[APP][4.1+][ROOT][1.0.15] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in music players apps

Search This thread

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
GMusicFS exposes cloud Google Music as a FUSE filesystem on rooted devices

EDIT 09/10/2015: v1.0.15 released, fixed Google Music issues
EDIT 02/20/2015: v1.0.14 released, Lollipop compatible, fixed Google Music issues
EDIT 03/03/2014: v1.0.12+ has no restrictions anymore (100% free). It is not available anymore on Google Play and you can download the APK below instead.

This app is provided "as is" and may not be working properly with some ROMs and/or kernels. It is unsupported and not actively developed.

This app doesn't work with all kernels which explains reboots on some devices.
This app does tricky and hacky things that may not work well on all devices or unreliably.
It's even a miracle that it sort of works on current Android.

You can use it if it works on your device and find it useful, but most people should use the official Google Music app instead.

There will be no bug fixes as I stopped entirely developping it.
Maybe there will be an update if the next Android version breaks it again and there's an easy fix, but that's all you can expect at this point.

Download APK v1.0.15
Documentation
Short youtube video

The goal is to bring Google Music streaming support to most third party music players like Poweramp, PlayerPro, n7player and many more.
From the point of view of these apps, Google Music tracks will look like regular files that can be played.
I you ever wanted to play Google Music with something else than the Google Music app, that should fit the bill.

Make sure to read the Help section within the app as it contains very important usage info (especially on Android 4.2+) and music player specific initial setup.

Requirements

• a rooted device running Android 4.1+ on ARM, or x86 (untested) CPU. Root is necessary for mounting the filesystem
  • A kernel supporting FUSE filesystems (should be the case of all 4.0+ kernel)
  • SuperSU or Superuser
  • Some music uploaded to the Google Music service
  • A compatible third party music player. Tested working with Poweramp, Winamp, PlayerPro, n7player. Should work with most players using the Android MediaPlayer API or ffmpeg. Doesn't work with Deadbeef and XenoAmp.

Recording a log file

Here's how to setup logging, to troubleshoot issues.
Do not post log files on the forum or on the web as they contain your Google account name.

• start GMusicFS
  • in the Settings tab, enable Logging (select "App" as the logging mode, unless being instructed otherwise), then click the "Exit" button to exit the app
  • restart the app and operate the app until the error appear
  • exit the app
  • send me (bubbleguuum at free.fr) the log file located on your SD Card as file Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.gmusicfs/logs/log.txt

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 36,660
  • pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 22,970
  • settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 21,806
Last edited:

h0l

Jun 16, 2011
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Re: [APP][4.0+][ROOT][BETA] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in most music players a

It looks very promising, but does not seem to work on my sensation running CM 10.1 (see screenshot)

uzehu7um.jpg

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Edit: fixed some ugly formating caused by Tapatalk

Last edited:

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
@hobbypunk:

Thanks for the report. I'll install CM 10.1 on one of my device to see how it goes. I'm not actually that surprised that mounting is not working on some ROMs. For now, I only tested on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 running stock rooted ROM as well as my old SGS with CM10 (4.1.2).

Reactions: Wh1t3Rose

Quistnix

Oct 20, 2009
Re: [APP][4.0+][ROOT][BETA] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in most music players a

Great app, I love finally having my Google music in player pro. It's a bit of a drain on battery and ram and needs a bit more buffering, but it's great for a beta!

R: [APP][4.0+][ROOT][BETA] GMusicFS: play cloud Google Music in most music players ap

It looks very promising, but does not seem to work on my sensation running CM 10.1
uzehu7um.jpg
(see screenshot)

Same here on Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 running Cm10.1

Sent from my N8000 using Tapatalk HD

cdkane

Apr 5, 2012
Failed to create folder

The app gets to about the 10th album and says it is unable to create the folder on the SD card. Have tried multiple times but it always stops. Have created the named folder myself but still get the same error. On CM10.1 on Xperia ARC.

Keep up the good work though this is exactly what I am after. Get it all working and name your price :)

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
@TheMorpheus, @hobbypunk:

I could somewhat reproduce this "permission denied" error. It seems to happen if the SuperSU popup asking for root is not clicked before the countdown reach 0. It is not related to a specific ROM.

There are 2 such popups displayed the very first time the app is started:

- the first one is displayed immediately on app start and ask permission for GMusicFS
- the second popup is displayed the first time the filesystem is mounted (which can happen way later, after initial sync) and ask permission for "ADB shell"

To force these 2 popups to reappear can you do this and report if it fixes the problem:

- exit GMusicFS if it is started (cross button on top)
- launch the SuperSU app and remove both GMusicFS and "ADB shell" from the apps list (long-click on app and "Forget").
- Restart GMusicFS. It will show the first popup (on app start) and the second permission popup (during mounting). Answer "Grant" to both before the countdown reach 0.

Last edited:

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
The app gets to about the 10th album and says it is unable to create the folder on the SD card. Have tried multiple times but it always stops. Have created the named folder myself but still get the same error. On CM10.1 on Xperia ARC.

Keep up the good work though this is exactly what I am after. Get it all working and name your price :)

Thank you for the report. Can you record and send me a log file (bubbleguuum at free.fr):

- start GMusicFS
- in the Settings tab, enable Logging (select "App" as the loggin mode), then click the "Exit" button to exit the app
- restart the app and operate the app until the error appear
- exit the app
- send me the log file located on your SD Card as file Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.gmusicfs/logs/log.txt

Thanks!

Reactions: Luk_Optimus

Nitroz

Jan 13, 2011
Wakefield
nitroz.org
@TheMorpheus, @hobbypunk:

I could somewhat reproduce this "permission denied" error. It seems to happen if the SuperSU popup asking for root is not clicked before the countdown reach 0. It is not related to a specific ROM.

There are 2 such popups displayed the very first time the app is started:

- the first one is displayed immediately on app start and ask permission for GMusicFS
- the second popup is displayed the first time the filesystem is mounted (which can happen way later, after initial sync) and ask permission for "ADB shell"

To force these 2 popups to reappear can you do this and report if it fixes the problem:

- exit GMusicFS if it is started (cross button on top)
- launch the SuperSU app and remove both GMusicFS and "ADB shell" from the apps list (long-click on app and "Forget").
- Restart GMusicFS. It will show the first popup (on app start) and the second permission popup (during mounting). Answer "Grant" to both before the countdown reach 0.

I still can't see a second popup asking for access to ADB shell, synced well over 10 minutes ago. Exited app, got SuperSU to forget app, did it again, first popup appeared straight away, granted it, but still no second popup.

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
I still can't see a second popup asking for access to ADB shell, synced well over 10 minutes ago. Exited app, got SuperSU to forget app, did it again, first popup appeared straight away, granted it, but still no second popup.

In the SuperSU apps list, is there an entry titled "ADB shell" ?
Btw make sure to update to the latest version of SuperSU, just in case.

Audioboxer

Aug 24, 2010
Wish you all the best with this project. With an 8GB Nexus 4 Google Music is a must for me, but sadly the official app pales in comparison to 3rd party players.

edit: I set it to 50 songs to test, works great. Used Noozy audio player.

Last edited:

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
nothing in the apps list for 'ADB Shell' just the app name. Also updated to latest SU, made no difference, still have mount errors.

I think I've found the cause of SuperSU not asking for "adb shell" permission: on CyanogenMod only, there is a specific setting that must be enabled to allow root adb execution.

Go into the Settings of the phone. In the "System" section, if you do not have the "Developer options" menu entry, you must enable it.
To enable it, go into the "About phone" menu and click on "Build number" 7 times.
Then, in Settings > Developer options, change "Root access" to "Apps and ADB" (I think the default is just "Apps").
Restart GMusicFS (no need to sync again) and it should ask for permission (will do it only once) when mounting.

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
Wow thank you for this great app. Works great with Power Amp. I searched for a way to see only the music that is available on my google account and exclude the music that is on my device and haven`t found a way to do so until now. Thanks again for this great app :)

The only "problem" I have right now is that I have over 100 album folders and it would be great if I wouldn`t see those 100 folders but just the songs that are in those folders. Is this possible?

Edit:

Ok found out how to do it on Power Amp. just press on the little arrow which is right from the "Albums" folder and then hit "Enqueue" and it will transfer all the songs into your library under Queue.

Last edited:

h0l

Jun 16, 2011
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro

I think I've found the cause of SuperSU not asking for "adb shell" permission: on CyanogenMod only, there is a specific setting that must be enabled to allow root adb execution.

Go into the Settings of the phone. In the "System" section, if you do not have the "Developer options" menu entry, you must enable it.
To enable it, go into the "About phone" menu and click on "Build number" 7 times.
Then, in Settings > Developer options, change "Root access" to "Apps and ADB" (I think the default is just "Apps").
Restart GMusicFS (no need to sync again) and it should ask for permission (will do it only once) when mounting.

Perfect. Working on cm10.1 using poweramp.

NegativeOne

Jul 21, 2010
Works well, mostly, until you get a spot of bad reception, then it starts skipping a lot. I suppose you haven't implemented buffering yet?

Also, planning on finding a way around having to have the notification and remount button? perhaps a list of watched apps to automatically remount?

cdkane

Apr 5, 2012
Logcat emailed as requested. Hopefully it helps and I can start using this awesome app soon!

eleazar123

Jan 16, 2007
ohio
This is awesome! I got it to work on my DNA running Viper 1.1.3.

It sync'd through the letter D, but then error'd saying "...mp3: open failed: ENAMETOOLONG (File name too long)".

Working great on artists A-D though. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GMusicFS exposes cloud Google Music as a FUSE filesystem on rooted devices

EDIT 09/10/2015: v1.0.15 released, fixed Google Music issues
    EDIT 02/20/2015: v1.0.14 released, Lollipop compatible, fixed Google Music issues
    EDIT 03/03/2014: v1.0.12+ has no restrictions anymore (100% free). It is not available anymore on Google Play and you can download the APK below instead.

This app is provided "as is" and may not be working properly with some ROMs and/or kernels. It is unsupported and not actively developed.

This app doesn't work with all kernels which explains reboots on some devices.
    This app does tricky and hacky things that may not work well on all devices or unreliably.
    It's even a miracle that it sort of works on current Android.

You can use it if it works on your device and find it useful, but most people should use the official Google Music app instead.

There will be no bug fixes as I stopped entirely developping it.
    Maybe there will be an update if the next Android version breaks it again and there's an easy fix, but that's all you can expect at this point.

Download APK v1.0.15
    Documentation
    Short youtube video

The goal is to bring Google Music streaming support to most third party music players like Poweramp, PlayerPro, n7player and many more.
    From the point of view of these apps, Google Music tracks will look like regular files that can be played.
    I you ever wanted to play Google Music with something else than the Google Music app, that should fit the bill.

Make sure to read the Help section within the app as it contains very important usage info (especially on Android 4.2+) and music player specific initial setup.

Requirements

• a rooted device running Android 4.1+ on ARM, or x86 (untested) CPU. Root is necessary for mounting the filesystem
    • A kernel supporting FUSE filesystems (should be the case of all 4.0+ kernel)
    • SuperSU or Superuser
    • Some music uploaded to the Google Music service
    • A compatible third party music player. Tested working with Poweramp, Winamp, PlayerPro, n7player. Should work with most players using the Android MediaPlayer API or ffmpeg. Doesn't work with Deadbeef and XenoAmp.

Recording a log file

Here's how to setup logging, to troubleshoot issues.
    Do not post log files on the forum or on the web as they contain your Google account name.

• start GMusicFS
    • in the Settings tab, enable Logging (select "App" as the logging mode, unless being instructed otherwise), then click the "Exit" button to exit the app
    • restart the app and operate the app until the error appear
    • exit the app
    • send me (bubbleguuum at free.fr) the log file located on your SD Card as file Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.gmusicfs/logs/log.txt
    GmusicFS 0.9.4 is available (see first post for download link). It will expire on May 7th.

As I had not too much time to work on it, it mostly only adds playlist syncing.
    Hopefully I can resume work on it soon and next beta will bring the much needed buffering.

I also need to investigate possible battery drain, which could happen if a media player doesn't close
    a file after playback stops (in that case a WiFi lock is held, draining battery).
    Normally most players should close files but if you observe battery drain, let me know what player you use.

• playlist syncing
    • disabled request flood protection as it can cause problems
    • initial filesystem native executable read calibration is done only once and stored in prefs instead of done on each run
    • propose to download new version on beta expiration

Playlist syncing notes

• Synced playlists are automatically appended [gfs] to their name so they can be distinguished from local playlists in music players
    • the Sync button now proposes to Sync albums or playlists or both. Syncing playlists only is valid if albums were synced first.
      During playlist sync, if some tracks are missing it will state so and propose to do a full sync (Albums + playlists)
    • syncing playlists with Settings > Track limit not set to 0 may result in incomplete playlists, as playlist tracks will refer to missing files
    • the Clean button removes playlist entries from the Android media database
    GMusicFS 0.9.6 is available (first post to download), bringing caching to SD card (by pinning albums) and stream buffering.

Make sure to read the updated help on pinning albums and buffering, for important info.

Please test in various conditions (in particular, streaming from mobile networks) and report issues.
    Note that buffering will not magically fix unreliable mobile networks for which the connection drops all the time. It will help though
    if the bandwidth is not consistent and fluctuating, as long as the connection remains and the average bandwidth is sufficient.

Changelog 0.9.6

• configurable buffering during streaming
    • album pinning to cache tracks to local storage
    • ability to auto-remount only selected apps (Settings > Selected music apps)
    • the notification shows current playing track and its status (streaming, cached file, caching, buffer fill)
    • fixed small audio stutter sometimes at beginning of tracks with n7player
    • remove generated adb keys in some case of mount failure. might help to mount successfully afterwards
    • fixed a few rare crashes
    New beta, with many fixes and some new features (see first post of this topic for download):

Changelog 0.9.3 (March 18th 2013)

• added ability to auto-remount on music player process start, on Android 4.2+ (Settings > Auto-remount). Enabled by default
    • added settings to optionally append a custom string to album and/or track titles, to allow to differentiate GMusicFS tracks from other local tracks
    • added request flood protection to prevent Google Music daily quota to be triggered in case of unexpected problem or bug
    • fixed super slow scan on some HTC devices (thanks JWhetstone02)
    • fixed failure to start http server on some ROMs (thanks lairdchris)
    • fixed failure to kill native filesystem process on some ROMs (thanks lairdchris)
    • fixed mount issues on some ROMs
    • more descriptive error messages
    • check if CPU architecture is ARM
    • fixed rare crashes
    GMusicFS 0.9.5 is available (see first post to download).

This is a small but important upgrade fixing 2 battery drain issues.
    It also allows to access Google Music playlists in players able to read m3u files but not able to access playlists stored in the Android database (ex: MortPlayer).

The first time this version is launched on Android 4.2+, it will perform a one time upgrade of GMusicFS file paths in the Android music database (file paths were starting with /storage/emulated/legacy instead of the more correct /storage/emulated/0). It should take a few seconds depending on the number of items.

Thanks to everyone who reported issues.

• added setting to generate m3u playlist files for accessing synced playlists in music players that support reading m3u files but not Android media database playlists (Settings > Generate m3u playlists)
    • fixed wake lock preventing deep sleep on some devices (Nexus 4 in particular), causing battery drain
    • fixed WiFi lock sometimes not released after music player playback, causing battery drain
    • fixed WiFi lock lost on seeking
    • fixed synced playlists appearing as empty in some music players (for example, Rocket Player)
    • expires on May 27th