Trying to fix/disable Proximity sensor on LG G2

Search This thread

tapotti

Aug 7, 2015
Hi,

Firstly, I DO have root access to my LG G2.

I've looked up as many threads as I could about broken proximity sensors, but so far I have not found a good solution. I don't have the means to open up my phone, so I'm trying a software method.

I have the terminal emulator app and I want to manually recalibrate the proximity sensor. However, I have no idea where the files for the proximity sensor are located on the LG G2. I tried following directions from another thread online. (I can't paste the link since I am a new member)

Unfortunately, I can only get as far as sys/device/virtual. There is no "sensor" subfolder and I can't find the location of the proximity sensor.

Anyone out there have an idea about what I could do about this? All the help is appreciated!

tapotti

Aug 7, 2015
I dropped it last year and had the screen replaced. Since then, the proximity sensor has malfunctioned and believes that it is constantly in my pocket, thus if I try to turn to screen on it will turn back off after a second. In short, the proximity sensor is set to "near" mode all the time unless I bend the phone a certain way.

I've seen ways to fix this on Youtube, but those fixes requiring opening up the phone. I'm trying to find a way to do this on a rooted phone without having to open it up.

D

Deleted member 6882724

Well, I had the same problem like you and I tried several software solutions like going into the device menu via 3845#*802# and recalibrating the proximity sensor.(Settings->Update Touch Firmware)
However, anything that ive tried failed until i opened up my phone and scraped off the tinted layer which was on the inside of the replacementscreen and tada: It suddenly started working and my screen proximity sensor finally started working again and didnt remain on "near" all the time.

2Js7iCh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kras1001
D

Deleted member 6882724

Interesting, did you scrape off the undersurface of the sensor window?

I had to remove the proximity sensor and scratched it off from inside.

Like this:
9qanULp.jpg

Since the motherboard was very loose i was able to just pull out the sensor without having to take everything out of my phone..putting it back in was more difficult but it possible.

D

Deleted member 6882724

Its really not that hard. Its easier than replacing the screen though...and cheaper :D

kras1001

Sep 23, 2013
Well, I had the same problem like you and I tried several software solutions like going into the device menu via 3845#*802# and recalibrating the proximity sensor.(Settings->Update Touch Firmware)
However, anything that ive tried failed until i opened up my phone and scraped off the tinted layer which was on the inside of the replacementscreen and tada: It suddenly started working and my screen proximity sensor finally started working again and didnt remain on "near" all the time.

2Js7iCh.jpg

This "guide" helped me. Thanks.
As described, you should slightly lift the board to remove the proximity sensor without disassembling the entire phone. Of course you can scratch the screen a bit more precisely in the shape of the ellipse :)
Thanks again.

Last edited:

thodoris_9

Oct 23, 2013
Removal

Can I remove the proximity sensor completely and still have a functional phone? I dont mind the screen staying always on

D

Deleted member 7173881

Hi,

Firstly, I DO have root access to my LG G2.

I've looked up as many threads as I could about broken proximity sensors, but so far I have not found a good solution. I don't have the means to open up my phone, so I'm trying a software method.

I have the terminal emulator app and I want to manually recalibrate the proximity sensor. However, I have no idea where the files for the proximity sensor are located on the LG G2. I tried following directions from another thread online. (I can't paste the link since I am a new member)

Unfortunately, I can only get as far as sys/device/virtual. There is no "sensor" subfolder and I can't find the location of the proximity sensor.

Anyone out there have an idea about what I could do about this? All the help is appreciated!
Hi.
It is not that difficult opening your phone.
You just have to remove some screws.You only need a screw opener or a nail.
Anyways what exactly is wrong with your proximity sensor?

evansourav

Sep 15, 2014
Kolkata
fedora.work
I scraped this screen off actually but it didn't help much, proximity works when its on a open space as soon as i put it inside the case problem starts, on the other hand light sensor is working great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 6882724

2Js7iCh.jpg