[Q] Most Basic Root

Search This thread

binalith

Jul 18, 2012
Sorry to ask such a noob question, but I am having trouble sifting through al my options here. I have rooted a couple phones, early d-incs, and a nook, I am just looking for the most basic root operation for dinc 4glte so that I can access the hotspot feature. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. also I was about to start going through the dirtyRacun s-off but was scared off by the warning about revoking support for windows. I have a linux notebook, is it better to use that OS for rooting, in general? thanks.

Sum Dumb Guy

May 10, 2013
Sorry to ask such a noob question, but I am having trouble sifting through al my options here. I have rooted a couple phones, early d-incs, and a nook, I am just looking for the most basic root operation for dinc 4glte so that I can access the hotspot feature. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. also I was about to start going through the dirtyRacun s-off but was scared off by the warning about revoking support for windows. I have a linux notebook, is it better to use that OS for rooting, in general? thanks.

Here you go: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2214653

junkmail9

..I was about to start going through the dirtyRacun s-off but was scared off by the warning about revoking support for windows. I have a linux notebook, is it better to use that OS for rooting, in general? thanks.
The reason for yanking windows support was due to the flaky nature of the windows drivers, depending on windows version for this phone. Originally, unlimited.io supported Windows XP only, but people kept trying it on Windows 7, or Windows 8, etc. My guess is they got fed up with people ignoring the simple instruction of using Windows XP.

If you're comfortable with Linux, you'll be fine with DirtyRacun. Its quite painless and does not require giving HTC your serial number (buried in the token) to unlock the bootloader. However, make sure you're still on the "proper" software build version (2.17.605.2 or earlier). No telling what will happen if you're on the latest OTA...