK.

SGS with Darkys rom 10.1EE on JVH.

Thanks for advice.
same here, using Symply GS II rom with Semaphore Kernel JVP, this problem only occured when I updated to the latest BLN control Pro

Sonic7

Jun 9, 2010
Was the BLN added to the Kernel by Samsung or by a DEV ? Im asking because I would like to see the BLN on SGS 2 :D

Reactions: boki4k

ED8

Jun 17, 2011
BLN pro will work for JVP version (gingerbread 2.3.4 ) ? :confused:

For all having trouble with JVP, i compiled a patched services.jar. It contains both liblights and services.jar, to have BLN working with any kernel supporting it on JVP. To be installed from CWM recovery.

Tried on Juwe's 5.0 working with stock sms, calls, mail, etc.

Hope it helps!

Thanks to neldar for his great job.
Thanks to Virnik for his update package & script.

Attachments

• i9000_JVP_BLN_v3.zip
    968.3 KB · Views: 1,330
Last edited:

rh7

Jun 17, 2011
Could you please report what happens if you try one of the follwing?

1. Turn screen on/off

2. trigger the test notification and then cancel it immediately

Same Problem here. After missing calls, LEDs still on after missing calls. No blinking :( ... After sms no notification.
Using Gingerbread 2.3.3 JVI/JVO.
Root with CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVP-v3.7-CWM3RFS.tar and then using i9000_jvh_BacklightNotification_v3.0.1_update.zip

Test notification LED is still on too, no blinking

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
How do you enable notification for Android apps besides GMail, Messaging and Missed Calls?

In that specific app, of course.
Where else do you think should such an option be located?

Same Problem here. After missing calls, LEDs still on after missing calls. No blinking :( ... After sms no notification.
Using Gingerbread 2.3.3 JVI/JVO.
Root with CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVP-v3.7-CWM3RFS.tar and then using i9000_jvh_BacklightNotification_v3.0.1_update.zip

Test notification LED is still on too, no blinking

Please update to at least v0.10.26 and check the "Legacy led notification"-option.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app does only work, if you have a kernel with BacklightNotification (bln) mod on your phone installed.

Go and get BLN for Samsung i9000 Eclair, Froyo or Gingerbread or any other kernel/rom with BacklightNotification support.
    Or visit this page to view a list with supported phones by BLN.

What is the BLN mod?
    The BLN mod turns the touchkey backlights into a notification led.
    It enables the notification led api for any android application that supports notifications by led.
    If you dont have the BLN mod installed, the app provides you instructions how to install the BLN mod.

What does this app?
    This application gives you control over the BacklightNotification (bln) mod settings on your phone.

What features does the Free version have?
    • enable/disable BacklightNotification function (without uninstalling bln)
    • test BacklightNotification
    • update notification (notifies you about new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)

Additional features in the Pro version:
    • widget
    • scheduler (disable BLN at night, ...)
    • locale plug-in(s) for: bln status, blinking, scheduler, static led, notification led
    • adjustable timeout of static led notification
    • blinking**:
      • adjustable on/off led period
      • adjustable overall blinking duration (5-60 minutes or unlimited)
      • select led status after blinking ends(on/off)
      • stop blinking if battery is below a selectable % level
    • adds led notifications for:
      • missed calls

** Please notice that blinking consumes more energy than static backlight!

Download the app from market:
    Free | Pro
    attachment.php

The price for the Pro version is 0.99€ (~ 1.99 US$).
    The Pro version is available at the android market (creditcard) and at androidpit (paypal, clickandbuy).

If you find an issue, please report it here in the thread.

Which features will be added to future Pro versions?
    • suggest me a feature

What permissions are used for which features?
    • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: to activate BLN at boot and start the services
    • INTERNET: for update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases - you can disable the notification in the update settings) and for the compatibility check (the app receive instructions for you, if the app detects that something is wrong with the BLN setup)
    • READ_PHONE_STATE: to detect if an incoming call could become a missed call
    • WAKE_LOCK: services & schedule (reactivating interrupted led notifications, froyo only)

Translations already done:
    • Dutch
    • French
    • German
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Russian
    • Spanish
    • Swedish

The initial translations into Dutch, French, Russian and Spanish have been realized at crowdin.net with the help of adequacy, andifds, elroy911, HERVEG, HTCDevil, Jaax, jbnitro, ravexx, Rebel2k and Shaymelmed. Thank you.
    The translations into Japanese, Korean and Swedish have been realized at icanlocalize.com.

Translations pending:
    • Chinese (Simplified) - suspended, no sufficient Chinese market service
    • Chinese (Traditional) - see above
    • Czech
    • Italian
    • Polish

Kernel-devs / rom cookers: Please do only integrate the FREE version of this app into your releases.
    BLN pro will work for JVP version (gingerbread 2.3.4 ) ? :confused:

For all having trouble with JVP, i compiled a patched services.jar. It contains both liblights and services.jar, to have BLN working with any kernel supporting it on JVP. To be installed from CWM recovery.

Tried on Juwe's 5.0 working with stock sms, calls, mail, etc.

Hope it helps!

Thanks to neldar for his great job.
    Thanks to Virnik for his update package & script.
    FAQ:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • touchwiz sms: notification is only possible if you use another sms app (e.g. Go SMS) or if you use a patched sms app or a patched services.jar
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

The led notification is enabled in app xyz, but it still dont work, why?
    This only a problem of Android >= 2.3. Led notifications in Android >= 2.3 do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen becomes powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones. This behavior is a design decision of the asop team and they think this is not important enough to be mentioned in the Android SDK documentation. The BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale/tasker plug-in & test notification. Any other apps may have also a option to disable the screen before these apps try to trigger led notifications (e.g. Go SMS).

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Measurements were made on a i9000 (eclair) with enabled flight mode.

The sgs2 does currently (6th august 2011) rely on a kernel wakelock, that does affect the battery more than on other phones.
    This is an exception from the general bln behavior and may hopefully change in future.

How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is only possible on some phones, most hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off. Maybe I add these capability in the future.

The blinking or the missed call notification of the pro app are not reliably working, what is wrong?
    The lowmemorykiller of your phone is configured with too aggressive settings, thereby the app services are killed and not restarted.
    Either you use less aggressive settings or you have to live with the fact that your settings make things unreliable.
    Btw, it is better to have less free ram in android. A lot of free ram on a android device indicates that it is inefficiently working.
    Just wonderign, is there going to be support for normal notifcations, like third party apps etc

No, if you are wondering about the reason, then you might want to understand the functional principle of bln by looking at the following "art":

|android application| --> |notification service| --> |bln liblights| --> |bln driver| --> |touchkey leds|

legend:
    --> : x calls y (unidirectional)
    android application: any android application
    notification service: public api, part of the Android SDK
    liblights: conjunction between the android OS and the Linux kernel
    bln driver: provides interface to control the touchkey led hardware
    touchkey leds: light emitting diodes behind the touchkeys...

The bln mod (blue parts) just adds the (modified) liblights and the bln driver in that chain, these components are missing in the original stock ROM from Samsung.
    Any android application that should trigger the leds just have to implement the call (the red arrow) of the functions of the notification service .

And the gentle reader may now notice that the control app is missing in that flowchart. Well, the control app consists of 2 parts, one part actually accesses the bln driver to adjust some settings. The second part detects missed calls and acts like any other android application to issue a (hidden) notification with the led flag.

PS: The flowchart includes only the necessary components and conjunctions between the application and the leds. There are a few more components involved, but you don't need to know them all.
    On the AT&T GS2, I am getting constant wakelocks for wlProximityEvents, and I do not even have the new Proximity feature enabled.

I just unplugged the charger 5 minutes ago, I have no notifications, and it's been in constant wakelock since then. (See the screen shot).

Since the last update, my battery life has been very bad and deep sleep has gone down significantly.

UPDATE: Attached is my wakelocks.txt file.

Thank you for the informations about the wakelock, these infos helped me to resolve the problem.
    An update is now available at the market. I want to apologize to those who may have had problems because of this issue.