Gingerbread-style keyboard that doesn't get cut off

Search This thread

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I downloaded the free Gingerbread keyboard from market, but found that in landscape it was cut-off by the Archos buttons. I then downloaded Steven Lin's latest source code from github, compiled it, and noticed that it doesn't have the landscape cut-off. I don't know why the version in Market is cut-off.

I then made some tweaks for myself. Two of these you can ignore: it comes with a nighmode version in red, but that's optional, and you can force the suggestions to be on even when the app requests them to be off (e.g., in search boxes), but that, too, is option. One tweak may annoy, and you can't turn it off: I added all the rest of the punctuation to what you get when you tap and hold the period and the comma. I can't do with only some punctuation on the main keyboard. Finally, I removed all language support other than English, which greatly slims down the apk.

So, all in all it's something I made for myself. But if you want it, it's here.

Reactions: macemoneta

macemoneta

Dec 4, 2010
NJ
www.twitter.com
Thanks! It works great. The available additional punctuation is much appreciated; I always found the additional keystrokes needed annoying when using the terminal or ssh.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Thanks! It works great. The available additional punctuation is much appreciated; I always found the additional keystrokes needed annoying when using the terminal or ssh.

Yeah, the lack of a full ASCII keyboard has always been a pet peeve of mine about portable devices. I suppose not everyone sends emails that require all ASCII symbols.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
It doesn't work on A70. The keyboard doesn't open.

1. Do you have "Gingerbread ARP keyboard" checked in the Keyboard settings?
2. What happens when you long tap on an input field, and then choose "Select input method"? Is it listed among the options?

By the way, I just found that the current version of the Gingerbread Keyboard in the Market works fine with landscape on my A43.

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
1. Do you have "Gingerbread ARP keyboard" checked in the Keyboard settings?
2. What happens when you long tap on an input field, and then choose "Select input method"? Is it listed among the options?

Of course, I activated the Gingerbread ARP keyboard in the settings. I chose it in the "select input method" menu.

When I tap on a textfield, the keyboard doesn't open, but at the bottom of the screen, there are ca. 2 rows of pixels, where I can see a little bit of the keyboard.

What can I do?

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Interesting. There is no blank space, either?

What happens in landscape?

Does this happen with the 2.3 keyboard in the Market?

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
Interesting. There is no blank space, either?

What happens in landscape?

Does this happen with the 2.3 keyboard in the Market?

There is no white/blank space and the problem is in the landscape mode.

It happens everytime when I try to use this keyboard.

It's like the keyboard would be invisible, only the 2 rows of pixel on the bottom.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
There is no white/blank space and the problem is in the landscape mode.

Can you email me a screenshot? (My favorite way is to use adb: adb fbgrab /storage/gb.png and then adb pull /storage/gb.png.)

Is it fine in portrait?

Did you change your DPI setting? (I don't think it would make a difference, but you never know.)

tdude51

Jan 19, 2011
The keyboard works great with my Archos 43. Thanks! I think I'll be using it from now on. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I downloaded the free Gingerbread keyboard from market, but found that in landscape it was cut-off by the Archos buttons. I then downloaded Steven Lin's latest source code from github, compiled it, and noticed that it doesn't have the landscape cut-off. I don't know why the version in Market is cut-off.

I then made some tweaks for myself. Two of these you can ignore: it comes with a nighmode version in red, but that's optional, and you can force the suggestions to be on even when the app requests them to be off (e.g., in search boxes), but that, too, is option. One tweak may annoy, and you can't turn it off: I added all the rest of the punctuation to what you get when you tap and hold the period and the comma. I can't do with only some punctuation on the main keyboard. Finally, I removed all language support other than English, which greatly slims down the apk.

So, all in all it's something I made for myself. But if you want it, it's here.