[Q] advice on using ADB and fastboot for backups?

Search This thread

Bob Simons

Nov 21, 2007
Carrboro, NC
I'm trying to backup my phone before making any substantial changes to it. I've done the de la Vega root and made the AT&T APN changes and that's about it. I wanted to use the ADB fastboot commands to load CWM temporarily to do a backup. So I've installed the sdk and downloaded the CWM 6.0.4.5 to the platform tools folder. I found an article on androidcentral which explains how to do this on a GN (which looks a lot like an S3) which instructs on how to use the fastboot boot xxxxxx.img command. I'm stuck before that trying to download the CWM to the phone.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. the instructions suggest booting into the bootloader by using the ADB reboot bootloader command. That puts it in a "downloading... Do not turn off target" screen which is captioned Odin Mode and on the bottom of the text it says Write Protection Enabled. Did I miss a step with Sudo?

the next step is described as running fastboot devices to see if the computer sees it. This gets no response but the prior reboot command would still work. Finally it ignore the fastboot boot command as it did the fastboot devices command.

Can anyone tell me where I've dropped the ball and what to do?

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a
You can't use fastboot with Note 3. It's not supported. But you can run adb backup I guess. Also you can image partitions with dd but not familiar with it. Just search the forum...

Last edited:

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
YOURE LOOKING UP DIRECTIONS FOR THE WRONG PHONE!!! STOP NOW! Never...ever use directions meant for another phone unless it's been confirmed by others that it works; or unless you like being a pioneer.

What exactly are you trying to backup? Your EFS, FSG, modemst1 and modemst2 should be the only backups you need. Everything else is "rebuildable" yourself. If you killed the bootloader msmercy42 started a N900T hard brick unbrick thread. If you have a soft brick you can always Odin the stock firmware.

CAREFUL when playing around in adb. One wrong number means a hard brick. Meaning if you meant to type mmcblk0p3 in a "dd if" command and instead typed mmcblk0p2 you might end up with a device upon reboot shows a completely black screen (hard brick).

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!

panitsos

Jun 28, 2011
Help! Please

I have rooted my phone thru odin mode, downloaded a rom to install and it wont let me it says on my screen downloading do not turn off target, what can i do? nothings happening to the phone its been stuck on this screen for an hour.

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
As far as I know, you install a ROM through a custom recovery, not through Odin.

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!