[KitKat 4.4 Update] Nexus 10 won't Get Translucent Navigation and Notification Bars!

Search This thread

JosephRaphael

Nov 2, 2013
NJ
Sadly, Google Nexus 10 will not get the Translucent Navigation and Notification Bars with the Android 4.4.1 KitKat update, which allow the wallpaper to go full screen from top to bottom like in the Nexus 5.

Google devs Disabled the Translucent bars on Nexus 10 (Manta) because it "performs poorly on this device"... 2GB Ram and a powerful Quad-core Mali TS04 GPU and it performs poorly ?! May be because of the High-res display, I personally think it's a GPU issue.

I know not everyone cares about a the "Translucent bar" issue that can easily be reverted, but what I am trying to find out is a reasonable explanation from Google regarding this matter.

Manta source code includes the following code listed on [config.xml] which contains the device configurations, Screenshot below too.

Code:
 <!-- Translucent status & navigation bars perform poorly on this device -->
<bool name="config_enableTranslucentDecor">false</bool>

* Update [5-Nov]: I have contacted Google and currently awaiting a response, Hopefully I will get one...

* Google Reply [8-Nov]: Google's reply was a little disappointing but at least they promised to tell the users if they will "remove" any feature from the update, which is good. Here is the email:

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Google, I'd be happy to help you out with your question on the KitKat update. I'll do my best to provide you with a solution.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, we can only provide information for updates that are supported by your device right now. Google will let all of their customers about what the new update includes. You will not be left in the dark on what Google added/removed from the update.

Regards,

The Google Team

Latest KitKat 4.4 build for Nexus 10 is (KRT16S)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-02-12-57-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-02-12-57-53.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2,983
Last edited:

Matthileo

Apr 19, 2009
Wichita, KS
“Sorry guys, your high end device just can't support what is essentially an extremely minor change. Don't worry, there's good news: you can throw down another $500 on the new nexus 10 when it comes out. We promise to fully support it.“

[sent from my nexus 10]

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
The way things have been going with android lately, I'm surprised we're getting kit kat at all. This is most likely my last nexus device, maybe even android.

Reactions: NeoMagus

schmolch

Nov 27, 2010
The Google experience launcher also performs quite poorly on my n10 while it runs perfectly smooth on my n4.

Matthileo

Apr 19, 2009
Wichita, KS
Actually, now that I think about it I have an alternate theory.

There's a very good chance I'm off base here, but on my Nexus 10 I've noticed that there are some very occasional graphical glitches ( back lights flickering, and horizontal lines) that have to do with things been overlaid on top of each other. Maybe the transparency was causing similar graphical glitches. That said, if that is the reason they decided to leave it out then Google really screwed up here. They need to fix the underlying problem, not just remove transparency from the status bar.

[sent from my nexus 10]

Reactions: Bait-Fish

tgrgrd00

Aug 27, 2010
New Orleans
Did they give a more exact release date for manta? Haven't seen any firm date in my searches is why I ask. But it appears the source is ready for release with this kind if detail.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Lesser Version

Oct 29, 2010
I hope 4.4 improves performance! My N10 feels so... Outdated. Its not laggy as such but its definitely not smooth!

My N10 has never been "smooth" since the day I opened the box. Stock or custom roms, many different kernels and I still feel like I took a $500 dollar hit for a 350 dollar tablet. I am considering selling it

Nathtech

Mar 22, 2012
Manchester
www.youtube.com
My N10 has never been "smooth" since the day I opened the box. Stock or custom roms, many different kernels and I still feel like I took a $500 dollar hit for a 350 dollar tablet. I am considering selling it

At least wait until KitKat, you never know what it might do to our tablet.

Also, isn't it weird that every other nexus device including the gnex already has a 4.4 ROM, whilst we still don't? I really want to try it out!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

JosephRaphael

Nov 2, 2013
NJ
Did they give a more exact release date for manta? Haven't seen any firm date in my searches is why I ask. But it appears the source is ready for release with this kind if detail.

No date yet, the source is still a work in progress... but it doesn't look good for the manta so far! it's the only device that have this feature disabled without a reasonable explanation.

krispy1

Apr 28, 2011
Toronto
The Mali T604 is a bottleneck for the nexus 10.

It has the same memory bandwidth as ipad 3 & 4 12.8gbps but pushing almost 25% more pixels. On top of that android is not as GPU optimized.

While the t604 would be great at 720 and 1080p, 2560x1600 is maxing out the gpus capabilities.

Indiwiz

The final 4.4 hasn't even been released for the Nexus 10 yet guys, relax.

Yeah, we're gonna have it thru PA anyways. But if that is official, I'm not too fond of Google's decisions lately. No transparent bars for us, no 4.4 (the version of android for older devices) on older Nexi.
Its VERY small things that really don't affect me personally, but y'know.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Yeah, we're gonna have it thru PA anyways. But if that is official, I'm not too fond of Google's decisions lately. No transparent bars for us, no 4.4 (the version of android for older devices) on older Nexi.
Its VERY small things that really don't affect me personally, but y'know.

Ehhh... I think its fine. Aokp also has the transparent status bar and as someone else pointed out all you have to do is change one little line to true. It is a little worrying that theynsay it causes problems though. I hope Google doesn't slack on us. Anyways as people have mentioned the manta hasn't even been released officially yet so we can't be sure it won't change right?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Indiwiz

Ehhh... I think its fine. Aokp also has the transparent status bar and as someone else pointed out all you have to do is change one little line to true. It is a little worrying that theynsay it causes problems though. I hope Google doesn't slack on us. Anyways as people have mentioned the manta hasn't even been released officially yet so we can't be sure it won't change right?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

You're 100% right. I don't think Google will let us down though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sadly, Google Nexus 10 will not get the Translucent Navigation and Notification Bars with the Android 4.4.1 KitKat update, which allow the wallpaper to go full screen from top to bottom like in the Nexus 5.

Google devs Disabled the Translucent bars on Nexus 10 (Manta) because it "performs poorly on this device"... 2GB Ram and a powerful Quad-core Mali TS04 GPU and it performs poorly ?! May be because of the High-res display, I personally think it's a GPU issue.

I know not everyone cares about a the "Translucent bar" issue that can easily be reverted, but what I am trying to find out is a reasonable explanation from Google regarding this matter.

Manta source code includes the following code listed on [config.xml] which contains the device configurations, Screenshot below too.

Code:
     <!-- Translucent status & navigation bars perform poorly on this device -->
    <bool name="config_enableTranslucentDecor">false</bool>

* Update [5-Nov]: I have contacted Google and currently awaiting a response, Hopefully I will get one...

* Google Reply [8-Nov]: Google's reply was a little disappointing but at least they promised to tell the users if they will "remove" any feature from the update, which is good. Here is the email:

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Google, I'd be happy to help you out with your question on the KitKat update. I'll do my best to provide you with a solution.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, we can only provide information for updates that are supported by your device right now. Google will let all of their customers about what the new update includes. You will not be left in the dark on what Google added/removed from the update.

Regards,

The Google Team

Latest KitKat 4.4 build for Nexus 10 is (KRT16S)
    “Sorry guys, your high end device just can't support what is essentially an extremely minor change. Don't worry, there's good news: you can throw down another $500 on the new nexus 10 when it comes out. We promise to fully support it.“

[sent from my nexus 10]
    Miss JBQ...

Sent from my Nexus 4
    every f*cking device i get i get screwed over, my first phone Galaxy S plus got dropped about 6months after i bought it a week into release, i then got htc one S that got dropped 12months after release and now the f*cking nexus 10 is being **** on because they have a new device coming out, i thought this kitkat was supposed to be tuned for lesser spec'ed devices ? So far all they have done is made excuses that it runs sh*t on high end hardware. The poor Galaxy Nexus has also been dumped.........what are google playing at!!!!!

Bro same here :(
    I asked my uncle to get nexus 10 over 7,thinking nexus 10 will have amazing development but thanks to crapsungs crap CPU we have one of the sadest development of all nexus devices,And now my Xperia L also has sad development :/