Note 3 Reception Problems

Search This thread

Alexander Feng

Apr 1, 2011
Hello,

I am having some problems with my AT&T Galaxy Note 3. I have not been able to figure out the cause. I flashed Dynamic Kat (newest version) on my phone and it is having problems making outgoing calls. I show 3 bars 4G LTE and when it switches to 4G while making a call, the reception goes to 0. I wait and the phone shows that it is not registered on a mobile network. The weird part is that sometimes the phone can make an outgoing call. I have tried two different ROMs and so I think its probably the phone's fault. My mobile network works.

Another symptom is that sometimes when I restart the phone, the phone says it does not have reception and I have to take out the battery and try again. Are there any settings in the samsung hidden menu that would cause this problem?

Data and everything else works, it just that when it switches to 4G while making the reception goes to 0.

Hacc09

Jun 24, 2014
I had the MLG version of Kk installed on my note 3, and had great reception. Untill I used Alliance rom, which has the newer modem on it. I flashed the MLG modem on the Alliance rom and have had great service again. You can give that a try.

Alexander Feng

Apr 1, 2011
Alliance Rom

I had the MLG version of Kk installed on my note 3, and had great reception. Untill I used Alliance rom, which has the newer modem on it. I flashed the MLG modem on the Alliance rom and have had great service again. You can give that a try.

That could be it. I did flash Alliance rom before. I'll update with results when I have time to change modem.

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
Having the same issue on 2 unrooted phones after updating to the newest Kit Kat ROM. Most of the time it shows 2 bars and I can't make calls or receive them. Calls go straight to voicemail without missed call notification. Phones are now worthless in low reception areas. I had to resort to Voice IP using Ring.To and my home wifi to get my incoming calls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
A couple things to note. Samsung phones radios are weaker then other phones (at least that's what at&t told me lol)

2nd thing to note 4G LTE and 4G are both for data not phone calls. Phones calls I believe are sent over the edge network.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
A couple things to note. Samsung phones radios are weaker then other phones (at least that's what at&t told me lol)

2nd thing to note 4G LTE and 4G are both for data not phone calls. Phones calls I believe are sent over the edge network.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app
My phone always drops down to 4G/HSPA+ to make or receive calls. I have never seen it use edge during a call.

Samsung radios may suck, but they've gotten a hell of a lot better. I live in a pretty strong LTE area and with my old Samsung Galaxy Nexus I could barely get LTE unless I was directly under a tower. My Note 3 holds onto LTE all day long in areas where I barely got 3G with my Gnex.

My only complaint with the Note 3's reception is when I'm at the gym. It's a steel/concrete building so it's near impossible for anyone to get a signal in there, but somehow my Gnex managed to do it. It was only 1x, but that was enough to send texts. My Note 3 says screw it and cuts out completely. I was on Verizon with the Gnex and now I'm on AT&T (obviously), so perhaps the different frequencies used by the carriers has something to do with it.