Infuse APN Settings help

Search This thread

flo7002

Aug 23, 2010
Hi guys, just got the new Infuse. I can't get data/3G. Voice works. I went into the APN settings, and there are two apns. One is called ATT Phone and one ATT WAP. I cannot choose between the two, I cannot delete them, I cannot edit them, I cannot add a new APN. Looking at the ATT WAP apn is missing the username and password, and I guess that's why it doesn't work.

I've never encountered an android device where I couldn't modify the apns, so I don't know what to do. Any ideas? Thanks! :confused:

shadow65781

Jan 11, 2009
willard
What provider are you using?
Look in the market for apn. I forget the name of it, but there are several apn managers in the market that will let you backup and edit your apn some Android phones require two to work it seems. And if memory serves one of them is mostly blank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: tyboytwist

flo7002

Aug 23, 2010
I'm using ATT. I played around it some more, and finally it let me save a new APN and I'm able to select it, so now everything works fine...

DarkH2O

Feb 23, 2011
That was the normal setting for the phone as you described.

It should not have been a need for you to edit anything. My phone had the same settings and worked fine.

Heuser1

Apr 19, 2011
I just went to setting>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names

Then i added the new APN that my service provider her in the Dominican Republic gave me.

Have not reset the phone or tried anything yet.

Is this the correct process? WHere have you guys been trying to change it that it will not let you?

rocksteady

Jan 21, 2008
No-Mans-land Michigan
www.youtube.com
Here are the exact setting that work for me..
AT&T Settings.

Name: ATT WAP
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
Port: 80
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: None
APN type: internet + mms

I hope this helps like it helped me.
Rocky.

Deathmvp

Sep 9, 2011
Rocky is correct. I was having a similer issue and I have to add a new wntry by going to the Apn and adding a 3rd one like this. The name did not matter as I called mine test and used the same setting that Rocky posted (I got them from youtube shwing how to add it).

Now I have 3 APN and it works correctly.

sackarou

Apr 24, 2011
THANK YOU!!! I am on infused 2.2.3 and everything was working peachy until a few days ago when I could no longer connect to data. I could get phone calls, but no data. I tried flashing a new modem, tried a new kernel, and was fixin to restore to stock because I didn't know what else to do until I say Rocky's post with the APN settings. This worked like a charm. Thanks again!!!

tgriffttu

Jul 7, 2011
I was going to post this the other day but wanted to make sure it worked first. I stumbled onto this post in the SGS2 forums which gives the simplest solution that have given me the best result. The other suggested APN settings I've seen in various threads never worked for me. I wouldn't expect as monumental a jump in bandwidth as he shows, but it seems to be doing well otherwise.

[FIX] AT&T SGS2 Data Speed Issue's (Correct APN Settings)

Last edited:

colman999

May 8, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Tgrifftto, did you try and successfully use those apn's on an infuse? I tried them and didn't get a connection, I'm running CM7.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using XDA App

tgriffttu

Jul 7, 2011
I used them with the Infused v2.2.3 ROM and they worked well. I flashed to GSInfuse 1.1.5 today however to try on there because the last time I flashed this ROM it was bouncing sporadically between 3G and HSPA+ and was hoping it would alleviate that issue. So far no luck.

The settings suggested before is one of the default APNs (can also be set by hitting "menu/reset to default" on the APN settings screen), so may be what you wanna go with if it works for you. Another option I found that has worked for several people is along with the default settings specified previously including the following settings as well:

User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1

It seems to definitely be a "results may vary" kindof thing.

thumbsinblack

Aug 7, 2011
Seattle, WA
I was going to post this the other day but wanted to make sure it worked first. I stumbled onto this post in the SGS2 forums which gives the simplest solution that have given me the best result. The other suggested APN settings I've seen in various threads never worked for me. I wouldn't expect as monumental a jump in bandwidth as he shows, but it seems to be doing well otherwise.

[FIX] AT&T SGS2 Data Speed Issue's (Correct APN Settings)

I actually tried that myself and had MMS issues, but I think I have a working hybrid of the two. I have been getting decent speeds and MMS works but I have been getting erratic results and need to test more.

Edit: Ok so dont judge me on this if it doesn't do anything for you but the data seems convincing to me for the moment. I tweaked a few things that have been posted previously and one thing in particular seems to have changed things for me. I removed the http:// from the MMSC server address and dropped the specified MMSC Proxy. I honestly don't know why it would have altered the routing so drastically and I do not have a traceroute to show if it maps differently this way but the attached shows the results I'm getting and for some reason adding the http:// and the specified MMS proxy (66.209.11.32) always slows me down noticeably. I cant measure my signal loss (other than on the phone) to see if anything else happens to be interfering when I have the http:// and the proxy address in place (cloud bounce reflectivity, solar flares, increase usage on the high tension lines between me and the tower) but these results are what I get every time I swap settings. The bottom 3 results on the attached are with http:// and proxy included and the top 4 are without it. Phone was sitting on my desk in the same place for all tests with the only changes (I could control anyway) being the APN setting. You'll see my ping times are almost identical so my routing couldn't have changed very drastically, but the numbers mean something is different.
Here are the settings I am using

Name: ATTINTMMS (just what I called it call it whatever you want)
Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: Not Set

As always this may or may not help you depending on the network architecture where you live and your local data traffic avg, but this is what it did for me.....

Attachments

• snap20111018_144643.jpg
    snap20111018_144643.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

sl0v4k

Jan 10, 2011
NYC
AT&T Settings.

Rocky.

im running ics miui and under APN Type it just opens a field to type into like a text. when i reset settings to default it sets this to *...just a star. i see everyone has this internet + mms but i dont get any options. this is causing my calls to be dropped drastically and my data to cut in and out.

albee320

Oct 20, 2011
Los Angeles/San Diego
im running ics miui and under APN Type it just opens a field to type into like a text. when i reset settings to default it sets this to *...just a star. i see everyone has this internet + mms but i dont get any options. this is causing my calls to be dropped drastically and my data to cut in and out.

I havent tried it but i posted a possible solution in the miui thread...my apn settings disappeared after i flashed pikachus thunderbolt but reappeared after a restart....i dont think that your problem is that easy tho?
Also when you finally figure it out, i read in the Thunderbolt thread that changing APN from "wap.cingular" to "phone" will increase data speeds....according to linuxbozo

Hope this helped

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium

Reactions: sl0v4k

sl0v4k

Jan 10, 2011
NYC
I havent tried it but i posted a possible solution in the miui thread...my apn settings disappeared after i flashed pikachus thunderbolt but reappeared after a restart....i dont think that your problem is that easy tho?
Also when you finally figure it out, i read in the Thunderbolt thread that changing APN from "wap.cingular" to "phone" will increase data speeds....according to linuxbozo

Hope this helped

yea the "phone" thing does give me faster speeds. i still get cut out a lot though :( i love how tech support doesnt know sh*t lol. its been happening to me on all roms.

AJerman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
Guys, one thing to note is that CM7 (and in turn MIUI), don't like multiple APNs. AT&T runs their ROMs with two different APNs, keeping the data APN separate. This is fine on any ROM based on AT&T's releases, however, if you try to use two on CM7, you'll likely run into issues. The best thing to do is disable the "phone" APN and only use the "wap.cingular" APN. If you have both on your phone, you can do this by adding "default" to the list of APN types for the "wap.cingular" APN (or you should be able to entirely delete, just make sure to add default to "wap.cingular").

If you do run an AT&T based ROM, I highly suggest you do use both with "wap.cingular" for mms and supl APN types, and "phone" for default. This is the absolute only "trick" you can do to make the phone's data a little faster (since build.prop changes don't do anything).

Here are the details for both:

"wap.cingular" APN:
Name: ATT MMS
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: mms,supl (and default if you are only using this APN)
APN protocol: IPv4

"phone" APN:
Name: ATT
APN: phone
MMSC: Not set
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS Port: Not set
APN type: default

I notice a definite increase in response time with the "phone" APN. Pages seem to load a lot faster, regardless of what actual speed increases it gives you, so I recommend using that if you aren't on CM7 or MIUI. If you are, well, stick to single APN or else you'll see data issues, especially in Market.

It's not "internet + mms", you specifically type in "internet,mms". It is just a text field. You have to type in what you want. Actually, "internet + mms" may be a valid setting in that field, but I've always seen it comma separated, so that's what I'd stick to. I'm not sure what valid APN types there are, the ones I know of are mms, supl, internet, and default. default obviously being the catch all for anything not configured in another APN.

Last edited:
Reactions: sl0v4k

sl0v4k

Jan 10, 2011
NYC
Guys, one thing to note is that CM7 (and in turn MIUI), don't like multiple APNs. AT&T runs their ROMs with two different APNs, keeping the data APN separate. This is fine on any ROM based on AT&T's releases, however, if you try to use two on CM7, you'll likely run into issues. The best thing to do is disable the "phone" APN and only use the "wap.cingular" APN. If you have both on your phone, you can do this by adding "default" to the list of APN types for the "wap.cingular" APN (or you should be able to entirely delete, just make sure to add default to "wap.cingular").

If you do run an AT&T based ROM, I highly suggest you do use both with "wap.cingular" for mms and supl APN types, and "phone" for default. This is the absolute only "trick" you can do to make the phone's data a little faster (since build.prop changes don't do anything).

"wap.cingular" APN:

"phone" APN:

I notice a definite increase in response time with the "phone" APN. Pages seem to load a lot faster, regardless of what actual speed increases it gives you, so I recommend using that if you aren't on CM7 or MIUI. If you are, well, stick to single APN or else you'll see data issues, especially in Market.

It's not "internet + mms", you specifically type in "internet,mms". It is just a text field. You have to type in what you want. Actually, "internet + mms" may be a valid setting in that field, but I've always seen it comma separated, so that's what I'd stick to. I'm not sure what valid APN types there are, the ones I know of are mms, supl, internet, and default. default obviously being the catch all for anything not configured in another APN.

ooohh thanks very much buddy. my issue was when i typed that with the plus sign i would loose data completely. actually everything except default and * cause me to loose my data. i am running miui and i did notice that the 2 apns make the phone go ape****. i kinda setup my own through a lot of research and googling and i came up with this which is making it go flawlessly except for the speed its not as fast as it can be. my setup is:

Name: AT&T
Port:80
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Server: <not set>
Authentication Type: None
APN Type: <not set> (this seems to work best this way)
APN Protocol: IPv4

for me if i leave out the username and pass then my data connection cuts in and out. like it never wakes up when i start using phone

Last edited:

AJerman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
ooohh thanks very much buddy. my issue was when i typed that with the plus sign i would loose data completely. actually everything except default and * cause me to loose my data. i am running miui and i did notice that the 2 apns make the phone go ape****. i kinda setup my own through a lot of research and googling and i came up with this which is making it go flawlessly except for the speed its not as fast as it can be. my setup is:

Name: AT&T
Port:80
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Server: <not set>
Authentication Type: None
APN Type: <not set> (this seems to work best this way)
APN Protocol: IPv4

for me if i leave out the username and pass then my data connection cuts in and out. like it never wakes up when i start using phone

See, I thought I remembered one of them needing the username and password, however, I don't have one in my phone and it seems to work just fine. *shrug* Whatever works I suppose! But yeah, on MIUI just stick to single APN. I would assume not setting the APN Type would cause it to automatically default to everything using that APN (if it's the only one).

sl0v4k

Jan 10, 2011
NYC
im one of the infuse owners and i noticed something with the signal issue ive been having for a very long time. data fix didnt work for me nothing seemed to work for me. the best results i get is with KI3 modem. also when i try to set "network type selection" to 3G only sometimes it automatically resets to 3G preffered which is what gives me the issues. but the thing i noticed is i have these severe issues of service cutting in and out when i am on umts. when i force my phone on hsdpa my download speeds almost triple my calls r beautifully clear no cutting in and out. any thought on this? is there a way i can have my phone on hsdpa only? and default the setting to 3G only in network settings? thanks in advance for any input i would really like to solve this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AT&T Settings.

Rocky.
    What provider are you using?
    Look in the market for apn. I forget the name of it, but there are several apn managers in the market that will let you backup and edit your apn some Android phones require two to work it seems. And if memory serves one of them is mostly blank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA Premium App
    I have the same problem. Can you give me an instruction of how to fix it?

Hope this helped

"wap.cingular" APN:

"phone" APN: