Unable to disable stock browser, can it be done?

Search This thread

neswii

Sep 22, 2010
Am I not looking for the right application? I've been able to disable stock browsers in many other android phones, but it's not possible on the S4 apparently. This makes opening links a lot more tedious than it should be. Wish you could select a default browser like you select the messaging application.

cadarn07

Jul 10, 2012
Am I not looking for the right application? I've been able to disable stock browsers in many other android phones, but it's not possible on the S4 apparently. This makes opening links a lot more tedious than it should be. Wish you could select a default browser like you select the messaging application.

I use titanium backup to freeze/disable apps that the OS won't let you uninstall. Have you tried something like that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

neswii

Sep 22, 2010
I use titanium backup to freeze/disable apps that the OS won't let you uninstall. Have you tried something like that?

Unfortunately I am not rooted and am fully stock. I'm still under the one year Samsung warranty and would not like to trigger the flag thingie. I do have titanium backup purchased from the play store though. Is there a root method that does not add the flag to Knox?

cadarn07

Jul 10, 2012
Unfortunately I am not rooted and am fully stock. I'm still under the one year Samsung warranty and would not like to trigger the flag thingie. I do have titanium backup purchased from the play store though. Is there a root method that does not add the flag to Knox?

I've not heard of any flag triggered when rooting so can't help you there. I don't think you can disable stock apps via any method without being rooted, though.

As an alternative, you could use a third party launcher and hide the app from the drawer. This would not affect any functionality, however. You just wouldn't have to see the app in the drawer

sainthooligan

Apr 28, 2010

You won't be able to disable from stock necessarily, but you can set a different browser as default. For instance, if you installed firefox or chrome.

If you hold down the home button, then press the little "pie" icon at the left. It'll take you to the screen to clear the default apps, press the "Clear defaults" tab at the top, then press "Internet" and then "Clear".

When you go to your app that has a link in it (ie gmail) then you just select the FFor chrome and "Always". Links will open in the other browser, rather than the stock.

Another way to clear the defaults for the stock browser is to go to settings > Application Manager > All > Internet > under "Launch by Default" select "Clear defaults"...then follow the same above when you open a link.

Last edited:

neswii

Sep 22, 2010
Thank you both. I am aware of all of these methods, however, installing new browsers or other apps with browser functionality tends to reset defaults and I have to re-select all over again. Which is why I would like to uninstall a browser and just leave the one I would use, but it is not possible. Thanks again for your help, I'll look into rooting so I can use titanium backup to freeze the browser once we get a safe root that does not trigger knox.