How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
you cant just rely on one thread in here, you have to read the entire thread(s) trust me you'll go blindly into doing what three guys said in a post only to find out it bricked your device, thats why you have to read the whole thread(s) , I know it suck, wish you could just look at a post and your done , but if you truly want to learn , you have read the entire post, these guys dont mind answering questions specific about rooting or roms , but just "how do I root" or where do I begine" wont get answered since the information is all over xda!

schoei1

Apr 3, 2010
I exchanged my Acer A100 tablet with a A500 and love it, but it comes stock with HC3.2. Is there a way to install HC3.1 so I can root it?

After reading multi threads, I was able to revert back to HC3.0.1 and got my Acer rooted. But, after installing Acer Recovery Installer, it would not run because of all the forced closed apps, including superuser. The message is that superuser is outdated, I am wondering if the latest superuser works with the Acer a500? The latest superuser has major problems with my HTC Sensation, I have to user an older superuser for it to run properly on my Sensation, so I wasn't sure if it is was ok to upgrade superuser.

I then decided to upgrade the system to HC3.1 and was running smooth after rooting and installing ClockworkMod Recovery. The only thing I didn’t like, was that with HC3.1 the computer doesn’t recognize the external drive on the Acer via USB, so you have to remove it to install microSD. So, I finally decided to go back to HC3.2 and wait for root.

Last edited:

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
You should have read some more. There are pre-rooted 3.2 ROM's on here that, other than rooted and using a custom kernel, are completely stock.

Reactions: lanisan

schoei1

Apr 3, 2010
You should have read some more. There are pre-rooted 3.2 ROM's on here that, other than rooted and using a custom kernel, are completely stock.

After doing more reading last night, I found the US stock pre-rooted ROM and installed it late last night. It must have been around 3am, and it only took about a 1/2hr to get it all done without even loosing any data. Now that I got a good 5hrs of sleep, it's time to dig into some of the goodies. :)

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Been here a hell of a lot longer than you, boyo. You're meant to search for things before asking gormless questions that 100's of people have already asked, try reading the rules.

New here?

With so many people talking about so many different things, on and off topic, spot on or slightly off, how is a newbie ever going to find answers to such questions? At least they got the right thread.

New here?
;-)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA Premium App

lanisan

Jun 22, 2007
The Artic North
Been here a hell of a lot longer than you, boyo. You're meant to search for things before asking gormless questions that 100's of people have already asked, try reading the rules.

New here?

I'm gonna say it once regardles s of how long ,my *current* membership has been.. you're a ****ing douche and always have been in every thread I've ever read. You're rude, disrespectf:cool:ul to other members and in general a ****.. why do you even stay on a shared resource system to only disrespect others? Go away!!!!

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Another rude snide response.. not useful in any remote way..

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
^ Yeah, like I care what you think.

Do yourself a favour and put me on ignore if you don't like my posts.

Last edited:

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
Im not defending the Floater , at the same time , alot of people come in here expecting the answers theyve been looking for (for about 10 minutes) and read 3 posts , follow those three post and brick there device , then they either bad mouth xda or talk **** forever about how bad the device is and nobody knows **** about anything , they have this attitude that "I want it now, mommy ,I want it now" , well you cant have it now junior , read the whole goddamn article first , then if you have a question ask it, pm the the guys in the know , but quit looking at one post and trying it out ,bricking your device and then cry because nobody will help you , read , theres tons of info here !!

I was accused like this guy one on the Windows Phone forum as being a newb (on an android question) even though I had been using Linux when it was really called unix, they immediatley tried to correct me , obviously they had never used Unix before!

johny999

Oct 29, 2009
Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277

Hi i have an A500 with android 3.2 i'm trying to root it ,i followed you're steps but the gingerbreak running for at last 30 min didn't give me an error or something .
Can you help ?

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
go to the "revert" thread , follow the directions , then find a rom you want . its fairly easy but you will have to do alot of reading, READ!!!

mythek88

May 13, 2010
go to the "revert" thread , follow the directions , then find a rom you want . its fairly easy but you will have to do alot of reading, READ!!!

I'm in the same shoes with johny9999, I have a newer stock 3.2 iconia, exact rom is acer_a500_7.006.01_com_gen2. Ive been searching and reading lots of threads here on xda for the past 3 hrs, flipping back and forth to try to understand all these things --i'm a newbie.

from what I understand, is that the best way to back up my original stock rom is to use "ACER RECOVERY INSTALLER" app, which is already installed on my iconia. But the app requires root in order for me to back up my stock rom.

then that leads me to this thread, but from what I read....to root 3.2 roms i have to revert back to the older 3.1 roms....but by doing so, how am I going to back up my original stock 3.2 rom? someone please point me to the right direction, all helps are much appreciated!

anoninja118

Mar 31, 2011
L.A.
I'm in the same shoes with johny9999, I have a newer stock 3.2 iconia, exact rom is acer_a500_7.006.01_com_gen2. Ive been searching and reading lots of threads here on xda for the past 3 hrs, flipping back and forth to try to understand all these things --i'm a newbie.

from what I understand, is that the best way to back up my original stock rom is to use "ACER RECOVERY INSTALLER" app, which is already installed on my iconia. But the app requires root in order for me to back up my stock rom.

then that leads me to this thread, but from what I read....to root 3.2 roms i have to revert back to the older 3.1 roms....but by doing so, how am I going to back up my original stock 3.2 rom? someone please point me to the right direction, all helps are much appreciated!

to be honest I don't think you can backup a stock 3.2 system as it requires root which afaik you can only achieve through reverting and rooting first then flashing a new upgraded rom... all I did to do this was download the unstable 3.0.1 rom .zip from the revert thread, extract the update.zip from it and place it on the SD card as well as the Iconiaroot apk, then after downloading the Acer recovery installer from the market (as you might not be able to get to it after the revert so its best to have it already, also your apps will remain until you wipe to flash a new rom) power off the tablet and boot up like you were going into CWM (power + volume down) then it will revert itself... after that run the root apk and use the recovery installer to get CWM, boot into it, wipe, flash the rom of your choice (kernel later too if you want) and you're all done

sorry for long explanation, I know it looks complicated but it takes maybe 15 minutes from stock 3.2 to rooted 3.2 :cool:

sent from my Acer Iconia A500 beast of a tablet via XDA app

mythek88

May 13, 2010
thank you very much for your response, definitely cleared out many confusions for me. After reading more threads, I do realized that at the moment there's no app that can root 3.2 directly. I was able to download some stock 3.2 roms, one rooted and one nonrooted. This is so confusing but at the same time so fun :)

zizo0727

Mar 31, 2009
Ottawa
Does EUU overwite Device ID

Gang,

I tried searching around the forums, but couldn't really get an answer.

Using EUU is obviously a lower level flash that also updates things like bootloaders as well. My question is will device specific attributes like "DeviceID" change when flashing through EUU? I have been able to successfully flash with EUU without issues, but I notice during the startup that my device ID changed. Specifically, when the tab asks me to register with Acer, it reports a different device ID.

This might be something specific to the ROM I am using, but wondering if I just messed up some device specific identifiers. I didn't think this would happen based on articles and instructions I read on EUU, but I am no expert.

If I go back to my stock ROM through the udpate packages, then would I have a stock restored device?

Again sorry if this question has been asked. I am a little paranoid coming from the Galaxy S "efs" world where IMEI is stored in both software and hardware.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)