Clarity/resolution

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has a crazy crisp display. Just kidding, this is automated text so who knows if this screen is any good. So, you be the judge! A higher rating indicates that it's extremely sharp and clear, and that you cannot see pixels with your naked eye.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: izbr1234

kamranhaghighi

Apr 8, 2012
Orgrimmar
Even at QHD I can see the weird rainbow-sh look in the display. AMOLEDs with pentile pattern look worse than something like IPS at the same resolution.

kirinalin

Jan 28, 2017
Im not sure if it's because of the curves or the QHD but the screen looks AMAZING. Great contrast between whites and blacks and so crisp for web browsing.

Reactions: MonstaSaleens

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I think the edges ruin the screen for me. If the S7 had been larger I wouldn't have gotten the edge.

I say this as a previous Note 7 owner. The Note 7 edge wasn't so steep and didn't blur out text/pictures that go over the edge anywhere near as bad.

I will gladly buy an S8 edge outright if it holds the design of the Note 7's edge.

Reactions: ANGEL4RIM

sYnced

Jul 17, 2014
Believe that IPS screens have more definition.

Not a bad screen, but if I compare my iPhone 6s Plus between this S7 Edge, iPhone looks more clear.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Believe that IPS screens have more definition.

Not a bad screen, but if I compare my iPhone 6s Plus between this S7 Edge, iPhone looks more clear.

I personally don't think the clarity is any better, but the colors are far more realistic which may be what causes that thought. While the S7E is better than previous samsung phones I've had, their colors are insanely over saturated. That just is a samsung thing in general. Their TVs are the same way. Most of the stock adjustments are horrible and I could never own one without it needing calibrated.

qwewqa

Apr 10, 2016
I personally don't think the clarity is any better, but the colors are far more realistic which may be what causes that thought. While the S7E is better than previous samsung phones I've had, their colors are insanely over saturated. That just is a samsung thing in general. Their TVs are the same way. Most of the stock adjustments are horrible and I could never own one without it needing calibrated.
There are several options in settings > display > screen mode to adjust colors.

sYnced

Jul 17, 2014

I do know about saturation on AmoLed screens. I´m actually comparing both phones right now, and looking closely to them, I can swear iPhone has more like definition, despite of resolution on S7E.

You are right about TVs, their colors are too much strong for me, thats why I prefer LG, curved screens are insane.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
There are several options in settings > display > screen mode to adjust colors.

Yeah, it doesn't come close regardless of those settings to the more realistic IPS display. I do blame Samsung, I think the displays are capable of realistic colors, but samsung is at fault for their love of over saturation.

I do know about saturation on AmoLed screens. I´m actually comparing both phones right now, and looking closely to them, I can swear iPhone has more like definition, despite of resolution on S7E.

You are right about TVs, their colors are too much strong for me, thats why I prefer LG, curved screens are insane.

Do you have the phone set to WQHD? I was comparing mine to my dads Iphone 6S Plus last night and couldn't tell a difference minus the heavy color saturation. I started using some B&W images to compare to try and remove the color problem. Tried to pick some pictures that were more on the W end than the B end to keep it relatively fair. Used some rather large pictures, larger than either display can show, which also plays a role in which compresses better. WQHD is 2560X1440 and the 6S Plus is 1920X1080. I did not compare two 1080P images and so the Iphone may win here. I can't say for sure.

Now if you were to ask me to compare my old Note 3/4 to the Iphone 6 Plus at the time, I would 100% agree with you.

sYnced

Jul 17, 2014
Yeah, it doesn't come close regardless of those settings to the more realistic IPS display. I do blame Samsung, I think the displays are capable of realistic colors, but samsung is at fault for their love of over saturation.

Do you have the phone set to WQHD? I was comparing mine to my dads Iphone 6S Plus last night and couldn't tell a difference minus the heavy color saturation. I started using some B&W images to compare to try and remove the color problem. Tried to pick some pictures that were more on the W end than the B end to keep it relatively fair. Used some rather large pictures, larger than either display can show, which also plays a role in which compresses better. WQHD is 2560X1440 and the 6S Plus is 1920X1080. I did not compare two 1080P images and so the Iphone may win here. I can't say for sure.

Now if you were to ask me to compare my old Note 3/4 to the Iphone 6 Plus at the time, I would 100% agree with you.

Yes, on WQHD, on 1080p doesn't have any chance to fight.

I am not sure what it is, just feeling more satisfied with 6s Plus. I have played with Settings on screen for S7E, but it's not close. It may be that I've used my 6s plus for a year and I'm new with the S7E, got used to ips.

Anyhow, I feel same as you with saturation. Samsung could do it better.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati

says exactly what I am saying...

Screens fine, but over saturated to hell and back. Yes it has a color management to help, but it can't fix horribly handled saturation by Samsung.

"As expected the Galaxy S7 OLED spectra are relatively narrow with deep notches between the primaries, which results in highly saturated colors that are adjusted with display Color Management to improve image color accuracy"

qwewqa

Apr 10, 2016
says exactly what I am saying...

Screens fine, but over saturated to hell and back. Yes it has a color management to help, but it can't fix horribly handled saturation by Samsung.

"As expected the Galaxy S7 OLED spectra are relatively narrow with deep notches between the primaries, which results in highly saturated colors that are adjusted with display Color Management to improve image color accuracy"
According to the article from DisplayMate, the the average color error (from sRGB) of the S7 Edge is 1.5 JNCD and broke the previous record for color accuracy. I see no evidence that Samsung was unable to properly calibrate the S7 Edge display in Color Management, as it had the least average color error for smartphone displays at the time of review.

Last edited:

dheerpat

Dec 21, 2007
kinda disappointed with whiteness of the screen
my opx and oppo f1 s have much whiter screen.this one is yellowish. any tweaks suggested?

drummerman

Jun 17, 2016
Bournemouth
According to the article from DisplayMate, the the average color error (from sRGB) of the S7 Edge is 1.5 JNCD and broke the previous record for color accuracy. I see no evidence that Samsung was unable to properly calibrate the S7 Edge display in Color Management, as it had the least average color error for smartphone displays at the time of review.

I once bought a Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma TV. It was, at the time, heralded as the most accurate set available. Display Mate and others did their tests etc and several AV mags used the TV as a reference. It cost me £2700.

I sold it at a £900 loss 6 months later.

Never got on with it and honestly never understood what all the buzz was about. Whilst blacks were deep whites looked ... not white. Worse, in scenes with a lot of white content the brightness dimmed further. The thing also buzzed in tune with brightness levels.

The test reports didn't or hardly did touch on these well known problems often discussed on owner forums.

Moral ... don't believe everything you read.

I also feel that for me a good LCD still has the upper hand in naturalness picture wise overall compared to Amoled which, in comparison, seems over saturated. (I use basic mode and an app called Screen balance)

Other than that, I think the S7E is a good device and I probably will use it another year.

My next phone will likely have an LCD display though unless Samsung change their Amoleds in some ways (or introduce more versatile screen adjustments)

Saturation levels may well also depend on the resolution
If every pixel is used you likely get more Saturation. In Nougat you can lower resolution to HD. I haven't updated yet as I want more S7e user feedback on A7 (I have exceptional battery life on MM and no issues).

I would be interested to hear if anyone noticed less Saturation with reduced resolution, ideally backed up by measurements.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has a crazy crisp display. Just kidding, this is automated text so who knows if this screen is any good. So, you be the judge! A higher rating indicates that it's extremely sharp and clear, and that you cannot see pixels with your naked eye.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    Im not sure if it's because of the curves or the QHD but the screen looks AMAZING. Great contrast between whites and blacks and so crisp for web browsing.
    I think the edges ruin the screen for me. If the S7 had been larger I wouldn't have gotten the edge.

I say this as a previous Note 7 owner. The Note 7 edge wasn't so steep and didn't blur out text/pictures that go over the edge anywhere near as bad.

I will gladly buy an S8 edge outright if it holds the design of the Note 7's edge.