[Q] CAF vs AOSP

Search This thread

Jan 5, 2013
Hello, just got my Nexus 5 in the mail and I'm happy to join this community along with my previous device forum :)

But my question is what's the difference between CAF and AOSP? And how would I tell if a ROM is based on CAF or AOSP?

I did a little research myself where CAF is Code Aurora Forums and that CM is now based off of it. It's also what's behind Qualcomm's kernel work and whatnot. AOSP is android as it is now. It was formerly based off CAF but bridged off a while back then and the .libs are a lot different from CAF now. Right?
(Thanks @poondog for getting me started on this!)

But how would I be able to tell if a ROM is CAF or AOSP? Would that really impact what kernels I flash and such? (like CAF ROM only CAF kernel)

Also what would the advantages between the 2, if there are any?

Thanks a lot!
Sincerely,

Skinpipe

Apr 5, 2013
West Midlands
CAF=cyanogen 11 based roms, not all kernels work unless they state CM support in the OP which isnt many nowadays.
AOSP=the majority of roms in the original development section, also you will have a larger choice of kernels to play with.

its your choice some people have always loved CM i personally love AOSP but i have used CM in the past but with the N5 the majority of kernel development is with AOSP.

I think you could look into using multirom and test AOSP and CM at the same time but be aware of kernels not supporting CM just read the OP carefully to avoid problems.

i dont know if this helps, if not ill get my coat...

P

paranoidsuperhero

Noob question: Isn't cyanogen based off of AOSP anyway since they're both android?

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Noob question: Isn't cyanogen based off of AOSP anyway since they're both android?

yes http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/About

" So what is the difference between Android and CyanogenMod?

About 1-2 times a year, the vanilla Android operating system (known as AOSP, or the Android Open Source Project) is internally developed, then released to the public, by Google. They provide the source code to anyone who wants to download it. The CyanogenMod community, comprised of unpaid volunteers and enthusiasts from around the world, takes this newest Android code and "ports" it to dozens of new and older (aka "legacy") devices. At the same time, other CyanogenMod developers start adding features, fixes, and improvements that Google didn't include to the CyanogenMod code, which benefits all the devices. The CyanogenMod community has a whole infrastructure for people to build and test experimental versions, report bugs, and contribute back to the source code.

Sometimes features that started in CyanogenMod have appeared in newer version of "official" Android. And every time Android does a new "code dump" of their latest version, CyanogenMod benefits from Google's changes.

In this way, CyanogenMod is one (but not the only) community distribution of what started as vanilla AOSP. The Android community is vibrant, with numerous "modders" and "themers" and "performance enhancers" taking the source code and doing incredible things to it. Generally, there is a spirit of sharing knowledge and empowering people to experiment with controlling their devices, often giving old phones new life, and hopefully having fun in the process. "

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yes http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/About

" So what is the difference between Android and CyanogenMod?

About 1-2 times a year, the vanilla Android operating system (known as AOSP, or the Android Open Source Project) is internally developed, then released to the public, by Google. They provide the source code to anyone who wants to download it. The CyanogenMod community, comprised of unpaid volunteers and enthusiasts from around the world, takes this newest Android code and "ports" it to dozens of new and older (aka "legacy") devices. At the same time, other CyanogenMod developers start adding features, fixes, and improvements that Google didn't include to the CyanogenMod code, which benefits all the devices. The CyanogenMod community has a whole infrastructure for people to build and test experimental versions, report bugs, and contribute back to the source code.

Sometimes features that started in CyanogenMod have appeared in newer version of "official" Android. And every time Android does a new "code dump" of their latest version, CyanogenMod benefits from Google's changes.

In this way, CyanogenMod is one (but not the only) community distribution of what started as vanilla AOSP. The Android community is vibrant, with numerous "modders" and "themers" and "performance enhancers" taking the source code and doing incredible things to it. Generally, there is a spirit of sharing knowledge and empowering people to experiment with controlling their devices, often giving old phones new life, and hopefully having fun in the process. "
    CAF=cyanogen 11 based roms, not all kernels work unless they state CM support in the OP which isnt many nowadays.
    AOSP=the majority of roms in the original development section, also you will have a larger choice of kernels to play with.

its your choice some people have always loved CM i personally love AOSP but i have used CM in the past but with the N5 the majority of kernel development is with AOSP.

I think you could look into using multirom and test AOSP and CM at the same time but be aware of kernels not supporting CM just read the OP carefully to avoid problems.

i dont know if this helps, if not ill get my coat...
    Hello, just got my Nexus 5 in the mail and I'm happy to join this community along with my previous device forum :)

But my question is what's the difference between CAF and AOSP? And how would I tell if a ROM is based on CAF or AOSP?

I did a little research myself where CAF is Code Aurora Forums and that CM is now based off of it. It's also what's behind Qualcomm's kernel work and whatnot. AOSP is android as it is now. It was formerly based off CAF but bridged off a while back then and the .libs are a lot different from CAF now. Right?
    (Thanks @poondog for getting me started on this!)

But how would I be able to tell if a ROM is CAF or AOSP? Would that really impact what kernels I flash and such? (like CAF ROM only CAF kernel)

Also what would the advantages between the 2, if there are any?

Thanks a lot!
    Sincerely,