Chinese Phone's on US Tmobile 4g

Search This thread

MrStuky

Dec 30, 2011
Hello Guys, was wondering, would you guys recommend a chinese smartphone to use in Tmobile's 4G network? I was thinking of buying rollmid(dot)com/new-arrival-mtk6577-n9776-6-inch-fwvga-smartphone-1-2ghz-dual-core-3200mah-wifi-5-0mp-camera.html
or one of the phones mentioned in some other threads such as Haipai I9220 etc. My question is, would you guys recommend using any chinese smartphone? If so which one would be best for the tmobile 4g network and that can be rooted?

Thanks.

Paul in Maryland

Jul 3, 2008
You and i think alike! I am looking at 6-inch, 854 x 480 phones, or "phablets" . For now, the N9776 appears to be the best: It's shortest (158mm), narrowest (87mm), has the largest battery (3200 mAH), and is the only one with Dolby 5.1 speakers, if the specifications are correct. At about $200 shipped, it's also just about the cheapest.

The CarPad Note5 F6 was the first. It may be the best-built and most intelligently designed, like an Apple product Available with an MTK5675 or MTK5677 dual-core CPU. The LCD is definitely IPS; maybe the others, are, too.

The a9800 and i9800 use the older MTK6575 CPU.

The n9880 (corrected from n9800) has only 260,000 colors, so it is not IPS. But it has 8GB of ROM. The Viewsonic n9880 claims to use an MTK6577; other n9880 variations, only the MTK6575.

All have only 512MB of RAM, even if the seller says 1GB.

Although none has the 1700 MHz band, they all have 2100 and of course 850/1900. I plan to join T-Mobile's $30-a-month prepaid online plan: 5GB of 4G data, only 100MB of voice. Yes, I will only get 2G speeds for now. But where I live and work, in the Washington, DC, area, HSPA+ will migrate to 1900 MHz by January 2013.

A friend of mine advised me, "Don't get a cheap Chinese phone! You'll regret it! A smarphone is difficult to make." But I am a family man; I don't have $600 for a Samsung Note, and even a used Note, at $350 to $450, i s a lot of money. T-Mobile will have a Note with 1700 MHz and 1900 MHz for $250, but only if you accept a 2-year contract. No, thanks.

If 6 inches is too large, by mid August there will be 2, 3, or 4 phones with a 5.3-inch display whose resolution reaches 960 x 540. The best-known of these is the MeePad i5270.

Last edited:

MrStuky

Dec 30, 2011
You and i think alike! I am looking at 6-inch, 854 x 480 phones, or "phablets" . For now, the N9776 appears to be the best: It's shortest (158mm), narrowest (87mm), has the largest battery (3200 mAH), and is the only one with Dolby 5.1 speakers, if the specifications are correct. At about $200 shipped, it's also just about the cheapest.

The CarPad Note5 F6 was the first. It may be the best-built and most intelligently designed, like an Apple product Available with an MTK5675 or MTK5677 dual-core CPU. The LCD is definitely IPS; maybe the others, are, too.

The a9800 and i9800 use the older MTK6575 CPU.

The n9880 (corrected from n9800) has only 260,000 colors, so it is not IPS. But it has 8GB of ROM. The Viewsonic n9880 claims to use an MTK6577; other n9880 variations, only the MTK6575.

All have only 512MB of RAM, even if the seller says 1GB.

Although none has the 1700 MHz band, they all have 2100 and of course 850/1900. I plan to join T-Mobile's $30-a-month prepaid online plan: 5GB of 4G data, only 100MB of voice. Yes, I will only get 2G speeds for now. But where I live and work, in the Washington, DC, area, HSPA+ will migrate to 1900 MHz by January 2013.

A friend of mine advised me, "Don't get a cheap Chinese phone! You'll regret it! A smarphone is difficult to make." But I am a family man; I don't have $600 for a Samsung Note, and even a used Note, at $350 to $450, i s a lot of money. T-Mobile will have a Note with 1700 MHz and 1900 MHz for $250, but only if you accept a 2-year contract. No, thanks.

If 6 inches is too large, by mid August there will be 2, 3, or 4 phones with a 5.3-inch display whose resolution reaches 960 x 540. The best-known of these is the MeePad i5270.

I've seen the youtube reviews, and so far I'm liking these cheap chinese phones! Currently, my sister's and mom's phone and mine took a dumb on us! Since I am on a special plan I have to purchase phones retail price. Do you know if the N9776 is available to be rooted? And have you purchased any of these yet?

Thanks

Paul in Maryland

Jul 3, 2008
I don't know whether the N9776 can be rooted. If it becomes popular, I am sure that someone at XDA will figure out a way.

No, I have not bought yet. I was going to get the N9776 because it's only $200 shipped and "may" have Dolby 5.1 speakers (I don't know how). But now I plan to buy the Note5 F6 because of this comment by XDA member Robarnold:

Everything works well so far -.seems much slicker and quicker than my Haipad (though no complaints about that) Although externally it is only a very little larger than the Haipd the increase in screen size is quite noticeable. It came with ICS but suppliers expect a stable JB rom soon and say they'll provide me with a link."​

and, perhaps even more so, because of the F6's design details explained on the manufacturer's F6 home page.

Last edited:

Laprince

Feb 25, 2012
I bliv it can be rooted , just like u mentioned, once it gains popularity, Rooting procedures will be made available

I don't know whether the N9776 can be rooted. If it becomes popular, I am sure that someone at XDA will figure out a way.

No, I have not bought yet. I was going to get the N9776 because it's only $200 shipped and "may" have Dolby 5.1 speakers (I don't know how). But now I plan to buy the Note5 F6 because of this comment by XDA member Robarnold:

Everything works well so far -.seems much slicker and quicker than my Haipad (though no complaints about that) Although externally it is only a very little larger than the Haipd the increase in screen size is quite noticeable. It came with ICS but suppliers expect a stable JB rom soon and say they'll provide me with a link."​

and, perhaps even more so, because of the F6's design details explained on the manufacturer's F6 home page.

vinski2008

May 5, 2009
I just bought one of these phones.. and yes you can use it on Tmobile.. for safety sake make your purchase through aliexpress.com they have an escrow service that holds your funds until the seller ships the device and you confirm receipt.. if its not to your liking or it never gets sent you can request a refund and they put the cash back on your card.

Back to the phones.. most of the chinese market is built on the MTK processor The current build is the MTK6577 which is their current dual-core @ 1.2ghz the 6577 is single core @1.0ghz DO NOT purchase any phone with MTK6516 that was their first phone processor and is slow as **** on android.. 6575, 6577 and the 6589 (quad-core) due out this december.. make sure the phone has at minimum a 4GB rom because the OS plus the MTK support software will take up half of the internal memory.. I bought a 7" phone tablet (search for A70 mtk6573) and it was decent for a full tablet with calling ability (rare back then) but it 0nly had a 1gb rom ( I learned though) and its okay its just that all programs have to be installed to SD card. Most of the suppliers will root the phones for you too.. Good luck!! I have 3 of them coming monday ..PS.. always choose DHL shipping 3 days from china to your door.. EMS and china post take FOREVER (up to 21 days) and sometimes lose the parcel. its totally worth the extra 25 bucks!!!

Paul in Maryland

Jul 3, 2008
Chinese 6-inch phones: CarPad F6, N9776, and N9880

Great tips, Vinski. I just bought a Star N9880 from Fastcardtech.com and arranged for it to be sent by EMS, which the seller strongly recommends. EMS was at least $15 cheaper than DHL. Here's hoping all goes well. With a spare battery, a case, protective film, and a 4.5 percent Paypal fee (yes, I had to pay it), my total came to about U.S. $275

I had been leaning toward two alternative 6-inchers: The Carpad Note5 F6 and the (Star?) N9776. The Carpad is a class act of design and manufacture; at 256 grams, it's also the heaviest by a good 2 ounces. But in 6577 trim, it would have cost $35 more than the comparably spec'd N9880. More to the point, the F6's designer/developer, "Kay send" (as he's called in the Google translation of the Note5 F6 forum), is continually improving the model (better battery, free second-color back) and hinting at successors. I would have felt like a chump paying a premium for a phone that would soon be eclipsed. The forum members are clamoring for a 6577 version with an IPS display and 960 x 540 resolution, or an MTK6588 version in January with IPS and 1280 x 720. I haven't owned a phone in more than 3 years, and I'm tired of waiting.

Most N9880s come with a slim flip case; that's a plus, since the phone-case aftermarket hasn't caught up with the size of these jumbo phones. In truth, I tried to order an iron-colored N9776 at Rollmid.com. But PayPal reported something like "This seller cannot currently accept payments," and my purchase was automatically canceled. I then almost ordered it from Alibaba for the same price. But on Alibaba it was offered only in white and I saw no way to order the "optional" case. (The case was listed nowhere on rollmid, either.)

N9880s are starting to appear on eBay. But they all use the older, MTK6575 CPU and have only 260,000 colors. The N9776, with 16 million colors, a shorter length, a narrower width, and Dolby 5.1 speakers (don't ask me how), handily beats them. Nearly all of Alibaba's 9880s likewise use the older CPU and claim to have only 260,000 colors.

The 9880 sold by Fastcardtech can't match the N9776's smaller area, but it does match its internal specs: 6577 1.2 GHz CPU, 16 million colors, largish battery (2800). In fact, it has two features the N9776 doesn't: Bluetooth 2.1 (vs. 2.0) and a lithium-polymer battery (vs. lithium-ion). So I bought it. I dunno whether the brand is Dapeng, Star, Telsda, or Viewsonic. When I receive it, I'll report what I find in this thread. I'm hoping the claimed 1GB of RAM is for real.

My only reservation about this model is that, unlike the N9776 and the F6, it currently has no enthusiast forum. But maybe the three phones, and the lesser Dapeng i9800 / Star i9800, are all similar enough that ROM tricks and OS updates will work for all of them.

Last edited:

Paul in Maryland

Jul 3, 2008
N9880 with MTK6577

Hmmm. FastTech just dropped the price of their high-end N9880 from $234 to $212. I wonder whether they'll credit me the difference. Next to the price, it says, "in stock; ships in 1-3 working days." But in a response to a comment posted today, the company says that it's not yet in stock. A delay no longer than a week or so would be worth it if it means the phone would then come with Android 4.1.

umgrybab

Jul 28, 2012
4g working?

Does the 4g or 3g actually work in North America? I had bought a Gooapple V5 3G but the 3G never worked in North America because of the band it operated on. It does however work in the UK and Europe which is what I wanted.

Paul in Maryland

Jul 3, 2008
The 4G and 3G on these phones won't work on 3G networks that use CDMA (Verizon, Sprint), 3G networks that use HSPA+ on 1700 MHz, or 4G networks that use LTE (Verizon, AT&T). But they should work on 3G networks that use HSPA+ at 1900 MHz (AT&T, and increasingly, T-Mobile).

webdoctors

Nov 29, 2011
Hi Paul,

Can you confirm the CPU (1.2 GHz, dual-core), the RAM (1GB), the screen quality (IPS? wide-viewing angle, 1.6M colors) and camera (8MP) when you receive the device please?

Seeing different specs on sites regarding cores, RAM, 356K vs 1.6M colors and camera (5 vs 8 MP).

Thanks!

I'm planning on getting this to use on the T-mobile network.

Great tips, Vinski.

The 9880 sold by Fastcardtech can't match the N9776's smaller area, but it does match its internal specs: 6577 1.2 GHz CPU, 16 million colors, largish battery (2800). In fact, it has two features the N9776 doesn't: Bluetooth 2.1 (vs. 2.0) and a lithium-polymer battery (vs. lithium-ion). So I bought it. I dunno whether the brand is Dapeng, Star, Telsda, or Viewsonic. When I receive it, I'll report what I find in this thread. I'm hoping the claimed 1GB of RAM is for real.

My only reservation about this model is that, unlike the N9776 and the F6, it currently has no enthusiast forum. But maybe the three phones, and the lesser Dapeng i9800 / Star i9800, are all similar enough that ROM tricks and OS updates will work for all of them.

Paul in Maryland

Jul 3, 2008
You bet I will, webdoctors. I'm guessing my N9880 will arrive shortly before September. I, too, will be using my phone on T-Mobile.
I completely agree that some of the specs are suspect. Here are the N9880 specs that may be worse than we have led to believe:

- 1GB RAM (will probably be 512MB)
- 16 million colors (may be 260K, like the display on the MTK6575 variants)
- IPS (never claimed, but we all inferred this from "16 million colors"

At the same time, here are specs that may turn out to be BETTER than we had thought:
- Android: Spec says 4.0, but today I saw an N9880 screen shot or video somewhere that definitely said 4.1, with a ROM or installation dated July 30.
- Cameras: Spec says 0.3 / 5.0MP, but I've started to see claims of 2MP / 8 MP.
- Bluetooth: Spec says 2.0 but I'm also seeing 2.1.
- Battery: Spec used to say lithium-ion but now says lithium-polymer.

It seems to me that if you want to be sure of getting a 6-inch phone with the best specs, you go with the N9776 or Carpad Note5 F6. If you want to be sure of getting the lowest specs, get an i9800 or N9880 with an MTK6575. If you want to spin the wheel and take your chances, go for the N9880 MTK6577.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

To appreciate the size of these phablets, here's the N9880 beneath an iPhone 4. I explain to people that on a 6-inch phone, the glass is about the same size and shape as a 3 by 5-inch index card.

N9880_vs_iPhone_4_3_201208091516492F9Zj.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Soon there will be a handful of sixes:
1. Note5 F6
2. i9080
3. N9776
4. N9880
5. HiLive [awaiting name]

It was announced 2012-08-04.

HiLive%25206-inch%2520phone.jpg

Last edited:

webdoctors

Nov 29, 2011
did anyone see the iHTC One X posted at fastcardtech? Is it legit?

Its advertised as having a 4.7 inch IPS screen, 960*540 pixel, 1 GB RAM, dual core 1.2 GHz, and under $200 (199).

Too good to be true? I don't see the model posted at any other stores, so not sure if the specs arae a typo. Not sure of iHTC build quality, it could be some fake company trying to create poor HTC knockoffs rather than their own brand/quality control.:confused:

cloud4g

Oct 25, 2010
The quality gap between 'cheap Chinese phones/clones' has narrowed

Has significantly narrowed due to the evolution of the wireless chip sets: Microtek has come more up to the 'phone kit' packaged design that Qualcomm has traditionally offered the market. MTK provides the device manufacturers with increasingly inclusive kit designs through their network of suppliers of moldings, software, supplementary circuit components etc. The device suppliers job becomes more of selecting among the suppliers and doing final development and assembly operations. As many experience, the added refinement from the Chinese suppliers often is not much: many simply take the designs and burn the ROMs packaged up with Android software... rushing the products out even while some things do not work or do not work well. That is why GPS, WiFi, motion sensors may not work well until upgrade ROMs are available.. they hack the products to get them to the market in time to meet the window of market demand. XDA and other groups then serve as the talented group of folks that put together the fixes while the Chinese suppliers move on to the next product. That is what happened with many of the MTK 6575 devices. Those are more mature.. the stuff like GPS and WiFi now works and the devices can load up many apps and run most any software on par with expensive name brand devices costing 2-3 times more. Samsung. Apple, HTC maintain a leading edge in interface camera and video, software and hardware refinements that make the clones look second class in comparison but the gap has closed compared to where it was just a year ago.

The next step up for the Chinese suppliers will be improved screen resolution and more refined hardware... for them to stop using their customers as unwitting guinea pigs for pushing out half-baked products on the market. The first MTK 6577 products will be interesting to look at: will this prove to be similar to MTK6575 in which the YouTube videos look impressive but once you get it in your hand, some will find the Wi-Fi reception is weak, the sensors do not work or only work with some programs and not others due to incompatibilities between the ROM and Android or whatever?

Thus far, the MTK6577 products are still in the experimental entry into the market stage where the early adopters serve as guinea pigs to test out what works and what doesn't and for the many experts here to contribute their great skills to fixing the problems that will almost certainly be found.. and adding refinements that the rest of the market never gets or must wait for the operator upgrades.

I am very interested in the new 6 inch 'Phablet'/'car pad' devices - but will likely wait until others report how well they work and that there is a support group that is interested in supporting the ROM upgrades, etc. beforehand. I would like to see higher resolution 6"-7" models which would more aptly serve needs for both a tablet and a SmartPhone.. the 'one device' solution for personal and road use. qHD to HD quality screen with a mini HDMI output would be hot imo.

andymac66

Jun 23, 2007
N9776 - Where to buy?

The N9776 looks like the best of the 6 inch phones to me. Does anyone know a reputable place to buy it from? The only place I can see that sells it is Aliexpress and none of the sellers that are offering it there fill me with confidence.

iPmanu

Jul 17, 2012
The N9776 looks like the best of the 6 inch phones to me. Does anyone know a reputable place to buy it from? The only place I can see that sells it is Aliexpress and none of the sellers that are offering it there fill me with confidence.

IMHO, I think CarPad note5 F6 is better than N9776. It has 8MP real camera and 2MP front camera. And they have their own forum for support of ROM update or custom ROM, although it is in Chinese. However, if you can wait, you may want to wait for 6-inch 540x960 resolution version, as I think 400x854 is still not good enough. ;)

Last edited:

iPmanu

Jul 17, 2012

You may want to consider Haipai Noble I9220 or X710D as both phones has support thread in this XDA forum, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1646544 :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just bought one of these phones.. and yes you can use it on Tmobile.. for safety sake make your purchase through aliexpress.com they have an escrow service that holds your funds until the seller ships the device and you confirm receipt.. if its not to your liking or it never gets sent you can request a refund and they put the cash back on your card.

Back to the phones.. most of the chinese market is built on the MTK processor The current build is the MTK6577 which is their current dual-core @ 1.2ghz the 6577 is single core @1.0ghz DO NOT purchase any phone with MTK6516 that was their first phone processor and is slow as **** on android.. 6575, 6577 and the 6589 (quad-core) due out this december.. make sure the phone has at minimum a 4GB rom because the OS plus the MTK support software will take up half of the internal memory.. I bought a 7" phone tablet (search for A70 mtk6573) and it was decent for a full tablet with calling ability (rare back then) but it 0nly had a 1gb rom ( I learned though) and its okay its just that all programs have to be installed to SD card. Most of the suppliers will root the phones for you too.. Good luck!! I have 3 of them coming monday ..PS.. always choose DHL shipping 3 days from china to your door.. EMS and china post take FOREVER (up to 21 days) and sometimes lose the parcel. its totally worth the extra 25 bucks!!!
    Over on one of the Chinese boards there's a poster with a report on the N9776. His main gripe is that 512Mb RAM isn't enough, especially since the Chinese version comes with a lot of applications that load automatically; as he says, for Android 4, you need 1Gb.

He also complains about the sometimes visible mosaic pattern on the screen -- probably an inherent problem of an AMOLED screen at this resolution -- and says the back cover isn't really sturdy enough for a device this size.

Chinese phones with the same model number can in fact have different features, and many believe right or wrong that gear sold on the domestic market is lower quality than gear for export, so it's always difficult to rely completely on reviews like this.

In any event, the N9776 seems to be selling in China retail for the equivalent of about US$165-$170.
    I took a first-hand look at the six-inch screen N9776 this week.

The first impression is favorable: it feels good in the hand -- not too big and not heavy at all -- and has a bright, sharp screen. I didn't notice any of the mosaic effect that a Chinese user mentioned, but my eyes aren't all that good. Those who are used to small phones may disagree, but to me a six-inch phone seemed a natural size, and I liked the form factor.

It's hard to judge quality from a look-see -- who knows what's inside the casing -- but the N9776 didn't come across as a piece of junk; you could pass it around to show your friends without embarrassment. The embossed pattern on the back is a nice touch and helps with the grip.

The screen responded properly to touch, with no lag that bothered me, but the three control buttons at the bottom were a bit fussy. I think you see this in some of the Youtube videos.

The screen is bright enough indoors, but maximizing brightness didn't do much (and yes, I first turned the automatic adjustment off). I believe the AMOLED screens don't do too well in sunlight, but do look very good in the dark. I assume that's why one of the Youtube videos shows the screen in a blackened room. So if you're outside a lot, this phone may not be for you.

Web pages loaded fine and quickly on WIFI -- there was no 3G connection available -- though a Youtube video hanged. Perhaps killing all the apps automatically loaded into that small 512Mb RAM would have solved this.

The speaker did not sound good: too much distortion when played loud.

As common with Chinese electronics, there do seem to be different versions of this phone around. While most are 512Mb RAM and have AMOLED screens, I saw one seller with -- so he claimed -- a 1Gb RAM model in two versions, one double core and the other quad core. Are there are any quad core chips available yet for this phone? He also said his N9776 phones had IPS screens not AMOLED, though the boxes he had on hand claimed they were AMOLED. Indeed, his phones didn't seem to have quite the saturation of the other N9776 phones I saw.

The battery's a problem. Most sites seem to claim 3200Mah, but as some of those YouTube videos show, the battery itself is marked 3600Mah. Mislabelling and misrepresentation of batteries is unfortunately not just common but universal in low-end Chinese electronics; a decent 3600Mah battery retails for around US$25, and most (but not all) sellers provide two of them with the N9776. It's just not realistic to believe they're providing two genuine batteries of that size on a phone that retails for about US$180.

What to do? I'm taking a pass. Wait a few months and this will be available in 1Gb, which it needs for ICS, and 1080p resolution. Further, by then we'll have heard from the guinea pigs who are buying this model now, and we'll know whether it lasts more than two months.

It's also possible that phones with even larger screens will be around, keeping in mind that the important dimension for portability isn't the screen size but the phone size, and there's still room to shrink that while keeping the screen size unchanged. Indeed, Huawei is coming out with a 6.1-inch phone this month, the Ascend Mate.

I also cringe and feel like a bit of a fool whenever I buy these knock-off Chinese electronics, though they can be very attractive at first, because you never know the real specs or how long they're going to last. Sometimes you do luck out and get something good, but sometimes it's just good money down the drain.

I did glance at the other six-inch phone, the i9977, but it has a smooth back that looks like a piece of cheap plastic and that was enough to make me put it right back down. It was something you would be embarrassed to show your friends.
    Have recently purchased with fastcardtech.com (beware of these swindlers) two of the supposed HDC Galaxy S3 Pro, or Plus, with one SIM Slot after a 3 week debacle on on money transfers B.S. a two week no communications with FAST CARD TECH, and then sporadic lame responses until I demanded refund. Of course with continuing different G3 Models released, ALL WITH BOGUS SPECS MIND YOU, BEWARE...Of course, then they wanted more money, etc. This phone sells on fastcardtech.com by many names, S3 Pro, S3 LTE, S3Plus, etc, or whatever other adjective they will put at the end to dump these phones on the market. For the most part they are exquisite replicas G3 phones down to the finest detail, until you turn the phone on, then the jaw drops for other reasons. For one thing, these phones are not even HDC produced, but another clone no-name supplier, as HDC would have labeled the inside, my my two are plain wrap blank insides. For the follow-through, the Specs on the phones are for the most part fiction. The chipset is MTK6575 NOT MTK6577 as specified, only run @ 1ghz, w/512mb RAM not 4gb as stated,

More bad news, Online specs FREQENCY SPECS are doctored to be attractive to 4G HSPDA standard that just are not possible. As these phones cannot achieve as mentioned, Only EVDO, or about 3G at best, IF your lucky, and forget about those kind of fast speeds in U.S. Market, just does not match our frequencies, but I am on T-Mobile. Only -1- MINI SIM SLOT, not regular sim, the other Standard SIM Slot is deactivated and not functioning, and masked off. These phones also have limited function firmware, an obscure Android ICS Version, which offers no Full-Google Sync, ie) Contacts, Calender, and Facebook, at least until someone posts a compatible Firmware and MOD for this phone, which seems like dismal interest anywhere on XDA Website. I have seen Colonel ZAP Website has a bit, but seems his attempts have been bricking phones....Be careful, because as mentioned, some phones are NOT HDC, and specs list MTK6577 CPU when they are actually MKT6575 CPUS, the particuar specs on these phones are not TRUE as Listed on FASTCARDTECH. FASTCARDTECH are swindlers, beware, they stall you after your payment. Especially if you use Western Union (very foolish to use this payment method with ANY online retailer, due to no gurantee you will receive your product as in PAYPAL Payments are). There tactics are stall for up to 3 weeks with meager confirmation, bogus tracking numbers, until you cave and either pay more money or get bogus equipment which is NOT AS LISTED. This is only my experience....

If ANYONE has any further information on MTK6575 Boot Image Restore, and ICS ROMS for this HDC Galaxy S3, we would LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU....$400USD poorer hear...Over and Out, of my mind for thinking THESE would be a good buy....!!

Sorry to hear about your experience.... I first ordered from FASTCARDTECH but after reading about their reviews I was scared. Fortunantly the one that I ordered was supposed to be a mtk6577 version but they emailed me and told me that they were out of stock and can they send me an mtk6575 version. I asked for a refund and they gave my money back. I went to eBay and ordered another one this on had a 14 day money back guarantee unlike FASTCARDTECH. I did my home work on these phone before I purchased it. The one I have is a star n9880 version but all are really the same. With a mtk6575 chip in it. Which is fine at the moment. I have searched the web and found a Russian and Chinese site that allowed me to root it. I have done a lot of modding on it. I've managed to put galaxy note touchwiz ui on it. I've have also managed to get the Google now working on it as well. I have been unsuccessful in overclocking it at the moment because the mtk CPU app on the market only support mtk6573. Overall it a good phone... even with the Tmobile speed...

Sent from my Star n9880 using xda app-developers app
    Sorry to hear about your experience.... I first ordered from FASTCARDTECH but after reading about their reviews I was scared. Fortunantly the one that I ordered was supposed to be a mtk6577 version but they emailed me and told me that they were out of stock and can they send me an mtk6575 version. I asked for a refund and they gave my money back. I went to eBay and ordered another one this on had a 14 day money back guarantee unlike FASTCARDTECH. I did my home work on these phone before I purchased it. The one I have is a star n9880 version but all are really the same. With a mtk6575 chip in it. Which is fine at the moment. I have searched the web and found a Russian and Chinese site that allowed me to root it. I have done a lot of modding on it. I've managed to put galaxy note touchwiz ui on it. I've have also managed to get the Google now working on it as well. I have been unsuccessful in overclocking it at the moment because the mtk CPU app on the market only support mtk6573. Overall it a good phone... even with the Tmobile speed...

Sent from my Star n9880 using xda app-developers app

I have the same phone and i bought it from Ebay.com for $230. I have managed to root the phone but still not able to get the google voice from JB to work. could you please help me with a step by step instructions? And also it will be great if you can share other tweaks that you made.

I really liked the phone except for its viewing angle. But i bought it only because i already have an S3 and i wanted something really big :) . The best thing about the phone is its build quality. Looks like a really high end phone. i only wish it had a better viewing angle.

If some one is interested in buying it you can check out this video which i found useful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjxhC_cKaM