Guide: How to upgrade/downgrade/restore official firmware on your V30.

Search This thread

padmanek

Dec 17, 2012
Guide: How to upgrade/downgrade/restore OFFICIAL firmware on your V30.

Requirements:

Bootloader does not need to be unlocked. All variants can be flashed using this method.

Only fully official, LG signed and blessed, unmodified firmware can be flashed using this method. No custom roms or recoveries!

Lets go:
  1. Download and install LG USB drivers from here.
  2. Download and install LG UP 1.14.3 from here.
  3. Download .dll file for our V30, attached at the bottom of this post.
  4. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model
  5. Create folder called "common" and unzip the .dll file inside of it.
  6. Connect the phone to your PC
  7. [Optional]Open Device Manager and verify if under Ports you can see LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (COM...) to make sure the LG driver was installed correctly and the phone is visible.
  8. Launch LGUP.exe
  9. Select process called "UPGRADE" Warning: Selecting Refurbish will wipe user data.
  10. Select the firmware file.
  11. Click Start!
  12. Your phone will automatically reboot into Download mode and upgrade firmware.
  13. There's no need to do a factory reset afterwards but you can if you encounter any issues ofc. (I haven't)

Attachments

• LGUP_common.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 11,670
Last edited:

Mad Medik

Jan 28, 2006
The Hammer!
Requirements:

Bootloader does not need to be unlocked. All variants can be flashed using this method.

Lets go:
  7. [Optional]Open Device Manager and verify if under Ports you can see LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (COM...) to make sure the LG driver was installed correctly and the phone is visible.
  8. Launch LGUP.exe
  9. Select process called "UPGRADE" Warning: Selecting Refurbish will wipe user data.
  11. Click Start!
  12. Your phone will automatically reboot into Download mode and upgrade firmware.
  13. There's no need to do a factory reset afterwards but you can if you encounter any issues ofc. (I haven't)
My apologies if I misunderstood. Is this a way to apply alternative ROMs even on models with locked bootloaders and the ADB Commands stripped out such as the H 933? I know you said already that it will work on any variant but I had lost hope that this model would ever allow modding of the rum. I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the intention of your guide.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Reactions: j.jones9811

padmanek

Dec 17, 2012
My apologies if I misunderstood. Is this a way to apply alternative ROMs even on models with locked bootloaders and the ADB Commands stripped out such as the H 933? I know you said already that it will work on any variant but I had lost hope that this model would ever allow modding of the rum. I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the intention of your guide.

It clearly says in the title of the thread and in the requirements that you can only flash full official (stock) firmware using this method...
Nothing custom. Everything needs to be RSA signed by LG.

thank you. I would love to try the MIUI ROM on this device.

Like above, only official (stock), LG signed and blessed firmware can be flashed using this method.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChazzMatt

Mad Medik

Jan 28, 2006
The Hammer!
It clearly says in the title of the thread and in the requirements that you can only flash full official (stock) firmware using this method...

Like above, only official (stock), LG signed and blessed firmware can be flashed using this method.

Oh well, wishful thinking amd my mistake. I read it as upgrade or downgrade (eg various images) or restore stock.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

astikv

May 30, 2009
firenze

I meant in 1 future.

thenoble06

Jul 21, 2007
Requirements:

Only fully official, LG signed and blessed, unmodified firmware can be flashed using this method. No custom roms or recoveries!

Lets go:
  8. Launch LGUP.exe
  11. Click Start!
Out of interest, will this work on a rooted V30. I seem to struggle to get LGUP to boot my phone into download mode. Is it because I have twrp as recovery?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

padmanek

Dec 17, 2012
Last edited:

jcsww

padmanek

Dec 17, 2012
Just so I don't brick my device, I have an H930DS, therefore any firmware marked for this model (https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h930ds-firmwares/), regardless of region, would work on my phone? My phone is currently on HK region version, can I flash the Indian firmware for the same model?

I have no idea about cross region firmware flashing. I have not found any official documentation about how each of LG UP's functions exactly works, it's all user experience here on XDA. Supposedly, every region has firmware signed with different RSA key which is verified upon trying to flash and it will reject you if it's a mismatch. Also I doubt Indian region has the same bands as HK so you might cripple your mobile signal if you happen to be on a band that is not supported in Indian firmware. Personally I don't recommend trying it but its up to you :) Please share your experience if you do :p
I know for sure that all H930 sold in EU, regardless of what carrier can be flashed with the same H930 unbranded EU firmware, which removes all carrier bloat and branding.

Reactions: Moriatier and sasc

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
@sasc Check the RSA signature of your firmware and compare it to the firmware you want to flash. If they match, then it won't brick your phone. Your phone may not work, but at least your will have access to DL mode. If they don't match, you will definitely brick your phone..

-- Brian

Reactions: Moriatier and sasc

spacebar2011

Jan 3, 2011
Berlin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I have no idea about cross region firmware flashing. I have not found any official documentation about how each of LG UP's functions exactly works, it's all user experience here on XDA. Supposedly, every region has firmware signed with different RSA key which is verified upon trying to flash and it will reject you if it's a mismatch. Also I doubt Indian region has the same bands as HK so you might cripple your mobile signal if you happen to be on a band that is not supported in Indian firmware. Personally I don't recommend trying it but its up to you :) Please share your experience if you do :p
I know for sure that all H930 sold in EU, regardless of what carrier can be flashed with the same H930 unbranded EU firmware, which removes all carrier bloat and branding.

India and HK are both global GSM regions. The bands are the same, just like Europe.

spacebar2011

Jan 3, 2011
Berlin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
@sasc Check the RSA signature of your firmware and compare it to the firmware you want to flash. If they match, then it won't brick your phone. Your phone may not work, but at least your will have access to DL mode. If they don't match, you will definitely brick your phone..

-- Brian

Could you please tell us what's the best way to check the signatures?

spacebar2011

Jan 3, 2011
Berlin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Okay.. I bring good news! You can definitely flash any KDZ as long as the model number is exactly the same. I flashed the HK Reginal kdz on my H930DS from India and I now have working VoLTE and VoWiFi.

In short, get the CORRECT kdz of the desired region for your model number, use LGUP, Upgrade option, and let it do its thing. Simple. This keeps the device official and under warranty.

PS - Please backup all data before doing this. Even though it is just an upgrade, play it safe. Just in case!

Reactions: sasc

manishvy

Nov 6, 2011
Mumbai
Okay.. I bring good news! You can definitely flash any KDZ as long as the model number is exactly the same. I flashed the HK Reginal kdz on my H930DS from India and I now have working VoLTE and VoWiFi.

In short, get the CORRECT kdz of the desired region for your model number, use LGUP, Upgrade option, and let it do its thing. Simple. This keeps the device official and under warranty.

PS - Please backup all data before doing this. Even though it is just an upgrade, play it safe. Just in case!

Thats great news ?. One question - to get VoWifi working, person at the other end should also have VoWifi? Or we can call VoWifi to VoLte. I have never tried VoWifi so just curious to know.

sasc

Jul 9, 2010

Thanks amazing news! I will try this asap to get Volte on my HG 930DS (India carrier)

sasc

Jul 9, 2010

So...kind of didn't work.

I used the H930DS marked India in lgfirmwares. The flashing process went fine, except for the phone getting stuck right after the last restart and the screen went blank. Waited a couple of mins and forced a restart using the power button..booted fine but all data was gone. Thankfully i did backup some stuff, but not all..

Checked the Software version, it says V11i-GLOBAL-COM, which is obviously not the India version. And, I still dont have Volte!! So, this was futile..

Can anyone point me to a certified H930DS India KDZ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide: How to upgrade/downgrade/restore OFFICIAL firmware on your V30.

Requirements:

Lets go:
    8. Launch LGUP.exe
    11. Click Start!
    That one worked, thanks
    Can you recommend me a simple way of rebooting into TWRP without a command from PC? Right now volume buttons only allow me to boot into download mode and fastboot screen. I've tried a couple of TWRP managers from GooglePlay, but they don't look like they can reboot the phone into bootloader. I remember doing that with CWM on a couple of my old devices, is this possible with TWRP too?

It's in my WTF Instructions. ;)

I specifically recommend an app for that.

STRONG SUGGESTION: After successfully doing all this, when you finally boot back to LG Oreo, install THIS app to easily facilitate rebooting to TWRP recovery in the future: Recovery Reboot
    J8Snf9
    Just so I don't brick my device, I have an H930DS, therefore any firmware marked for this model (https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h930ds-firmwares/), regardless of region, would work on my phone? My phone is currently on HK region version, can I flash the Indian firmware for the same model?

-- Brian