Guide: HTC Cruise Polaris Screen replacement/dismantling

Search This thread

Reuvenm

Mar 22, 2008
Tel-Aviv
It happened to me that the TC fell on the sidewalk face down, so I had to find and replace the screen. Couldn't find any pictorial guide so I decided to share my experience for the benefit of others with the same problem.

Cause: Cell phone shocked, fell down, hit
Symptoms: touch screen works OK, but display has cracks, blackened areas, which are spreading as time goes by.
Screen type : TC combines the matrix sensor (touch) and the LCD in 2 layers, the front touch-glass and shell, and the LCD itself underneath it.
Source of display: I bought via eBay on this source: Asia Bol
http://stores.ebay.com/newasiabol
Cost $70 inc. shipping and arrived within a week and a half. Rumors insists the at below $100 a screen is either factory dropout or refurbished.

Tools needed: Torx screwdriver T5-50, the size can be viewed after removing battery door, at lower corner.
A flat sharp tool ("fish knife") to help open the plastic case, but not too sharp to scratch the phone.

Here are the pictures and some notes:
1. Remove battery case and battery, SIM
2. Remove 2 screws from lower side
3. Prick open the shell with the flat tool
4. Prick open the top shell with the flat tool

5. CAREFUL as there are 2 tiny ribbons from the touch screen/hardware buttons into the PCB, one is held in place with sticky band (keys), the other (digitizer) is locked in-place with a lever, tiny one! - pull them out, not before noticing where they went into and lifting the lever on the smaller one.
6. Take apart the FRONT shell with the flat tool slowly as not to tear ribbons
7. Pull the LCD ribbon out
8. Carefully pull the old screen as it is held in place with sticky gum
9. Clean interior glass of phone if needed, pull out new screen protective sheet and put in place.
10. Connect new screen ribbon, 2 keyboard/jog tiny ribbons
11. Press shells in place
12. Pray you didn't forget anything and load SIM and battery
13. Good luck

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 5,292
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5,567
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 6,742
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5,233
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6,498
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 4,846
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 5,982
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 4,724
Last edited:

Reuvenm

Mar 22, 2008
Tel-Aviv
more pictures...

following...(please note that where it's marked on the above picture as "jog wheel" - it is not. it's the glass digitizer ribbon.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3,737
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 4,003
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4,037
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 4,344
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4,596
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 4,555
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3,959
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,881
Last edited:

rhov23

Feb 4, 2007
Great contribution! You give me hope for the next generation of xda'ers! :D

leftkats

Apr 20, 2008
Paralimni
great job.... thanks for sharing :)

My TC has got a big scratch on the screen (cheers to Jack, my cat who is responsible for that :D)...

I just ordered a new LCD screen, and by "mistake" i only ordered the digitizer...

Now after reading this post, it seems that I accidentaly did the right thing, since is only the front panel which is scratched and not the LCD itself... Am I correct?

Anyway do i have to disassemble the whole phone to get the front panel out???

Reuvenm

Mar 22, 2008
Tel-Aviv
As you see on the completly dismanteled TC picture above (left on the last picts row), there are:
Glass top, actually the outer top shell, and the LCD & Digitizer are one piece (the 'glassy' square with flat orange attachement)
If the scratch in on the shell glass, that's not the LCD screen, it is the so called "LCD LENS GLASS" or "faceplate".
If the TC fell and you see cracks and smears on the screen instead of what should be displayed, that's the LCD.
Please make sure where your scratches are.

Last edited:

leftkats

Apr 20, 2008
Paralimni
As you see on the completly dismanteled TC picture above (left on the last picts row), there are:
Glass top, actually the outer top shell, and the LCD & Digitizer are one piece (the 'glassy' square with flat orange attachement)
If the scratch in on the shell glass, that's not the LCD screen, it is the so called "LCD LENS GLASS" or "faceplate".
If the TC fell and you see cracks and smears on the screen instead of what should be displayed, that's the LCD.
Please make sure where your scratches are.

Thanks for the Info,you ve been very helpful :).... Well my scratch is on the outside and I couldnt find any outside faceplate for my TC... Instead I ordered the digitizer (see picture attached) which for me it seemed as the right option (I did that before reading your post :confused:)... Now I will just have to wait and see when it comes, if i did the right thing....:).... I will let you know

Attachments

• 96c0_1.jpg
    96c0_1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 494

Reuvenm

Mar 22, 2008
Tel-Aviv
well, I was (and still) confused :) as I was looking for some info about the screen assembly, and the only one I've found was on this lab site (not particular to TC model though).
Please read the paragraph in RED starting with "ATTENTION..." later on that page (the link above includes Google's translation from russian).
More confusing is that the part you mention here IS available as is...

Reuvenm

Mar 22, 2008
Tel-Aviv
puzzle solved.
I was curious so I dismantled the TC again, than I notice the the glass shell IS carrying a tiny ribbon, which means IT IS the digitizer (I though it's coming from the hardware keys).
So I assume you ordered the right part.

leftkats

Apr 20, 2008
Paralimni
puzzle solved.
I was curious so I dismantled the TC again, than I notice the the glass shell IS carrying a tiny ribbon, which means IT IS the digitizer (I though it's coming from the hardware keys).
So I assume you ordered the right part.

cheers... I feel ever so glad!!! :)... but you would recon I would have to go through all the procedure to get it out and install the new one?

Reuvenm

Mar 22, 2008
Tel-Aviv
Actually it's a very delicate work with a steady hand and non scratching behaviour.
points to notice:
- The side silver bars are detached by sliding as well as pulling gently, as there are L shaped pins coming out of them into a niche in the body.
- The glass digitizer ribbon is run from one side of the main board into the other, so unlocking it (small lever and pull out) is needed as well as having the upper and rear shell apart as much as allowed, Or having the LCD wide ribbon out (& digitizer small one) and let the 2 shells free for easy access.

Saying that, it means that the procedure is almost identical as for replacing the LCD as the glass/digitizer is attached to front glass with sticky rubber and you need to get in there to release the tiny ribbon.

In your case I assume you also have to pull the bottom hardware keys' plate (assembly), in order to release it from the old shell/glass.
If that is the case, be carefull as the assembly is pinched into place by fragile plastic bumps that keep it in tight place in order to make a good push action (click). You'll have to widen the shell sides a bit and help it out.

! bent ribbon, and some mulfunction may occure.

Attachments

• tc_shell.JPG
    tc_shell.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 869
  • tc_shell_3.jpg
    tc_shell_3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 850
Last edited:

microdrive

Feb 11, 2007
Singapore
Awesome Guide, Reuvenm you're the MAN!:D

I'd been searching all over for this guide so as to attempt to remove both the front and back camera. My Company just implemented this silly policy that doesn't allow phone w camera :mad:

Reuvenm, by any chance that you've had a good look at both the front and back camera and if it's a type which can be un-plug easily? Pls do not bother to disassemble the TC again, really. Just wanna check cos you may have shot some other pics of your disassembled gem that may show the front and back cameras

Anyway, great job and thanks a bunch in advance :)

Reuvenm

Mar 22, 2008
Tel-Aviv
you can disable the camera by software & registry, but I guess they want it to be out of sight..
as you see on the left pict on the first row of images, the front camera is a cubic aparatuse with 3-wings circle in the middle, just underneath the ext GPS antena hole:
attachment.php

this can be pulled out but I think it's ribbon (connection flat wires) is going via a cooling metal plate element and then to a PCB connector. Not sure about that as it's very delicate in there.
as for the back camera, I can't recall :(
here is a close up:

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 728

microdrive

Feb 11, 2007
Singapore
Hi Reuvenm, thanks for the really quick reply. Yeah i wanna get them removed altogether. So I took a leap of faith and viola! I had gotten the Back camera (3M pixel cam) out!

Followed the steps as you had illustrated and yes the 3M pixel camera was attached using some kind of L-shape flat metallic ribbon cable that ends up w a PCB connector. Wasn't difficult to remove though. I'll try to disassemble the Front camera tomorrow when i've got the time cos got to catch up on some work now.

A really big THANK YOU to Reuvenm for posting this amazing guide and i'll get some shots of the Front Cam removal and post them back here again.:D

nerdo

Apr 11, 2008
Outstanding work man :)
You really got the guts gotta say ;)

Elegantly done and explained!! I copied this guide with pics for future reference:rolleyes:
This opens the door for a whole new era I guess, right guys!? :D

ravest

Apr 23, 2008
Bucharest
glass deformation

Hello gusy

Can you give me a suggestion ?
One day i noticed this "stain" on my screen when the device is off.
At first i thought it was liquid traped insinde the lcd (as seen on other phones) but it turned out not to be.
This stain is visible only in bright neon light (at my workplace), and it moves or dissapears almost completly when i press the screen.
Outside, or in normal light the sceen has no problem.
I think that the top glass part of the screen is to big and it bends a little causing this.
Can i remove the top layer of glass, cutt let's say a half of milimiter from the side, and stick it back on ? or is there someting holding it under ?
I noticed that in a corner i could peal it off, but i don;t want to take any chances to breack something.

thanks in advance