General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
That's one sexy looking phone, the only thing that I would like to improve it's the camera, don't get me wrong it looks nice but something just a little bit better could make the difference plus an extra memory slot could come in handy

Thanks for the suggestion I'll keep it mind

usually mid range phones sport a 5MP. And the video recording is 720p, this was an exception.
Also for the slot, see, Galaxy S Advance or wait for Galaxy S3 Mini (Though you can check specs on GSMArena even now)

Reactions: Joekite

Joekite

Oct 18, 2012
usually mid range phones sport a 5MP. And the video recording is 720p, this was an exception.
Also for the slot, see, Galaxy S Advance or wait for Galaxy S3 Mini (Though you can check specs on GSMArena even now)

I kinda liked the samsung galaxy s advance, though I haven't seen any updates if this phone it's going to have ICS or JB, thanks for the reply, and hopefully this doesn't seem like I'm bothering too much (sorry if it's). But what about a high range phone that's just a little above the already mentioned phones, do you know any possible candidates?

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
I kinda liked the samsung galaxy s advance, though I haven't seen any updates if this phone it's going to have ICS or JB, thanks for the reply, and hopefully this doesn't seem like I'm bothering too much (sorry if it's). But what about a high range phone that's just a little above the already mentioned phones, do you know any possible candidates?

I think the Xperia P falls into that category.

"I got my values. So you can keep yours, OK?"

H'D

Oct 19, 2012
First android under $180

Are there any good unlocked GSM phones for under $180 folks? First android! :cyclops:

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com

First off, this is a device suggestion thread, so no point regarding bothering :highfive:
Now, S Advance will get a direct Official JB update soon. Maybe Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.
And above this range, with your requirements of a better camera, check out,
Motorola RAZR XT910
Motorola Atrix 2
and a bit more higher, you have a clear choice of Galaxy S2

I think the Xperia P falls into that category.

Xperia P is a great one too, except for the fact that it has a 1305mAh battery that barely lasts for a day with minimal use.

simon_cbb

Dec 7, 2008
Great thread! Really enjoying it - reading from people who like to mod their phones, I get the info I really need.

Im on, the little, lovely Xperia U and enjoying it!

Sent from my ST25i using xda premium

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
Great thread! Really enjoying it - reading from people who like to mod their phones, I get the info I really need.

Im on, the little, lovely Xperia U and enjoying it!

Sent from my ST25i using xda premium

I myself was considering buying this phone.
Can you answer a few questions for me please :)

. How is the overall experience.
. Temple run runs smooth?
. Battery backup on average use (sms, call, socializing, some games)?
. How do you find the typing experience compared to a 4 inch screen if you have used that before?

H4CK_H0PP3R

Oct 9, 2012
Mumbai
Moto G4 Plus
HELP

Hi friends,

please help me out to buy tablet,

I dont know much about there hardware configuration,

I want tablet specialy for hacking & fun purpose,like it can be rooted ,new ROMS,i can use backtrack on it n sum other distro & can pentest on it,

wht i wanted 1 gb RAM & highest n awesome processor

+dual boot will be awesome i mean i can use windows or andorid or anything at 1 click (IF AVIALBLE)

+ upgradable

+calling function wil b nice with sim card for using 2g +3g

+ i hv huwaei 7.2mbps modem E1750C unlocked, it can b work on it,

+ Battey must be awesome with gr8 battery backup cz my bro have HTC ka mobile usko full day charging pe rakhke cel use karna padtaa he, i dnt want to face this charging problem

+ front & back camera normal to take pics n for video caling

+ awesome touch scren experiance

+ awesome reviews cz i always buys 1 time only not again n again

+ other normal n amazing features like expandable memry including 16 gb internal memroy,wifi ,usb 2.0 usb 3.0 ports,good sound quality for music n bla bla etc..

My budget is 15-20 K INR but i can add more budget also if above budget fails my requirement

So plz guide me as i know there are some branded tabs also but no idea whether they meet my requirements or not, brand is not important for me, i know some tabs starts with 3.5K but stil i am looking for best long time usable tab,

Help me i will be very very much thankfull to you guys.

help me

Last edited:

Joekite

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions, now it's a matter of deciding which is the one that I'm going to buy, there's a promotion for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus so I might go for it

Thanks Everyone

TheNightHawk223

Jun 17, 2012
Finally managed to rake in almost enough money for a tablet. Now I'm just wondering if the Nexus 7 is still a good buy as I won't be able to upgrade for a good while and it will take me some time (Around a month) before I can finally get it. I know I should then choose in a month but as I have other reasons of needing to choose early. I also heard of the Acer Iconia A110 which is apperantly almost the same as the Nexus with a sd card slot but minus the nexus benefits. Any advice for which is best?

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

Ghost ic0n

Oct 17, 2012
Houston
ghostic0n.deviantart.com
It's called AC!D mod.

"I got my values. So you can keep yours, OK?"
Thanks yet again! I'm so rooting for an S now, time to search up some sweet ballistic cases and quality screen protectors along the way as I hunt for a sealed, in-box deal. :D

As far as the AC!D mod, it looks professional with all of the addons it gives. But, most of its features rely on the Beats Audio engine/stuff. And Beats (by Dr. Dre,) is strictly for bass-heavy pop/hip-hop songs..... and I'm a metal-head. Along with it, a bunch of punk rock. I hope that the mod doesn't mess up the sound and make the vocals and other instruments unclear due to heavy/loud bass.

BTW, does anybody have experience with this mod in terms of listening to rock, metal/progressive metal, and/or punk rock? Oh, and I'm not going to be using Beats headphones. Instead, I have a pair of Monoprice 8323 noise-isolating headphones which cost only $24, and compete (if not even win at points) with $200+ Beats headphones (according to many professional reviews.)

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Thanks yet again! I'm so rooting for an S now, time to search up some sweet ballistic cases and quality screen protectors along the way as I hunt for a sealed, in-box deal. :D

As far as the AC!D mod, it looks professional with all of the addons it gives. But, most of its features rely on the Beats Audio engine/stuff. And Beats (by Dr. Dre,) is strictly for bass-heavy pop/hip-hop songs..... and I'm a metal-head. Along with it, a bunch of punk rock. I hope that the mod doesn't mess up the sound and make the vocals and other instruments unclear due to heavy/loud bass.

BTW, does anybody have experience with this mod in terms of listening to rock, metal/progressive metal, and/or punk rock? Oh, and I'm not going to be using Beats headphones. Instead, I have a pair of Monoprice 8323 noise-isolating headphones which cost only $24, and compete (if not even win at points) with $200+ Beats headphones (according to many professional reviews.)

Well, I listen to a certain number of music styles, such as electronics, rock, punk rock, a little of pop in general (not the ****ty pop most listen), and, IMO, it is perfect for me.

"A scattered dream that's like a far off memory
A far off memory that's like a scattered dream"

Reactions: Ghost ic0n

CPQR

Oct 5, 2012
Okay, So I have a Xperia U st25i and am a happy user. Now I want to gift my girl a new phone and I am stuck between Sola & U.
They are almost same spec wise but I think Sola has a better shape. I can get them for almost same price on eBay.
So what are your suggestions, any other phone in this price range you guys can suggest?

maged6294

Oct 20, 2012
I don't know what should I buy between Samasung Galaxy S3 Mini or Samsung Galaxy Note 2? Can some one hlep me to fix this "problem" for me? :D

Brute.Force

phone with huge dev support

Friends i want to buy a phone which has huge dev support and custom roms. i know about htc hd2 and nexus one but they are lil bit expensive. so recommend me a phone for which i can expect custom roms for future android. i can afford the following
1. htc aria
2. htc legend
3. htc explorer
4. samsung galaxy gio
5. htc hero
6. any other phone in the same price range
plz dont recommend zte blade as it is not available in my area.
Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)