[TIP] Installing DSP-based equalizer on Android 2.2 stock ROMs.

Search This thread

mrcrassic

Sep 28, 2007
New York
As most of you know, alankila published a modified AudioFlinger library that gives rooted Android installations much-needed DSP capabilities. (See here.) This has been upstreamed to Cyanogen-6 development branch and has been released in CM6 stable and a few other cooked ROMs. However, there wasn't much information on installing it on stock ROMs with locked bootloaders/recovery images (i.e. will only accept Google-signed update ZIPs), so here's a tutorial on how to do that. This has been tested working on my Nexus One running FRF91 and the stock HTC Passion bootloader and recovery image.

NOTE. You must be root!

1) Download the attached dsp-signed update ZIP. I'm not sure which version this is, but it lets you control both the speaker and headset curves independently.

2) Extract its contents to a local folder or to the SD card on the phone.

3) Using ADB, drop to a root shell (adb shell, then su.) and remount the system partition as read-write.
Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
Afterwards, make a backup of libaudioflinger so that you can restore it in case your phone blows up.
Code:
mv /system/lib/libaudioflinger.so /system/lib/libaudioflinger_bak.so
. Finally, copy DSPManager.apk to /system/app and the modified libaudioflinger on your SD card to /system/lib.
Code:
mv [path-to-files]/DSPManager.apk /system/app/
Code:
mv [path-to-files]/libaudioflinger.so /system/lib/

4) Reboot.

If your phone fails to boot, just delete the libaudioflinger library you copied over and restore the original from the backup you made.

Enjoy! It's fantastic!

Attachments

• dsp-signed.zip
    90.6 KB · Views: 10,228
Reactions: Kyonex and 3n3rg1c

mrcrassic

Sep 28, 2007
New York
Of course, you could also just install ROM Manager, then flash a custom recovery image and install the update ZIP that way if it's easier.

jdubdieslo

Sep 24, 2009
Austin, Texas
Does this app control ear piece, speaker and headphones? also does it apply the settings to calls as well as music? thanks. I have it on my phone for evils sense rom but not really noticing much of a difference. thanks.

sg1dan

Feb 28, 2010
installed through clockwork recovery on LeoFroyo rom 2.0.1Beta3, and it works like a charm. the sliders could use + and - icons on side to help change the numbers.

dgart08

Aug 4, 2010
All the dsp settings do is make my speakers clip...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

mrcrassic

Sep 28, 2007
New York
I would be careful with equalizing the speaker; if it's like most phone speakers, it's pretty fragile...

@jdub: It works for speakers, headphones and bluetooth devices. It affects all sound on the phone.

Same here, no matter how slightly (0.3dB or so) I change the level of any band, it clips when connected to my car stereo, with headphones the issue is also present but less annoying.

I found if you have your Nexus connected to your car stereo, the speakers will not clip if you turn the headset volume down one or two notches below 100%.

Docmjldds

Jan 27, 2010
Henderson, NV
The framework etc. in MIUI is not compatible with this mod. will cause bootloops... But if you find a solution please share, I'm really missing the DSP Manager and Trackball Alerts in succession on the MIUI Rom!!

I am running DSPManager v1.0 on my N1 using Rodriquez v1.1 ROM. I actually used Titanium Backup to install from a backup. The apk is in my /data/app folder. APK is listed as com.bel.android.dspmanager-1.apk

cyberspaced

May 11, 2010
I am running DSPManager v1.0 on my N1 using Rodriquez v1.1 ROM. I actually used Titanium Backup to install from a backup. The apk is in my /data/app folder. APK is listed as com.bel.android.dspmanager-1.apk
Yes, you can install and run the app, but i doubt it will actually do anything, might also be the reason Rodriguez removed the app from his ROM....

Osleg

Oct 12, 2010
To preven cliping enable audicompression to lowest level. Works for me :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As most of you know, alankila published a modified AudioFlinger library that gives rooted Android installations much-needed DSP capabilities. (See here.) This has been upstreamed to Cyanogen-6 development branch and has been released in CM6 stable and a few other cooked ROMs. However, there wasn't much information on installing it on stock ROMs with locked bootloaders/recovery images (i.e. will only accept Google-signed update ZIPs), so here's a tutorial on how to do that. This has been tested working on my Nexus One running FRF91 and the stock HTC Passion bootloader and recovery image.

NOTE. You must be root!

1) Download the attached dsp-signed update ZIP. I'm not sure which version this is, but it lets you control both the speaker and headset curves independently.

2) Extract its contents to a local folder or to the SD card on the phone.

3) Using ADB, drop to a root shell (adb shell, then su.) and remount the system partition as read-write.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    Afterwards, make a backup of libaudioflinger so that you can restore it in case your phone blows up.
    Code:
    mv /system/lib/libaudioflinger.so /system/lib/libaudioflinger_bak.so
    . Finally, copy DSPManager.apk to /system/app and the modified libaudioflinger on your SD card to /system/lib.
    Code:
    mv [path-to-files]/DSPManager.apk /system/app/
    Code:
    mv [path-to-files]/libaudioflinger.so /system/lib/

4) Reboot.

If your phone fails to boot, just delete the libaudioflinger library you copied over and restore the original from the backup you made.

Enjoy! It's fantastic!