[GUIDE] How to Restore Stock Firmware Images in All Tab 4 Series: 7.0, 8.0 & 10.1

Search This thread

MarckozZ

Jan 4, 2013
Argentina
Head.jpg

Hello guys, with this guide you can restore Stock Firmware Images for all Galaxy Tab 4 Series.

This is useful to restore firmware in case something goes wrong, if you flash a custom ROM and it fails, or, for example, if Samsung decides to update this devices to Lollipop. For this you also will need stock untouched firmware.

Pre-requisites:

1) Make a backup of everything you consider important: Apps, photos, music, etc.
2) Download drivers for your specific device from HERE, install the drivers and reboot your PC to apply changes.
3) Download Odin 3.0.9, it is attached below in this post, and extract it.
4) Download the firmware image for your specific device from HERE and extraxt the file inside, it should be a huge 1GB+ size *.tar.md5 file.
5) Make sure your device's battery is at 60% or more.
6) Enable USB Debugging on Settings > General > Developer Options (If you can't find Developer Options menu, go to Settings > General > About Device and tap several times on Build Number, then it will tell you Dev Options is enabled).

Lets start:

1) Run Odin 3.09 as Administrator (in Windows right click on Odin icon and select "Run as Administrator")
2) Turn off your tablet and now turn it on in Download Mode (press Home + Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time until the tablet turns on, then when prompted, press Volume Up button to proceed)
3) Now connect your tablet to PC via USB cable. Odin should show a plugged device and an ADDED! message, like this:

001.png

If you can't get Odin to recognise your device, check which drivers you installed or try another USB cable.

4) Make sure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected, like this:

002.png

5) Now check the AP option and press the AP button to find and select the firmware image (the *.tar.md5 file you extracted earlier), when you select the image, Odin will check if it has errors. If everything is OK, it should say it succesfully checked it, like this:

003.png

6) You are ready to rock, so, hit the START button and wait...
7) Go, watch TV, chat with friends, make a sandwich or play Chess with your cat.
8) Once completed, you will see the Pass! message in ID:COM section, with a green background. Your tablet should auto reboot automatically.
9) Unplug your tablet.
10) Enjoy all the bloatware once again!

Thanks for reading and if you have doubts, let us know in the comments.

Cheers!!!

Attachments

• Odin3_v3.09.zip
    972.4 KB · Views: 14,915
Last edited:

Joelsmarias

Jul 30, 2015
Thank You!

Thanks Man! Custom ROMS are fun but it sucks when something is not working right that which was working perfectly in the Stock ROM. Will wait patiently. hope Lollipop comes to SM-T230NU soon

Reactions: aeaddy03

phillybizzle

Sep 28, 2010
Brew City, WI, 414
I cannot for the life of me get my tab to stay in download mode while flashing. It makes it as far as a quarter though the system partition then it just reboots back to the "firmware encountered an issue" screen. As far as I know the battery has more than enough if not a full charge!! HEEEEEEELP!!!!

beatbreakee

Aug 10, 2015
Frisco
Samsung Galaxy S10
Will restore of stock firmware overwrite custom recovery

Hi... just finally got my Tab 4 8.0 rooted by using custom recovery and special kernel. I love having root, but in the event i have to send the tablet in for any kind of warranty repair, i just want to know if simply ODIN flashing the stock 5.1.1 firmware will restore the stock recovery and reset my knox counter and stuff... Any details greatly appreciated!

Hi... just finally got my Tab 4 8.0 rooted by using custom recovery and special kernel. I love having root, but in the event i have to send the tablet in for any kind of warranty repair, i just want to know if simply ODIN flashing the stock 5.1.1 firmware will restore the stock recovery and reset my knox counter and stuff... Any details greatly appreciated!

It will definitely restore the stock recovery. Idk about resetting the flash counter, my instinct tells me no but that could be wrong. If worst comes to worst and you do have to send it in under warranty, tell them Kies broke it, that's worked for me and a few of my friends even with the knox counter tripped lmao. And if you want the quickest firmware file downloads, check out this thread. About a 5 minute download versus anywhere from 2-8 hours from any other host (seriously, it's awful).

Reactions: eb4k3d

bbwarfield

Dec 10, 2013
How can I know when the flash is done?

Thank you for this helpful guide. I used this to upgrade my Samsung Tab 4 8.0 from 4.4.2 KitKat to Lollipop 5.1.1.

May I suggest, OP, adding a note on how to know when the flashing is over. I mistakenly thought that all the boxes on the top half (the row that begins with with a green "Pass" box) would all be colored. But the users should know that the flash is over when you see the green Pass box.

Please see my attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Odin3_Done.png
    Odin3_Done.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 2,734

ozzymoron

Jul 13, 2013
New Orleans
I played chess with my cat.... and lost. Thank you for this, my Tab has been shut away in shame for a while, and I decided to bring it back out again.

Pix12

Dec 20, 2015
Just wait and it will come lol, theres no hardware limitation on tab 4 7,0 so 5.1.1 will fall for us, just wait till samsung makes it or till CM12.1 is ready in xda
Yeah... Right. The t-230nu has less powerful hardware and its 2016 and lolipop hasnt even come.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Head.jpg

Hello guys, with this guide you can restore Stock Firmware Images for all Galaxy Tab 4 Series.

This is useful to restore firmware in case something goes wrong, if you flash a custom ROM and it fails, or, for example, if Samsung decides to update this devices to Lollipop. For this you also will need stock untouched firmware.

Pre-requisites:

1) Make a backup of everything you consider important: Apps, photos, music, etc.
    2) Download drivers for your specific device from HERE, install the drivers and reboot your PC to apply changes.
    3) Download Odin 3.0.9, it is attached below in this post, and extract it.
    4) Download the firmware image for your specific device from HERE and extraxt the file inside, it should be a huge 1GB+ size *.tar.md5 file.
    5) Make sure your device's battery is at 60% or more.
    6) Enable USB Debugging on Settings > General > Developer Options (If you can't find Developer Options menu, go to Settings > General > About Device and tap several times on Build Number, then it will tell you Dev Options is enabled).

Lets start:

1) Run Odin 3.09 as Administrator (in Windows right click on Odin icon and select "Run as Administrator")
    2) Turn off your tablet and now turn it on in Download Mode (press Home + Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time until the tablet turns on, then when prompted, press Volume Up button to proceed)
    3) Now connect your tablet to PC via USB cable. Odin should show a plugged device and an ADDED! message, like this:

001.png

If you can't get Odin to recognise your device, check which drivers you installed or try another USB cable.

4) Make sure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected, like this:

002.png

5) Now check the AP option and press the AP button to find and select the firmware image (the *.tar.md5 file you extracted earlier), when you select the image, Odin will check if it has errors. If everything is OK, it should say it succesfully checked it, like this:

003.png

6) You are ready to rock, so, hit the START button and wait...
    7) Go, watch TV, chat with friends, make a sandwich or play Chess with your cat.
    8) Once completed, you will see the Pass! message in ID:COM section, with a green background. Your tablet should auto reboot automatically.
    9) Unplug your tablet.
    10) Enjoy all the bloatware once again!

Thanks for reading and if you have doubts, let us know in the comments.

Cheers!!!
    Hi,
    I wanted to do this but when I went to get the firmware image, it was not there. I got a 404 file not found. Where else can I get the file?
    Thanks!

Lollipop firmware files: http://xdaforums.com/tab-4/general/links-galaxy-tab-4-official-lollipop-5-t3102844

KitKat firmware files: http://xdaforums.com/tab-4/general/links-stock-galaxy-tab-4-firmware-t3013128
    Thank You!

Thanks Man! Custom ROMS are fun but it sucks when something is not working right that which was working perfectly in the Stock ROM. Will wait patiently. hope Lollipop comes to SM-T230NU soon

it come in 6 months (might come tomorrow, after month any time), i promise :)
    @raylogic

Samsung kies / smart switch (don't remember which one) has an emergency restore option.

- Had to use it once. ;) (About a year or year and a half ago.)

Enter model and serial number, wait for it to verify device, wait, wait and wait some more.
    (If I remember right, it failed the first two times.)

The last one I flashed, and still using, on my T230nu was T230NUOVU0AOG1_T230NUBNN0AOG1_HOME.tar.md5

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Labs