How to/Solution to disable proximity sensor incall

Search This thread

ginodp

Jan 3, 2009
Amsterdam
**Standard Disclaimer applies here: If you screw up your device trying the following steps in this thread, I cant be responsible. But thats old news**

If your phone stays black after a call you can fix it by a couple of ways.

First:
Code:
[B]Q[/B]:Where is the proximity sensor?
[B]A[/B]:Top left of the screen in opposite place to led, if you tily screen under the light you should see the sensor reflect back at you.

Install this app and test your proximity sensor to be sure, that it is not broken: Proximity Sensor Finder

Options you need to try first.
  1. The screen protector, yes it might be transparent but the sensor detects it. Using a sensor testing app from the market it suggested the sensor was covered almost all the time.
    So the solution was replace the protector with new one but cut an arc at the top just big enough around the sensor at the top left, easy fix now in call screen is more responsive.
  2. With a vacuum cleaner vacuum over the top area of the phone. This must suck all the dust out of there.

<-------------------------------------->
1 of the other option would be an app called Anyunlock which seems to have solved the problem for me. It seems to be able to wake up when the screen turns off after a call. The app allows you to unlock with the volume key and replaces the lock screen with its own screen.

This option works on my Desire S

If it's broken, you'll see 0.0 cm all the time.

Solution to disable proximity sensor incall is to put this line into build.prop and reboot:

you can edit the build.prop by pulling it first from the device by doing:

Code:
adb pull /system/build.prop c:\where\you\want\to\put\it\

open with wordpad and add the following line

Code:
gsm.proximity.enable=false

Then

Code:
adb remount
adb push c:\where\you\want\to\put\it\build.prop /system/

reboot so that the settings take effect

Credits
For disabling the proximity sensor in call go to Matri}{
Rest of the credits go to all the people that figured the other stuff out. (to many post on the net so I don't know who made them but thanks)

Thanks to myself for making this tutorial. (It's my first on xda)
If you have any other idea's just pm me or drop a post.

Thanks

Last edited:

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Thanks for the guide, it seems that there are quite some people affected by this and I find it much useful. Just a suggestion - IMO more proper place for it will be the General section, so you can request moving it there from the moderators and also adding it to the Index thread (PM ben_pyett)

Sent from my Desire S

Reactions: ginodp

papaganz

Sep 10, 2011
Hey,

I just tried your fix but it didn't work for me. Screen still goes black when receiving a call and only reacts when I plug it in through USB. Could it be because my ROM is ICS?

Also tried removing the screen cover & sucking out the dust on the top.

The Anyunlock app works, but that's not ideal of course.

Last edited:

ginodp

Jan 3, 2009
Amsterdam
Yes it could be that it's Rom related. I use Endymion. And matri}{ extracted it from the Rom.

Wich Rom do you use. I can take a look for you tonight when I get home.

The anylock works most off as between solution.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: papaganz

papaganz

Sep 10, 2011
Hey,

I tried it on MIUI ICS, Endymion which both failed. Now I'm using the Reaper ROM but it still doesn't work.

ginodp

Jan 3, 2009
Amsterdam
It should work on Endymion. I used it and I even checked if it's the same proximity line in de file of update 3.5.

Did you changed it on the phone or with a text editor on the computer?

I tested it on Endymion just 5 min ago and it worked.

Does your screen still stays black after hanging up? If so can you only unlock with USB cable or power cable?

Reactions: papaganz

papaganz

Sep 10, 2011
Hm, you're right, it does work on Endymion (sorry). I'm having some stability problems with that ROM though...

Do you know how to enable it on MIUI or Reaper (CM based)?

papaganz

Sep 10, 2011
I just discovered that there is a setting in the MIUI dialer to disable the proximity sensor! This also works, sorry for taking up your time.

But maybe a new suggestion for people who don't want to edit the build file ;)? Try MIUI!

rolfharris

Jul 3, 2011
:eek:

Solution to disable proximity sensor incall is to put this line into build.prop and reboot:

Code:

Code:

Then

Code:

adb remount

if anyone could explain this in noob terms it would be much apprecited

Last edited:
Reactions: Aprentice_

Larpogue

May 18, 2012
New kid on the block

I just discovered that there is a setting in the MIUI dialer to disable the proximity sensor! This also works, sorry for taking up your time.

But maybe a new suggestion for people who don't want to edit the build file ;)? Try MIUI!

Hey, I'm a TOTAL rookie at this stuff guys...........can you talk me through this process step by step. The sensor is banjaxed (tested it) and I need to turn the thing off.
Thanks in advance!

papaganz

Sep 10, 2011
Hey, I'm a TOTAL rookie at this stuff guys...........can you talk me through this process step by step. The sensor is banjaxed (tested it) and I need to turn the thing off.
Thanks in advance!

Well, if you install a MIUI-based ROM (check the android development forum here), you can just go to your dialer settings and select the option.

Aprentice_

Apr 11, 2012
:eek:

if anyone could explain this in noob terms it would be much apprecited

it works good.

the easiest way is to install rom toolbox app on a rooted phone, go to buildprop editor and add the line, click save and reboot :)

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Well, if you install a MIUI-based ROM (check the android development forum here), you can just go to your dialer settings and select the option.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

the easiest way is to install rom toolbox app on a rooted phone, go to buildprop editor and add the line gsm.proximity.enable=false

click save and reboot

Last edited:

Larpogue

May 18, 2012
it works good.

the easiest way is to install rom toolbox app on a rooted phone, go to buildprop editor and add the line, click save and reboot :)

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

the easiest way is to install rom toolbox app on a rooted phone, go to buildprop editor and add the line gsm.proximity.enable=false

click save and reboot

Thanks man for your advise but how do u root a phone (he asks cringeing!) Soory dude but I did say I was a rookie :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **Standard Disclaimer applies here: If you screw up your device trying the following steps in this thread, I cant be responsible. But thats old news**

If your phone stays black after a call you can fix it by a couple of ways.

First:
    Code:
    [B]Q[/B]:Where is the proximity sensor?
    [B]A[/B]:Top left of the screen in opposite place to led, if you tily screen under the light you should see the sensor reflect back at you.

Install this app and test your proximity sensor to be sure, that it is not broken: Proximity Sensor Finder

Options you need to try first.
    1. The screen protector, yes it might be transparent but the sensor detects it. Using a sensor testing app from the market it suggested the sensor was covered almost all the time.
      So the solution was replace the protector with new one but cut an arc at the top just big enough around the sensor at the top left, easy fix now in call screen is more responsive.
    2. With a vacuum cleaner vacuum over the top area of the phone. This must suck all the dust out of there.

1 of the other option would be an app called Anyunlock which seems to have solved the problem for me. It seems to be able to wake up when the screen turns off after a call. The app allows you to unlock with the volume key and replaces the lock screen with its own screen.

If it's broken, you'll see 0.0 cm all the time.

Code:

Code:

Then

Code:
    adb remount

Credits
    For disabling the proximity sensor in call go to Matri}{
    Rest of the credits go to all the people that figured the other stuff out. (to many post on the net so I don't know who made them but thanks)

Thanks to myself for making this tutorial. (It's my first on xda)
    If you have any other idea's just pm me or drop a post.

Thanks
    Thanks for the guide, it seems that there are quite some people affected by this and I find it much useful. Just a suggestion - IMO more proper place for it will be the General section, so you can request moving it there from the moderators and also adding it to the Index thread (PM ben_pyett)

Sent from my Desire S
    Yes it could be that it's Rom related. I use Endymion. And matri}{ extracted it from the Rom.

Wich Rom do you use. I can take a look for you tonight when I get home.

The anylock works most off as between solution.

It should work on Endymion. I used it and I even checked if it's the same proximity line in de file of update 3.5.

Did you changed it on the phone or with a text editor on the computer?

I tested it on Endymion just 5 min ago and it worked.

Does your screen still stays black after hanging up? If so can you only unlock with USB cable or power cable?

I'm going to check for you tomorrow ok. I'll get back to you.