[Jlo][20121227] Clockwork Mod & CyanogenMod 10 for Xperia J

Search This thread

adfad666

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
There's no longer any difference between this and the FXP release so i'm closing down this thread. If you're using my ROM you can safely flash the latest rom from the FXP thread.

ClockworkMod 6.0.2.5
View attachment ClockworkMod-6.0.2.5.img

Your phone needs to have an unlocked bootloader! Follow these instructions

Please do not use the ClockworkMod found in another thread. It's very buggy, is not compatible with the Xperia J and may permanently damage your phone.

Instructions:
  • Download ClockworkMod from the link above
  • Switch off phone
  • Hold Vol-UP button
  • Insert USB cable, wait for blue light
You are now in fastboot mode!

Flash and enter recovery:
  • In terminal, run fastboot flash boot ClockworkMod-6.0.2.5.img
  • In terminal, run fastboot reboot
  • when the purple LED shines, press and hold the Vol-UP button
You are now in ClockworkMod Recovery!

CyanogenMod 10.0
01 - cm-10-20121212-UNOFFICIAL-jlo.zip - 154.50 MB
02 - cm-10-20121217-UNOFFICIAL-jlo.zip - 154.53 MB
03 - cm-10-20121227-UNOFFICIAL-jlo.zip - 153.91 MB

Instructions:
  • Download CyanogenMod 10.0 from the link above
  • Download GAPPS if required
  • Save them to the internal sdcard
  • (The external sdcard shows in CWM too, but I haven't tested this)
Now it's time to be free!

Flash CyanogenMod 10.0:
  • Enter recovery as above
  • Wipe data / factory reset
  • mounts and storage --> format /system
  • Install zip from sdcard --> CyanogenMod 10.0
  • Install zip from sdcard --> GAPPS
  • Reboot
  • ? ? ? ? ?
  • Profit!

Known Issues

• Stock camera has rotated preview and does not take pictures
  • Notification bar sometimes gets stuck and becomes unusable
  • Recovery Jumps around every time the screen changes (fixed in 03)
  • Notification LEDs do not blink (fixed in 03)
  • Headphones are not detected at all (fixed in 02)
  • Magnetic and orientation sensors do not work (fixed in 02)
(The camera can be partially solved by replacing Gallery2.apk with GalleryGoogle.apk from eg a Nexus S stock JB4.1.2 ROM which allows you to take photos, but the preview is still rotated)
(Notification bar can be fixed by removing "debug.fb.rgb565=0" and "debug.composition.type=mdp" from build.prop)

Everything else just works - WiFi, bluetooth GSM, Data, etc.
If you find any other issues post them!

Below are sources, and attached is the stock kernel if you wish to flash back a CWM backup of the stock ROM

This would have been much more difficult if it wasn't for the FreeXperia Team, so say thanks to them too!

Device folder - Vendor folder - Kernel folder

Screenshot_2012-12-13-15-46-37.jpg Screenshot_2012-12-13-15-47-05.jpg

Attachments

• kernel.elf.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 4,755
Last edited:

noriya

Oct 2, 2011
phnom penh
Hi,

Since CM10 for miro/tipo already exists, I have taken their sources, adapted them for our device, extracted the relevant system files and made a build.

Before I test I just need to get hold of a factory ROM and a way to flash it if it goes a bit wrong. I've heard about something called flashtool, so i'm going to investigate that. Does someone already have experience reflashing a factory ROM?

i think if we have ftf file we always can flash it back with flashtool if something goes wrong.i flash my xperia j 2 times now.and thanks for cm10.waiting for it.may i test it with my xperia j.

crownpku

Nov 28, 2012
Hong Kong
I think you can either find a ftf file from the threads and flash it, or just use Sony's update service to flash a factory Rom. Just note that it will wipe your data.

Sent from my ST26i

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
Great, can you post a link to the correct flashtool? it seems there are a bunch of different versions out there.

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
I just flashed the generated boot.img, the purple led was shining but I didn't access CWM when I pressed the up button (the led turned blue, but the screen didn't come on).

I'll try the kernel from the unpacked kernel.sin for our device.

EDIT: it's not a kernel problem, the compiled kernel 'boots' just fine (obviously android doesn't fully boot as the boot.img is completely different, however according to logcat most hardware seems to be working fine, the xperia boot logo comes up as normal)

Last edited:

kishenpj21

Sep 9, 2012
In flash tool,u can add a driver by yourself for Xperia J...

Go to flash tool directory and double click devices...

In that folder you can c ST27 folder.... If not install all flash tool drivers, then navigate to devices folder n see

Rename ST27 to ST26

In that folder replace loader.sin with xperia J's loader.sin from the ftf file

Restart flash tool and flash... It'll work :)

>>> Or wait until tomorrow... I'll upload d xperia j driver for any version of flash tool :) <<<

Sent from my ST26i using xda premium

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
OK nothing I have tried will get the Xperia J to show CWM. However I suspect it is booting into recovery, but not showing anything on the screen.

To enter recovery I should press the up (or down) button when I see the purple LED and the LED turns blue when successful, which it does.

If I then press the power button when the LED is blue, the phone reboots, like if I had selected reboot phone in CWM, which is usually the first option. If I press up or down then press the power button, nothing happens, another option in CWM is being chosen.

So, why isn't the recovery showing anything on the screen, but the screen will turn on fine during a normal boot? I must investigate further.

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
That root method doesn't work on my device, neither on Linux or Windows. My device is still unrooted, could that be a cause of the blank screen? (I doubt it)

EDIT: I don't know why but I tried it again and it worked :highfive:

Last edited:

kishenpj21

Sep 9, 2012
That root method doesn't work on my device, neither on Linux or Windows. My device is still unrooted, could that be a cause of the blank screen? (I doubt it)

EDIT: I don't know why but I tried it again and it worked :highfive:

Wat kernel r u using? Btw u have the original firmware installed on ur device?

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
Patience young padowan. It's coming, but its got a major problem, com.android.phone constantly force closes until you delete phone.apk, which is quite difficult as you have about 0.1 seconds to perform any actions onscreen before the next force close message.

In my last build I fixed WiFi so we have some connectivity and Bluetooth also works :) but no GSM yet due to the above problem.

I've done a resync of my sources as I realized they were dirty due to my dev work on LG Optimus One. It needed some hacks for GSM that probably caused the problems above.

PS the stock Xperia keyboard is really **** :(

EDIT: And it's complete! GSM is working, it seems everything functions well!
http://www.mediafire.com/?at6ie5b53jqx44i PLEASE be careful, only use this if you already know how to flash Xperia ROMs (it's the same as for Miro / Tipo) otherwise wait for better instructions. CWM jumps around but otherwise works fine.

Last edited:

crownpku

Nov 28, 2012
Hong Kong
Awesome! Could you edit the first post to address the lastest information? I and the other people can try flash it and report bugs and issues. Thanks man!

Sent from my ST26i

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
So far the bugs I've found are:
  • No headset / headphone support.
  • The front camera preview is fine but the rear camera preview is rotated.
  • Camera force closes when taking a picture.
  • Default kernel governor is Performance (constant max 1GHz).

WiFi, GSM, Data, Bluetooth, all work. Starting a new build with new kernel sources since the CyanogenMod kernel is outdated and doesn't contain patches for Xperia J.

rachit7

Jan 9, 2012
bangalore
Sir can u make a tutorial how to flash ?? Also fix bugs :) tnx for everything

Sent from my ST26i using xda app-developers app

nakTT

Nov 21, 2011
Looking forward to a more stable release. Thanks for your effort.

Sent from my ST26i

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
The good news is that the camera hardware works fine, only the stock camera has issues. Barcode scanner and Pudding camera display the preview correctly and pudding saves images fine too.

There's probably some simple build option I can set to build the camera with correct preview orientation. Investigating...

Sent from my Xperia J using xda premium

Reactions: rachit7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's no longer any difference between this and the FXP release so i'm closing down this thread. If you're using my ROM you can safely flash the latest rom from the FXP thread.

ClockworkMod 6.0.2.5
    View attachment ClockworkMod-6.0.2.5.img

Your phone needs to have an unlocked bootloader! Follow these instructions

Please do not use the ClockworkMod found in another thread. It's very buggy, is not compatible with the Xperia J and may permanently damage your phone.

Instructions:
    • Download ClockworkMod from the link above
    • Switch off phone
    • Hold Vol-UP button
    • Insert USB cable, wait for blue light
    You are now in fastboot mode!

Flash and enter recovery:
    • In terminal, run fastboot flash boot ClockworkMod-6.0.2.5.img
    • In terminal, run fastboot reboot
    • when the purple LED shines, press and hold the Vol-UP button
    You are now in ClockworkMod Recovery!

CyanogenMod 10.0
    01 - cm-10-20121212-UNOFFICIAL-jlo.zip - 154.50 MB
    02 - cm-10-20121217-UNOFFICIAL-jlo.zip - 154.53 MB
    03 - cm-10-20121227-UNOFFICIAL-jlo.zip - 153.91 MB

Instructions:
    • Download CyanogenMod 10.0 from the link above
    • Download GAPPS if required
    • Save them to the internal sdcard
    • (The external sdcard shows in CWM too, but I haven't tested this)
    Now it's time to be free!

Flash CyanogenMod 10.0:
    • Enter recovery as above
    • Wipe data / factory reset
    • mounts and storage --> format /system
    • Install zip from sdcard --> CyanogenMod 10.0
    • Install zip from sdcard --> GAPPS
    • Reboot
    • ? ? ? ? ?
    • Profit!

Known Issues

• Stock camera has rotated preview and does not take pictures
    • Notification bar sometimes gets stuck and becomes unusable
    • Recovery Jumps around every time the screen changes (fixed in 03)
    • Notification LEDs do not blink (fixed in 03)
    • Headphones are not detected at all (fixed in 02)
    • Magnetic and orientation sensors do not work (fixed in 02)
    (The camera can be partially solved by replacing Gallery2.apk with GalleryGoogle.apk from eg a Nexus S stock JB4.1.2 ROM which allows you to take photos, but the preview is still rotated)
    (Notification bar can be fixed by removing "debug.fb.rgb565=0" and "debug.composition.type=mdp" from build.prop)

Everything else just works - WiFi, bluetooth GSM, Data, etc.
    If you find any other issues post them!

Below are sources, and attached is the stock kernel if you wish to flash back a CWM backup of the stock ROM

This would have been much more difficult if it wasn't for the FreeXperia Team, so say thanks to them too!

Device folder - Vendor folder - Kernel folder

Screenshot_2012-12-13-15-46-37.jpg Screenshot_2012-12-13-15-47-05.jpg
    So far the bugs I've found are:
    • No headset / headphone support.
    • The front camera preview is fine but the rear camera preview is rotated.
    • Camera force closes when taking a picture.
    • Default kernel governor is Performance (constant max 1GHz).

WiFi, GSM, Data, Bluetooth, all work. Starting a new build with new kernel sources since the CyanogenMod kernel is outdated and doesn't contain patches for Xperia J.
    So I've fixed the headphones!

New build coming either tonight or tomorrow morning...
    Patience young padowan. It's coming, but its got a major problem, com.android.phone constantly force closes until you delete phone.apk, which is quite difficult as you have about 0.1 seconds to perform any actions onscreen before the next force close message.

In my last build I fixed WiFi so we have some connectivity and Bluetooth also works :) but no GSM yet due to the above problem.

I've done a resync of my sources as I realized they were dirty due to my dev work on LG Optimus One. It needed some hacks for GSM that probably caused the problems above.

PS the stock Xperia keyboard is really **** :(

EDIT: And it's complete! GSM is working, it seems everything functions well!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?at6ie5b53jqx44i PLEASE be careful, only use this if you already know how to flash Xperia ROMs (it's the same as for Miro / Tipo) otherwise wait for better instructions. CWM jumps around but otherwise works fine.
    So I've been looking into the headset issue. When a headset is inserted, the kernel updates a setting at /sys/devices/virtual/switch/headset_sensor. Android watches these settings and reacts when necessary.

Unfortunately headset_sensor is a nonstandard location for this. The usual location is h2w, which is what CM watches, so it of course does not detect any changes.

I compiled a kernel that changed the setting location to h2w but that caused the power button to stop working. I'm now doing a full compile of CM which watches headset_sensor instead of h2w, hopefully that will work.

If it does work it will solve the problem for Tipo/Miro too.

Sent from my Xperia J using xda premium