I'm streaming from my phone with my WiFi disabled... anyone else manage to do this?

Search This thread

cmb3497

Sep 18, 2012
Boston
Hey all,

Really weird thing is happening right now with my Chromecast. I started streaming a YouTube playlist of all 82 episodes of Dr. Katz, and when I longpressed home to clear my recent apps, I just clicked the "clear all" button like always. This took the Chromecast icon away from the notification bar and killed my YouTube session, but the video was still streaming. My curiosity piqued, I turned my WiFi off to see what would happen. Lo and behold, the videos are still playing. Anyone have an explanation for this? I'm not complaining, just curious as to how this is even possible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

45ACP1911

Nov 14, 2012
This is perfectly normal and how it's supposed work. You are not streaming from your device but rather your device is the remote. Once the link or signal has been sent to the cc you can go as far as pulling the battery on your device and the video will still play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: cmb3497

cmb3497

Sep 18, 2012
Boston
This is perfectly normal and how it's supposed work. You are not streaming from your device but rather your device is the remote. Once the link or signal has been sent to the cc you can go as far as pulling the battery on your device and the video will still play.

Oh...huh. Well, I sure do feel stupid. I knew CC doesn't "stream" in the traditional sense but for some reason I thought it required the device of origin to always be connected to the same WiFi network as the CC. Anyway, thanks for the heads up guys!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
In the Plex thread we also tested and verified that the Chromecast does not need an internet connection during local streaming from Plex media server on your PC.

It does need an internet connection to phone home to Google when you first connect to the Plex media server on your local network. But after that it will keep on interacting with the controller and playing new selections from the server over the local wifi network even with the internet disconnected. It only needs to connect to the internet again if you disconnect the controller from the Chromecast and then try to reconnect it. At that point the Chromecast goes to black screen and freezes in a wait state if there is no internet connection. But it resumes the local connection seamlessly if you restore the internet connection.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I knew CC doesn't "stream" in the traditional sense but for some reason I thought it required the device of origin to always be connected to the same WiFi network as the CC.
It's only the case (that the device of origin needs to stay connected) when "forwarding" video from another source and when the source data exists on the origin device. For example, Avia can pull from a DLNA source and push that to Chromecast, and both Avia and RealPlayer Cloud can cast local files to Chromecast.

If Chromecast is using its regular "optimized" playback from a streaming provider (HBO GO, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Viki, Pandora, etc) then the origin device is not needed after the cast starts. That's one of the things I like about Chromecast - you can start playback on one device then move to another device to control playback if you want or need to (for example, your kid decides they really want to play Angry Birds on your phone).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is perfectly normal and how it's supposed work. You are not streaming from your device but rather your device is the remote.
    Exactly this. It's also in the FAQ Part 1, 1.d :)