[HOW-TO] Flash your at&t Tab to make calls + 1900+850 WCDMA - UPDATED

Search This thread

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Please note that i am not responsible if you brick your Galaxy Tab.
This worked for me and i now have a Galaxy Tab, on At&t making calls + 3G data + 850/1900Mhz WCDMA enabled.

**please note you need to have a SIM card with a proper voice plan and DATA plan for this to work. do not try this with the prepaid card that came with the Tab.

1) Download the firmware P1000XWJJ4 from HERE (pass: samfirmware.com)
2) download the firmware P1000XXJK5 from HERE (pass: samfirmware.com)
3) download Odin 1.3 from HERE
4) download the modem_bell_i9000.zip file attached to his post and extract it.

A) put you tab into download mode and flash P1000XWJJ4 with P1_add_hidden.pit and repartition selected. The phone will reboot and will be in Russian.

B) Put the phone into download mode again. flash P1000XXJK5 with NO repartition and NO PIT file. the phone will reboot with the latest euro firmware in english.

C) finish the setup wizard, if you do not get DATA at this point (3G or EDGE) at this point go into APN settings and change the APN from "Broadband" to "wap.cingular"

D) Put the Tab into download mode and flash the attached modem.bin file (the one you extracted) by selecting the bin file under "phone" in Odin. NO repartition and NO PIT file.

E) At this point your phone will reboot and you should have 850/1900Mhz enabled and everything you should work just like the euro version of the Tab.

Done and done.

UPDATE: I found that at&t are disabling HSUPA on the Tab, thus using the at&t original modem will not be ideal. I found that the Bell Galaxy S 2.2 modem is the only modem i found so far that will give us 850/1900Mhz + HSUPA + voice calls.
Please flash this modem instead. it is attached.

Attachments

• modem_bell_i9000.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 13,830
Last edited:

Raspster

Jun 21, 2007
Nice... How come we need to go to the Russian ROM first? Thanks again Clubtech.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Because it is the only real full flash firmware we currently have and that fixes the boot logo problem i had when i didn't do a full flash before.
XXJK5 is not a full flash, but incremental one so we have to flash twice.

mywingtophone

Aug 20, 2007
Wow you are a real genius , this tab just cameout today and u already found a way to make the voice work compared to the other post here about flashing their tmobile tab still scratching their butt trying to figure out how to make it work. Can you help us tmobile user to make our device working with voice and 3g? I got 3 more days to return it and get at&t.

Great instruction too! Your the man!

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Wow you are a real genius , this tab just cameout today and u already found a way to make the voice work compared to the other post here about flashing their tmobile tab still scratching their butt trying to figure out how to make it work. Can you help us tmobile user to make our device working with voice and 3g? I got 3 more days to return it and get at&t.

Great instruction too! Your the man!

T-mobile are blocking the data plans by IMEI, so there is nothing we can do unless you want to fake your IMEI.
As long as the IMEI stays the same, even if you got 3G and voice to work, data will still be blocked on regular phone plan sim cards so there is no point really.

For blocking by IMEI T-mobile should see all their tabs returned as far as i care.

maxtcee

Jan 25, 2009
South Jerz
so if i get a att tab do what you posted and unlock it then add my unlimited t mobile sim will i still be blocked?

mywingtophone

Aug 20, 2007
T-mobile are blocking the data plans by IMEI, so there is nothing we can do unless you want to fake your IMEI.
As long as the IMEI stays the same, even if you got 3G and voice to work, data will still be blocked on regular phone plan sim cards so there is no point really.

For blocking by IMEI T-mobile should see all their tabs returned as far as i care.

What if i flash it using your instruction and insert my att sim card will it work?Thanks a million!

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
A small update.
So it appears that at&t have disabled HSUPA so the upload speeds are slow (it is capped around 386Kbps).
I tried flashing the Bell modem.bin. it kept the 850Mhz and disabled the upload cap but i could not longer make or receive calls.

Flashing back to the at&t modem back and i was able to make calls but the upload speed is again capped.

Thank-you at&t!!! for crippling my hardware!!

Anyone can post the modem from Rogers? that would be helpful to try.

maxtcee

Jan 25, 2009
South Jerz
A small update.
So it appears that at&t have disabled HSUPA so the upload speeds are slow (it is capped around 386Kbps).
I tried flashing the Bell modem.bin. it kept the 850Mhz and disabled the upload cap but i could not longer make or receive calls.

Flashing back to the at&t modem back and i was able to make calls but the upload speed is again capped.

Thank-you at&t!!! for crippling my hardware!!

Anyone can post the modem from Rogers? that would be helpful to try.

these f#@$$%^^$#@%^&*()(*&^%$%^&*()_)(*&^%$%^*()(*&^%^&*()(*&^%$%^&*()(*&^%$#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$#@#$%^&*(M(*&^%$%^&*(MM*(&^%$#%^&* U.S carriers

Reactions: LordLugard

quattr0

Nov 13, 2010
This worked for me and i now have a Galaxy Tab, on At&t making calls + 3G data + 850/1900Mhz WCDMA enabled.

**please note you need to have a SIM card with a proper voice plan and DATA plan for this to work. do not try this with the prepaid card that came with the Tab.

4) download the modem.zip file attached to his post and extract it.

A) put you tab into download mode and flash P1000XWJJ4 with P1_add_hidden.pit and repartition selected. The phone will reboot and will be in Russian.

B) Put the phone into download mode again. flash P1000XXJK5 with NO repartition and NO PIT file. the phone will reboot with the latest euro firmware in english.

C) finish the setup wizard, if you do not get DATA at this point (3G or EDGE) at this point go into APN settings and change the APN from "Broadband" to "wap.cingular"

D) Put the Tab into download mode and flash the attached modem.bin file (the one you extracted) by selecting the bin file under "phone" in Odin. NO repartition and NO PIT file.

E) At this point your phone will reboot and you should have 850/1900Mhz enabled and everything you should work just like the euro version of the Tab.

Done and done.

On step a), it's really a 2 steps process right? Meaning

1. Download the pit file
2. Flash the PDA, Phone and CSC

according to general flashing instruction here http://www.samfirmware.com/P1000 how to flash.pdf ?

And when come the 2nd flash, skip the pit file and flash the other 3: PDA, Phone and CSC?

Thanks again.

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010

and what do you lose from corrupting ur IMEI #? i see nothing but gaining from it.

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Ok, Bell GT-P1000M is now flashed with JK5 and the AT&T Modem, and is fully voice and data functional on Telus (I manually unlocked it) in both 850 and 1900 bands.

Rock on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4) download the modem_bell_i9000.zip file attached to his post and extract it.

Done and done.

UPDATE: I found that at&t are disabling HSUPA on the Tab, thus using the at&t original modem will not be ideal. I found that the Bell Galaxy S 2.2 modem is the only modem i found so far that will give us 850/1900Mhz + HSUPA + voice calls.
    Please flash this modem instead. it is attached.
    The firmwares in the first post are safe to flash. Do not flash any JMA,B,C,D firmware unless its has the name Roto in the filename.
    Ok, I think I just bricked it. Was trying out odin to see if I could dump the memory from the device.

Got the phone + exclamation+ computer screen which will only boot to that. Guess I am commited to going thru the steps in the start of this article.

Does anyone have a rom image of the original Bell stock rom that I can grab to flash it back to stock?

You may want to flash the bell modem.bin only with odin to get the unit "unstuck". It will reboot the Tab when done and get it out of download mode and back to stock.

I hope you didn't Euro-Flash it yet :)
    In the US, you should see all the market.
    In the first flash, with JJ4, use the PIT, PDA, Modem and CSC from that package, in the respective locations in Odin, with re-partition checked (and this WILL nuke your internal SD card, so if you have backups, move them somewhere else).

In the second flash, the P1000OXAJK5.tar file is loaded via PDA, there is no PIT, Modem or CSC (and no-repartition).

Make sense now?