Crackling sound while pressing the area of Micro SIM slot?

Search This thread

SirRobin78

Good morning,

i´ve to ask the global z1 compact users about the build quality of the devices.

My first device from amazon.de had a crackling sound while pressing the area of the micro SIM card slot - amazon did an instand replace but the replacement unit also started with this issue on day after set up. I think this is not a general fault but i´m a bit angry with this issue on such an premium device.

Can you hear anything when pressing this area? what do you think about that? Will you recharge?

I´ll hope that this is not a problem for water resistance...thinking about the Z in the first times...loosing back panel...

Zoidy

Jan 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I have this too. It's just a little flexing of the phone frame and I'm not too fussed about it. Actually hadn't noticed it until you pointed out out.

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: SirRobin78

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
Mine also does this, but you have to apply more force than I'm comfortable with in order to get any sound

Wouldn't have noticed it all had you not pointed it out

Reactions: SirRobin78

darksideauto

Jun 13, 2010
Des Moines
Same here. I had to squeeze quite hard. Should not be a problem as long as you don't use your phone as a jackstand under a car.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Bigmille

May 23, 2008
London
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
My 10 days old Compact have the same issues. It squeaks when I press it with light force around the edge between the micro sdcard slot and magnetic charging port.

However, the most concerning part is a loose gap between the back side plastic rim join to the metal frame below the magnetic charging port. It is large enough I can fit by finger nail into, and I can see the gap closing by pressing on the metal frame. Normally I would not care so much, but for a water proof phone this is alarming.

Overall, the design of the Compact is poor compared to the Z1. The Z1 never flex or squeaks no matter how much pressure I apply. Also the plastic rim sits inside the metal frame rather than glued on top like the compact.

Last edited:

dk_iceman

Jan 24, 2009
Denmark - Sundby Mors
My 10 days old Compact have the same issues. It squeaks when I press it with light force around the edge between the micro sdcard slot and magnetic charging port.

However, the most concerning part is a loose gap between the back side plastic rim join to the metal frame below the magnetic charging port. It is large enough I can fit by finger nail into, and I can see the gap closing by pressing on the metal frame. Normally I would not care so much, but for a water proof phone this is alarming.

Overall, the design of the Compact is poor compared to the Z1. The Z1 never flex or squeaks no matter how much pressure I apply. Also the plastic rim sits inside the metal frame rather than glued on top like the compact.

Mine does the same around the magnetic port... i think maybe its because of the Double sided "tape" that insures the water proofing between the alu and the plastic rim..

heavyhms

Mine has a light gap between plastic back and metal frame(about 1/10mm or less, noticeable only after a very maniacal and close inspection)from micro sd slot to micro sim slot.
The back is not perfectly flat, but isn't a metal frame bending: if placed face down on a table the entire screen touch the surface, leaving face up the corner next micro sim does not touch the surface (barely noticeable: 1/10mm or less). The phone remains waterproof (at least totally submerged on 10cm of water).
Maybe there are few minimal tolerance using flexible material as polycarbonate back, when placed on direct contact of a non-so-flat thing as a battery.
Li-po and li-ion battery doesn't have a surface totally flat, specially on the borders and edges: there are frequently minimal differences and all phones with removable battery have a small gap between battery door and battery filled with some lining to compensate. On Z1 Compact teardown we can se the battery on direct contact of policarbonate rear.
Attenction: this i not a defective battery: a damaged lipo has central rise of several mm not a lateral of 1/10 - 1/20 mm; on side there are simply the "bend" of aluminium sheet and the adhesive label encasing the li-po cell.

The phone works well, looks great and retain the water proof capability.
We are all to apprensive with our new toy ;)

Last edited:

heavyhms

However, the most concerning part is a loose gap between the back side plastic rim join to the metal frame below the magnetic charging port. It is large enough I can fit by finger nail into, and I can see the gap closing by pressing on the metal frame.

Test the impermeability (with the support of a video camera to certify the perfect closing of ports flaps), and if phone retains the waterproof capability you can seal the gap with a application of semiliquid black rubber. Do you have sent the phone to Sony for a replacement? I have sent to Italian support team a mail with some photo (my phone retains the impermeability...or at least is survived to a 2 min submersion and there are no trace of water on humidity sensors presents under connectors ).
If Sony certify this issue as cosmetic only I'll close the gap with rubber.

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 utilizzando Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have this too. It's just a little flexing of the phone frame and I'm not too fussed about it. Actually hadn't noticed it until you pointed out out.

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app
    Mine also does this, but you have to apply more force than I'm comfortable with in order to get any sound

Wouldn't have noticed it all had you not pointed it out