[Q] Root attempt gone wrong

Search This thread

Frank_H

Mar 3, 2014
Hi All,

I've attempted to root my SM-900, using Odin 3.09 and followed all the usual steps.
Suddenly I got different coloured horizontal lines on screen and that probably means my attemp didn't go that well...

I've read I should go back to the original firmware using kies, and then try again.

So how do I restore the original firmware?
I have an image (.img) and understand I need samsung Kies.

Question: Do I use Kies or the new KIES3?
How to go from there?

Or is there another way to restore the firmware?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Frank_H

Mar 3, 2014
I figured it out already....

I un-tar-red the recovery file. Leaving it as .tar solved the issue.

:eek:

wolverinex66

Dec 29, 2010
marion
bricked

my tablet is stuck,tried different usb ports,different odins,different cables .gets stuck on set up connection,now all i get on screen is FIRMWARE UPGRADE ENCOUNTERED AN ISSUE

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
Had the same issues. Solved it by reinstalling the USB drivers. Via Kies 3, under the Tools menu. Worked perfectly after that. (Edit. ...for CFautoroot)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
Man that's gotta be a scary moment...

wilsto

Mar 15, 2014
Need advice

I figured it out already....

I un-tar-red the recovery file. Leaving it as .tar solved the issue.

:eek:

I have the same problem... root failed with several colored line. and doesnt start anymore.
Can you explain to me what do you mean by "I un-tar-red the recovery file. Leaving it as .tar solved the issue." ?
Thank you

Frank_H

Mar 3, 2014
I have the same problem... root failed with several colored line. and doesnt start anymore.
Can you explain to me what do you mean by "I un-tar-red the recovery file. Leaving it as .tar solved the issue." ?
Thank

Since the recovery image was downloaded as aan .tar file, which is a container file like .zip or.7z, I thought that I needed to unzip it.
You can mount the .tar file in Odin as it is, without unzipping it first.

You can find the recovery download location in the CF-root thread.

Reactions: heldc

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Thank you

Mine did that after flashing a different firmware and trying to root. I solved it by first flashing the stock recovery in chainfires thread then rooting.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'm having this same problem. I downloaded CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.zip from download.chainfire.eu. I extracted the zip file, leaving me with a tar.md5 file. I try to flash that file, and end up with multicolor bars across the screen, exactly like if the video card dies on a mobile.

Here's what Odin has output as of when the error occurs. It flashes up a big red failed in the upper left box.
Code:
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/005> cache.img
<ID:0/005> 
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!

So I flashed the original recovery from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50492301&postcount=234 and got a working but unrooted tablet. And I flashed CF with both 3.09 and 3.07, with a flash back to stock before each. Same thing every time-picture of a dying video card, except display is fine once flashed back to stock. Pic of the display added, on the off chance it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20140329_045813.jpg
    IMG_20140329_045813.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
Install Kies 3, then go into the Tools menu and reinstall the USB drivers. Reboot. Try auto root again. Should work on the first try.

Reactions: heldc

paulskerr

Sep 8, 2008
Install Kies 3, then go into the Tools menu and reinstall the USB drivers. Reboot. Try auto root again. Should work on the first try.

I am having the same issue tried different computer with xp same result. Did you ever get it working or no? and if you did get working how?

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

I'm having this same problem. I downloaded CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.zip from download.chainfire.eu. I extracted the zip file, leaving me with a tar.md5 file. I try to flash that file, and end up with multicolor bars across the screen, exactly like if the video card dies on a mobile.

Here's what Odin has output as of when the error occurs. It flashes up a big red failed in the upper left box.
Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..

So I flashed the original recovery from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50492301&postcount=234 and got a working but unrooted tablet. And I flashed CF with both 3.09 and 3.07, with a flash back to stock before each. Same thing every time-picture of a dying video card, except display is fine once flashed back to stock. Pic of the display added, on the off chance it helps.

I am having the same issue tried different computer with xp same result. Did you ever get it working or no? and if you did get working how?

I did. I did the uninstaller for the USB drivers several times, with no luck. So finally I just deleted the Samsung folders in program files and program files x86. I did not reinstall Kies, just the USB drivers from samsung.com. I used odin 3.09, and it went flawlessly. Well, mostly-wifi took a *long* time to reconnect the first time after boot, but I'd also installed the update just before rooting, so dunno if it was the rooting or the update.

paulskerr

Sep 8, 2008
I did. I did the uninstaller for the USB drivers several times, with no luck. So finally I just deleted the Samsung folders in program files and program files x86. I did not reinstall Kies, just the USB drivers from samsung.com. I used odin 3.09, and it went flawlessly. Well, mostly-wifi took a *long* time to reconnect the first time after boot, but I'd also installed the update just before rooting, so dunno if it was the rooting or the update.

I finally go also. I did exactly what you did. Thank you

screaming01l

Jun 23, 2012
How many are remembering to unhide developer options and then select usb debugging? The moment I did that everything worked

sejtam

Dec 25, 2010
Whwre did you find the USB drivers on samsung.com? When selecting the SM-P900 it does not offer any for download.

wcc7777777

Apr 18, 2015

Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..

So this happened to me, and this is my first time rooting. I have the tar file for recovery. How do I proceed? I haven't unplugged my note pro, can I just put in the new file in the pda and start, or do I need to restart odin? Really kind of worried...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank

Since the recovery image was downloaded as aan .tar file, which is a container file like .zip or.7z, I thought that I needed to unzip it.
    You can mount the .tar file in Odin as it is, without unzipping it first.

You can find the recovery download location in the CF-root thread.

Code:
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..

Code:
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..

So this happened to me, and this is my first time rooting. I have the tar file for recovery. How do I proceed? I haven't unplugged my note pro, can I just put in the new file in the pda and start, or do I need to restart odin? Really kind of worried...