[Q] Help&Advice on Kindle Fire 7" HD JB 4.3 Custom Rom

Search This thread

jovo_holmes

Jan 19, 2014
Hello I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on whether I can install a custom rom (Jelly Bean 4.3) on my Amazon Kindle Fire 7" HD, I have rooted it and installed Superuser, Titanium Backup etc. I have been reading instructions all over the web but I am a bit scared to try anything yet with certain things I have read.

To install a custom rom I know you need to install a 2nd-Bootloader and TWRP, but in this tut: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909 it says "This tutorial DOES NOT work for the 2013 HD model, only for the 2012 model. Following the guide with the newer model WILL CAUSE your heart to race after doing so because you'll end up with red screens and/or bootloops. So please, don't do it.".

Well I bought my Amazon Kindle Fire 7" HD in August 2013, does that mean that my Kindle is a 2013 model? if so where can I go from here? any advice would be great

Thank you.

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Here's a way to find out, post the os version that it's running, that is a sure fire way to tell if it's 2012 or 2013.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

jovo_holmes

Jan 19, 2014
I'm wanting to install the latest Android, that's KitKat 4.4 right? Where would be the best place to download the official team rom? Without many issues. And what guide/video do you think I should follow? Thanks

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK so here is the guide I recommend using: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909
2 thing I want you to know ahead of time before doing this, if you don't check the box with the warning text about flashing the boot loader(should be the very first check box) you will get a kindle that when turns on displays a red screen and requires a fastboot cable to fix so make sure to check that box. 2nd thing to mention is put the ROM on the kindle first, if you Don't and the current freedomboot image isn't up to date with the latest amazon os version, then you will boot loop upon reboot and can only get into recovery and its a pain to transfer the ROM in from there if you aren't familiar with adb. I think the latest freedomboot is up to date now though but I'm not sure.

Also the cm for our devices isn't official yet, make sure to get the gapps that go along with it. Anyways here's the ROM link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2543455

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Well books from the amazon store I think you can read with an amazon kindle app(in don't read much besides manga on my kindle so I never used their bookstore, but on my kindle with cm 10.1 that app keeps crashing, might work on a newer version of cm though, think I read it about somewhere on then forum), as for apps purchased in the amazon store you could get them back with the Amazon appstore app, I don't have it anymore, but I think I got it from their website. Otherwise just redownload anything from the Google market you didn't purchase in the amazon app store.