[WEBTOOL][RESOURCES] Strings.xml Builder and Translator [OPENSOURCE]

Search This thread

rignaneseleo

Apr 25, 2014
Bologna
StringsXmlBuilder
What is?
StringsXmlBuilder is a web tool that allows anyone to easily translate the resources of your app.

Why?
I'm new to the world of Android applications and after a few months after published my first app (SlimSocial for Facebook) I started to have the need to get help to translate my app but I realized that it is not easy and the hand of all, translate an app with a notepad, especially if it contains a lot of strings.
So I tought: why don't create a web tool to make the translation of strings.xml files more handy and faster?

How?
I had never done anything in php, so this could be an occasion to use it and study it (sorry if the code is not optimized or contains stupid things :silly:). It works well, now it is a BETA and I want to see if you can find it usefull.

Some features:
- Already translate all strings, you just have to make sure it is correct.
- Possibility to translate starting from already translated file (useful to update translation)
- Don't translate the strings with translatable="false"
- Maintains the order.
- The apostrophes are written with the \ before.
- Writes only translated strings.

The code is fully published on my GITHUB. Improvement and advice are much appreciated :good:

Screenshoot
StringsXmlBuilder.jpg

How can I use it?
1. Upload your strings.xml on github or in other cloud
2. Get the url of the xml file (on github you can get it using the ROW button) (you need => this)
3. Paste the url and the desidered language on StringsXmlBuilder form
4. Now you just have to check and fix the strings wrong

How can I use it more quickly?
Some developers put in thier app the possibility to translate leading directly to the xml file: it's unlikely that any novice user knows how to do it.
With StringsXmlBuilder you can prepare the translation so who translate can immediately translate spending less time.

You can easly build your app translation link:
- To allow people to choose the language:

- To prepare the builder for a generic translation (with all fields empty, without automatic translations):

- To prepare the builder for a specific language (with all fields empty):
http://stringsxmlbuilder.site88.net/builder.php?originalXmlURL=XML_LINK&translationLang=TRANSLATION_LANGUAGE

Give me a feedback!
Improve my code on GitHub

Don't forget the THANKS :)

Last edited:

rignaneseleo

Apr 25, 2014
Bologna
From now, you can translate a strings.xml starting from an old one.
It is usefull for translating long files (that require many days) and also for who has only to update a translation.

Enjoy

komisarov

Jun 11, 2016
The tool is pretty good, but there are two things I would find useful. First is ability to add file from your computer and the second is possibility to display some explanation for the strings. Some of them can be difficult to translate when taken out of context so you have to check it inside the app. I'm not sure if that function would make sense though as the explanations would probably have to be written in the strings.xml file, making it bigger and harder to read.
PS. Also noticed one small mistake - it says "translaction" instead of "translation" ;)

Reactions: rignaneseleo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    StringsXmlBuilder
    What is?
    StringsXmlBuilder is a web tool that allows anyone to easily translate the resources of your app.

Why?
    I'm new to the world of Android applications and after a few months after published my first app (SlimSocial for Facebook) I started to have the need to get help to translate my app but I realized that it is not easy and the hand of all, translate an app with a notepad, especially if it contains a lot of strings.
    So I tought: why don't create a web tool to make the translation of strings.xml files more handy and faster?

How?
    I had never done anything in php, so this could be an occasion to use it and study it (sorry if the code is not optimized or contains stupid things :silly:). It works well, now it is a BETA and I want to see if you can find it usefull.

Some features:
    - Already translate all strings, you just have to make sure it is correct.
    - Possibility to translate starting from already translated file (useful to update translation)
    - Don't translate the strings with translatable="false"
    - Maintains the order.
    - The apostrophes are written with the \ before.
    - Writes only translated strings.

The code is fully published on my GITHUB. Improvement and advice are much appreciated :good:

Screenshoot
    StringsXmlBuilder.jpg

How can I use it?
    1. Upload your strings.xml on github or in other cloud
    2. Get the url of the xml file (on github you can get it using the ROW button) (you need => this)
    3. Paste the url and the desidered language on StringsXmlBuilder form
    4. Now you just have to check and fix the strings wrong

How can I use it more quickly?
    Some developers put in thier app the possibility to translate leading directly to the xml file: it's unlikely that any novice user knows how to do it.
    With StringsXmlBuilder you can prepare the translation so who translate can immediately translate spending less time.

You can easly build your app translation link:
    - To allow people to choose the language:

- To prepare the builder for a generic translation (with all fields empty, without automatic translations):

- To prepare the builder for a specific language (with all fields empty):
    http://stringsxmlbuilder.site88.net/builder.php?originalXmlURL=XML_LINK&translationLang=TRANSLATION_LANGUAGE

Give me a feedback!
    Improve my code on GitHub

Don't forget the THANKS :)
    I've update the interface: now is more friendly and minimal.

Give me a feedback :D
    Awesome tool, I just tried it and it works like a charme :) I will use it 4 my next projects :)

Many thanks!!
    The tool is pretty good, but there are two things I would find useful. First is ability to add file from your computer and the second is possibility to display some explanation for the strings. Some of them can be difficult to translate when taken out of context so you have to check it inside the app. I'm not sure if that function would make sense though as the explanations would probably have to be written in the strings.xml file, making it bigger and harder to read.
    PS. Also noticed one small mistake - it says "translaction" instead of "translation" ;)