[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

Search This thread

venereo

Oct 17, 2011
Hi! Currently using this as 7.1.1 has some weird problem with the auto brightness. Just wandering, my setting is on dynamically adjust and smart profile but it's seems like when I change my environment to under sun it's doesn't seems to change the brightness automatically only until I press the refresh button then it will change. Did I do something wrong? Or any setting can be change? I de-optimiezed the battery optimization in my phone setting already but still to no avail.
That's the normal behaviour when lux is open

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DarkWolf747

Mar 13, 2013
First, love the app!

Second, hate the Screen Overlay warnings I get (G935FD w/ stock rooted 6.0.1). Sometimes after I turn lux off but don't get the permission window once more, therfore stuck with no permission allowed.

If any one can help automatically turn lux to sleep when a permission screen is opened, I'd appreciate it and I'm sure may other will too.
If there isn't an easy fix, maybe a Tasker profile would be able to help. E. G. I made a Tasker profile which turns lux off whenever the app installed is working so I center press "install" directly.

Thanks!

I found it with a little sleuthing! Add the app "Package Installer" to the sleep list and that will sleep lux when permissions are requested. I actually used the lastpass app to find it - when permissions were prompted, I used the notification to have lastpass search for the password... which gave me the name of the app. That app should really be on the default list of sleep apps.

Last edited:

Shabloool

Sep 1, 2013
I found it with a little sleuthing! Add the app "Package Installer" to the sleep list and that will sleep lux when permissions are requested. I actually used the lastpass app to find it - when permissions were prompted, I used the notification to have lastpass search for the password... which gave me the name of the app. That app should really be on the default list of sleep apps.

Wow, that's great!
it's funny actually. I used that same app to put Lux to sleep on lollipop. There I was unable to press "Install" during installations from "Unknown Sources" .
Thanks for replying with this! I'll try it.

I must say I am now using a task on Takser which kills two other apps that use screen overlays therefore cause the same problem as Lux (Swiftly Switch and GMD Gestures). The task also and puts Lux to sleep, then waits for a few seconds and opens that apps and put Lux out of sleep. I have a shortcut for the task in the Swiftly Switch favorites. it works great so far!

BillTheCat

Jun 17, 2008
Milford, PA
Annnnd... I'm back. A couple questions, please.

1) Does Lux function by actually dimming the LED backlight, or does it simply shutter the pixels to limit the transmission of light?

2) Is there an easier way to toggle overly on/off when there's a conflict where Lux interferes with an app? I'm asking because the 'overlay' permission is becoming quite the hassle. For example, I fired up Endomondo for the first time on my HTC 10 and needed to grand permission for location, but had to amp up the brightness on the screen to see it in full daylight - so I had to get back into the car to be able to see the screen. Is this a case where once we disallow the overly, change permissions for any given app and then re-enable the overly the settings will persist?

Is there a workaround that will make this less painless?

dcrandon

Feb 19, 2011
Hi Vito,

I wanted to let you know that Lux crashes and stops immediately upon launch with Android O beta 3 released 2 days ago. It worked fine with the previous 2 betas of Android O.

This is with my Nexus 6P.

Reactions: intern and sdpluth

zxcv741

Aug 1, 2016
Hello,
I've used the app for a long time on s4 and then p9lite, but since the upgrade to emui 5.0 and android 7.0 lux keeps turning itself off and on, is there any solution for that?

cdysthe

Oct 28, 2008
Gloucester, MA
I know I can add apps to the Sleep List to prevent the overlay warning and put Lux temporarily to sleep. This works well except for that I do not know which app to add for the permission pop-ups that also triggers the overlay warning. Anyone know?

SolsticeZero

Jun 2, 2010
Houston
For some reason, with Lux installed, any time I reboot my phone, as soon as the phone starts up the "Draw over other apps" settings screen pops up when I unlock my device. If I uninstall Lux, I do not have this problem. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using a OnePlus 5

Last edited:

Infy_AsiX

Feb 13, 2012
Brisbane
Annnnd... I'm back. A couple questions, please.

1) Does Lux function by actually dimming the LED backlight, or does it simply shutter the pixels to limit the transmission of light?

2) Is there an easier way to toggle overly on/off when there's a conflict where Lux interferes with an app? I'm asking because the 'overlay' permission is becoming quite the hassle. For example, I fired up Endomondo for the first time on my HTC 10 and needed to grand permission for location, but had to amp up the brightness on the screen to see it in full daylight - so I had to get back into the car to be able to see the screen. Is this a case where once we disallow the overly, change permissions for any given app and then re-enable the overly the settings will persist?

Is there a workaround that will make this less painless?

1. It uses an overlay unless you root and use KCAL support or CF.lumen integration. See in the advanced settings.

2. If using the root methods, there's no overlay interference as it doesn't exist as explained before. Also the night mode and performance is greatly improved when using CF.lumen integration. Here's it's thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711912

dcrandon

Feb 19, 2011
I've given up on Lux. It has not been updated in over a year, so I don't think the developer cares anymore. Plus, it's broken in Android o beta 8.0. So it's not likely to work after everybody upgrades anyway

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
I've given up on Lux. It has not been updated in over a year, so I don't think the developer cares anymore. Plus, it's broken in Android o beta 8.0. So it's not likely to work after everybody upgrades anyway
Why fix what isn't broken, it's been working fine for me since KK across two phones. There's no "write a goodbye post on xda" prompt before it let's you uninstall so I don't see why you felt the need to make this useless post.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

dcrandon

Feb 19, 2011
Why fix what isn't broken, it's been working fine for me since KK across two phones. There's no "write a goodbye post on xda" prompt before it let's you uninstall so I don't see why you felt the need to make this useless post.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Well, Rakuu, you're sort of a jerk huh?

Anyway....since the developer hasn't replied to anything in a long, long time, and, as I just told you it's broken in Android O, I suggest you stick with Android 7 and never upgrade again, unless the developer does. To bad you'll be left out in the cold in about 2 months.

p50kombi

Dec 20, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Well, Rakuu, you're sort of a jerk huh?

Anyway....since the developer hasn't replied to anything in a long, long time, and, as I just told you it's broken in Android O, I suggest you stick with Android 7 and never upgrade again, unless the developer does. To bad you'll be left out in the cold in about 2 months.

calm down everyone..
I spoke to the Dev not too too long ago and the app is still being developed though at a much slower pace.
I'm sure something will turn up before or shortly after O is officially released.
To adapt something to work on an android O preview beta is not really a priority I imagine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    unnamed.png

Lux - The Original Android Auto-Brightness App

So I thought I should make an XDA thread for Lux, over a year after releasing it to the Play Store!

FULL or FREE

Issues/Suggestions

If you have any issues or suggestions, please add them to the public issue tracker found here. Be sure to search first, duplicated issues will not work in your favour.

News
    • Update to 1.51 released to Play Store!
      - Profiles. Have different behaviour for day and night!
      - Root plug-ins. Custom kernel with RGB control? Make a plug-in to utilise it!
      - Improved notification
      - Low pass filter
      - Cubic interpolation
      - Polish/French/Russian/German/Italian translation
      - Manual sunrise location input
      - Control Dashboard slider with vol. keys
      - Fade duration/step
      - Reduced battery usage
      - Fixes

• Update to 1.06 released to Play Store!
      - Automatic night mode (uses location for sunset/sunrise).
      - Notification priority
      - Enhanced dashboard and notification UI
      - Enable/disable and refresh Lux via Tasker
      - Bug fixes

• Update to 0.76 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed brightness issues after call

• Update to 0.74 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed max/phone brightness preferences swapped
      - Added ignore 0 lux option
      - Made static phone brightness optional

• Update to 0.70 released to Play Store!
      - New 'ascending' automatic mode for zero jitter!
      - Expandable notification for added control (Android 4.1+)
      - Improved efficiency
      - Install to OS functionality
      - Set min/max brightness bounds
      - Adjustable night mode
      - Improved persistence (Android won't kill it!)
      - Fixed Nexus 7 255 luma bug
      - Fixed Tasker 'on wake' revert bug
      - Compat. mode is now known as 'sleep mode'
      - Night Mode now default Dashboard action (hold for Astro. mode)
      - Misc. tweaks and fixes.

App Description

Lux isn't your ordinary brightness app. It intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in. If, for example, you step into a dimly lit room, Lux will automatically lower the brightness of your display to make it not only comfortable to read, but to also preserve battery power.
    Lux provides the option to automatically adjust the backlight at fixed intervals (periodic mode), when a change in environment is detected (dynamic mode), or when the phone wakes from sleep. It's also possible to adjust the backlight manually. Simply disable automatic mode and you can use it like a traditional brightness tool!
    Perhaps the best thing about Lux is that you can teach it how to behave. If the backlight is too bright or dim for your liking, simply open the provided Dashboard, adjust the brightness slider to the level you desire, then hold the link button. Lux will use this new 'link' as a reference in future.

Give it a go! I want you to test Lux for more than the 15 minute refund period offered by Google. I understand that some devices may not have the best quality light sensor, and that you may need more time to play around with settings. If you find that Lux doesn't suit you after the 15 minutes is up, you can request a refund at any time via e-mail - no questions asked.

★FEATURES★
    ■ Custom auto brightness.
    ■ Sub-zero brightness to make reading in the dark significantly less irritating.
    ■ Battery efficient
    ■ Handy brightness widget
    ■ Option to use the camera to read in ambient light.
    ■ Power-user settings such as choice of interpolation, sensor debugging, and linked sample editing.
    ■ Backup to SD.
    ■ 'Ascending' auto mode for phones with inaccurate light sensors.
    ■ Gradual fade for backlight adjustments.
    ■ Astronomer mode adds a red filter to the screen to preserve the eyesight of stargazers.
    ■ Jitter control to prevent constant small changes to the backlight.
    ■ Automatic night mode, to change the colour temperature of the display for comfortable night time viewing.
    ■ Add app specific exceptions via sleep mode
    ■ No ads, or other nuisances.
    ■ Tasker and Locale support!
    Note: Please disable other brightness apps before using Lux. The author is not liable for any issues caused when using this app.

★PERMISSIONS★
    TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values, if camera input is selected.
    DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
    READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
    MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
    RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
    COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.
    IN APP BILLING: Required for purchasing future device specific root only plug-ins, to enhance functionality.
    Lux Low-Level Plug-ins

Soon Lux will support plug-ins to bypass Android API limitations. These plug-ins serve to replace the overlay system Lux uses to make adjustments for Night/Astronomer modes and brightness in general. The plug-in library is free to use for non-commercial development, and can be found here:

Lux Plug-in Library | Nexus 4 Sample Plug-in Code

How to make a plug-in

There are two approaches to making a plug-in for Lux. The passive and the active method. The former is as easy as providing a set of superuser commands for Lux to interpret and apply. These command correlate to functions such as setting pixel RGB or brightness levels. This is the type of plug-in the Nexus 4 sample linked above takes.
    The active method requires you produce your own code to perform RGB/brightness adjustments. This might include importing a device specific library to do the heavy lifting, and then returning empty superuser commands back to Lux.

Getting Started

Simply import the Lux Plug-in Library source into your IDE as an Android Library Project, and then create a new Android app which extends PassiveDisplay.java.

PassiveDisplay provides hooks into Lux's plug-in framework, which you can use to provide superuser commands for Lux to execute. These commands correlate to functions such as setting RGB values. Take a look at the sample Nexus 4 project to see how it's all done.
    Finally, in your new project's AndroidManifest.xml file, add the following:

Code:
        <activity
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.MainActivity"
            android:label="@string/app_name" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

<receiver
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.LuxBroadcastReceiver"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.search" />
            </intent-filter>
        </receiver>

<service
            android:name=".[B]MY_PLUGIN[/B]"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="[B]YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE[/B]" />
            </intent-filter>
        </service>

Be sure to replace YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE with the name of your plug-in's package, and MY_PLUGIN with your extended PassiveDisplay class.

And that's it! Now you're ready to test!

Enabling Plug-In support within Lux

To enable plug-in support, you must check 'Enable plug-in support' in the Advanced section of Lux settings. Enabling this option forfeits all responsibility of mine for any issues caused while using Lux. Plug-in's can cause very real damage to your device if they're written incorrectly - don't use plug-ins from sources you don't trust!
    Testing your plug-in
    Testing is critical for creating a good plug-in. You are dealing directly with system files, and can easily cause damage if you do not know what you're doing.

DO NOT RELEASE A PLUG-IN WITHOUT TESTING IT ON THE TARGET DEVICE FIRST!

Ensure that the following work with your plug-in installed:
    • Astronomer Mode
    • Night Mode
    • General brightness adjustment
    • Lux readings functional

BE METICULOUS WITH YOUR IMPLEMENTATION OF isSupportedDevice()!
    Modifying system files on the wrong model/kernel may cause irreversible issues!

Licence
    Code:
    Copyright © 2013 Vito Cassisi

You may not use this library except in compliance with the following:
        - It cannot be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances, unless explicit permission is granted in writing from the author.
        - Modifications to this library may not be distributed.

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
    distributed under this licence is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
    Lux v1.99.8 released (staged rollout)

- Added CF.lumen support (don't need CF.lumen active, just install the driver). Acts as a plug-in for all Android 4.4+ devices. Please buy the pro version to support his work.
    - System autobrightness enabled during calls
    - Option to shake at lockscreen to increase brightness
    - Option to prevent drop in brightness in landscape
    - Enforced persistent notification, added system removal method
    - Fixed dashboard width issue
    - Fixed notification priority resetting at boot
    - Misc. fixes
    Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that people are having issues with the paid version. I'm working on hotfixes at the moment. A lot of these bugs don't appear on my test devices, which is why regressions happen seemingly randomly. I'm working hard on finding a reliable way to reproduce and test these issues to prevent this happening again.
    Apologies to everyone for not being around lately. I've been answering support via email.

A new release is rolling out on the market to 5% of users. Please use the 'Send Feedback' button in Lux preferences if you experience issues. Also, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.