[Tutorial] How to install Android SDK tool & HTC's drivers [BEGINNERS FRIENDLY]

Search This thread

Lucky Thirteen

Jul 15, 2010
Montréal
Google Pixel 6 Pro
[SIZE="+1"]-- Android SDK/ADB tool Tutorial --[/SIZE]

I decided to create this Beginner Friendly tutorial on how to install SDK tool mainly because recent phones such as the i.e. HTC One X / One X+ are requiring many basic usage of adb command line, and lots of members are having difficulities to have basics adb command to work because their SDK tool is not correctly installed. I won't show you how to make usage of it, there is plenty of How-to's for that purpose all around xda and on the Web.

This is all safe to install on your Windows based computer, and if you can not achieve success with this installation, well obviously, you shouldn't play the hacking game with your device. From now on, I or anyone else on the Internet can not be held responsible if something really bad is happening to you because you didn't read and followed any given instructions letters by letters and you ended with a screwed, pricey and valuable paperweight device. That being said, let's get started.

Let's GO!

On your phone simply follow this path : Settings -> Developer options -> Turn the option ON -> under Debugging -> tick USB debugging option Debug mode when USB is connected
That's it, done!

This is a prerequisite to have a flawlessly working SDK tool installation.

1. Click on the following link to download it on Java's website : Free Java Download
  2. On the next page, do not click on Agree and Start Download, instead click on See all Java downloads.
  3. Which should you choose? If you have a 64-bit Windows OS you MUST install the two versions (both 32-bit and 64-bit), otherwise the 32-bit is sufficient for a 32-bit Windows OS.
  4. Before installing the latest version of Java, it is recommended to uninstall all previous Java's installation. (How to -> Remove Older Versions)
  5. Complete the required installation depending of the type of Windows installation.
  6. You are all done for Java.

-- Screenshots for the visual ones --
Java.PNG

JavaAgreement.PNG

JavaWindows.PNG

1. First step is to download the SDK Manager, to do so click on this link -> Download the SDK
  2. Next locate on the bottom of your screen the USE AN EXISTING IDE, click on it.
  3. On the Get the Android SDK page, tick the I have read and agree with the above terms and conditions box and click on the Download the SDK Tools for Windows button.
  4. Navigate to your Download folder, and locate a file named like this: installer_r21.1-windows.exe (N.B. The r21.1 version was available when I did this how to, your version could be different.)
  5. Double click on the installer_r21.1-windows.exe file to start the installation. Take good note where the file will be installed, generally the default SDK path is : C:\Users\your_session's_name\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk.
  6. Now, navigate to the path of the SDK installation folder.
  7. Select all (CTRL + A) in this folder and Copy (CTRL +C) them for the next step.
  8. Now you need to create a new folder at the root of your C:\ drive named : AndroidSDK
  9. Open up the newly created folder and Paste (CTRL + V) the previously copied files.
  10. Stay in this folder and double click on the SDK Manager icon.
  11. The SDK Manager will open a new window, click on Deselect All, then tick the following line in Tools : AndroidSDK Platform-tools
  12. Click on Install 1 Package..., accept the license agreement and click on Install let the manager do it's thing.
  13. Click on Done and close the manager's window.
  14. Congrats! You have created successfully your SDK tool!
  15. Wait! Let's clean your computer a bit....
  16. Go back to the previous folder, the one located in this path : C:\Users\your_session's_name\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
  17. Click on the Uninstaller, we don't need this one anymore. Don't worry the other AndroidSDK folder won't be deleted.
  18. Voilà! You are done with this part.

AndroidSDK.PNG

GetSDKAndroid.PNG

DownloadSDK.PNG

Installer.PNG

SDK%20path.PNG

SDK%20Manager.PNG

1. Locate the Platform-tools sub-folder in the AndroidSDK folder.
  2. Right click in a empty space of the folder and select in the contextual menu New -> Text Document
  3. Open this new Text Document and Copy/Paste this : c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
  4. Save this file as : Start SDK.bat
  5. Acknowledge the : If you change file extension... warning.
  6. Right click your new created Start SDK and send a shortcut on your Desktop.
  7. Done! If you try to double click on your Start SDK shortcut, a command window should open with something like these lines :

Code:
C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>

Success!

This one is very easy, simply download and run the installer and let Windows do the rest. Drivers compatbile 32-bit or 64-bit

• Download the Self-install HTCDriver_4.0.1.001.exe/
  • Make sure your phone is not plugged on your computer via the USB cable.
  • Simply run the installer of the driver you've just downloaded.
  • Once the installation is completed, simply plug your phone via your USB cable and Windows "wizard manager" will now detect your phone.
  • If it doesn't work, unplug your phone and reboot your computer. Then plug back your phone once rebooted.
  • Done!

HTC%20Driver.PNG

1. With your phone plugged on your USB cable...
  2. From your Desktop, double click on your Start SDK shortcut.
  3. In the command window, at the command line : C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> type this -> adb devices (Enter)
  4. The serial number of your phone should appear in the command window. If it is the case, then try this again : C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> type this -> adb reboot (Enter)
  5. Your phone will now Reboot
  6. If all this worked, you have a successful SDK Tools installation!

StartSDK.PNG

This is it, I hope this tutorial was helpful, if you have some sort of problems let me know, I will try to help you at the best of my knowledge. Have fun hacking your Android!!

Last edited:

szilike93

Nov 27, 2012
Csíkszereda

I decided to create this Beginner Friendly tutorial on how to install SDK tool mainly because recent phones such as the i.e. HTC One X / One X+ are requiring many basic usage of adb command line, and lots of members are having difficulities to have basics adb command to work because their SDK tool is not correctly installed. I won't show you how to make usage of it, there is plenty of How-to's for that purpose all around xda and on the Web.

This is all safe to install on your Windows based computer, and if you can not achieve success with this installation, well obviously, you shouldn't play the hacking game with your device. From now on, I or anyone else on the Internet can not be held responsible if something really bad is happening to you because you didn't read and followed any given instructions letters by letters and you ended with a screwed, pricey and valuable paperweight device. That being said, let's get started.

Let's GO!

On your phone simply follow this path : Settings -> Developer options -> Turn the option ON -> under Debugging -> tick USB debugging option Debug mode when USB is connected
That's it, done!

1. Click on the following link to download it on Java's website : Free Java Download
  2. On the next page, do not click on Agree and Start Download, instead click on See all Java downloads.
  3. Which should you choose? If you have a 64-bit Windows OS you MUST install the two versions (both 32-bit and 64-bit), otherwise the 32-bit is sufficient for a 32-bit Windows OS.
  4. Before installing the latest version of Java, it is recommended to uninstall all previous Java's installation. (How to -> Remove Older Versions)
  5. Complete the required installation depending of the type of Windows installation.

Java.PNG

JavaAgreement.PNG

JavaWindows.PNG

1. First step is to download the SDK Manager, to do so click on this link -> Download the SDK
  2. Next locate on the bottom of your screen the USE AN EXISTING IDE, click on it.
  3. On the Get the Android SDK page, tick the I have read and agree with the above terms and conditions box and click on the Download the SDK Tools for Windows button.
  4. Navigate to your Download folder, and locate a file named like this: installer_r21.1-windows.exe (N.B. The r21.1 version was available when I did this how to, your version could be different.)
  5. Double click on the installer_r21.1-windows.exe file to start the installation. Take good note where the file will be installed, generally the default SDK path is : C:\Users\your_session's_name\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk.
  7. Select all (CTRL + A) in this folder and Copy (CTRL +C) them for the next step.
  8. Now you need to create a new folder at the root of your C:\ drive named : AndroidSDK
  9. Open up the newly created folder and Paste (CTRL + V) the previously copied files.
  11. The SDK Manager will open a new window, click on Deselect All, then tick the following line in Tools : AndroidSDK Platform-tools
  12. Click on Install 1 Package..., accept the license agreement and click on Install let the manager do it's thing.
  16. Go back to the previous folder, the one located in this path : C:\Users\your_session's_name\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
  17. Click on the Uninstaller, we don't need this one anymore. Don't worry the other AndroidSDK folder won't be deleted.

AndroidSDK.PNG

GetSDKAndroid.PNG

DownloadSDK.PNG

Installer.PNG

SDK%20path.PNG

SDK%20Manager.PNG

2. Right click in a empty space of the folder and select in the contextual menu New -> Text Document
  3. Open this new Text Document and Copy/Paste this : c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
  7. Done! If you try to double click on your Start SDK shortcut, a command window should open with something like these lines :

Code:

Success!

This one is very easy, simply download and run the installer and let Windows do the rest. Drivers compatbile 32-bit or 64-bit

• Once the installation is completed, simply plug your phone via your USB cable and Windows "wizard manager" will now detect your phone.
  • If it doesn't work, unplug your phone and reboot your computer. Then plug back your phone once rebooted.
  • Done!

HTC%20Driver.PNG

3. In the command window, at the command line : C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> type this -> adb devices (Enter)
  4. The serial number of your phone should appear in the command window. If it is the case, then try this again : C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools> type this -> adb reboot (Enter)

StartSDK.PNG

This is it, I hope this tutorial was helpful, if you have some sort of problems let me know, I will try to help you at the best of my knowledge. Have fun hacking your Android!!

This works fine on windows 8 :D I needed that for my HTC Desire C and I managed to do with this! Thank you!

XGC75

Jan 12, 2013
:good:

Why isn't that driver link in a stickied thread?? Solved my connectivity issues.

Jun 27, 2013
Vatakara
Rooting My Htc Desire C

I need to know How to root my HTC DESIRE C ,like this beginner friendly method.Many websites are showing different ways to do it and some ways didn't work for some people iam afraid my phone becoms a brick.so please help xda developers.
:)
And this helped a lot....Thank You So Much

jared12

Jan 26, 2011
I have the HTC One for AT&T, I have the drivers installed and everything works fine when the phone is powered on I can transfer stuff back and forth easily. Although as soon as I boot my into the bootloader and select the fastboot and fastboot usb and when I run my adb devices in the CMD it comes up blank under the devices connected with several cables in all 4 usb ports. What is wrong? Help please

hawktime25

Oct 14, 2008
this helped me thanks. I followed everything to the tee. I only had a problem with changing the .txt to.bat extension however in notepad choosing save as and adding ".bat" in quotation marks allowed me to change the file extension

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Let's GO!

That's it, done!

Java.PNG

JavaAgreement.PNG

JavaWindows.PNG

AndroidSDK.PNG

GetSDKAndroid.PNG

DownloadSDK.PNG

Installer.PNG

SDK%20path.PNG

SDK%20Manager.PNG

Code:

Success!

• Done!

HTC%20Driver.PNG

StartSDK.PNG

Nice guide

Very concise :)