Unlocked Hero only available in white!

Search This thread

knnelg

Jan 25, 2007
As all the pre order Hero's I've seen so far, are white, I thought I'd emails some suppliers about unlocked black ones.

The replies I'm receiving seem to indicate the unlocked sim-free Hero's will only be available in white (UK).

Why do they do they come up with these crazy restrictions? Do they deliberately try to limit their sales?

I despair sometimes :(

Anyone seen unlocked Black versions advertised?

Regards,

Glenn

nicelad_uk

Sep 11, 2007
Sunny Yorkshire
Handtec.co.uk do it in brown, but their release date is 3rd Quarter 2009, not the July date so not sure if they are going to release on the same date or a bit later on...

knnelg

Jan 25, 2007
nicelad_uk, thank's for that. Looks promising. Technicaly, 3rd quarter has already arrived, so maybe it's comming close to the 21st being touted by most retailers. This is the only store I've seen with a sim-free other than white. I'll contact Handtec for clarification.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Glenn

nicelad_uk

Sep 11, 2007
Sunny Yorkshire
nicelad_uk, thank's for that. Looks promising. Technicaly, 3rd quarter has already arrived, so maybe it's comming close to the 21st being touted by most retailers. This is the only store I've seen with a sim-free other than white. I'll contact Handtec for clarification.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Glenn

Cool, let us know, was going to try them myself but I'll leave it with you.

knnelg

Jan 25, 2007
Well, this is the reply from handtec (despite having a brown version on their website....

=============================
Thank you for your email

HTC will be launching the White version only in the UK, but the date has moved again to end of July/Early August

The Brown version or Black graphite could come out but go to europe or to a network - orange,O2 etc

Kind Regards
Customer Services
Handtec
===============================

josifbg

Aug 21, 2008
www.all4android.com
HI Guys,
I`ve ordered my Hero from Handtec.co.uk 2 weeks ago and had a chance to speak personaly with the Sales Manager. I`ve order a brown edition and the sales manager confurmed that there is confirmation for delivery date which is 21.07.2009.
Here is a copy of our Skype conversation:

[13.7.2009 г. 19:39:56] Ciki says: is there any changes of the official delivery date?
[13.7.2009 г. 19:40:12] Ciki says: as i remember it was 21.07
[13.7.2009 г. 19:40:21] Ciki says: any changes so far?
[13.7.2009 г. 19:41:08] ********** says: no
[13.7.2009 г. 19:41:11] ********** says: this date is confirmed
[13.7.2009 г. 19:41:18] ********** says: i will have stock on this date

knnelg

Jan 25, 2007
Hi josifbg,

Please let us know if this turns up.

As you can see from my previous post, I'm being told that the brown version will not be available unlocked (I've also had a similar response from HTC direct).

So i'll be very interested to see if you do receive your unlocked brown Hero.

Regards,

Glenn

josifbg

Aug 21, 2008
www.all4android.com
Hi josifbg,

Please let us know if this turns up.

As you can see from my previous post, I'm being told that the brown version will not be available unlocked (I've also had a similar response from HTC direct).

So i'll be very interested to see if you do receive your unlocked brown Hero.

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Well we`ll wait to see what color they`ll deliver ....
I expect the delivery on 23.07.2009 as they will ship it on 22.07.2009 (1 day delivery by Air - Fedex).

Crossing fingers.....

cboyd

Jul 21, 2008
Hope this sheds some light, all correct as of launch date:

White - UK Independant channel only, so online etailers, shops etc.

Brown and Pink - Carphone Warehouse only. Not sure if will be sold connected only or if they'll do it sim free.

Graphite - Orange UK Only

Hero looks likely to launch (very) end of July / early August

josifbg

Aug 21, 2008
www.all4android.com
Bad News... Just spoke with Handtec sales manager and he told me that the release date will be in August.:mad::mad:

[14:17:52] ********* says: no date
[14:17:59] ********* says: early August
[14:18:45] Ciki says: includes handtec?
[14:19:30] ********* says: Yes
[14:19:36] ********* says: we are registered Htc DEALERS
[14:19:49] ********* says: Such as Amazon
[14:22:29] Ciki says: last time you told me that delivery date 21.07 is confirmed looks like the delivery is changed again ?
[14:23:50] ********* says: yes it has
[14:24:04] Ciki says: Oh my....
[14:24:21] ********* says: Its coz google are doing a retest on the device
[14:24:57] Ciki says: ok but how long we have to wait for the delivery?
[14:25:17] Ciki says: i mean.. this is unbelievable...
[14:25:47] Ciki says: and looks like there is no date... and no body knows....
[14:33:32] ********* says: thats true
[14:33:48] ********* says: but if no one has them then theres nothing to really worry about

30min later he told me 1st week of August.... :mad:

knnelg

Jan 25, 2007
josifbg, I don't know if youv'e seen the latest handtec website update, but with regard to the brown version it says.... "This version will NOT launch in the UK, please refer to the White version"

Here is the page...

http://www.handtec.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=htc+hero&update.x=0&update.y=0&update=Search

Strange thing is, that if you click through to the main page, they still say taking preorders. Me thinks left hand don't know what right hand is doing.

Regards,

Glenn

josifbg

Aug 21, 2008
www.all4android.com
josifbg, I don't know if youv'e seen the latest handtec website update, but with regard to the brown version it says.... "This version will NOT launch in the UK, please refer to the White version"

Here is the page...

http://www.handtec.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=htc+hero&update.x=0&update.y=0&update=Search

Strange thing is, that if you click through to the main page, they still say taking preorders. Me thinks left hand don't know what right hand is doing.

Regards,

Glenn

Oh My.... anyone know where i can find the Brown version or any other color different than White?

Last edited:

josifbg

Aug 21, 2008
www.all4android.com
Just canceled the pre-order from Handtec....

I can`t believe they`ve actually charged my CC for something which can be delivered after 1 month for example.. and in the actual delivery date 02.08.2009 to say " We are sorry but the reference order xxxxx HTC Hero Brown color is not availible and will not be available from UK so ... yo have 2 options: Cancel the order or go with the White edition....."

:mad:

amczee

Aug 11, 2008
As all the pre order Hero's I've seen so far, are white, I thought I'd emails some suppliers about unlocked black ones.

The replies I'm receiving seem to indicate the unlocked sim-free Hero's will only be available in white (UK).

Why do they do they come up with these crazy restrictions? Do they deliberately try to limit their sales?

I despair sometimes :(

Anyone seen unlocked Black versions advertised?

Regards,

Glenn
I recieved my HTC Hero Brown yesterday - ordered from Pixmania which is based in France. Europe was awarded the the Brown unlocked version. Ordered Wednesday, arrived Friday. When setting up the phone, gave me two language options, French or English.. I know which version I chose :p

Very impressed.

knnelg

Jan 25, 2007
Hi amczee,

Well spotted. I missed that one. I ended up buying a brown one from mobiles.co.uk (£79 + 12 months @ £30 for an Orange contract - £40 cashback from Topcashback = £400 with free delivery) so ended up paying £400 over 12 months. I'm not using the Orange sim as I've got one of the O2 'simplicity' sims for £19.58 per month which gives 800 mins, 1200 texts, free voicemail & unlimited data (unlike Orange/T-Mobile 500MB/1GB)

I don't need a lot of minutes/texts so was going to go for the no-contract (30 day rolling contract) version of the 'simplicity', but as O" are offering £100 cashback on 12 month sim only contracts, I went for that instead.

Ordered my Hero on Wednesday evening, received Friday morning. All in all, Im happy.

This is my first android phone, so I'm having an educational whale of a time :)

Glenn