[DEV][PORTING][I9300] Linux 3.4.x/3.1x.x Kernel for i9300/ feature requests welcome

Search This thread

markey97

Oct 30, 2012
Hey Guys and Girls!

I own this device since quite a short time and i wanted to ask if any developer is willing to port the 3.4.x kernel to our S3 i9300, since it would bring us some big performance, stability and security enhancements since we are stuck at 3.0.101. We would really profit of this as its much more actual and better for coming upgrades. Please correct me if there are already some devs trying to port this or if anything else is wrong.
My previous device was/is the Samsung Galaxy S Plus and we got a 3.4.x kernel that runs very well and gave us some big improvements. We officially only got Android 2.3.6 with a 2.6.x kernel and our great devs managed to found a dev team and to bring us a fully working 3.0.x and 3.4.x kernel and Android 4.0 to latest 4.4.
I could provide some github repositories and some more additional info if needed, just PM me if you want to start on this. I can't code or compile that much but i could provide nearly everything you need in my opinion.

Greets,
markey97

Edit: I can try to port this on my own but i think that i most likely need YOUR help. Just to have that said
Edit2: I mean the international S3 i9300
Edit3: Changed title
Edit4: Base for the kernel is there! Developement will start slowly in the following days/weeks and source will be pushed to github in some time.
Edit5: I will port this on my own, if anyone wants/ is willing to help me, PM me. I will show you my detailed progress here and will maybe give an ETA, but if i don't, don't ask for it since i also have private live, and i will code and provide you with info when I'm free and when i want to.

Feel free to post feature requests/suggestions over here in the thread!!

Last edited:

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hey Guys and Girls!

I own this device since quite a short time and i wanted to ask if any developer is willing to port the 3.4.x kernel to our S3 since it would bring us some big performance, stability and security enhancements since we are stuck at 3.0.101. We would really profit of this as its much more actual and better for coming upgrades. Please correct me if there are already some devs trying to port this or if anything else is wrong.
My previous device was/is the Samsung Galaxy S Plus and we got a 3.4.x kernel that runs very well and gave us some big improvements. We officially only got Android 2.3.6 with a 2.6.x kernel and our great devs managed to found a dev team and to bring us a fully working 3.0.x and 3.4.x kernel and Android 4.0 to latest 4.4.
I could provide some github repositories and some more additional info if needed, just PM me if you want to start on this. I can't code or compile that much but i could provide nearly everything you need in my opinion.

Greets,
markey97

Edit: I can try to port this on my own but i think that i most likely need YOUR help. Just to have that said

are you talking about the S3 LTE phone? the one that has an exynos4 cpu? I'm definitely interested in this! I've been looking and trying to port over a 3.4.x+ kernel since the 3.0.101 is at EOL.

Reactions: scariola

markey97

Oct 30, 2012
are you talking about the S3 LTE phone? the one that has an exynos4 cpu? I'm definitely interested in this! I've been looking and trying to port over a 3.4.x+ kernel since the 3.0.101 is at EOL.

Thats exactly the way i think about it, we need a more actual kernel on our devices, not just a newer Android version to stay on the safe side, but i a also have to disappoint you, because i meant the i9300. But we could definitely together try to port it also to the i9305 which you meant, right?

Greets,
markey97

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thats exactly the way i think about it, we need a more actual kernel on our devices, not just a newer Android version to stay on the safe side, but i a also have to disappoint you, because i meant the i9300. But we could definitely together try to port it also to the i9305 which you meant, right?

Greets,
markey97

yeah, sorry, in actually running the t0ltevzw (Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2). same processor, just clocked a tad higher. i looked at the sgs+ and saw it's running a Qualcomm cpu, so it may be harder to implement what the devs of the sgs+ put into affect, but I'm ready to learn and hack my way around.

nonyhaha

Oct 24, 2007
Bucharest
Could anyone be so kind to enlighten me why this thread about "i9300" appeares in every note 2 forum on xda? each time i want to jump straight to i9300 it gets me first through all the note 2 forums. this is kind of silly.

am i the only one getting to see this thread in the note 2 forums?

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
Could anyone be so kind to enlighten me why this thread about "i9300" appeares in every note 2 forum on xda? each time i want to jump straight to i9300 it gets me first through all the note 2 forums. this is kind of silly.

because this is the s3/note developer only forums.

edit: this get left in the dark?

Last edited:

markey97

Oct 30, 2012

You mean if this thread is dead or the project abandoned?
No its not, i just don't have enough time to work on this till Christmas (school..arggh:mad:) but then i will try to port it in a time span of 2 weeks or so. Lol.
I'm searching for the source base and what I need to port it and then I will start when my holidays start. Yeeeah!:victory::cool:
Greets:highfive:,
markey97

Ricky Divjakovski

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Feb 4, 2013
Sydney
No its not, i just don't have enough time to work on this till Christmas (school..arggh:mad:) but then i will try to port it in a time span of 2 weeks or so. Lol.
I'm searching for the source base and what I need to port it and then I will start when my holidays start. Yeeeah!:victory::cool:
markey97

deleted.

Reactions: davidbaumann

markey97

Oct 30, 2012

That looks promising, big thanks for that info :highfive:
If that's real that it is a 3.4 kernel, our work could get a lot more easier. Downloading the code atm and will check it and report it. And if its 3.4, I will directly start to (try to) "port" it over so that we can have 3.4 kernel by the end of the next week! :thumbsup:

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
If that's real that it is a 3.4 kernel, our work could get a lot more easier. Downloading the code atm and will check it and report it. And if its 3.4, I will directly start to (try to) "port" it over so that we can have 3.4 kernel by the end of the next week! :thumbsup:

The devil kernel for the Note 2 variants has more of a "pseudo-" 3.4.x kernel. DerTeufel has implemented it, but not fully nor do I know if he's going to try to implement it fully.

The only thing that kills the Note 2 variants is that the s3 is OC'd at 1.2GHz while the Note 2 is OC'd at 1.6. but I'll have to check out the above file and see what I can do and possibly change to match the Note 2s.

Or if anyone knows of a device that has the exact same specs as the N710x and has a 3.4 kernel, PM me and I'll respond accordingly!

thanks!

Last edited:

markey97

Oct 30, 2012
The devil kernel for the Note 2 variants has more of a "pseudo-" 3.4.x kernel. DerTeufel has implemented it, but not fully nor do I know if he's going to try to implement it fully.

The only thing that kills the Note 2 variants is that the s3 is OC'd at 1.2GHz while the Note 2 is OC'd at 1.6. but I'll have to check out the above file and see what I can do and possibly change to match the Note 2s.

Or if anyone knows of a device that has the exact same specs as the N710x and has a 3.4 kernel, PM me and I'll respond accordingly!

thanks!
Haha I know that, I'm working together with him ;)
He ported over a whole bunch of "features/updates" from the original 3.4 Kernel and he/we mostlikely want(s) to fully implement everything.

That's no problem at all 'cause DerTeufel will/can easily adapt it to the corresponding device. And the S3's (i9300) standard clock speed is 1.4 GHz ;)
Elsewhere I think all other components are (nearly) the same.

Reactions: ztotherad

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
Haha I know that, I'm working together with him ;)
He ported over a whole bunch of "features/updates" from the original 3.4 Kernel and he/we mostlikely want(s) to fully implement everything.

That's no problem at all 'cause DerTeufel will/can easily adapt it to the corresponding device. And the S3's (i9300) standard clock speed is 1.4 GHz ;)
Elsewhere I think all other components are (nearly) the same.

yeah, with the i9300 international version of the S3, I believe we've got the same CPU, maybe same RAM [but I'm thinking the ram on the i9300 is 1.5GB while on the Note 2 it's 2GB]. idk, I'm going to download the neo source code and check it out later since i'm about to leave to go to work.

psndna88

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 2, 2011
Mumbai
Xiaomi Mi 11i
yeah, with the i9300 international version of the S3, I believe we've got the same CPU, maybe same RAM [but I'm thinking the ram on the i9300 is 1.5GB while on the Note 2 it's 2GB]. idk, I'm going to download the neo source code and check it out later since i'm about to leave to go to work.

s3 has 1 gb ram with exynos 4 soc
s3 neo has 1.5 gb ram with qualcomm soc

Sent from F2FS FORMATED I9300XXUGNB6 NeatROM v7.2 + AGNi pureSTOCK v3.6 kernel

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
s3 has 1 gb ram with exynos 4 soc
s3 neo has 1.5 gb ram with qualcomm soc

Sent from F2FS FORMATED I9300XXUGNB6 NeatROM v7.2 + AGNi pureSTOCK v3.6 kernel

which all together = no 3.4 love for the Note 2 :( damn you samsung! why can't you give us some love! lol.

needless to say though, I'm glad to see that DerTeufel has been able to pseudo-implement the 3.4 kernel into his source. I'm also grateful for our kernel love that awesome devs give us. :)

Reactions: markey97

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys and Girls!

I own this device since quite a short time and i wanted to ask if any developer is willing to port the 3.4.x kernel to our S3 i9300, since it would bring us some big performance, stability and security enhancements since we are stuck at 3.0.101. We would really profit of this as its much more actual and better for coming upgrades. Please correct me if there are already some devs trying to port this or if anything else is wrong.

Greets,
    markey97

Edit2: I mean the international S3 i9300
    Edit3: Changed title
    Edit4: Base for the kernel is there! Developement will start slowly in the following days/weeks and source will be pushed to github in some time.
    Edit5: I will port this on my own, if anyone wants/ is willing to help me, PM me. I will show you my detailed progress here and will maybe give an ETA, but if i don't, don't ask for it since i also have private live, and i will code and provide you with info when I'm free and when i want to.

Feel free to post feature requests/suggestions over here in the thread!!

markey97