[mod]Boosting Signal Strength (hspa/gprs)

Search This thread

vampirexhunter

Jul 2, 2010
we it looks like the files are creates on boot so I'm not sure if we r able to remove or disable this "throttling"... I guess u could try the sd cache method to delete it on boot every time. but wat I really want is to some how decompile these files and modify the throttling to allow large down and up speeds to trick the system instead of just deleting them..

any takers?

Try this.... I edited the file in editor, deleted everything. 0 byte file now. Changed the permission to nothing.

Seemed to work for me.

I get a constant 2.5-3.5M D/L and 1.0-2.0M U/L!!!

EDIT: I hit 3.6M Upload! wow..

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Last edited:

cyapalmpos

Feb 12, 2011
I don't know how ya'll are getting those speeds. Must be the network out here in Colorado sucks. I only see a little over 1MB down even after tweaking with the ro.ril entries. I'm running DSC .7.

cdzo72

I don't know how ya'll are getting those speeds. Must be the network out here in Colorado sucks. I only see a little over 1MB down even after tweaking with the ro.ril entries. I'm running DSC .7.

in your build.prop those values can be at the very end if it didn't have them already, but also make sure to leave two blank lines AFTER the last entry.

Also, reboot at least twice clearing any caches before seeing any differences

cyapalmpos

Feb 12, 2011
Yep. Rebooted and all that. Several times.

build.prop (with a blank line at the end):
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 (tested with '14' as well. no diff)
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=5 (tested with '2' as well. no diff)

Just ran 3 tests (was sure to close all other apps and turn off sync before running the tests) and averaged:
1752 kbps down
55 kbps up

I get better upload when in the city. I'm at home right now. My download stays about the same.

Last edited:

cdzo72

Yep. Rebooted and all that. Several times.

build.prop (with a blank line at the end):
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=5

Just ran 3 tests (was sure to close all other apps and turn off sync before running the tests) and averaged:
1752 kbps down
55 kbps up

I get better upload when in the city. I'm at home right now. My download stays about the same.

I don't know what to tell ya then. I live in Costa Rica and I have the quickest mobile plan available which is 4Mbps, with the tweaks I can get almost 3 of that, without the tweak the most I get is nearing 800 Kbps.

So I would have to say it's an incompatibility with your network maybe

vampirexhunter

Jul 2, 2010
Here are my settings that I've been getting 4MB DL/3MB Upload.

#Signal Boost
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.ril.hep=0
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
net.dns1 8.8.8.8
net.dns2 8.8.4.4

Agent5150

Mar 6, 2008
I have tried all kinds of combination of these so called signal boosting tweaks... they are absolutely of no value. My upload/download speeds stay pretty much the same.

cdzo72

I have tried all kinds of combination of these so called signal boosting tweaks... they are absolutely of no value. My upload/download speeds stay pretty much the same.

1) they do NOT boost signal... it aids network data
2) don't say it doesn't work just because you don't note any differnce... for many of us these tweaks DO make a considerable difference

vampirexhunter

Jul 2, 2010

1. Carrier could be throttling your connection.
2. The settings you tried, don't really work with your carrier.
3. It won't boost the Network Speeds if your already at CAP.
4. There could be some throttling services/configs on your phone, entered by your carrier, preventing you from using full speeds.. (Like Rogers AT&T)

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
1. Carrier could be throttling your connection.
2. The settings you tried, don't really work with your carrier.
3. It won't boost the Network Speeds if your already at CAP.
4. There could be some throttling services/configs on your phone, entered by your carrier, preventing you from using full speeds.. (Like Rogers AT&T)

How do u where they aapply these configuration files to throttle u?

Sent from the SuperStreak! ;-)

cyapalmpos

Feb 12, 2011
Ok so get this. I removed all the ro.ril entries but kept the throttling fix and rebooted a few times. Was getting an average 1.75 down and 1 up. Not too shabby for my phone and area.

I then checked ALL the advanced tweaks in autokiller memory optimizer pro and got some astounding results! See the screenshot.

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,111
Last edited:

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
If anyone has anymore info on the ro.ril. properties, I would greatly appreciate it.

It would also be great if every shared the script they use with which network.

You'll need a rooted Streak and Root Explorer.

Add/edit these entries to "/system/build.prop" (you must mount to r/w and open with Text Editor). Make sure that these are not already in your build.prop, if they are, then just edit the values.

ro.ril.hsxpa=2 (higher values are invalid until proven otherwise)
[0=UMTS] [1=HSPDA only] [2=HSPDA & HSUPA]

ro.ril.gprsclass=10 (Class 10 to save battery)
The Streak supports Class 12 GPRS, set to 12 to increase EDGE speed

ro.ril.hep=1 (no info available, no change when turned off)

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
Enable "dual transfer mode" on EDGE networks; requires different GPRS class setting. Only set this to 1 if your network allows simultaneous transfer of Circuit switched (CS) voice and Packet switched (PS) data over the same radio channel (ARFCN).

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 (Cat 8 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 (Cat 6 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.enable.a53=1 (enable increased ciphering on HSDPA/HSUPA)

ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1 (Adds the 3G prefix e.g. Optus 3G, etc.)

All Carries have their own specific settings they should use.

As Im using Optus Prepaid in Australia these are the setting I use. Lots of experimenting went into these and my 3G works better than ever. Best SpeedTest I've got was D2.98/U1.52 48ms ping on 4 bars, average is about D2.5/U1.0 80ms.

Code:
ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.ril.hep=0
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.enable.a53=1

Thanks to nickshertzer here are the setting for AT&T

NOTE
After adding, save and remount to r/o. You might need to restart TWISE to get this completely working.

Happy Streaking =)

This will not increase the power of your antenna or increase radiation. All this does is choose the best profiles for EDGE/HSDPA/HSUPA. Its proven to increase speed and connection strength.
I don't see some of these code line entries... So should I add them? If so do I put them in any particular order or any #Tag like some as in i.e.: #USB tethering

I only see/think I have the first 2

I'm using LXDroid v0.2 and my carrier is T-Mobile

Last edited by a moderator:

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
Working for me where-as to before this edit/mod, I always had an Edge Connection... Now after it I am always having a 3G or HSPA+ connection... Trying it out for a few hours to see if anything stops or decreases.

I just added 5 lines (6 really)
#Signal boost
ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6

LXdroid already had added
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 and ro.ril.gprsclass=12, I left that at 12 since I have an extended battery.

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
Hrrmmm Oddly enough I maxed hsd and hsu out to the highest settings and now I've got a constant HSPA connection where-as before it was always jumping around dancing back and forth between 3G and H signal...

This is what I changed:
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.hsupa.category=9

I know typically anything on hsd past 9 doesn't make a difference usually but it is weird that since changing that I always get a HSPA connection

Urbanos

Apr 24, 2012
can you clarify

Try this.... I edited the file in editor, deleted everything. 0 byte file now. Changed the permission to nothing.

Seemed to work for me.

I get a constant 2.5-3.5M D/L and 1.0-2.0M U/L!!!

EDIT: I hit 3.6M Upload! wow..

hey Vampirexhunter - can you clarify which file you edited and deleted everything from?

thanks!

ianice

Dec 12, 2012
i followed this steps carefully
but why my value is 32/28/9 Upload First?
i try it again and again
im always end up to 32/28/9, Upload First
i want 32/28/9, Download First not Upload First
What should i do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone has anymore info on the ro.ril. properties, I would greatly appreciate it.

It would also be great if every shared the script they use with which network.

You'll need a rooted Streak and Root Explorer.

Add/edit these entries to "/system/build.prop" (you must mount to r/w and open with Text Editor). Make sure that these are not already in your build.prop, if they are, then just edit the values.

ro.ril.hsxpa=2 (higher values are invalid until proven otherwise)
    [0=UMTS] [1=HSPDA only] [2=HSPDA & HSUPA]

ro.ril.gprsclass=10 (Class 10 to save battery)
    The Streak supports Class 12 GPRS, set to 12 to increase EDGE speed

ro.ril.hep=1 (no info available, no change when turned off)

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    Enable "dual transfer mode" on EDGE networks; requires different GPRS class setting. Only set this to 1 if your network allows simultaneous transfer of Circuit switched (CS) voice and Packet switched (PS) data over the same radio channel (ARFCN).

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8 (Cat 8 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.hsupa.category=6 (Cat 6 is the Streak's max)

ro.ril.enable.a53=1 (enable increased ciphering on HSDPA/HSUPA)

ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1 (Adds the 3G prefix e.g. Optus 3G, etc.)

All Carries have their own specific settings they should use.

As Im using Optus Prepaid in Australia these are the setting I use. Lots of experimenting went into these and my 3G works better than ever. Best SpeedTest I've got was D2.98/U1.52 48ms ping on 4 bars, average is about D2.5/U1.0 80ms.

Code:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10
    ro.ril.hep=0
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    ro.ril.enable.a53=1

Thanks to nickshertzer here are the setting for AT&T
    How to Increase AT&T 3G Speed on Android

• Includes step by step to editing build.prop via ADB or Root Explorer.

NOTE
    After adding, save and remount to r/o. You might need to restart TWISE to get this completely working.

Happy Streaking =)

This will not increase the power of your antenna or increase radiation. All this does is choose the best profiles for EDGE/HSDPA/HSUPA. Its proven to increase speed and connection strength.
    Seriously..?? Not trying to offend? but yet you post in open forum that he sounds like a novice? Were you a novice once? Remember those days? Then lay off man, let the man do his thing and mind your own damn business. He's trying to help. Instead of busting on him, why not say thank you? What the hell is wrong with people these days...damn

it doesn't bother me... there's too many trolls on the net to care about ****. as long as people help out the troll just fade away :)
    guys, keep in mind, If you're on AT&T or others, I was digging through many files in my Streak. There are like a dozen Throttling.smali files, as well as in system/data/..somewhere there I found the throttling log created. Yes I deleted it and speeds increased. So even if you don't have a warning message, you may still be getting throttled. The carriers are sneaky.

Can u give us a step by step on where to find these?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA Premium App
    No offense, but you sound like a novice at Android development. Where did you hear about this build.prop tweak? Do you work for a cell tower contractor? Seriously I'm not trying to offend you, just confused.

I did my own research on google for these tweaks. They seem legit. Go have a look ;)
    I did some additional testing with values and found some things that Amon_RA was doing with the Nexus One.

Currently on SimpleStreak 1.2 perfmod with 353 AMS

Code:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hep=1
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
    ro.ril.hsxpa=5

Place that at the end of your build.prop and make sure there is a blank line at the very end. Reboot twice and test.

I went from 439kbps - 900kbps down / 1079kbps up without these settings to 2978kbps down / 1104kbps up

Your mileage may vary.