[outdated]non-updating rooted images

Search This thread

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
These images are outdated! do not use them anymore!
there are much more useful roms and mods for the chromecast now made my devs who actually own the device. go use them. I am no longer doing anything at all with the chromecast. (I haven't found one at any local store with a serial number in the rootable range, and I have no use for a stock one.)

rooted images for the chromecast that will remove google's ability to update anything at will. Use this to save your open bootloader.

Discussion started in here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2387392
Split off to make it easier to find for new users.

download:
build 13300: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2453097 not my image. Made by someone who actually owns a chromecast.
build 12940: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19978192/gtvhacker-chromecast-12940.bin.gz
build 12840: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19978192/gtvhacker-chromecast.bin.gz

Thanks to:
GTVHacker - original root image
Google - for making the h2g2-42
ellen - putting up with me making these instead of watching chick flics with her

Last edited:

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
If I factory reset my chromecast with this firmware will it upgrade or keep this firmware?

twist

Feb 23, 2006
This is great man, I just got my cable today and my chromecast a couple days ago, I refrained from plugging it in, so unless its been updated already it should be on!

So do I need to flash the original GTVHacker bin and then your 12940 bin?

Thanks for the great work and thanks to GTVHackers and XDA.

This is great man, I just got my cable today and my chromecast a couple days ago, I refrained from plugging it in, so unless its been updated already it should be on!

So do I need to flash the original GTVHacker bin and then your 12940 bin?

Thanks for the great work and thanks to GTVHackers and XDA.

Flash tvall's image if you don't want it to auto-update and loose root..

dmcccdmn

Dec 14, 2012
It is my understanding that one of Google's OTA's blocks local files streaming like Fling. Does your image contain the update that broke Fling?

Last edited:

deepdespair

Jul 26, 2011
Reno
It is my understanding that one of Google's OTA's blocks local files streaming like Fling. Does your image contain the update that broke Fling?

IIRC, it wasn't an OTA update that broke Fling. Google made some changes server-side that broke it. The ChromeCast connects to Google servers (or 'phones home') during use. The developer of Fling used unsupported API calls in the app, which was built using the preview SDK. Google's updates invalidated those calls, essentially rendering the app useless. Google has stated that the breaking of local media casting was unintentional, and they do plan on allowing support in the future. At the moment, the ChromeCast can still be considered a device in testing. I don't think the official SDK is out yet.

Last edited:

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
AirCast was "reverse engineered" though, right? So if it didn't have that "time bomb" in it, it should still work, right?

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aircast is dead. Fling is dead. Rooting does not help. These are dead until some day Google decides to allow it. Google allows only a few apps : Netflix, YouTube, and Google provided content. Google could have decided that allcast and fling were so popular that permitting it like Netflix is permitted will increase sales. Google could have decided to permit allcast and fling, but decided against it.

So, you might have purchased the chromecast after reading about allcast as I did, and am disappointed with having purchased a device whose very few apps are uninteresting to me.

There are only a few choices :
1. Wait and hope google will permit allcast and Fling in the future.
2. Wait and see if developers will provide this functionality for rooted devices.
3. Sell the chromecast to someone who loves Netflix and netflix alone - who isn't interested in connectivity to the many other Internet content providers - like one has access to via Roku.

Actually, stores have many devices, either standalone or built into blu ray players which provides Netflix along with far more choices for Internet provided media. Google's chromecast looks very inferior to me.

In its current form, chromecast is probably a big disappointment to most people who have purchased it. The only hope is that it will become something better in the future - either directly from Google, or via developers.

At this time, rooting gets us nothing, except hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: giuliastro

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
Anyone want to write some detailed instructions on how to use this?

I just make the images, I don't know exactly how to use them

jsdecker10

Jul 9, 2012
The good ol Deep South
Anyone want to write some detailed instructions on how to use this?

I just make the images, I don't know exactly how to use them

tvall...man, lemme tell ya...i'm impressed. You're sittin there making images for our Chromecasts and you aren't even able to see if they work or not and you aren't even getting to enjoy this toy. I wouldn't have NEAR the patience that you must have, especially if I wasn't even able to enjoy what I had worked on. I dunno how you do it man, but congratulations! you're officially DA BOMB!! lol We all appreciate everything you've done for us here and look forward to MANNNYYYYY more updates from you! Thank You!

Reactions: tvall

dmcccdmn

Dec 14, 2012
IIRC, it wasn't an OTA update that broke Fling. Google made some changes server-side that broke it. The ChromeCast connects to Google servers (or 'phones home') during use. The developer of Fling used unsupported API calls in the app, which was built using the preview SDK. Google's updates invalidated those calls, essentially rendering the app useless. Google has stated that the breaking of local media casting was unintentional, and they do plan on allowing support in the future. At the moment, the ChromeCast can still be considered a device in testing. I don't think the official SDK is out yet.

That's very odd. I didn't think that Fling would need to connect to Google servers in order to function. Shouldn't everything just work locally? If I unhook my cable modem and leave my router on, wouldn't Fling still function without the internet?

kozmo2k4

Top Liked Posts