A Tale of Two EVO 4G LTEs: Yellow Screens, Light Leakage, and Stickers

Search This thread

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
I had Sprint sent me a replacement EVO 4G LTE because I had a piece of dust trapped in between the gorilla glass and the LCD (visible in the first picture below) and I had really bad light leakage from the home button (second picture below). However, when I was taking pictures side-by-side to show how much better the light leakage was on the new phone, I noticed that the screen on the new phone has a much yellower tint than the old phone (third picture below). The new phone is on the left, the old one is on the right. Both phones are showing the same image at exactly the same brightness levels.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another interesting note is that the box from my first phone was sealed with a 2" diameter clear sticker, while the second was sealed with a 0.75" diameter sticker (picture below). Both say "Made in Taiwan", but I'm thinking they must've been from different facilities.

attachment.php

There are three takeaways from this:
* There are at least two production lines producing the phones
* There are some yellower screens (perhaps a different supplier or assembly line)
* Not all phones have the home button light leakage problem, so you DON'T have to live with it.

That said, I'd rather have the yellow screen than the light leakage.

Attachments

• P1060667.s.jpg
    P1060667.s.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 2,295
  • P1060662.s.jpg
    P1060662.s.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,307
  • P1060665.s.jpg
    P1060665.s.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 715
  • P1060677.s.JPG
    P1060677.s.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,279
Last edited:
Reactions: ckoadiyn
Wow those are some major differences. I never had light leakage with my original Evo or my 3D but I do have some minor leakage with my LTE. :( It's only noticeable on black screens and isn't as bad as the one in your picture but still kinda sucks.

Edit: I just checked my box...it was a bigger sticker one. It seems like the one with problems for you also had the big sticker. Perhaps we can get more people to give a larger sample size.

Last edited:

jdawg0024

Jul 5, 2007
When I 1st got my EVO LTE I thought the Screen was yellow as well, but then I remembered the iPhone having the same problem and it was a issue dealing with Glue not yet dry. I waited a couple of days and I have a perfect color screen. I am not saying this is the case with yours just letting you know my experience.

Sent from my EVO LTE

ImaWinRAR

Sep 19, 2011
Chicago
the first LTE that I had had a loose vibrating motor (you could hear it rattle if you shook it) and a faulty camera button, it didn't have dual action like it was suppose to - this one had a big sticker on it. I had BB replace it after they got another shipment after launch day, very minor light leakage but no major problems - this one had a small sticker

coincidence?

I think not

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010

Attachments

• P1060681.s.jpg
    P1060681.s.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 2,214
Last edited:
Reactions: ckoadiyn

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
This is interesting and that is some aweful.light leakage I wonder what the other guy had that had a whole led dead on the bottom lol.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

NissanNick

Jun 12, 2011
003 here too... I'll look to see the sticker I have tomorrow... No problems like you are having.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

DB13

Oct 16, 2010
Reidsville,NC
Mine is a Hardware 0003 with a big sticker. Its doesn't haven any light leakage but it does have a yellow screen hopefully it is just the glue...

Sent from my EVO using XDA

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
For the sake of adding a larger sample:

Small sticker, no yellow tint and no light leakage. I do have a stuck pixel and a dead one but only because I looked for them they are not noticeable otherwise and seeing as there could be bigger problems I won't exchange mine =p phone is flawless otherwise.

d2daanny

May 28, 2012
I have hardware version 3, small sticker, no light leakage, and no yellow screen.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

purock

Jul 21, 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
I actually had a really bad yellow screen and now I am starting to think it was the glue. The whites have gotten whiter over time.

I've owned my phone for a week and half now. I'm feeling much better about the screen now. I was using a screen adjuster to add more blue, but I've even stopped using that.

Hope that makes you feel better.

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
Another interesting data point: The old phone's box had a smaller cutout for the power button two squares of silicone glued to the cardboard on either side. The new phone has a larger cutout with no silicone.

My guess is that the original boxes had trouble with the power button getting pressed, so the silicone pads were a temporary solution until they could make revised boxes.

IMAG0005.S.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0135.s.jpg
    IMAG0135.s.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMAG0005.S.jpg
    IMAG0005.S.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 271

RegnierD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Hardware 0003, big sticker box with padding for the power button.

No conceivable problems with this phone. Screen might have been a little yellow at first, but this thing is flawless as I'm using it right now. No dead pixels, no nasty yellow screen, no separation or light bleed. The only problem I have is that I have to set my camera saturation to -1 or everybody's skin is pink, and that's already been done. ;)

This phone is a BEAST.

Tapatalked from my shiny new HTC Evo LTE

kmyerslp

Aug 9, 2010
Missouri
Big sticker, hardware version 3, no yellow, no light leak, day 1 pickup.

My og evo had horrible light leakage for all 3 that I had.

Sent from my Evo LTE using Tapatalk 2

eXplicit815

Jan 10, 2008
Apopka, FL
I have the same type of light leak on my home button. I only notice it on black backgrounds and in the dark. I guess I'll be visiting the Sprint store on my way home.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Big sticker, hardware version 3, no yellow, no light leak, day 1 pickup.

My og evo had horrible light leakage for all 3 that I had.

Sent from my Evo LTE using Tapatalk 2

Mine is HW 0003, and had the smaller sticker with light leakage from the home button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had Sprint sent me a replacement EVO 4G LTE because I had a piece of dust trapped in between the gorilla glass and the LCD (visible in the first picture below) and I had really bad light leakage from the home button (second picture below). However, when I was taking pictures side-by-side to show how much better the light leakage was on the new phone, I noticed that the screen on the new phone has a much yellower tint than the old phone (third picture below). The new phone is on the left, the old one is on the right. Both phones are showing the same image at exactly the same brightness levels.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another interesting note is that the box from my first phone was sealed with a 2" diameter clear sticker, while the second was sealed with a 0.75" diameter sticker (picture below). Both say "Made in Taiwan", but I'm thinking they must've been from different facilities.

attachment.php

There are three takeaways from this:
    * There are at least two production lines producing the phones
    * There are some yellower screens (perhaps a different supplier or assembly line)
    * Not all phones have the home button light leakage problem, so you DON'T have to live with it.

That said, I'd rather have the yellow screen than the light leakage.
    Both phones are hardware rev 3. I changed the yellow screen picture in my post above to one that better shows the tint. Hopefully it will go away as the glue dries -- this post about the One X seems to indicate that it will: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1649434

EDIT: This thread seems to make a lot of sense -- either the screens will have light bleed, or they use more glue which will be yellow until it cures: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26017414&postcount=19