[ROM] [05 JUL 2020] LineageOS-14.1

Search This thread

CocoBun

Apr 18, 2016
Morganton, North Carolina
Thank you Davey 126 deleting the first Line in updater-script and TWRP3.1 worked well. It's located in
Code:
 \META-INF\com\google\android

Just open the LOS14.1 Apr Zip-File and navigate to the previously mentioned folder and edit your updater-script file.
I unzipped the file edited the updater-script file but after I ziped it back it said invalid zip file format when flashing. Don't I need to use android image kitchen for this? I've never used it before

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thank you Davey 126 deleting the first Line in updater-script and TWRP3.1 worked well. It's located in

I unzipped the file edited the updater-script file but after I ziped it back it said invalid zip file format when flashing. Don't I need to use android image kitchen for this? I've never used it before
Definately don't need Image Kitchen! Just extract zip contents, modify updater-script as directed, repackage and flash. Try a different zip management tool if you are getting errors. Some of the better ones allow you work with individual files vs the entire archive.

I tend to perform this type of work on a speedy host (eg: Win 10) but it's perfectly doable on Android.

Of course rolling back to TWRP 3.0.0-1 or simply booting that version from fastboot (regardless if which version is installed) is the easier option.

If you're adventurous give FlashFire a whirl. On my to-do list for this device. No reason it shouldn't work but need to do a little more reading to insure compatibility.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Speaking of Davey126 can u supply me with a linos 14.1 zip for april 15th with the updater-script first line deleted, I don't really know how to use android kitchen. I screwed up by wiping the system partition in twrp thinking that could fix the error. Also arshileus u might want to use the zip too if he provides a link, I should have messaged him privately. Maybe tomorrow it's 1:30 where I'm at
I'll pass as there are several good workarounds until @ggow or @Hashcode gets a chance to address. Not a fan of having non-official tools floating around.

Last edited:

CocoBun

Apr 18, 2016
Like an idiot I forgot that I zipped the folder I had extracted it to not the contents. I realized that after my last post. Sorry ur right android kitchen isn't needed. I was in a hurry and forgot to notice it. But what is it used for?

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Now play services keep crashing, would flashing open gapps fix it? I tried clearing the data using lucky patcher but that didn't work, what else can I do?
Not sure why you mention/use lucky patcher. Frowned upon at XDA...even for benign purposes as there are other tools that are equally effective.

LinOS for this device does not come with GAaps backed in. I always flash the latest nano build with a install/update. Mitigates a lot of problems that never happened. You can always install additional Google properties from the Play Store and (optionally) migrate them to the system partition. I would stay away from a custom install config as there seems to be issues surrounding their use (based on user reports w/Fire devices).

CocoBun

Apr 18, 2016
Not sure why you mention/use lucky patcher. Frowned upon at XDA...even for benign purposes as there are other tools that are equally effective.

LinOS for this device does not come with GAaps backed in. I always flash the latest nano build with a install/update. Mitigates a lot of problems that never happened. You can always install additional Google properties from the Play Store and (optionally) migrate them to the system partition. I would stay away from a custom install config as there seems to be issues surrounding their use (based on user reports w/Fire devices).

Heh, I see why there's so many things u can do to cheat developers with it. Anyways I fixed it using the mini open gapps and got play games from apkmirror and installed to system.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Can someone share with me their audio policy conf file? I need it for viper but I forgot to make a backup. Don't suggest flashing I don't really wanna go through all that again...

Necronomynus

Apr 11, 2017
Hà Nội, Vietnam
I found two little bugs, which appear in the APR build on my device:

1. Camera App is generaly working, but when I take a picture it stops unexpected, same in You Cam Selfie and another Camera App
  2. When i want to add a picture to my user-profile as avatar it only works if i use Google Photos for cropping. The OS cropping feature doesn't output the cropped picture to my profile.

Hope I could help a little bit.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
how is the battery life in this ROM ?
All of the custom ROMs for this device realize power utilization consistent with the underlying version of Android. LineageOS is based on Android 7.1 and thus reflects the latest (and arguably best) native power management capabilities.

Don't get drawn into the faux belief that well packaged ROMs have a significant impact on battery life. Kernels, configuration, settings (eg: panel brightness), apps and user behavior are the biggest factors impact power utilization along with underlying device characteristics.

pechter

May 3, 2014
New Fire HDX 7" -- 4.5.5.2 -- want to go to Lineage 14.1

Got the new Fire HDX 7 yesterday and powered it up and plugged it in to charge and the thing autoupgraded from 4.5.3 to 4.5.5.2.

I'm following the bootloader unlock and I've done TWRP and
CWM on phones and Nook ovation tablets. Looks like Amazon's guys REALLY locked this little beast down.

How risky is trying to force a download to 4.5.5.1 so I can get it with Kingroot? Should I wait until someone gets this cracked or is there a way to root the tablet. It's a beautiful tablet with only the software making it less than perfect for me.

The Nook is so much slower than the Thor... I'm amazed how much faster it seems than my phone.

I've got a mail app which supports PGP/GPG which I want to get on here but that keeps going to only the Play store for upgrades and license checks.

Thanks for any help.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Got the new Fire HDX 7 yesterday and powered it up and plugged it in to charge and the thing autoupgraded from 4.5.3 to 4.5.5.2.

I'm following the bootloader unlock and I've done TWRP and
CWM on phones and Nook ovation tablets. Looks like Amazon's guys REALLY locked this little beast down.

How risky is trying to force a download to 4.5.5.1 so I can get it with Kingroot? Should I wait until someone gets this cracked or is there a way to root the tablet. It's a beautiful tablet with only the software making it less than perfect for me.

The Nook is so much slower than the Thor... I'm amazed how much faster it seems than my phone.

I've got a mail app which supports PGP/GPG which I want to get on here but that keeps going to only the Play store for upgrades and license checks.

Thanks for any help.
Think the device is fast now? Wait 'till you load a custom ROM. :)

KingRoot is effective against FireOS 4.5.5.2; might take many attempts/iterations as the algorithm used to identify vulnerabilities and associated exploits is inefficient (nearly random) and not optimized for FireOS. What KingRoot is really looking for are vulnerabilities in Android 4.4.x which is the base for FireOS v4.5.x. Likely only a handful that work against FireOS given Amazon has closed some well known Android vulnerabilities. You can also try the tether desktop (Windows) variant which often yields better results. Downside is the non-English UI which can be a bit intimidating.

However, a downgrade it 3.2.8 is relatively trivial and offers easy rooting which is the only soft prerequisite to unlocking the bootloader (please ask for details as it's also easy to brick the device). It's also possible to unlock a non-rooted device but the procedure is more complex and unfamiliar to many.

Recommendation: Continue attempts with KingRoot. If unsuccessful downgrade to FireOS 3.2.8 and continue from there.

Reactions: pechter

pechter

May 3, 2014
Going to have to roll it back.

I put up 4.5.5.2 and rooted it but the mail app doesn't work.
Seems to crash almost immediately. I'm playing with the google
apps and play store to see if it fixes it.

If I go back to 13.3.2.8 is there a good doc on moving to Lineage
or CyanogenMod.

I'm pretty comfortable with CWM and TWRP and did CM10->14
on the Nook HDplus.

Sounds like Lineage 14.1 may be the way to go.
Got a pointer to the best thread on bootrom unlocking...
Thanks again...

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I tried to install that and it stucks at kindle fire screen
Return to TWRP, wipe system and data partitions then reflash LinOS 14.1. You will also need a GAaps package which should be flashed at the *same time*, before LinOS 14.1 is booted for the first time. Recommend Nano build as it is compact yet contains all the essentials. See link below; be sure to select arm/7.1/nano via radio buttons before downloading; otherwise you'll likely get the wrong build. You can transfer the GAaps zip to your HDX via tether while it is booted into TWRP.

http://opengapps.org

Practically

Apr 22, 2017
Return to TWRP, wipe system and data partitions then reflash LinOS 14.1. You will also need a GAaps package which should be flashed at the *same time*, before LinOS 14.1 is booted for the first time. Recommend Nano build as it is compact yet contains all the essentials. See link below; be sure to select arm/7.1/nano via radio buttons before downloading; otherwise you'll likely get the wrong build. You can transfer the GAaps zip to your HDX via tether while it is booted into TWRP.

I did but it still stuck . how lond would it take ? i've been waiting for 10 mins

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I did but it still stuck . how lond would it take ? i've been waiting for 10 mins
Should progress in ~1-2 min (at most). Return to TWRP, wipe system and data partitions again and then flash self contained Fire Nexus ROM (link below). If that one starts ok it suggests the bootloader is not unlocked on your device.

Note Fire Nexus has GAaps and SuperSU built in; no need to flash additional zips.

https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-ktu84q-t3322931

Practically

Apr 22, 2017

Should progress in ~1-2 min (at most). Return to TWRP, wipe system and data partitions again and then flash self contained Fire Nexus ROM (link below). If that one starts ok it suggests the bootloader is not unlocked on your device.

Note Fire Nexus has GAaps and SuperSU built in; no need to flash additional zips.

https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-ktu84q-t3322931
I got error 7 sory for bothering you

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

It works thank @Davey126

yoyohoho

Jan 14, 2017
Framework addition for Lineage 14.1?

I'm working on using my thor device with Google Daydream. It works great as a Google cardboard device with a much better FOV then is possible with a phone. I found that if I delete Google VR Services that many Daydream apps will run, however they run in full screen mode, not 3D. If I activate 3D, they all crash. The logs say that Framework/tcmclient.jar and Framework/connectionExt.jar are not installed.

My question (before I spend 4 weeks learning how to build an Android kernel): is there any reason why tcmclient and connectionExt were left out (or can't be added) from the Lineage 14.1 build?

BTW, thanks for all your work in getting 14.1 to work on thor, I love it :)

Thanks,
yoyohoho

pechter

May 3, 2014
Crap. Bricked. Any thoughts or just chuck it.

Think the device is fast now? Wait 'till you load a custom ROM. :)

However, a downgrade it 3.2.8 is relatively trivial and offers easy rooting which is the only soft prerequisite to unlocking the bootloader (please ask for details as it's also easy to brick the device). It's also possible to unlock a non-rooted device but the procedure is more complex and unfamiliar to many.

Damn... I rolled it back to 3.2.8 and rooted it. Started to install the play store and unfortunately looked at the updates to see there were none... It found one. Crap.

Tried to figure how to kill 'em before it applied and I couldn't.

While I was feeding the #$%$ cats it updated to 13.3.4.1 and bricked. No power on. USB connected to pc and it only powers up while I hold the button on. No data on screen at all. Any suggestions?

My fault for not keeping a closer eye on it.

Bill

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Damn... I rolled it back to 3.2.8 and rooted it. Started to install the play store and unfortunately looked at the updates to see there were none... It found one. Crap.

Tried to figure how to kill 'em before it applied and I couldn't.

While I was feeding the #$%$ cats it updated to 13.3.4.1 and bricked. No power on. USB connected to pc and it only powers up while I hold the button on. No data on screen at all. Any suggestions?

My fault for not keeping a closer eye on it.
Sorry for your loss. Device is a write-off; there is no known recovery method for this type of brick. Maintaining network isolation is essential following a 3.2.8 rollback. Hence the advisory in my original post. Hopefully future readers may learn from your misfortune; history suggests otherwise.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

I'm working on using my thor device with Google Daydream. It works great as a Google cardboard device with a much better FOV then is possible with a phone. I found that if I delete Google VR Services that many Daydream apps will run, however they run in full screen mode, not 3D. If I activate 3D, they all crash. The logs say that Framework/tcmclient.jar and Framework/connectionExt.jar are not installed.

My question (before I spend 4 weeks learning how to build an Android kernel): is there any reason why tcmclient and connectionExt were left out (or can't be added) from the Lineage 14.1 build?

BTW, thanks for all your work in getting 14.1 to work on thor, I love it :)
Kernel on this device is Android 4.4.x based which was the foundation for the terminal release of FireOS for 3rd gen HDX. Proprietary binaries have not been updated since; developers have faced significant challenges getting basic interfaces (eg: display; radios) working and stable with higher Android builds. Might be why those Framework libraries were not included in LinOS and possibly serve as a caution to those who wish to construct a custom kernel for this device.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired [B]because the alarm app failed[/B].
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible

Reporting Bugs
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg containing pertinent information regarding the issue...
    - Explain the issue as clearly as possible
    - Explain the steps required to reproduce the issue if necessary.

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Must have an unlocked bootloader
    - Update TWRP to Android-7.1 builds located here. Please make sure to use the recovery image which is appropriate for your device (Thor or Apollo).

Project Status
    BETA TESTING -- QUALITY IS GETTING BETTER BUT TAKE A LOOK AT THE FUNCTIONALITY GRID IN POST #2

KNOWN ISSUES
    - Thor/Apollo: Some apps may rotate to landscape the wrong way leaving the screen upside down. Many times you can re-rotate the device to fix.
    - Thor/Apollo: Sometimes after an extended period of time Wifi will stop working. Toggling airplaine mode fixes it.
    - Thor/Apollo: Bluetooth pairing issues - bluetooth function is still WIP.

Fresh Installation
    - Backup your existing ROM first
    - Wipe the /data partition (but you can keep the media storage)
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash Open Gapps: use an ARM 7.1 version smaller than the "full" size to make sure it fits
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!

LineageOS Developer Builds / Downloads
    LineageOS Builds for Thor
    LineageOS Builds for Apollo

Gapps
    - Open Gapps (use a size smaller than "Full" to make sure it fits)

NOTE: Here's what I do to solve the "Play Games" side load issue... Anytime I update my GApps zip file:
    - I download the "full" and "mini" versions of GApps
    - Extract the "GApps/playgames-arm.tar.lz" file from the "full" file and add it to the "GApps" folder of the "mini" file.
    - Open the installer.sh script in the "mini" file and move the "playgames" line from the full_gapps_list= section into the mini_gapps_list= section
    - I use this modified "mini" .zip when flashing CM-14.1 ROMs so that my Play Games install always works.

Source Code (branch: cm-14.1)
    - Kernel Source
    - Common Device Tree
    - Thor Device Tree
    - Apollo Device Tree

Credits
    - LineageOS Team
    - Cyanogenmod Team
    - CodeAurora
    - ggow
    - Cpasjuste
    - dpeddi

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for Kindle HDX 3rd Gen, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    Hashcode, ggow
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2016-12-16

Created 2016-12-11
    Last Updated 2020-07-05
    New Build is Up

- Dated 15 March 2018
    - Security patches up to March 2018
    - Upstream Lineage Updates
    NOTE: I am working on Lineage-15.1, will let you know when I have made more progress. I have started pushing commits here.
    @ggow @Hashcode
    hey there, are you alright?
    hows going. i hope you both are fine.
    there are any news about oreo or new security updates? :)
    have a nice week.

Hello All,

- For lineage-14.1 - I'm waiting for May 2018 patches before building again.
    - For lineage-15.1, the WiFi bring is proving problematic, number 1 problem is difficult to solve and number 2 new job is taking a lot of bandwidth

I'm still around, promise I won't just disappear without saying ;)
    New Build is Up

- Dated 16 March 2019
    - Security patches up to March 2019
    - Upstream Lineage Updates
    Typically @ggow indicates if support is being curtailed/withdrawn. Don't see that happening anytime soon given the popularity of LineageOS. Frequency is driven by upstream and resource availability. Might be a bit irregular but it will come. :)

Yes, I do not plan to stop HDX development any time soon. I will wait for the March patches to be included then do another build. Things have been slow, I have been promoted at work and so extra bandwidth is been used there and also busy at home.

But remember I'm here still doing what I can in what little time I have :)