[GUIDE] Get Stock Recovery/Install OTA Updates without losing data.

Did this method work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 33.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

vasujahagirdar

Jan 1, 2009
raichur,karnataka
ota update with cwm

hi everyone
i flashed stock rom india few days back from tmous stock with supercid .with s-off and cwm.after flashing i lost root and cwm.than i got security update.which i couldnt install with stock recovery.so searched many threads couldnt get any solution.than i thought of flashing custom rom so i tried to install revolutionary than root.but after running revolutionary.exe and installing cwm mistakingly i pressed update from sd/update .zip instead of going for rooting zip.to my surprise the update zip (which contained ota file earliear downloaded and renamed as update.zip.)got installed.after rebooting i checked the software version it sucessfully showed the updated version .after than i got an appication update which also got installed automatically.so my device presently S-OFF,CWM.SUPERCID,AND NOT ROOTED.
any experts opinion??

fje

Feb 23, 2007
Put back Stock Recovery, which RUU to use?

Hi, after having put CWM for a while to be able to put my Sensation in Root and S-OFF and to do a Backup of the full system, I want to go back to Stock Recovery, and I'm trying to follow your suggested method.

BUT I have a problem in choosing the apporpiate RUU for the ROM my device had. The official ROM I have is 1.45.75.3, with HBOOT 1.1800 and it is coming from Orange.

The closest ROM I can find in the links with the official ROMs is 1.35.75.1, also from Orange, but this ROM has HBOOT 1.1700.

Can I use the RUU of this ROM for go back to Stock Recovery (as a full ROM flash is not done) or I would enter into troubles as the ROM and the HBOOT are not the same?

If thet ROM cannot be used, what alternative method can I use to go back to Stock Recovery? I already did a factory reset and CWM is still there...

Thanks for any help

JDR0iD

Jan 22, 2011
Cardiff
www.jdr0id.com
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm sure the ruu changes the hboot then u can re root and s off your phone again. I had to put back to stock orange ruu to send my phone back for repair which was older hboot and then s off and re root then installed the latest hboot from mike for ics.

Worked for me.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

Security update for T-mo

Ok, I'm having sort of a sim issue.

My current software is 1.45.531.1 and im hboot 18

I know before I was 17.. But, i dont see my current OS ver. should I be using
1.29.531.2? to which I do have a RUU of this on my desktop.

I have Root, and S-off... What I want to do is update my phone with the current TMO update. Then worst case, use the supertool.exe to get root back.

If anyone would like to help a newb out, that would be great. PM...I'm not above small donations. Or heck, if your local... Stop on by. HA HA HA

really, and help, would be great. Let me know if im shorting out some details.

heldopsokken

Dec 11, 2008
Hi,

I've tried both methodes, but it did not work.
It seems that I'm unable to flash the recovery image:

e:\!htc sensation\ADB-Windows>fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img
sending 'recovery' (5428 KB)... OKAY [ 1.501s]
writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 1.818s

Any hints on how to fix this?

namila007

Jan 4, 2011
kurunegala
OnePlus 9
Hey.i have deleted lot of stock apps in my TMous sensation 4g. so. this want work in my phone unless i install them back??? can anyone provide these apps:-
-tMobile My Account, Telenav gps ,Lookout Security, T-Mobile TV,

if anyone can post a full list of stock apps in TMOBILE sensation4g

lockab

Apr 24, 2010
Memphis, TN.
I had original stock rom backup with super user after using revolutionary tool with s-off no super cid. My hboot was 17.1111.1. After using tmobile 1.29.9351 recovery image it ran through process and said done, wait for phone to reboot in to recovery, however it just reboot into stock rom 1.45.9035.1. The OTA 14mb by t mobile was there to install. It install and said sucessfully update to 1.50.9035.1. I attempted to reboot into recovery but triangle with red popped up. With power button and volume button held it shows Locked, Pryamid PVT SHIP S-OFF RL, HBOOT 1.18.0000. I tried several times to run revolutionary tool which I used before coping and pasting generated key, however it continues to say invalid key. Question 1, with s-off show why is it locked and what can be done to get root again.

dkephart

Jun 21, 2010
Land O'Lakes
I had original stock rom backup with super user after using revolutionary tool with s-off no super cid. My hboot was 17.1111.1. After using tmobile 1.29.9351 recovery image it ran through process and said done, wait for phone to reboot in to recovery, however it just reboot into stock rom 1.45.9035.1. The OTA 14mb by t mobile was there to install. It install and said sucessfully update to 1.50.9035.1. I attempted to reboot into recovery but triangle with red popped up. With power button and volume button held it shows Locked, Pryamid PVT SHIP S-OFF RL, HBOOT 1.18.0000. I tried several times to run revolutionary tool which I used before coping and pasting generated key, however it continues to say invalid key. Question 1, with s-off show why is it locked and what can be done to get root again.

Read the sticky about this. You will find that you need to install clockwork mod recovery (5.0.0.8) by copying its P58IMG.ZIP file to the root folder of your SD card, then rebooting into hboot (Down volume+power key) and pressing Up volume rocker to flash. Delete the P58IMG.ZIP file from your SD card, then you will be able to go into recovery, flash su, and be rooted again.

Yrs,
dkephart

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

Reactions: lockab

kojigushi

May 24, 2008
I have a cincinnati Bell phone and want to get the rom . which one I should use?
I rooted it and have clockwork recovery now.
I have unused Sensation as well, how can I extract from that.

Android 2.3.4
HTC Sense 3.0
Software number 1.45.422.2
Kernel 2.6.35.13-g58f7422
Basband 10.56.9035.00U_10.14.9035.01_M
Build 1.45.422.2 CL 146073 release -keys
Browser Webkit/533.1

lockab

Apr 24, 2010
Memphis, TN.
When I rooted my phone for the first time with revolutionary s-off, I used clockwork mod recovery and backup my original rom with super user and busy box. Later about a month later when I checked backup for updates the tmobile 14mb update was there to install. It wont update while rooted so I used android recovery manager lastest version and used recovery image US tomobile 1.29.5312. Flash the image and was able to install the 14mb that I had previously downloaded. My s-off status remained s-off. When I needed root againn I used CWM PG58IMG 5.0.2 flash it , then deleted it off sdcard, rebooted and flashed CWM again to lastest version and I was rootted again. Hope this helped

akashastrega

Jun 16, 2006
FRESNO, CA
Starting to panic

How long is this process??? I followed all the directions, and my phone has been sitting for almost an hour now...stuck on Flashing Recovery **DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE**

lockab

Apr 24, 2010
Memphis, TN.
First of all its very quick, about 5 min. Did you use your original stock rom or a RUU. Original stock rom must have all appications it came with. I read the method of using RUU however did not use that process. If you need more assistance, message me and I try to be more detail. But it does work and I'm waiting to use it again once the official OTA from T mobile is released for ICS 4.0 that expected for the Senasation at the end of March.

wickedmanny

Nov 7, 2011
Melbourne
Great tool.
Just a quick update, if you are unable to find the RUU you should download the new update extract it and use the recovery file in the update with this software. I used recovery within the update to go back to stock recovery and apply the update. Please hit thanks if you find this helpful.

ramzy101

Jun 14, 2012
nashville
i want to use recovery manager but i cant find my software number it is 3.32.531.1471 in recovery manager i am on t mobile us

Last edited:

mhigie

Jul 2, 2007
re:stock recovery

my phone is not rooted..so the device needs to be S-OFF first before doing the stock recovery..after the update can it be S-ON again?tia

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installing OTA updates while having Custom Recovery (ex. ClockWork mod) is not possible. You need Stock Recovery to install the OTA update.
    I'll be showing you how to install Stock Recovery, and how to get back to ClockWork mod, without the need of flashing a total new stock ROM (RUU).

Please read this very well before starting:
    * I'm not responsible about anything that may happen to your device, please don't follow this guide if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
    * This guide is for Windows users only. If you can get the official "recovery.img" or "recovery_signed.img" from somewhere else, then you can follow the guide (b) and start from step 5.
    * If you're on Custom ROM, this will not work for you. Go flash an RUU instead.
    * Please download the OTA update zip file before starting.
    * If you deleted any system apps before, doing an OTA update will probably fail with Status 7. In this case, you'll have to restore the deleted apps as they were. If it still doesn't help, you'll have to flash an RUU and then do the OTA update.
    * After flashing the OTA, you'll need to run Revolutionary to install custom hboot giving you permissions to flash recoveries and other things through fastboot. (IT IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO USE "Android Recovery Manager" to flash ClockWorkMod after updating)

To start, you can either follow guide "a" or guide "b". Following guide "a" is easier, safer and faster, I personally recommend it.
    (a)
    Getting stock Recovery using Android Recovery Manager
    1. Download Android Recovery Manager.
    2. Open the application.
    3. Click on Start!.
    4. Click on Download a recovery
    5. Select your Software Version from the list.
    6. The application will tell you what to do next.
    7. When the application finishes flashing, press <No> which will reboot into recovery.

Installing OTA Update
    8. When you see the (!) hold <Power> button and Press Volume UP. (If this doesn't work Press Volume UP then <Power> button)
    9. Go to "Apply update from sdcard" and press <Power> button.
    10. Choose your "update.zip" and press <Power> button.

(b)
    Getting stock Recovery manually
    Download your stock RUU from here or here.

If you don't have adb, please follow from step 1 to 3 in Step 4 in this thread.

1. Once you downloaded RUU open it and wait until you get to the "View Readme" page where there is the picture of an HTC device.
    2. Go to your temp folder (Generally on Win 7 it's in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp")
    3. Look manually for folders that have lots of characters in that format: "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX}".
    4. One of them should have another folder in it and 2 files, this folder should be in that same format "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX} too.
    5. There should be in that folder something named "rom.zip" or "firmware.zip", open it up, and extract the "recovery_signed.img" or "recovery.img" to your ADB folder which is usually in C:\adb
    6. Go to C:\adb and make sure that "recovery_signed.img" file is there. If not, repeat step 5.
    7. Open command prompt (Press the start Logo on your keyboard + R, then write cmd and press enter) and type "cd C:\adb" {without quotes}
    8. Ensure your phone is switched on (regular home screen) and connect it by USB in charging mode (Ensure USB Debugging is On by going on your phone to Settings -> Applications -> Development and Check USB Debugging).
    9. Enter the command "adb devices". This is to confirm your phone is connected. (It should come back with list of devices attached and your serial number)
    10. Enter this command "adb reboot bootloader" and wait until it reads on your phone fasboot USB.
    11. Then enter this command "fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img" or "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" depending on the name of the .img you extracted and wait.
    12. Enter this command "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

You should have something similar to this.

Installing OTA Update
    13. After doing step 12, you'll be on fastboot and have BOOTLOADER highlighted. Press on <Power> Button.
    14. Press Volume Down, and highlight RECOVERY, then click <Power> button.
    15. When you see the (!) hold <Power> button and Press Volume UP. (If this doesn't work Press Volume UP then <Power> button)
    16. Go to "Apply update from sdcard" and press <Power> button.
    17. Choose your "update.zip" and press <Power> button.

Run revolutionary and then ClockWorkMod can be installed using ARM (Android Recovery Manager), just choose ClockWorkMod x.x.x.x from the download page and click "Download and Flash".

Hope it helped ;)
    Please vote and click Thanks if it did :)

Special thanks to prank1, f3nd3r and vslnweb :D
    No Recovery for Europe 1.45.401.3.

Can i flash Europe 1.45.401.2? I´ve tried this but it keeps on waiting for devices, and yes i got HTC drivers properly installed.

Cheers,
    PC

edit: manage to flash stock recovery back using the "b" method :), done the update and it worked.

Another question: future OTA updates will run automatically, or for every ota i must enter hboot and flash update.zip?
    Thanks.
    I have no idea why the application isn't detecting your device.. :/
    But anyway, I'll be adding the recovery for 1.45.401.3 very soon :)

You'll need to click on the Check for Software Updates button as each OTA gets released and follow the updates instructions.. You should flash the update.zip every time a new OTA is released. I'm not sure though.. If anybody knows anything about this, please prove me wrong ;)

Hope it helped :)
    Thanks for your feedback ;)
    My software number is: 1.34.771.1

Thanks.

This seems to be the RUU you need:
    "RUU_Pyramid_H3G_UK_1.34.771.1_R_Radio_10.43a.9007.00U_10.51.9007.27_M3_release_197065_signed.exe"

I couldn't find a better download link than this one, so..
    RUU_Pyramid_H3G_UK_1.34.771.1_R_Radio_10.43a.9007.00U_10.51.9007.27_M3_release_197065_signed.exe

Flash it at your own risk ;)
    If you need anything else, tell me :D
    I dont tested it but it CANT work ;-)

You push recovery_signed.img in your ADB folder and you are trying to flash an recovery.img ;-)

Just a little error .... but confusing for "noobs" ;-)

Read the sticky about this. You will find that you need to install clockwork mod recovery (5.0.0.8) by copying its P58IMG.ZIP file to the root folder of your SD card, then rebooting into hboot (Down volume+power key) and pressing Up volume rocker to flash. Delete the P58IMG.ZIP file from your SD card, then you will be able to go into recovery, flash su, and be rooted again.

Yrs,
    dkephart

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium